• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Truth about McDonalds?

geekette

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about your facts, davnrobin.

Obesity is not caused by these foods, it is caused by the consuming person not expending at least as many calories as they consume. Please don't blame the food/pseudo-food.

Most health issues are not caused by A Food, they result from a number of different factors, which may include a lack of healthy food. This is not the same as saying that unhealthy food causes illness, else we would have outlawed a lot of non-fast-food yum yums eons ago. Why only dump on fast food joints? They do not own the market on unhealthy food.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
And making such a huge effort would take away from the time people spend on "So You Think You Can Marry A Millionaire Duck-hunting Ice-Road Crabbing Survivor" on TV.
I checked my local listings but couldn't find this show. Is this on fox?

L

laurac260

Obesity is not caused by these foods, it is caused by the consuming person not expending at least as many calories as they consume. Please don't blame the food/pseudo-food.

The problem IS our manufactured food. The sooner we realize this, the better.

Ask yourself this..If the poor have little access to healthy food as it is claimed, why is it that the obese are predominately made up of the lower class (economic) families? If they don't have access to healthy food, they should be rail thin, like in 3rd world countries. How can you be obese if you are food poor? They are food poor, on poor food. And the poor food is making them obese.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

Ask yourself this..If the poor have little access to healthy food as it is claimed, why is it that the obese are predominately made up of the lower class (economic) families? If they don't have access to healthy food, they should be rail thin, like in 3rd world countries. How can you be obese if you are food poor? They are food poor, on poor food. And the poor food is making them obese.

We're going to see a lot of backlash about unhealthy food thanks to the new movie coming out. Big Food Conglomerates have already created several deceptive websites to obfuscate the information coming from this movie.

L

laurac260

We're going to see a lot of backlash about unhealthy food thanks to the new movie coming out. Big Food Conglomerates have already created several deceptive websites to obfuscate the information coming from this movie.

What am I missing? What new movie?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
....would take away from the time people spend on "So You Think You Can Marry A Millionaire Duck-hunting Ice-Road Crabbing Survivor" on TV.

I decline to participate in this thread, but I'd nonetheless like to express my appreciation for the humorous construction of this mythical TV program.

"Dancing with the Idol Bachelorettes in Honey Boo Boo's Shark Tank" is reportedly coming soon too, by the way. Look for it in your local TV listings. :)

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep agree on both shows hahaha :hysterical: though sort of think Duck Dynasty is funny but avoid all the other junk.

I'm interested in the movie Fed Up , appreciate the mention.

I recall hearing industry quickly had legislation passed about not being held accountable for Mad Cow after the incident w/one out of Canada making it down here and there being no cheapo way to check and track.

When the pink slime was in the news I started asking my local Kroger grocery store and they showed me which product to not buy and told me in a short period of time they'd be getting rid of the product d/t the attention it got.

I decline to participate in this thread, but I'd nonetheless like to express my appreciation for the humorous construction of this mythical TV program.

"Dancing with the Idol Bachelorettes in Honey Boo Boo's Shark Tank" is reportedly coming soon too, by the way. Look for it in your local TV listings. :)

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

You can be fat and malnourished. Calories are not the only thing we receive from our food. There was a great documentary about this( I wish I remembered the name of it). Many rural and inner city areas are food deserts. That means the only things available are calorie dense and nutrition lacking foods. Poor children were obese yet could not concentrate in school due to the lack of nutrition.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also be thin and muscular and be in horrible health. You can't just look at someone build and assume you know how healthy they are or not. A lot(90+%)of what defines someone's health and longtivity is genetic and has nothing to do with what they eat.

L

laurac260

You can also be thin and muscular and be in horrible health. You can't just look at someone build and assume you know how healthy they are or not. A lot(90+%)of what defines someone's health and longtivity is genetic and has nothing to do with what they eat.

Please use this logic to explain to us why the rise in obesity.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

Dieticians, nutritionists, doctors, pharmaceutical companies, and lobbying groups have been studying the effects of various things on identical twins for generations.

Based on the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, would you care to offer any citations of your "90% is genetic and has nothing to do with what people eat" statement? Because you can google the effects of smoking, drug use and diet on identical twins and get enough information to keep you busy for the rest of your life.

Where did you get this notion, anyway?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
If that was your intent, then why did you make the link? This is in the same vein as the person who says. "I don't mean to offend, but you need to lose some weight."

Saying your intent is not to start a debate, then posting something that is calculated to provoke debate is, shall we say, perhaps a bit disingenuous?

The OP said they didn't want to argue.

Personally, I do not believe arguing and debating are the same thing. I suppose we could have a debate about that . . . but really . . . I don't want to argue. :)

Last edited:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about your facts, davnrobin.

Amen.

It's not hard: Eat less, exercise more.

zinger1457

Reaction score
Amen.

It's not hard: Eat less, exercise more.

Most studies on dieting has shown that eating less rarely works in the long term, most people just don't stick with it. Need to change what you eat, less junk and more nutritious foods (whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc.).

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
All things with fibre that take longer to digest and keep you feeling full longer.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Great responses

I am the original poster. Those that know me also know that my children have been vegan for 2 years. I come from a Ukrainian background and our three food groups are sour cream, cream and cabbage...like for cabbage rolls (;

I have found it a challenge to not only go meatless but also forgo dairy when planning family meals.
One of the first things they did for my husband and me was to sit us down to watch Forks Over Knives which really stresses a plant based diet. Over the last two years we have slowly weaned ourselves off of a lot of unhealthy eating choices but our weakness was the occasional Egg McMuffin (first day of any road trip) or a Big Mac when I am out with school kids on a field trip.

I saw this article and thought...well here goes my last excuse to partake in a secret indulgence.
However, I just wanted to open up a discussion regarding unhealthy food choices without the tendency to "teach" or as my husband states...."nag":D

geekette

Reaction score

I don't buy the notion that only unhealthy food is available to the poor. Do the grocery stores near them never carry fruits and vegetables?

I do think that regardless of economics in one's family, it is seriously tempting to buy the convenience foods. None of my college roommates could cook, didn't know that brownies and mac n cheese could be made 'from scratch.' I think that 'cooking at home' is far less prevalent than it used to be, and when it does happen, often it's from a box of chemicals (hamburger helper, for example).

Everyone decides for themselves how to deploy their food budget but availability is not an issue in this country unless you live very far from civilization and refuse to grow your own food.

Note that I am hardly the model of 'eating clean' as I do enjoy an occasional egg mc muffin and since Mc Ds is very near work, I have on occasion eaten their salads. I'd be interested in how lettuce becomes unhealthy when dispensed from a fast food joint? does it lose it's classification as a vegetable?

Moderation is the key, as there is no way that I will Never Again eat ice cream or fast food fare.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to chuckle when an Indian colleague once said " I wanted to move to the USA so I could see with my own eyes how the poor are overweight".

L

laurac260

I don't buy the notion that only unhealthy food is available to the poor. Do the grocery stores near them never carry fruits and vegetables?

I do think that regardless of economics in one's family, it is seriously tempting to buy the convenience foods. None of my college roommates could cook, didn't know that brownies and mac n cheese could be made 'from scratch.' I think that 'cooking at home' is far less prevalent than it used to be, and when it does happen, often it's from a box of chemicals (hamburger helper, for example).

Everyone decides for themselves how to deploy their food budget but availability is not an issue in this country unless you live very far from civilization and refuse to grow your own food.

Note that I am hardly the model of 'eating clean' as I do enjoy an occasional egg mc muffin and since Mc Ds is very near work, I have on occasion eaten their salads. I'd be interested in how lettuce becomes unhealthy when dispensed from a fast food joint? does it lose it's classification as a vegetable?

Moderation is the key, as there is no way that I will Never Again eat ice cream or fast food fare.

hmmm…where do I start? #1, no one said "only unhealthy food is available to the poor."

But here, let me give you a project. Go into your local grocer, with 100$ to spend. Have as your goal to only spend it on healthy food (that being, whole foods, fruits, vegetables, dairy, eggs, nothing in a box.). How far did that 100$ get you? Now, take the same 100$ and 2-4 hungry kids. Now, your goal is to get as much "food" as you can for that 100$, because that is your food budget for the week. See the difference? Can you feed your family of 4 on that grocery cart of 100$ worth of healthy food? The answer is, no you cannot. How much more "food" do you have in your cart when you went for volume, rather than health? THAT is what I am talking about when I say "food poor on poor food". I live in a nice neighborhood. A nice neighborhood that is surrounded on all sides by working class to working class poor. I see what they can afford. It's not good stuff.

So, it's not as simple as saying "everyone decides for themselves how to deploy their food budget." Some folks decide based on filling hungry tummies in the best way they possibly can. Stuff in a box is dirt cheap compared to fresh options, and it can live on your shelf 12-24 times as long.

As far as salads becoming less nutritious when served from a fast food joint… not sure who said that, you'd have to look thru the posts and address THAT poster. Iceberg is low on the nutrition scale, so if that the only lettuce the salad has on it, then there's that. But yes, a salad in a fast food menu is USUALLY better for you than the burger and fries, though not always.

Here's the way I look at it. If you take two people one that for 30 years eats nothing but healthy foods, organic, whole foods, no processed stuff, etc, and another person who eats whatever they want, even in moderation, you study those two people for 30 years….

Then at the end of 30 years, let's say that all the folks who say it doesn't matter what you eat, a calorie is a calorie, let's say they are RIGHT. What is the outcome of the two folks? Well, the "healthy eater" has a few less bucks in his 401k than the other guy, but otherwise all is equal, they have the same bill of health.

But…let's say the "calorie is a calorie" folks are wrong. Let's say the stay away from processed foods, chemicals, additives etc because it's horrible for your health folks are RIGHT. Then what's the outcome? The healthy eater still has a few less bucks in his 401k (it's not cheap to eat whole foods), BUT, his health is better. He doesn't have lots of chronic issues, inflammation, etc. The "calorie is a calorie guy" feels like crap. All the time.

Which person do YOU want to be? I already have made up MY mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
But yet they exist.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/04/food-deserts-map_n_804110.html
So much so there is even a movie about them
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954451/
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/podcast/transcript062512.html

Marion is a great person to read about such food matters.
http://www.foodpolitics.com/tag/food-deserts/

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/04/19/nischan-nestle-weigh-food-deserts

And of course the obligitary Campaign
http://www.fooddesert.net/?p=12

All this is good but our Farm Bill is corrupt and supports the big agribusinesses to grow Corn and Wheat not the 'specialty crops' of fruits and vegetables.

http://producenews.com/news-dep-men...ables-are-still-classified-as-specialty-crops

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2014/01/yes-the-farm-bill-is-politically-corrupt-veto-it/

I'd be interested in how lettuce becomes unhealthy when dispensed from a fast food joint? does it lose it's classification as a vegetable?
It's not about the lettuce (a great name for a diet movie)

A big Mac has 560 calories.
An Asian salad with chicken, with Cesar dressing has 560 calories. Many other salad combos have less, but they are still much higher than you would like to think a salad should have. Fried proteins, creamy / oily dressings.
www.mcdonalds.com

Last edited:
L

laurac260

But yet they exist.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/04/food-deserts-map_n_804110.html
So much so there is even a movie about them
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954451/
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/podcast/transcript062512.html

Marion is a great person to read about such food matters.
http://www.foodpolitics.com/tag/food-deserts/

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/04/19/nischan-nestle-weigh-food-deserts

And of course the obligitary Campaign
http://www.fooddesert.net/?p=12

All this is good but our Farm Bill is corrupt and supports the big agribusinesses to grow Corn and Wheat not the 'specialty crops' of fruits and vegetables.

http://producenews.com/news-dep-men...ables-are-still-classified-as-specialty-crops

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2014/01/yes-the-farm-bill-is-politically-corrupt-veto-it/

It's not about the lettuce (a great name for a diet movie)

A big Mac has 560 calories.
An Asian salad with chicken, with Cesar dressing has 560 calories. Many other salad combos have less, but they are still much higher than you would like to think a salad should have. Fried proteins, creamy / oily dressings.
www.mcdonalds.com

+1 :)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmmm…where do I start? #1, no one said "only unhealthy food is available to the poor."

But here, let me give you a project. Go into your local grocer, with 100$ to spend. Have as your goal to only spend it on healthy food (that being, whole foods, fruits, vegetables, dairy, eggs, nothing in a box.). How far did that 100$ get you? Now, take the same 100$ and 2-4 hungry kids. Now, your goal is to get as much "food" as you can for that 100$, because that is your food budget for the week. See the difference? Can you feed your family of 4 on that grocery cart of 100$ worth of healthy food? The answer is, no you cannot. How much more "food" do you have in your cart when you went for volume, rather than health? THAT is what I am talking about when I say "food poor on poor food".
Another of my favourite lines is that you don't get manufacturer or store coupons for fruits and vegetables.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another issue is the locations of the low cost supermarkets within cities. If you live in Downtown Winnipeg and don't have a car, it is very difficult to get groceries from a major supermarket chain with comparatively low prices. Then people are forced to buy groceries from the "mini-marts" at outrageous prices. I live in the suburbs with four major supermarkets within a 5 minute drive. Big difference.