• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HHV - Stand Up Paddleboard Rental and Airport Transport

mhoutsma

Reaction score
Just got back from HHV this morning. So sad to leave. Everything about the place and trip was great but I wanted to payback TUG a bit for all the help it has given me and post a few tricks/things I learned this time.

First, if you want to rent a stand up paddle board (or surf board) and plan to use it for more than a few hours (I have three kids so we rotated and it got used 3-4 hours each day we had it) you really should go to Quality Surfboards, which is right by the coffee shop across the street from the Kalia Tower. It is only $30 the first day, and $25 per day thereafter (in contrast to $55 for two hours at the Lagoon for a much inferior board). The people were so nice. You can also store it with the bellman during the day if you want to do it for a while in the morning and then again in the afternoon. The drawback is the walk to the Lagoon is a little tiresome, even if you are an able bodied person. My whole family thought the paddleboard was one of the highlights of the trip, and the lagoon is perfect for it.

Also, we used King Airport Shuttle this time and they were awesome. $30 for up to four people, $37 for five to or from the airport. $20 to Diamondhead. Alex was always early and very friendly and the minivan was nicer than the place we used last time.

Finally, we had a Premium Room the first three nights and got 467. Although it looked out over the Lagoon and had a double porch I thought this was a little bit of bad luck as far as Premium rooms go. We then had 669 for the last four nights. For a standard unit I thought it was fine, though I think there are probably many better standard two bedrooms. I would be interested if anyone has thoughts on how we did on those rooms.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That's great info.

We just checked in to 2166.

What a view!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
That's great info.

We just checked in to 2166.

What a view!

Can you post pics? I think that's the 2BR Premier on the Ewa side?

Thanks and have a great time!

amc347

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the tip! We are here in lagoon tower, 2br premier room. Awesome view of diamond head. Just rented a SUP for 35 an hour. Will take your advice tomorrow. The rentals for the plastic floaties are also outrageous. 10 a day for the same tube we bought at abc store for 3 dollars plus 60 cents for the to blow it up. We stopped at Costco and bought beach umbrellas for the cost of a daily rental but found that it has been too windy for these to stay up no matter how deep we dug them and rigged it. Last regretting not having rented a car from the airport. We passed on $203 total including taxes for full size 8 day rental airport pickup through Costco. We got on site rental through national for 160 for two days. After a few cab rides and despite nightly rental adding in cost of airport transfer, we would have saved by doing the Costco rental. There is a national car rental place across the street on the first floor near the mcdonalds that is a few dollars cheaper by the day, but the advantage of onsite is after hours drop off with key box saving you from paying overnight parking say if you need it for morning to evening. Having a great time nonetheless!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Wow, thanks for the tip! We are here in lagoon tower, 2br premier room. Awesome view of diamond head. Just rented a SUP for 35 an hour. Will take your advice tomorrow. The rentals for the plastic floaties are also outrageous. 10 a day for the same tube we bought at abc store for 3 dollars plus 60 cents for the to blow it up. We stopped at Costco and bought beach umbrellas for the cost of a daily rental but found that it has been too windy for these to stay up no matter how deep we dug them and rigged it. Last regretting not having rented a car from the airport. We passed on $203 total including taxes for full size 8 day rental airport pickup through Costco. We got on site rental through national for 160 for two days. After a few cab rides and despite nightly rental adding in cost of airport transfer, we would have saved by doing the Costco rental. There is a national car rental place across the street on the first floor near the mcdonalds that is a few dollars cheaper by the day, but the advantage of onsite is after hours drop off with key box saving you from paying overnight parking say if you need it for morning to evening. Having a great time nonetheless!

It's convenient to have a car there, but the cost is considerable. If you have a smart phone, check out Google Maps, the trip planner has public transport option that lists bus schedules. TheBus goes anywhere you want to go from HHV, air con, cheap, with a colourful cast of characters.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
age5yjas.jpg

a5epyvus.jpg

2br premier diamond head side. (Even though its ocean front)

Reaction score
My wife and I checked into the Lagoon Tower last night. Got 10th floor on the Diamond Head side (1BR+). Great to be back for the first time since 2008!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The fireworks show was spectacular from the penthouse floor balcony. This is our view.
tabe3e4e.jpg

Uscjusto

Reaction score
Are room assignments based on randomness or luck of the draw?
Or is there a way to specify which room, floor or view you would like during the reserevation process?

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chairs for the beach/lagoon

Having never stayed at HHV (checking in on Tuesday), are there chairs around the lagoon for people staying at HHV? Anything further down at the beach that can be used or should I rent chairs at one of the shops around the beach?

To the OP, does Quality Surfboards rent chairs as well?

No point in buying (I don't think) for our 5 nights at HHV, but we will buy some for our longer stay on the Big Island (13 nights).

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having never stayed at HHV (checking in on Tuesday), are there chairs around the lagoon for people staying at HHV? Anything further down at the beach that can be used or should I rent chairs at one of the shops around the beach?

To the OP, does Quality Surfboards rent chairs as well?

No point in buying (I don't think) for our 5 nights at HHV, but we will buy some for our longer stay on the Big Island (13 nights).

Chairs at the pools are first come/first served. The pools have almost no shade. The lagoon and beach have lounge rentals for $15 and umbrellas for $29 per day. You can rent beach chairs at Snorkel Bob's for $15 per week or $25 per week for 2, however, the cab ride is $20 each way. There is a guy on Craigslist that will rent you beach chairs for $10 per day. He will also deliver and pick up. Just search beach chair rentals Waikiki on Craigslist and his ad will pop up.

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chairs at the pools are first come/first served. The pools have almost no shade. The lagoon and beach have lounge rentals for $15 and umbrellas for $29 per day. You can rent beach chairs at Snorkel Bob's for $15 per week or $25 per week for 2, however, the cab ride is $20 each way. There is a guy on Craigslist that will rent you beach chairs for $10 per day. He will also deliver and pick up. Just search beach chair rentals Waikiki on Craigslist and his ad will pop up.

Thank you very much for the info.

Any must try restaurants near HHV? I'm combing through trip advisor, but not knowing the area (and not having a car) it is tough to narrow things down.

No fine dining, most cuisine types are okay, some local cusine would be great, kids are 10 and 12... Walking or short cab distance is ideal, unless it is a must try. Food trucks are fine by me!!!

TIA.

Last edited:

amc347

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roy's and Tiki bar and grill are both close to HHV. A nice walk along the beach or 10 cab ride. Both have excellent sunset views with kid friendly foods. Benihana on site was decent. Try yelp for other restaurant reviews. Have a good trip!

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Shorebird's, Bubba Gump's, Margaritaville, Tiki's Grill and Bar for reasonably prices dinner's.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, if you want to rent a stand up paddle board (or surf board) and plan to use it for more than a few hours (I have three kids so we rotated and it got used 3-4 hours each day we had it) you really should go to Quality Surfboards, which is right by the coffee shop across the street from the Kalia Tower. It is only $30 the first day, and $25 per day thereafter (in contrast to $55 for two hours at the Lagoon for a much inferior board).

Thank you so much. I've been wanting to do this for several years but thought $55 for the Lagoon was too much. I've been driving my husband crazy. Last trip he tried to rent on for me but I told him I wouldn't use it if he did. I thought is was 50 for 1 hour.

Next trip I'm definitely going to Quality Surfboards. Thanks

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a question about renting the paddle board. Can it fit into the elevator if we want to rent it for a week? I don't think the bellhop will store it for us every day for a week. We are going again next month and really look forward to paddle boarding again. That had to be the highlight of our trip in May.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about renting the paddle board. Can it fit into the elevator if we want to rent it for a week? I don't think the bellhop will store it for us every day for a week. We are going again next month and really look forward to paddle boarding again. That had to be the highlight of our trip in May.

It will not fit in an elevator.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
The end elevator closest to the reconstruction on the left facing the lobby is the service elevator out of the three. The second and third elevators do not have high ceilings. When I rented surf boards no problem with vertical height in the service elevator but have to angle the board in the other two elevators. Afternoons getting elevators in the lagoon tower is problematic. Saturday mornings around 10 and around 4 due to check out / check-in is a hassle day. Elevators are very crowded and slow on Saturdays. So, first elevator no problem paddleboard or surf board. Other elevators only pretty much 8 foot surf boards easily and really have to angle and hold the whole way. I recently got back yesterday after a home week and open season vacation at the Lagoon.

weavershome

TUG Member
Reaction score

First of all...thanks for the tip on the SUP rental.

Re: chairs....we purchased a couple of the Tommy Bahama backpack chairs at costco while we were stocking up on food/drinks. I think they were 30-40 each but it was well worth it to have them the whole trip. Easy transport, comfortable, had both lined and non-lined pockets for snacks/sunscreen/phone etc and.....you could easily recoup your investment by selling them on your way out .....or make another travelers trip by giving them away. Pending airline fees (they vary) you might even bring them home.