• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you make corned beef?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone has taken a vacation this week, but i'm working so was unable to go. So this is my first year i actually have to do the cooking for St. Patricks day. Granted, it's just for me and i don't really even like corned beef, but, it's St. Patricks day, so i have to make it!

From what i can find online you throw some carrots and onions in a crockpot, then the Corned Beef on top of that and then cover the whole thing with cheap beer cooking for 10hrs on low....Adding Red Potatos and cabbage during the last hour of cooking...

Does that sound right? How do you make Corned beef on St. Patricks Day?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure. That will work fine. There are instructions on the corned beef package too. Tuck quartered cabbage (or thinner wedges)around the meat in the juice in the last hour. Corned beef comes in two cuts, the flat, and the point. They taste the same, but a flat is bigger and will give you sandwiches later. For reubens, you'll need sauerkraut, swiss cheese, thousand island dressing and rye bread.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Everyone has taken a vacation this week, but i'm working so was unable to go. So this is my first year i actually have to do the cooking for St. Patricks day. Granted, it's just for me and i don't really even like corned beef, but, it's St. Patricks day, so i have to make it!

From what i can find online you throw some carrots and onions in a crockpot, then the Corned Beef on top of that and then cover the whole thing with cheap beer cooking for 10hrs on low....Adding Red Potatos and cabbage during the last hour of cooking...

Does that sound right? How do you make Corned beef on St. Patricks Day?

That sounds about right Ride. Many use ginger ale instead of beer. It's called a Jig's dinner.

Most restaurants and bars will have it today.

Since you don't like it, don't make it, go out and get it. But if you do make it, you'll have some great sandwiches for a few days.

Two things to remember, cut it across the grain and eat it with horseradish.

I trim the fat off after I cook it, not before.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Blech, have never liked corned beef. When we were kids we had a choice on St. Patrick's Day of either corned beef or a smoked shoulder boiled dinner - mom cooked both. Don and our kids both prefer the smoked shoulder so I haven't cooked corned beef in years. They do like a reuben sandwich but have always managed to find one in a restaurant when they want it.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trader Joe's has some great tasting corn beef. It's cooked and vacuum packed. All you have to do is warm it.

Agree with Sue, I'm not too excited about corn beef. But I love a good Reuben sandwich about once a year.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, why make it if you're not that crazy about it?

In the last 2 years I've seen recipes that call for adding pickling spice. I did it last year and didn't like it. This year I skipped it but the food was bit bland. Just saw a recipe last night (I cooked my dinner earier yesterday) that called for a bay leaf and some peppercorns. That probably would have given the dinner some more flavor.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree, why make it if you're not that crazy about it?

In the last 2 years I've seen recipes that call for adding pickling spice. I did it last year and didn't like it. This year I skipped it but the food was bit bland. Just saw a recipe last night (I cooked my dinner earier yesterday) that called for a bay leaf and some peppercorns. That probably would have given the dinner some more flavor.

This year we bout some at Aldi's and as usual it had a packet of spices to put in the pot while boiling.

Since most of us don't buy the salt cured product we make it a "corned beef" by adding the brining spices.

Without them you're just boiling a brisket and it will be bland.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think i overbought, my Corned Beef doesn't fit in my crockpot! Probly not a good idea to buy your Corned Beef at Costco if its just you eating it!

4.16lbs was too much!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably true. You might cut it to fit and put the rest in a big ziplock to do later with your buddies. It goes great with beer. Oh, as others have said, use the spice packet (and the liquid) that comes with it, and not a lot of beer. It will make its own juice.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't care much for boiled corned beef and cabbage. My sister loves it, so we go out to get it. The past few years my Red Hats group has gone out to an Irish Pub or such on St. Patrick's, and she gets it there (and I get something else).

I *do* like corned beef, though, if it is roasted or cooked in a dutch oven like my mom used to do it. I bought one, and it is vacuum packed, so I will cook it in a week or two.

Just me.

Fern

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think i overbought, my Corned Beef doesn't fit in my crockpot! Probly not a good idea to buy your Corned Beef at Costco if its just you eating it!

4.16lbs was too much!

That's only about 15 servings. Cut it in half and freeze the half you don't cook today. Or cook in a covered roasting pan in the oven.

After it cools and you're done eating what you want you can slice it and then freeze. Just individually wrap what you would use in a couple days.

I use freezer bags. I put the smaller bags in a large bag and take out as much as I may want. It will last 6 months easily.

When those are done, go ahead and cook the other half.

You'll learn to like it or throw it away.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year we bout some at Aldi's and as usual it had a packet of spices to put in the pot while boiling.

Since most of us don't buy the salt cured product we make it a "corned beef" by adding the brining spices.

Without them you're just boiling a brisket and it will be bland.

Mine was salt brined. No seasoning mix in the bag and no fluid. But the pickling spices I have have a sweetish flavor. It's the wrong flavor for corned beef, IMO.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride:

Found your post interesting and helpful

GF and I were supposed to go to big HOA Party here but GF came down sick this morning. $14.95 all the corned beef, green beer and Irish Whiskey one can consume. Since age restricted 59 and above community not like inviting fraternity gang who would bankrupt.

So, got a 3 pounder at King Soopers and some green dye for Corona and hanging loose!:banana:

Cat has already turned up nose and wants some green treats!

Was in Ireland for St Patrick's Day a few years ago and they had never heard of green beer. Must be NY thingy!:ponder:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...Was in Ireland for St Patrick's Day a few years ago and they had never heard of green beer. Must be NY thingy!:ponder:

They been serving green beer in my neck of the woods since the 60's and maybe before that but I started drinking in 1965.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stopped making it at home cause the flavor is a lot difference than the packages 20-30 years ago had. Those packs had the best flavors. IMHO

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
throw some carrots and onions in a crockpot, then the Corned Beef on top of that and then cover the whole thing with cheap beer cooking for 10hrs on low....Adding Red Potatos and cabbage during the last hour of cooking...

The potatoes will not get done in one hour. I put the onions, carrots, and potatoes on the bottom, and the corned beef on top, cook all day on low, and add the cabbage for the last 2 hours. I lift up the corned beef and put the cabbage under it, so it gets flavor from the meat.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mine was salt brined. No seasoning mix in the bag and no fluid. But the pickling spices I have have a sweetish flavor. It's the wrong flavor for corned beef, IMO.

Yes, brined is how it's sold here, my earlier post was not accurate.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too late for this year's holiday, but maybe you can use it later:

Here's a recipe I found in my Cook's Illustrated newsletter, and DH made it today. Not that different from the way we normally cook it, with the exception that this goes in the oven for 5 hours or so on low heat.

It was just excellent! Super tender and tasty. Can hardly wait for ruebens tomorrow.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went foraging for a corned beef dinner in Palm Springs tonite. Lines outside the 'Pub' places were hours long. Ended up at a basically burger place that I ducked in to and yelled, 'Hey, you got corned beef?' They said, Oh yeah., so we gave them a try. Not good. I'm sure Ride got better results using either the recipe on the Costco package, or what info he got on TUG.

I think they put everything together, beef, veggies, spuds at the same time, then sliced the corned beef with the grain instead of across. Stringy, tough, mushy veggies and no cabbage texture. I will make CB & C when we get home. This TS, while ok, doesn't have the best equipped kitchen for a fairly serious cook. Not even adequate.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
For megamart corned beef -- which I NEVER buy for St. Pat's. Always two days after when it's 75% off -- I have a great recipe:

1) Simmer the corned beef and spice pack (and all the juices from the package) in beer. 30 minutes per pound.

2) Fire up the grill. Highest possible setting. On gas grills, turn the knobs to 11. For wood, char-wood, and charcoal, just get it BLAZIN' hot. (You can't stand to place your hand over the fire for more than one second. That hot.)

3) Sear the living bejeezus out of the the brisket. Put some good mahogany color on all sides. Mahogany, not carbon.

Slice thin and serve with whatever. It really doesn't matter what you serve it with, because this tastes great with anything. Usually I make a cabbage slaw consisting of chili sauce, lemon and salt; and roasted red bliss potatoes. Also makes killer sandwiches.

persia

Reaction score
I avoid the stuff like the plaque, it isn't even Irish. Make a lamb stew or shepherd's pie instead.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For megamart corned beef -- which I NEVER buy for St. Pat's. Always two days after when it's 75% off -- I have a great recipe:

1) Simmer the corned beef and spice pack (and all the juices from the package) in beer. 30 minutes per pound.

2) Fire up the grill. Highest possible setting. On gas grills, turn the knobs to 11. For wood, char-wood, and charcoal, just get it BLAZIN' hot. (You can't stand to place your hand over the fire for more than one second. That hot.)

3) Sear the living bejeezus out of the the brisket. Put some good mahogany color on all sides. Mahogany, not carbon.

Slice thin and serve with whatever. It really doesn't matter what you serve it with, because this tastes great with anything. Usually I make a cabbage slaw consisting of chili sauce, lemon and salt; and roasted red bliss potatoes. Also makes killer sandwiches.

I enjoy your cooking posts and was wondering how you would incorporate the "high heat" into corned beef.

I like it and it sounds great. For most of us there is a very fine line between Mahogany and carbon. Better pay attention and don't make a beer run.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Lamb sounds like a plan for next year. I don't know if I didn't cook this long enough or what, but it was tougher then I expected.

Brisket needs gentle heat for a long time in order to break down the connective tissue. Collagen turns to gelatin at 160f. That's why it's a gentle simmer for a long time.

If you have problems with brisket, don't even bother with lamb. That's a much harder meat to cook -- unless you spend the money on chops and give them a quick sear.

Learn how to braise and you can whistle up a great meal any time you feel like it.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had corned beef last night and it was excellent.

Thinking I might go buy a couple more today for smoking experimentation.