• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you freely admit you own a timeshare?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a silly question, given the people that comprise this forum, including me. But, I am curious............

Let's face it, mention timeshare to the average person on the street, and the majority, imho, will conjure up notions of scam, ripoff, anyone that owns one is a bit of fool, etc.

So let's say you're at a business meeting with management and colleagues, and you're making small talk. How would you feel about discussing your timeshare? Are you relaxed, comfortable, and find no reason to justify your membership? Or, are you just a tiny bit uncomfortable?

I'll jump in with mine a bit later, but you first. :)

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do.
I make no secret that overall we are very happy with how we use them the costs involved.... once we started buying resale... :eek:
Most people are envious of the trades that we can make and the cost to do so..

There have been quite a few occasions where it is necesary to explain how they aren't all scams... NORTHWYND cough cough.... :(

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Since I am very very happy with the ones I own, bought them cheaply at resale and use them every year, I am not hesitant to discuss them. Most times, either they have no clue what a timeshare is or are very impressed with my ability to vacation like I do.

Cheers

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I only talk timeshare if someone else brings it up first. Or if from their conversation it sounds like they own one. I don't want to inadvertently lead someone into thinking they should buy one. They just need too much information and time, which they won't get from that one encounter.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I bring it up occasionally, but if anyone sounds interested, I ask them if they'd want to commit to a lifetime of increasing maintenance fees. The answer was yes for us. For anyone planning on staying at a timeshare, I warn them that they do not want to attend the presentation, no matter how good the perks.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The subject comes up from time-to-time. Generally when someone asks "Where are you going next?" or "Where have you been?" Buy no, I don't have "Ask me about my timeshares' on a bumper sticker.

If someone asks a more detailed question, like "How does that work?", I start out right upfront with (a) "TS is the world's worst investment", and "TS isn't for everybody."

Even couples whom we have invited to spend a week with us, while enjoying the places, and even looking forward to another invite, have little curiosity in the 'nuts and bolts' of it.

Jim

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I talk about my timeshare ownership anytime vacation comes up. It could be with co-workers, as recently happened at a 200 person internal conference, or any other social situation. If I get the "this guy must be nuts to own a timeshare look", I explain that owning a timeshare could be a very bad situation, or a very good situation, mostly depending on your investment and the timeshare company you own with.

In the end, when I show pictures of the Marriott's I've been to, they usually ask me if I can get them a deal to check it out. :D

At that meeting I was at, people were talking about recent or upcoming visits to Disney with their families. Disney is expensive, so the conversation usually turns to costs at some point. When they talk about cost of 2 rooms for a week, or something like that, and I say, "oh, I just exchanged my timeshare for a 2BR villa at Disney that sleeps 8", they really understand how you can get value out of a timeshare. One guy paid $4200 just for 2 rooms for a week. I paid my MF, which is much less than 50% of that. Jaw-drop.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
My father in law was a big shot with the NSA. When he was alive I would ask him about his work and all he could say is that he worked for the government. When he worked in another country he carried Embassy credentials as if he worked for the State Department or ID that showed he worked for some phoney company set up as a front for our spies
Bottom line is that he couldnt tell anyone what he did everyday.

Sometimes I feel like Harv. I cant tell anyone what I do either

I tell people what I do for a living is broker sales and rentals of vacation homes and condos. , and if pressed I say that I find the best opportunities for myself and my clients in the little understood and much maligned timeshare market

I would rather deal with strangers than friends and family for two reasons. If they dont take the time to understand what Im doing, they think Im an idiot, and if they do understand they want a free vacation.

So what I do for vacations and and what I do for a living with timeshares, I have learned to keep to myself except for here on tug...end even then some of you think Im nuts, and few take the time to understand what Im doing

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't admit it. I don't mention it. I feel like yes, people perceive it as "Oh, you fell for a scam."

We do go on vacation quite a bit in the summer, bc my DH is a teacher, and when people ask how we can afford to go on vacation so much, I do explain that it's a timeshare exchange and it's basically paid for in advance and there's a kitchen and yada yada. And then I tell them that we plan vacations almost two years in advance. I think when they hear how much advance planning is involved, they understand that it takes a good deal of work and organization to make it work.

oceanvps

TUG Member
Reaction score
We tell people if it comes up. Ever since we've owned timeshares (2010) we've accelerated our travelling so much that I'm pretty sure people think we're loaded or I'm robbing the company I'm an accountant for so I've had to kind of defensively explain that a lot of these hawaii vacations (and every where else) we've been taking don't cost as much as they think they do...... how else do you get a week at a marriott or westin for 450??

Its funny to me that some of the people ENJOY using our benefits but somehow still like to say I wouldn't want to own a timeshare... you have to pay for maintenance fees....... um, yeah, how do you think you just got to stay in a 2 br marriott for a week for 450 - i guess they're happy as long as they an reap the benefit of your membership :ponder:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Depends on who I'm talking to.

It's a regular topic of lunchtime cafeteria conversation at work. (My coworkers and I share a large table for lunch.) I've developed a reputation for being something of a vacation hound, and I frequently get asked, "So where are you going next?" People tend to be impressed by the variety of vacations I take, and I am often asked how I can afford to do this. Everyone I work with directly knows I own timeshare(s), so I get some envious comments from them, like, "Gee, I wish *I* could go on vacation with you!" and "I never get to go anywhere..."

Others at work who don't know my backstory who hear I'm going on vacation AGAIN, are prone to ask, "Wow, what are you - RICH?" I tell them No, but that I plan my time off a year or more in advance, so I have time to plan ahead, prepay things like airfare and such, so the travel costs become secondary, and it's very affordable for me to go. I remind them that great vacations aren't accidental - they require planning and effort to pull together.

The worst of the lot are those who cringe when they hear the word "timeshare" coming from me. "Oh, you own one of those??? My sister/parents/cousin/whoever owns one, and they hate it. They spend so much on it, and they never get to use it. What a waste of money!" I've tried to educate people to learn to use what they own, and I tell them about TUG, but only a few have ever done anything about it.

One woman asked if I could help her learn what to do with her two timeshares she owns. I spent a lot of time telling her about stuff, how to maximize her ownership, and whatever. She goes away on a vacation, and can't wait to get back and tell me how she and her husband made such a GREAT deal during the presentation they attended. For only $$$$ they were able to trade in their other timeshares for a new one! (You all know how that ends - she later said she didn't know what to do, she'd received a new bill for maintenance fees on the traded-in timeshares, she couldn't afford things, how she wishes she'd never bought in the first place, and so forth.)

The stories are legion. Results are variable. So while I don't generally volunteer that I own timeshares unless asked, I find I have to defend my ownership to those who have a negative attitude about them. It used to bother me, but now I just shake my head, and agree that their situation is a tough one. Then I pack my suitcase and drive to the airport, heading for my next vacation. :)

Dave

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
When conversation turns to vacations, I simply talk about the resorts we stayed at, the experiences we had, etc.; not the fact that they are timeshares. I guess I really don't have any interest in discussing how I paid for my vacation -- that is simply none of their business and most likely, would not be interesting to the other person.

Kurt

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
When conversation turns to vacations, I simply talk about the resorts we stayed at, the experiences we had, etc.; not the fact that they are timeshares. I guess I really don't have any interest in discussing how I paid for my vacation -- that is simply none of their business and most likely, would not be interesting to the other person.

Kurt

Same here. I never ask people details about what they do, either. I don't care.

However, my extended family knows I have timeshares because I have (in the past, don't do it anymore) let them stay with me or stay when I couldn't go. Since it is free for them, they don't believe that I had to pay? Anyway, I decided that they are all too stupid and I don't invite anyone anymore.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont bring it up.... but especially since Ive retired and Im gone 15 weeks of the year others notice.

Where are you going now? So I tell them. My close friends and family already know they can ask to come along because most of the time we get 2 bedrooms. We have had many enjoyable vacations with friends and family.

If they ask me more questions I just tell them the truth. I love Northern Utah, it is my home but since I dont ski anymore I dont care for the winters. I was going to buy a second home but decided against it so I bought timeshares on ebay. Buying timeshares is generally not a good financial decision unless if you learn how to use them, it can be well worth it. It takes time but for me its a game and a hobby. I wouldnt be able to travel like I do if it werent for timeshares. Traveling is my passion.

Its a joy to have others come along. For my grown children its a way for them to travel. I dont think they could afford to travel without my paying for the accomodations at this point in thier lives. I told them to come on vacations with us because Im spending thier inheritance.

At this point in my life I dont really care what most people think especially when I am on an oceanfront condo in Maui or looking at the majestic Canadian Rockies by Moraine Lake. So many places I never would have seen.

Last edited:

sun&fun

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it comes up in the context of discussing our upcoming travel or someone asks "where are you staying" I have no hesitation in telling them. What they may think is of no concern to me; I'm the one enjoying my travel and resorts. Few friends or acquaintances ask about the details.

rleigh

Reaction score
Perhaps a silly question, given the people that comprise this forum, including me. But, I am curious............

Let's face it, mention timeshare to the average person on the street, and the majority, imho, will conjure up notions of scam, ripoff, anyone that owns one is a bit of fool, etc.

So let's say you're at a business meeting with management and colleagues, and you're making small talk. How would you feel about discussing your timeshare? Are you relaxed, comfortable, and find no reason to justify your membership? Or, are you just a tiny bit uncomfortable?

I'll jump in with mine a bit later, but you first. :)

If it comes up naturally in a conversation, yes I'm open about.

I do find myself quickly adding, "They're not for everyone but it's worked out well for me."

I seem to be a bit of a misfit in many of my opinions (love the rain, not a Beatles or Friends fan, think Psych is one of the greatest series ever and America's Most Wanted was the single most important one, and that the lady who sued McD's for hot coffee had every right to do so..)...so saying I have a timeshare goes right along with the rest of me. :D

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like many on this thread it is not a conversation opener but it will come up as part of the solution.

This winter I spent a week at Atlantis, some co-workers have been there, others want to go there and like other conversations highlighted in this thread, the cost of such a trip came up. I highlighted that the cost of the accomodations for this trip was significantly reduced by timeshare ownership.

Also that it was bought resale and that you have to plan ahead and use it and that the reservation for February was made in May the prior year! And so on, like those above, you have to plan, make reminders to ensure deadlines are taken care of and deal with a maintaniance fee.

It has meant I have directed people to the rental site here and on RW where they can get some of the benefit with less of the ownership headache etc.

rleigh

Reaction score

Kurt

I like this. Good points. :clap:

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
It usually comes up something like this during telephone conversations.

"You're in Hawaii again?"

We are.

"Wish I could trade places with you."

We'll be home in a few weeks.

"Do you own a condo over there?"

No. we stay in timeshares.

"Oh"

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP here.
Interesting replies thus far. I’ve enjoyed reading through them.

As for me, here’s mine:
As the old saying goes, perception is reality. Let’s face it, if you happen to be a used car salesman, and someone asked you what you do for a living…

Timeshare has a negative connotation these days. There’s baggage there, regardless if you’re the happiest timeshare member on earth. Frankly, I don’t bring it up. If the subject comes up in conversation, I feel I need to defend and explain. That’s about it really.

It’s also interesting to see how folks view themselves. Some time back I posed the question: Are you a timeshare member, or a timeshare owner? Most here replied the latter. I never have, any more than I consider myself a country club owner, a fitness club owner, or Sam’s Club owner. Symantics really. But, I digress..

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the conversation turns to vacations and travel... I am happy saying we are timeshare people. We own a one week lockoff unit and we travel 4 to 8 timeshare weeks a year using our two weeks from the lockoff and II Getaways. Other than people on TUG I don't know anyone else who uses their timeshares as well as we do. I love it when I can tell someone we are going to Barbados for two weeks and we are staying in a one bedroom 5 star ocean front unit for $400 per week. And, we are basically flying for free on miles seats. An $800 two week trip to Barbados. Timesharing is great!

We also spend a lot of time traveling in our RV. We love our timeshare and our camping trips. Life is good! :)

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of folks have tossed out $$ costs associated with their TS vacations, but I can't help but think of the anaology of the person returning from Vegas on how they won $800 or whatever amount.

Yes, but how much did they spend to win that $800?

If they spent $400, they didn't really win $800, but actually $400.

So flip this sideways, or backwards.

What are people spending on their ownership:D (membership purchase cost), maintenance fees, exchange fees, deposit fees, II/VCI ownership, oops membership fees, etc?

After deducting these values, what was the cost of that trip to Maui?

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I'll tell anyone who wants to know that I own a timeshare. Paid full freight for it, too. The maintenance fees are appx. $900 per year.

And it doesn't owe me one damned cent. Because I own a timeshare system that works well, I trade my single week in for multiple weeks every year. And my timeshare could be sold tomorrow for about 80% of what I paid for it 10 years ago. Is it a good investment? Hell no. Then again, vacations are a bad investment, too. Anyone who thinks like that is someone I don't want to associate with in the first place.

Timesharing has a horrible reputation. GOOD! That means I have an easier time exchanging into the places I want. It would be a royal pain if everyone knew about this and tried to do it.

Eventually, Hurricane Zelda is going to wipe Key West right off the map, and I'll have to take the insurance settlement. But until then, I'm happy with what I bought and would tell anyone who asks.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
That us the extended conversation, but personally I ran those numbers before writing the check.
You'll also see me posing that question to say the DVC crowd who like to ignore that a resale DVC has a finite life so is a depreciating asset and the capital has a cost to consider.

Personally renting points at $11 a point vs buying DVC is far to marginal math for me.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oceanvps

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me the last vacation cost (not counting flight because we were going no matter what, the accommodation was up in the air)

For 2 bedroom Ko Olina - 4000 wm points in flex (i bought the wm resale so its paid for itself in previous years :) $240 + exchange fee 164 i think, and a hskp ($60), my interval membership is a fixed cost no matter what as i have two other vacations booked and always seem to have an ongoing search going :)

so $460 for a week at ko olina

if it wasn't during flex then it would of cost me 600+164+60. which i still think is a good deal for me and for staying there.

we had the same scenario in flex happen a year ago so we could stay at westin kaanapali 2 bedroom using wm points.

i think you're right you do have to take into consideration the other costs :)

i don't think though that the average user on tug is the average timeshare user, i would guess that they are like superusers of their timeshares and associated benefits :hi:

What are people spending on their ownership:D (membership purchase cost), maintenance fees, exchange fees, deposit fees, II/VCI ownership, oops membership fees, etc?

After deducting these values, what was the cost of that trip to Maui?

Last edited: