• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How did you come up with your screenname? [merged]

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have posted this before, but it looks like it was not in this thread. So here goes, maybe again.

When I was in college, I studied poetry and modern poetry was my thing. My three favorite poets are GM Hopkins, Dylan Thomas & TS Eliot and I spent a semester independent study on the poetry of Gerard Hopkins.

"Heathpack" is a word from the Hopkins poem 'Inversnaid'. Heathpack is a made up word that means "little clump of heath" (Heath as in heather), I've never seen it used anywhere else in the English language. This poem is a favorite for a lot of technical poetry reasons, but it also paints a beautiful picture of a piece of pretty Scottish countryside with the very ugly name 'Inversnaid'.

I also used to own a loopy Gordon Setter named from this poem- her "official" name was Beadbonny Ash. But we called her Beatnik. A Beadbonny ash is an ash tree covered with beads of water such that it looks "Bonny".

Possibly more than anyone wanted to know.

H

Did you go to the capital of Independent study Projects and Group Independent Study Projects in Providence, RI? I did an independent study project on faith informed worldviews in 20th century fiction, and led a Group Independent Study Project about Tolkien at Brown in the 70's. That has nothing to do with my screen name, but your post just caught my eye.

My screen name is a play on my first and last names transposed and twisted.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Did you go to the capital of Independent study Projects and Group Independent Study Projects in Providence, RI? I did an independent study project on faith informed worldviews in 20th century fiction, and led a Group Independent Study Project about Tolkien at Brown in the 70's. That has nothing to do with my screen name, but your post just caught my eye.

My screen name is a play on my first and last names transposed and twisted.

I went to the University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill. Awesome place, great education, transformative experience. My undergraduate degree is in English literature. If I had stayed one more semester, I could have completed a second major in Chemistry. I always liked Chemistry because it was the poetry of the sciences.

Now I am a veterinarian.

H

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When my husband and I met, I was a "techno-igno" --- Ian is at the opposite end of the technological spectrum --- he is an imbedded firmware engineer. When he found out that I had no real life email address (as opposed to the email set up by my IT guy at my office), he made one for me. Glypnir is one of his favorite programming languages. It is the screen name that he uses for almost everything. And glypnirsgirl is the name he gave me for my yahoo address. I have used it for all forums ever since.

elaine

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My maiden name starts with Bo. Bo just kind of stuck with me. My husband calls me Bo. My Dad called me Sandi Bo.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some time, I collected blown glass birds from Murano, Italy. Once I discovered timesharing, I thought my dream would come true and I'd visit the island. Haven't made it over to Italy yet, but maybe some day. I go by Jo, my middle name.
When Nissan introduced the Murano, several friends suggested I should buy one. :D

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Strand" as in Myrtle Beach's, a.k.a the Grand Strand. My favorite destination in the world. Feels like home...

mrpickle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sunday school Teacher.

I was teaching a sunday school class of three girls ages 4 and 5, we were colouring and they decided to call me all sorts of names. Like your a tomato, your a peach,Your a diaper head when they got to your a pickle, they said it a few times and I said; That is Mr. Pickle to you! They laughed, loved it the started calling me Mr.Pickle. The Girls are 21-22 years old now and still friends.

Now everyone at my church calls me Mr. Pickle.

The real funny part is when People figure out that my name is really Mr. Peacock. They all wonder why I changed it?

I tell them Witness protection.:cool:

Ken Peacock

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I live on Quiet Pines Lane, surrounded by Ponderosa pine trees.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
About 25 years ago, I used to work the night shift and I broke one of the rules
At work(nothing serious).The supervisor was talking to me about it and I talked my
way out of it. After work the crew went out for a few cold ones. There were
About 10 or 12 guys and they were joking about what happened to me that
Night and one of my friends said "he can talk his way out of anything. He's really
Slippery". It the only nickname that's ever stuck with me and only with that
Small group of 10 or 12 guys.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a bird named Presley who looked like she came out of the Tiki room in disneyland. DVC was my initiation into the TS world, so I named myself after my bird who had a DL look. I no longer have her and sometimes I get sad from seeing my own name.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stumbled across this old thread...

Ran across this when doing a search tonight on a different topic. Thought it would be fun to revisit some old posts and memories of our 'screen names,' and maybe newer members might want to join in. :)

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of new TUGGERS since this thread first started. So, it will be interesting to see the answers again or for the first time. :)

I'll start by repeating that RICOBA is an acronym for our families given names.

RI = Rick, me

CO = Cora, my wife

B = Ben, our son

A = Annie, our daughter.

We have used this acronym for lots of things over the years. :)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I had a bird named Presley who looked like she came out of the Tiki room in disneyland. DVC was my initiation into the TS world, so I named myself after my bird who had a DL look. I no longer have her and sometimes I get sad from seeing my own name.

All this time I thought you were an Elvis fan with a dark sense of humor, picking a zombie as your avatar LOL!

I first got online with Compuserve. In order to cut costs I agreed to be a system operator (forum moderator) to get a free account. We were called sysops for short, and of course with my last name I quickly became SmithOp and it has stuck with me since. I moderated the golf gaming forums, we had online tournaments with leaderboards and prizes, it was a lot of fun at the time.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
See Post 97 on page 4.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Mine's pet related too. Bella is a nickname for our dog.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
For years my user name was just my name but then for some reason I had to register again so I chose PrairieGirl for where I live - Saskatchewan! LeAnn

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This thread has been around so long, I thought I'd posted in it a long time ago. And I did, in fact, post back in 2007, about my then-screen name. I had it changed when it became obvious to me that I wasn't going to use that old name any longer. That was a long time ago.

So "JeepGuyNW" cleverly became "BMWGuyNW." Shows real imagination, huh? :)

The reason is pretty transparent: I drive a BMW, and I live in the Pacific Northwest. I like BMWs, have owned several, and plan to hang onto the one I currently have.

If you ever see a post here from someone named PorscheGuyNW, you'll know I've hit the Lottery. :)

Dave