• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Riviera May grocery question?

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! Leaving friday for a week at Grande Luxxe. So excited! My most dreaded chore is grocery shopping on a good day. On vacation…I really hate it! We won't be cooking, just dry non perishables for breakfasts and snacks. I was thinking of paying the baggage fee and packing a suitcase of food, and just paying the overpriced store on site for milk and coffee cream. Is that nuts? I'm not trying to save money…I'm trying to not check in with two teenagers after a day of travel and have to put all of us in a cab or bus to go to the walmart. Any thoughts? Is taking a taxi pretty simple? I'm going as a single parent and I've never been before. Thanks for any and all input!

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! Leaving friday for a week at Grande Luxxe. So excited! My most dreaded chore is grocery shopping on a good day. On vacation…I really hate it! We won't be cooking, just dry non perishables for breakfasts and snacks. I was thinking of paying the baggage fee and packing a suitcase of food, and just paying the overpriced store on site for milk and coffee cream. Is that nuts? I'm not trying to save money…I'm trying to not check in with two teenagers after a day of travel and have to put all of us in a cab or bus to go to the walmart. Any thoughts? Is taking a taxi pretty simple? I'm going as a single parent and I've never been before. Thanks for any and all input!
We always take food with us as I, too, do not want to waste precious time at market. If all you want is snacks and dried items, I would say yours is excellent plan. Cereal is not overpriced in the stores but if you take your own, take it out of the box and use ziploc bags instead. If you can manage to pack it in some sort of collapsible/soft vague, you may be able to avoid checking luggage on return flight.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For your purposes, the onsite c-store will at least get you started with cereal, milk, juice, sodas, fruits. You may find that if you are doing more extensive cooking, a trip to an outside store is both necessary, and especially for the kids, fun. Markets in foreign countries are sort of an adventure to look forward to.

We have a ziplock that we take when we fly to TS vacations. In it, salt, pepper, sugar/sweeteners, mayo packets, jelly/jams. We are coffee drinkers, so a supply of coffee. TSs never have napkins, so a pack of those. Some olive oil is good to have, but hard to safely pack. It is these small things that you just need a little of, but have to buy in larger containers that cost a bunch and you end up throwing away or leaving behind that cost a lot.

There is a packing list here on TUG, but it grew to include everything imagineable. You would need a truck.

Have fun, and don't stress a grocery run.

Jim

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for the info and tips! My son may actually find the grocery run entertaining. I hadn't thought of that!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for the info and tips! My son may actually find the grocery run entertaining. I hadn't thought of that!

A REAL Mexican supermarket, like a Mega or Soriana (I don't know the brands there) would be much more fun than a Walmart. Those are virtually indistinguishable from their US counterparts.

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took the shuttle into Playa, wandered around and did our shopping before catching the return shuttle.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We travel to that area at least twice a year. I NEVER cook anything other than breakfast and snacks. The resort grocery store has some things. I bring down my protein powder, plain greek yogurt, and snacks. The Mega in Playa is decent grocery store. Across the street from it is,El Fogon, which is wonderful taco stand. We usually drive into Playa the first evening we are there, eat at El Fogon and then shop at Mega. Enjoy your trip!!

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
We travel to that area at least twice a year. I NEVER cook anything other than breakfast and snacks. The resort grocery store has some things. I bring down my protein powder, plain greek yogurt, and snacks. The Mega in Playa is decent grocery store. Across the street from it is,El Fogon, which is wonderful taco stand. We usually drive into Playa the first evening we are there, eat at El Fogon and then shop at Mega. Enjoy your trip!!

Nice suggestion. We will try El Fogon on our next trip there.

Except for maybe breakfast, we never cook either. We normally also go to the grocery the day we arrive for basically wine, beer, coffee, cheese and snacks; we just make it a part of the travel day; then ready to go for the week. We sometimes go before our room is even available.

Makes for a tiring day - but seems like we are stealing a half day of vacation.

Mike