• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1st time to Kauai!!

taylorco

Reaction score
Hello fellow Tuggers!
We are taking our first vacation to Kauai. Hubby booked last minute (like 4 days from now!) Since we don't have a ton of time for research I'm looking for all the veterans tips and tricks!

It will be me and my husband, our 9 month old and my 15 year old nephew (to help babysit so we can have some adult time!) What are the must see's and must do's? We've been told Puka Dog is a must eat.

We are staying in a 2 bedroom at the Lawai Beach Resort. Are there any perks to attending their timeshare presentation?

On a side note, I am very intrigued with MVC and would not mind a tour of the one of the facilities (no way I would buy new, but it would be nice to see in person) Any benefit to booking a presentation with them?

Thanks in advance for the tips :)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Hello fellow Tuggers!
We are taking our first vacation to Kauai. Hubby booked last minute (like 4 days from now!) Since we don't have a ton of time for research I'm looking for all the veterans tips and tricks!

It will be me and my husband, our 9 month old and my 15 year old nephew (to help babysit so we can have some adult time!) What are the must see's and must do's? We've been told Puka Dog is a must eat.

We are staying in a 2 bedroom at the Lawai Beach Resort. Are there any perks to attending their timeshare presentation?

On a side note, I am very intrigued with MVC and would not mind a tour of the one of the facilities (no way I would buy new, but it would be nice to see in person) Any benefit to booking a presentation with them?

The biggest must-see on Kauai is Waimea Canyon. I would not call Puka Dog a must-eat, but it is something I would do when in Poipu. My own personal favorite restaurant on Kauai is Duke's at the Kauai Marriott Resort. It is the great Duke's food PLUS an outstanding salad bar included with every meal.

Given your interest in Marriott, I would recommend booking a sales presentation IF you are good at saying no, because you should not buy points--they are a good product but are extremely expensive to buy, especially direct from Marriott. You can take a tour at Kauai Lagoons and see that resort--the villas are the best in the Marriott system. They may also still be giving tours at Waiohai, but I am not sure about that. The villas at Waiohai are fairly standard Marriott quality if you want to see the "typical" type of Marriott villa.

For taking the tour, they will give you Marriott Rewards points--probably 15,000 or 20,000 but this continually changes. You will probably also be given other gift options if you don't want the points. You can sign up for a tour in the lobby of any of the three MVCI timeshares on the island.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Duke's is also our favorite restaurant. It's not just the food, and the salad buffet, it's the view. It has an open air view of Nawiliwili Bay, with palm trees on the beach. If any cruise ships are leaving port, it's fun to watch them maneuvering as they leave the harbor. You can also enjoy watching the surfers, paddleboarders, and outrigger canoers as you dine.

Don't forget to visit the Spouting Horn blowhole. It's a very short drive and local artists have jewelry, paintings, and crafts at the flea market. Poipu Beach Park is also nearby. Even the 9 month old should have fun there. An activity that the whole group might enjoy is Smith's Fern Grotto River Boat Tour. If you don't want to do a luau, at least go to the free hula show at the Poipu Shopping Center, every Monday and Thursday at 4:30 pm.

I'd skip the timeshare presentation. You might get a reasonable sales person, but you're more likely to get a jerk that won't listen when you say no, and it will be such an unpleasant experience that it won't be worth whatever perks they offer. Don't waste your vacation time. There's too much to see on the island. If you really want to check out a resort, have lunch at their poolside bar. While you're there, you can stroll the grounds and see what you think without any arm twisting.

One last tip. Early in your trip, stop by The Right Slice so you'll have plenty of pie for your condo.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with others about Dukes. Our fave. And Waimea Canyon. Last time we were there we did the outrigger canoe that leaves from the beach in front of Dukes. I'd suggest it as a fun treat for your nephew and one of the adults, since of course, baby is too young for such an activity.

Also, the grass spot across from your resort (in front of the restaurant) is a great spot for all to enjoy sunset.

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a nice adult activity, as you say. We loved the Beach House restaurant. A fine dining experience and an ocean facing table just before sunset makes a wonderful dining evening with spectacular views. We enjoyed Napalii coast tour. Take one from the north shore, its a better and quicker tour and you can enjoy Hanalei Bay while there. The earlier tour is good as you can avoid rough ocean chop that comes in later.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you can still arrange it, I highly recommend a Cap'n Andy's catamaran trip along the Napali Coast. They have several types of trips, including snorkeling day trips and evening sunset cruises. Some have a catered meal included. The sunset dinner cruise goes along the coastline you can't get to by car, and turns around at Kalalau Valley, which was featured in the movie Jurassic Park. Same-day tickets may be cheaper, but start by checking their website: www.napali.com.

In Lihue not far from Costco is a place called The Right Slice. They make excellent pies, both savory and dessert pies, that are excellent. You can buy a slice at a time, or get the entire thing. Last time we were there, we got a family-sized chicken pot pie, some cheesecake, and a lilikoi (passionfruit) pie for dessert. They were outstanding! http://rightslice.com

Kauai is a wonderful place, and you're sure to enjoy yourselves. Have fun!

Dave

Bill4728

Reaction score
The Lawai Beach Resort is in Poipu and the best place to eat is right across the street "Beach House"

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the Kauai Revealed book is as valuable as the other Hawaiian Island books are. See if you can get one before you leave and read it on the plane for ideas.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

taylorco

Reaction score
I keep hearing about Dukes! Whats good there? Is it family friendly?

What about a luau? Best one to see?

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
Snorkling...

Hello fellow Tuggers!
...We are staying in a 2 bedroom at the Lawai Beach Resort. Are there any perks to attending their timeshare presentation?

One of the better snorkeling spots is just across the road from where you are staying.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Smith Family Luau is probably the most family-friendly on the island. (Don't let the non-Hawaiian name fool you - these folks are Islanders through and through.) They've been at it a long time, and know their stuff. Food was very good, and the performers were first rate. Tag it with a Fern Grotto trip up the Wailua River (leaves from the same location) for a great family-oriented afternoon/evening of fun. http://www.smithskauai.com/luau.html

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Order any fresh fish at Duke's and you won't be disappointed. I've tried all 4 of the ways they prepare fish and I like all of them. Don't do like my SIL did. She ordered steak at Duke's and fish at Chuck's Steak House and was disappointed at both places. I'd suggest pigging out at the salad bar, saving some of your dinner to take home, and ordering a Hula Pie for dessert.

hawaii-deserts-hula-pie-whalers-village-web.jpeg

We've tried many different luau's over the years and none really stand out. If you plan to take advantage of the free drinks, pick one in Poipu. Try and pick a night when there's little chance of rain so it will be outside. We had an awesome sunset one year while we attended the Drums of Paradise Hyatt Kauai Luau, which is held right next to the ocean.

45%20-%20the%20sky%20is%20not%20fake-M.jpg

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

The fresh fish of the day. I eat there (downstairs where the prices are cheaper) at least 3x in two weeks and always order the fresh fish. I don't even bother to ask what it is anymore. It's never fixed the same way two times in a row, but it's always great. The best Thanksgiving dinner I ever had was at Duke's: mac nut crusted ahi with a sauce on the side that I didn't recognize but liked (and I'm not a sauce person) with a mixed green salad. Mmmmmm.

KevJan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of our "must-do's" is stopping at JoJo's Shave ice when we come back from Waimea Canyon.

RSchwartz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Casual inexpensive Meal

If you apever are looking for an outdoor casual restaurant that serves great hamburgers and sandwiches, try Keoki's Paradise right in a Poipu shopping center. Most nights they even have live music. For a great value, ask to sit in the bar area. We have been there many times and always look forward to it.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
If you apever are looking for an outdoor casual restaurant that serves great hamburgers and sandwiches, try Keoki's Paradise right in a Poipu shopping center. Most nights they even have live music. For a great value, ask to sit in the bar area. We have been there many times and always look forward to it.

Keoki's also has great fresh fish of the day. It's owned by the same company as Duke's.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Keoki's also has great fresh fish of the day. It's owned by the same company as Duke's.

And it is only slightly less upscale and expensive than Duke's.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Makana Terrace

I would highly recommend you have a special date night dinner at the Makana Terrace at St. Regis Princeville. The view from the outdoor dining room is spectacular, and if you time your reservation for about an hour before sunset, you should also plan to bring your camera for some unbelievable sunset pictures of Bali Hai (actually Makana Mountain, but referred to by visitors for decades as the mythical Bali Hai). It is utterly beautiful. Oh, and the food is also very good!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would highly recommend you have a special date night dinner at the Makana Terrace at St. Regis Princeville. The view from the outdoor dining room is spectacular, and if you time your reservation for about an hour before sunset, you should also plan to bring your camera for some unbelievable sunset pictures of Bali Hai (actually Makana Mountain, but referred to by visitors for decades as the mythical Bali Hai). It is utterly beautiful. Oh, and the food is also very good!

The view is awesome. We used to go their for lunch, but last time we went, they weren't open for lunch anymore. We've never tried dinner there because it's such a long drive from where we stay in Poipu.

DianneL

TUG Member
Reaction score
St. Regis

We love Duke's and eat there every time we go to Kauai. I second the opinion to have a special dinner at the St. Regis and time it for sunset. It is expensive, but very beautiful, an experience you will never forget. We love Kauai, our favorite among the Hawaiian islands. In fact we are going back in the spring.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Puka Dog in the plaza in Koloa. Waimea for sure. Spouting Horn is fun. I really like the guided tours through the National Botannical Gardens. Chilling on the Beach is a must. We love the Shrimp Station and don't understand the hype for Bubbas Burgers. The coffee plantation is small but interesting for coffee lovers.

What kinds of things does your nephew like? He should take a surfing lesson or consider a kite surfing lesson. Lots of people really like stand up waterboarding.

Good luck with the weather. Luckily you have lots of ocean and islands between you and the hurricanes, so all should be good. Check with your airlines for travel advisories.

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai suggestions

A couple of suggestions for Kauai:

Costco has the cheapest gas on the island.
Costco chicken Caesar salad is great for a beach picnic.
Mark's Place (Puhi Industrial Park - not too far from Costco) is a great place for take-out (chicken katsu is really good).
Happy Hour at Keoiki's is reasonable, and you can get back to LBR in time to catch the sunset (if you get Hula Pie, save the receipt - next one is free).
National Tropical Botanical Garden (across from Spouting Horn) is interesting, but the 15 year old would probably be bored.
Hanalei Bay - nice beach, stunning views and the 15 yr old could take paddleboard or surfing lesson.
I'd skip the 'welcome orientation'. It's basically vendors selling activities. (Just talk with the concierge and save an hour and a half.)
When I was at LBR in July the Alii pool was undergoing renovation.
The beach across the road is great for snorkeling, but the 15 yr old might find more of, oh let's say 'interest', down at Poipu Beach. ;-)

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
On your way to the canyon, stop and have breakfast Gina's @ Zumi's
french toast is delicious, bacon or portugese sausage, yummmm!

I would also recommend Tropical Dreams Ice Cream in ka pa'a
they have a Java Lava or something like that that is delicious

I wouldn't recommend the catamaran trip with the 9mo old.

Lydgate Beach park would be a good choice, they have an area that is closed off that is really calm

Don't forget Bubba's Burgers, they are in the shopping center near the LBR shopping area.

Spouting horn is a short walk from the resort if so inclined

We just got back from there (LBR) last month and we had a great time.

Have fun!!

vbk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai day trip from the South

Some great advice...definitely do take out at the Right Slice. They have family packages that you can take with you to LWB and heat up for dinner on arrival day. Must try the Passionfruit/Mango dessert pie.

Anyway take a full day and head up to the north to Ke'e beach for a safe kid beach but bring your snorkel gear to check out the snorkel gear and hiking boots to check the first mile or so of the Kalalau trail - views are lovely. Then head back through Hanalei to check out town and have lunch and maybe hit the beach or pier for a little more R&R. Of course Waimea lookouts are a must!

You have a great place to stay too , take advantage of LWB's location. Don't forget a tour at the McBryde/Allerton Gardens. Have a great time!