• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Walking away from SA timeshares

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a Sudwala and two Mt Amanzi weeks. In light of the poor trading power of the MA weeks and the huge fee for the Sudwala week I am tempted to just not pay my fees and let them take back the weeks. They have served me well and I just have no use for them any more. If I do this can they impose any kind of lien or will there be any negative impact on my credit?
Thanks!

rcshelton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mount Amanzi took my two weeks back in June of last year. Very simple process handled by email and no cash involved. Guessing that they would still do it. The person to contact is Danie Schutte. His email is investad@mweb.co.za

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mount Amanzi took my two weeks back in June of last year. Very simple process handled by email and no cash involved. Guessing that they would still do it. The person to contact is Danie Schutte. His email is investad@mweb.co.za

Several years ago, I sold my units at Glenmore sands, Falcon Glen and Durban Sands all to Danie Schutte. When I later received a levy statement from Durban, I emailed them and said that I no longer owned the units and would not pay, I continued to get statements but eventually they stopped trying to collect. No issues with my credit rating

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
SA Timeshare Walking Away From Us.

Walking away from SA timeshares
We have heard nothing -- as in zippity-doodah & the sound of crickets chirping -- from Lowveld Lodge for 2-3 years now.

No statements, no bills, no letters, no forms, no E-Mail, nothing other than a booklet represented as some kind of annual report.

It's not that we would pay up if billed, now that the Lowveld Lodge is no longer a timeshare resort. In fact, there has been no communication of any kind as to the status of our account or our ownership, if we even have those any longer. In any case, the ball is in their court.

We can't complain. When we sprang for Lowveld Lodge (2003), we figured we would break even if we got 3 trades out of it into nice USA timeshares. We got about double that before Lowveld Lodge converted itself to a non-timeshare & walled us off from any further communication.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in the same boat as Alan with regards to Lowveld. We have loved owning, but will not pay MF's for something we cannot use or trade. We too feel that Lowveld owes us nothing. Our 2013 MF's are now due, so it will be interesting to see how they proceed.

Dori

Skatduder

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel the same.. had many good trades with Lowvelt and Seapointer..
walked from both.. Funny thing, they keep sending me booklets too..

senorak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I "gave back" my DIK weeks last year. No money involved on my part, (neither fees nor receiving $$). The weeks had served us well....received many wonderful vacations over the years.

Deb

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sudwala

I sold/gave away both my Sudwala weeks earlier this year. It was an easy process. If you want to know the contact info, send me a pm.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a statement from Lowveld today asking for the equivalent of $84. I'm not sure what this is for. It seems too late for any under-payment of the 2012 levy (which I did pay and bank), but certainly not enough to be a 2013 MF (which I definitely will not pay). I'm not sure what this is all about. :confused:

Dori

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dori,

If Lowveld gave you 'estimates' for levies so you could pay your levy ahead of time to deposit, perhaps this is a balance for the 'actual' amount? Just a guess.

(Although all of my SA estimates have been higher than actual, so I've always carried a credit forward.)

redkayak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last Dec I emailed Sudwala and asked if they would take my weeks back free of charge (I had already paid 2013 levies). I received an email saying they could not but gave me two contacts on who I could go through and try to sell them. Jan I received another email saying they would offer me R2000 for each week and pay the closing. I agreed since getting money was better than giving them away free! Anyway after several delays with mailing paperwork back and forth (the post office was on strike again and held up thing) I finally received an email stating I needed to pay my 2013 assessment in order for closing to go thru. I figured this would happen since closing took so long and I had already banked 2013 weeks last year. Told them to subtract assessment fee from what I was to receive on selling weeks plus some extra rand I had on account and charge my CC balance. I emailed them to what status was now on closing and got reply I no longer had any interest in Sudwala as of 17 June. Guess they don't send closing papers in SA! Anyway I am done with them, although I had many great trades and loved dealing with Niki.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also walked away

We bought Seapointer when the craze was posted here on TUG. We got some terrific trades. I haven't paid for a few years now, ever since their trouble began with the new owners.

I couldn't deposit the resort with RCI because of the "trouble" and just left it.

Funny thing, my RCI weeks account still shows Seapointer with the question: Do you want to deposit your Seapointer? When I tried in the past, they couldn't take it.

No repercussions at all. Well worth the few hundred we paid at the time. I even got the Houses at Summer Bay in Orlando/Kissimmee!!!

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy, our Lowveld week got us into Summer Bay for a totol of three weeks! It was fantastic!

Muranojo, I thought that might be it, but this is coming 14 months after I paid my 2012 MF's. And to make it more confusing, no mention was made of the amount I would need to pay for my 2013 MF's (which I have no intention of paying anyway)

Dori

bdemerchant

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a statement from Lowveld today asking for the equivalent of $84. I'm not sure what this is for. It seems too late for any under-payment of the 2012 levy (which I did pay and bank), but certainly not enough to be a 2013 MF (which I definitely will not pay). I'm not sure what this is all about. :confused:

Dori[/QUOTE

I have no idea why I seem to be the only Lowveld owner to get phone calls from their marketing people but this is the explanation of the recent "Levy Statement " we recently received.

Good day Mrs. XXXX

As per telecom of even date

We have received new directives from the Board , that all Share holders will be liable for the common Levy and will no longer be paying the levy, as the amount is too high for the board to carry out the cost for the transfer fee and common levy. The dividend from the rental pool does not cover the full amount outstanding on the common levy.

Below, please find the banking details in which the amount of R614.21 should be deposited. A copy of the proof of payments is to accompany the signed documents

Account Name: Lowveld Lodge Share block

Bank: Standard bank of S.A

Branch: Pinetown

Branch Code: 045626

Account Number: 051 850 184

Reference Number: xxxxxx

We trust the above is in order , please feel free to contact us should you have any further queries

Kind regards

I can give you the name and email if you wish to contact him- just send me a message.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, this is as clear as mud. :D Are we no longer responsible for MF's just the R610? Are they saying that the rest of the MF cost has been recouped by rentals? I am toally confused. :confused:

In any case, I am not paying any more money for a week I can do nothing with.

Thanks for posting this.

Dori

HuskyJim

TUG Member
Reaction score
I "gave back" my DIK weeks last year. No money involved on my part, (neither fees nor receiving $$). The weeks had served us well....received many wonderful vacations over the years.

Deb

Deb,
I am interested in doing the same thing - returning my units to Dik - who did you contact?

Thanks,
Jim

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb,
I am interested in doing the same thing - returning my units to Dik - who did you contact?

Thanks,
Jim

Me, too. I have gotten some good trades, but am not going to use timeshares now since my husband passed away.

kpitch

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was contacted by Lifestyle Vaction Club after emailing Sudwala that I no longer wanted my unit. They agreed to take the week back, and attached forms for my completion. Before signing and sending them back, I'm a little hesitant to send a signed Special Power of Attorney which gives them authority to act on my behalf. To those who have gave their units at Sudwala to a company of this nature, did you sign this form? I just worry about giving them authority to act on my behalf when Sudwala has my credit card number from paying the Special Assessment. Maybe I'm paranoid.

All thoughts will be appreciated.

Kathy

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a little hesitant to send a signed Special Power of Attorney which gives them authority to act on my behalf. To those who have gave their units at Sudwala to a company of this nature, did you sign this form?

I signed it and had no problems.

HuskyJim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gave DIK back to DIK

I ended up working directly with the folks at Dikhololo, and gave my units back to them. No cost, took about 2 months to get the papers back and forth to them.

No complaints from me. I had great trades (several to the Manhattan Club, The Galleon, etc.), anywhere we wanted to go, we could usually get. It's over now, but it was a good 10 years with my grass huts.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
What did you have to do? What papers went back and forth? I want to get rid of Dikhololo too, tell me what you did please?

PaulT

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Giving Back Dik Weeks

What did you have to do? What papers went back and forth? I want to get rid of Dikhololo too, tell me what you did please?

:wave: I got rid of my Dik weeks 3-4 years ago. I didn't "give it back" to them. I just stopped communicating with them and stopped paying my maintenance fees. After a year they sent me a letter stating that they were taking the weeks back because the fees hadn't been paid. That was it ... no papers to sign or anything.

In case you are worried that this approach could effect your credit rating, it didn't. They don't report it and they have no way to let the 3 credit reporting agencies know that the weeks have been repossessed.

Last edited: