• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Restaurants on Oahu and Big Island

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife and I are going to Hawaii in a couple weeks and will spend a few days on the Big Island, and 10 days on Oahu. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend "can't miss" restaurants, and maybe options that are not all super expensive. I know that generally speaking, everything costs more there, but what are the local "hole in a wall" places that can't be missed?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
It's not a hole in the wall type place, but the House Without A Key is a unique experience. There's nothing more relaxing than enjoying a fine meal at sunset while watching a former Miss Hawaii dance a graceful hula. Another plan of ours is to pig out on the lunch buffett at Duke's, and then go to the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian for drinks and pupu's (at sunset of course). On a budget? Grab some fast food and have a picnic on the beach.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The best Mai Tai's I ever had were at Don the Beachcomber at the Royal Kona.
It's nice for lunch, I tried Poke for the first time there too. Lunches were good
And reasonable. You'll have more reasonable dining on the Big Island.:D

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Here are my favorites for the Big Island. I'm starting at the north end and moving down on the Kona side:

Hawi (north end of island):
Bamboo Restaurant

Kawaihae Harbor:
Café Pesto - there is also one in Hilo

Waikoloa resort area:
Merriman's Mediterranean Café in the King's Shops

Waimea (inland from Waikoloa):
Merriman's

Back to the coast, north of Kona:
Four Season's (these two restaurants are quite expensive)
ULU Ocean Grill
Beach Tree

Kona:
Huggo's

Kealakekua (south of Kona):
Keei Café

Volcano Village:
Kilauea Lodge

crf450x

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our must have place whenever we are in Oahu is Helena's Hawaiian Food. Here is their website http://www.helenashawaiianfood.com/ . They are only open Tuesday to Friday and we try to go there at least twice while we are there. Best hawaiian food on the islands, hands down. Do not miss the pipikaulau, beef with watercress and the chicken long rice. We have tried most everything on their menu and these are the three dishes we always get. We have eaten at House without a Key (HWAK) and it is nice there for happy hour and watching the band play with the hula dancer but for a truly authentic Hawaiian meal go to Helenas. It isn't fancy and the parking is a pita, but so worth it. This IS THE "Hole in the Wall" that is worth going out of your way to eat there. Much better IMO then Ono's Hawaiian food which may be better know.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our favorite place on Oahu based only on the food -- no ambiance or atmosphere but the best fish we've ever eaten.

Dean's Drive Inn
Address: 45-773 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe, HI 96744

If you google you will see great reviews.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Here are my favorites for the Big Island. I'm starting at the north end and moving down on the Kona side:

Hawi (north end of island):
Bamboo Restaurant

I second the recommendation for Bamboo.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So many choices!

On Oahu:

If you want authentic manapua, rice cakes, and other Hawaiian style things to take back to your hotel, check Libby's Bakery at the foot of Kaiihi Street in downtown Honolulu. It doesn't come any fresher. http://www.yelp.com/biz/libby-manapua-shop-honolulu?start=80

When driving around Oahu and you need a break from the road, try Ted's Bakery in Sunset Beach. They make the best Chocolate Haupia pie I've ever had. It's low key, but well worth the stop. http://www.tedsbakery.com.

We like the coffee drinks from The Coffee Gallery in Haleiwa. Think Starbucks, but with an island flair. http://www.roastmaster.com

For fresh catch-of-the-day seafood served in a fusion-type experience, try Nico's Pier 38 Restaurant on the Honolulu waterfront. They also serve a great mixed drink, and a very good lunch menu. They were featured on Diner's Drive Ins and Dives a few years ago. We like it anyway. ;) Arrive early for dinner seating - the lines get to be long. http://www.nicospier38.com

On the Big Island:

In Hawi: As mentioned, the Bamboo Restaurant. Excellent lunch menu. And the ice cream from the shop across the street is great.

In Kona: The Kona Brewing Company is more than a micro brewery. Sure, they serve a lot of excellent beers to suit anyone's taste, but their menu of sandwiches and such is excellent. Well worth the wait to be seated. http://konabrewingco.com

And in downtown Hilo, as mentioned, Cafe Pesto. They have awesome food, a great, easy atmosphere, and the ABSOLUTE BEST Lilikoi Iced Tea I've ever had. http://cafepesto.com.

Dave

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
BI Choices

When staying @ Kings Land on the BI, our favorites in that area were the Cafe Pesto (3rd vote in this thread!) and Harbor Grill & Seafood Bar (very good, but laid back and casual, which we like).

In the Kona area, just outside the airport, we really like the Pine Tree Cafe. It's cafeteria style, but the menu is huge, portions are generous, and food is very good. We always hit this place when on BI and often take food back to the resort upon arrival, or stop here before the flight back home. Last time there, I read that they will do delivery in the Kona area.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
A few other choices in Waimea:

Red Water Café
Village Burger

If you are planning a trip to see the Waipio Valley, stop in Honokaa for breakfast or lunch at Grandma's Kitchen. They are only open for dinner on Friday and Saturday and are closed on Monday.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/grandmas-kitchen-honokaa

...and of course stop for a malasada at Tex's before heading back to the West side

HatTrick

Reaction score
what are the local "hole in a wall" places that can't be missed?

Oahu:

Try the Hukilau Cafe in La'ie, off of Kamehameha (Hwy 83). The address is 55-662 Wahinepe'e St.

Then get back on Kam Hwy heading south, turn left on Anemoku St and right on Naupaka St to La'ie Point.

Limited parking, but a great view.

laie-point11.jpg

Farther south along the Kam Hwy (51-666) is the Crouching Lion Bar & Grill in Ka'a'awa. Even if you don't eat there,
pull into the parking lot to view the Crouching Lion rock formation.

CrouchingLion9.jpg

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Alan Wong's is can't miss on Oahu.

We went for my birthday in April and the four of us agreed it was one of the best restaurants anywhere.

http://www.alanwongs.com

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jackey Reyes

A local restaurant just a bit up the hill from Kailua/Kona. Go for Happy Hour and lots of appetizers are half price. We call them a tapa dinner for us.
In Oahu we go about once a week to the South Shore Grill just a bit away from the zoo. Can walk from Waikiki. A real hole in the wall but inexpensive,busy,and few tourists.
For a good sushi meal go to the Marriott's Japanese restaurant on Sunday or Monday about 4:30 and wait for them to open Everything is half priced.
We save up coupons from Hawaii's radio station for months before we go and get good half priced meals there also.

JeffandJamie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone! This is so helpful! Lots of places to try!

Thanks again!

Jeff

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Dave above and say Nicco's is a don't miss if you like fresh fish. Lunch is a lot cheaper than dinner and served until 4 p.m.

For fresh catch-of-the-day seafood served in a fusion-type experience, try Nico's Pier 38 Restaurant on the Honolulu waterfront. They also serve a great mixed drink, and a very good lunch menu. They were featured on Diner's Drive Ins and Dives a few years ago. We like it anyway. Arrive early for dinner seating - the lines get to be long. http://www.nicospier38.com

vbk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great thread to hold onto, thanks JeffandJamie!
If in Volcano, definitely try Thai Thai.
If you are into trying something different, Marukami Udon on Kuhio, Waikiki. Don't let the line scare you away. Best time time to go is between 2.30-5pm.

Bon appetit!

Johnsp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe, Marriott, Worldmark
I second Alan Wong's on Oahu and Marriman's in Waimea. Both are excellent. Roy's Restaurants are also a favorite of mine. I have been going there since the original Roy's opened in Hawaii Kai. In addition to the restaurant in Hawaii Kai on Oahu there is also a Roy's in Waikiki across from the Halekulani and in Koolina. Went with the family to Waikiki Roy's last June and it was super. On the Big Island there is a Roy's in Waikoloa also very good.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oahu

Not really a restaurant....Matsumoto Shaved Ice...Gotta get it with the beans. Yeah I know snow cones dont have bean in them but just do it.

The Big Island....Kona Brewery is where we go every time. The beer is wonderful and we've never had a bad meal.

Punalu'u Bake Shop... All the pastries are wonderful and thier bread is to die for. You can buy some of thier bread at Wallmart in Kona. We always go there...Once on the way to the Volcano.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
When we go to BI it's never complete without a trip to Hilo farmers market and a meal at original kens house of pancakes, diner style with waitresses that have been there since they opened.

http://www.kenshouseofpancakes.com/

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here are a ton of suggestions from an old thread...

FROM "What would you recommend in Honolulu? (2012 thread)" - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163139

Here are some food selections.

- Fatty's for noodles right next to International Marketplace ($)
- Hiroshi's for Yakiniku Waikiki ($$$$)
- Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin Waikiki ($$$)
- Hard Rock Cafe for Jumbo Combo ($$)
- Yardhouse for drinks and pupus
- Burgers on the Edge on Kapahulu ($$)
- The Counter for Burgers in Kahala ($$)
- Alan Wong's. Get the 5 or 7 course Prix Fixe with wine pairings. ($$$$)
- Pineapple Room (operating by Alan Wong's) in Macy's ala Moana ($$$)
- Maile's Thai Bistro in Hawaii Kai ($$)
- Curry House ($$)
- So Gong Dong for Korean BBQ ($$$)
- Royal Garden in ala Moana hotel for Dim sum ($$$)
- Atlantis Seafood waikiki for Fish ($$$)
- Harbor Village Koko Marina for Chinese ($$$)
- Shirokiya Food Court for Japanese ($$)
- Sasabune for sushi ($$$$)
- Whole Foods in Kahala for salad bar, asian bentos, Pizza, sushi ($)
- Cafe Maharani for Indian ($$$)
- Hanaki for Shabu Shabu in Manoa ($$)
- Tokkuri Tei for sushi on Kapahulu ($$$)
- Bogarts on Monserrat for breakfast ($$$)
- Kaila in market city for breakfast ($$)
- Jack's in Aina Haina for breakfast ($)
- Los Chaparros for Mexican ($$)
- Good to grill. Prime rib lunch plate $10 in Kapahulu ($)
- Frost City for Snow Ice (much better than Shave Ice) ($$)
- Waiola Shave Ice ($)
- Yotteka-ya for Ramen ($$)
- Leonard's in Kapahulu for malasadas ($)
- South Shore Grill for fish tacos on Tues ($)
- Ted's bakery for Chocolate Haupia pie ($$)
- Ono Hawaiian Foods for Hawaiian ($$)
- Lulu's in Waikiki for fish sandwich and entertainment ($$)
- Rum Fire (Sheraton) for drinks and pupus ($$$)
- DK Steak House waikiki for Prime Steak ($$$$)
- Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville for bar, entertainment, pupus ($$$)
- Mai Tai bar in ala Moana center ($$$)

-----------------------------------

Fast food:

- Subway
- Curry house
- Panda express
- Pearl's Korean
- Yummies Korean
- Taco Del Mar
- Teddy's Burgers
- Bale for vietnamese
- Blazin steaks
- Puka dog

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Found this site recently - http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2014/08/22/where-would-you-eat-at-on-your-first-day-in-hawaii/

Where or what would you eat on your first day in Hawaii?
Posted on August 22, 2014

This question is posed to everyone, whether you’re an expat coming back home, an experienced Hawaii visitor, or a newcomer, a.k.a. “malahini”.

Being a lifetime Kama’aina (resident) myself, here’s my list of suggestions for you on the island of Oahu:

Hawaiian food – Highway Inn, Helena’s, Ono’s, Young’s, People’s Cafe
Plate lunch – Zippy’s, Richie’s Drive In, Rainbow Drive-In
Manapua – Libby’s, Char Hung Sut, Chun Wah Kam
Okazuya – Toshi’s, Gulick Delicatessen, Matsumoto’s, Mitsuba, Mitsuken, Nuuanu, Fukuya, St. Louis Delicatessen
Poke – Ono Seafood, Tanioka’s
Local comfort food – Oxtail Soup (Pho Bistro 2, Asahi Grill or The Alley), Saimin (Zippy’s Zip Min or Palace Saimin)
Store or open market – Yataimura Food Court @ Shirokiya, KCC Farmers Market
Anykine local grinds – Alicia’s Market, Marujyu Market, Masa & Joyce
Fine dining- Alan Wong’s, Roy’s (preferably Hawaii Kai)
Bakery- Kamehameha, Liliha, Leonard’s
Shave Ice – Shimazu, Waiola, Matsumoto
Wherever you grew up eating at in your home town (for me that would be Kin Wah Chop Suey in Kaneohe)
Who wants to eat? Hit the beach or sit by the pool sippin’ on Mai Tais all day long!

Stress, this must be your FIRST DAY in Hawaii, as one of those I MUST EAT THIS FIRST deals!

Have a wonderful trip :)

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our favorite (in Honolulu) is The Beachhouse in the Moana Surfrider hotel. A little pricey, however, the atmosphere outside at night can't be beat.

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Holuakoa in Holualoa on Big Island

We like the Holuakoa café in Holualoa, which is near Kona and worth a visit for the art galleries as well as the restaurant.