• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paranoid [buying silver]

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talk about being paranoid. Over the last month or so I have purchased 200 (cost about $5,000) 1 oz Silver (.9999) Maple Leafs. I figure if paper money goes to Hell, I should have a better shot at acquiring the necessities of life. Overkill? Absolutely. But it makes me feel better.

George

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And what is it that makes you think that 'paper money is going to Hell'? I'm all about having a diversified portfolio, but more for appreciation than as a defensive measure. Silver has lost almost half it's value in the last 4 years, and gold seems to be in steady decline after reaching astronomical values a bit over a year ago.

Here's some charts of various metal's price trends: http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/silver/

I'm not disagreeing with you, and if it makes you feel better, go for it, but if the worlds' economy really tanks, there will be more problems than where to trade one of those Maple Leafs for a loaf of bread.

At the current state of the drought situation, you'd be better off trading a few gallons of fresh water for food in California.

Jim

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seeds and bullets will be the valuable commodity if paper money collapses. Gold and silvers value is mostly as jewelry and electrical connections neither of those are necessities in an Apocalypse.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key to investing in physical assets whether gold bullion, coins, diamonds or collectibles is always to clearly understand am I paying a fair market price and what is it's liquidity.....can you sell it....quickly at a fair market price for reasonable cost. That isn't always the case. You don't want to find that you are limited to selling back to the dealer that sold it to you and at the mercy of what ever price they offer. I won't touch anything that doesn't have clear and fair liquidity.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...s4GYDw&usg=AFQjCNFKJWPzjCQj4Pg8jlMk_lSPALZOIg

Brett

Reaction score
Seeds and bullets will be the valuable commodity if paper money collapses. Gold and silvers value is mostly as jewelry and electrical connections neither of those are necessities in an Apocalypse.

zombies won't care if you have paper money or gold or jewelry
But bullets may help if you get a head shot

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silver has lost almost half it's value in the last 4 years, and gold seems to be in steady decline after reaching astronomical values a bit over a year ago.

The decline in price is one of the reasons I bought when I did. As to the poster who recommended bullets and seeds, I do have a 38 revolver and an AR-15 and ammo for both.

George

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The decline in price is one of the reasons I bought when I did. As to the poster who recommended bullets and seeds, I do have a 38 revolver and an AR-15 and ammo for both.

George

I think Northwest territorial Mint starting selling silver bullets as bullion. Best of both worlds. https://store.nwtmint.com/

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talk about being paranoid. Over the last month or so I have purchased 200 (cost about $5,000) 1 oz Silver (.9999) Maple Leafs. I figure if paper money goes to Hell, I should have a better shot at acquiring the necessities of life. Overkill? Absolutely. But it makes me feel better.

George

With that line of thinking, you definitely cannot trust the banks. Just get a bucket, fill it full of coins and bury it in the back yard. Make sure you get a small bucket as you can't lift a 5 gallon pail full of coin. Also, make a good map and survey the location. The bucket might be in the ground for 40-50 years before you or somebody wants to cash in the goods.

BTW, this actually happened to me. My father-in-law held the same belief that he could always buy a loaf of bread with his stash of coins. He would never tell anyone where the gold/silver was hidden so after he died it took some effort to find it. He had it in a 5-gallon bucket and I couldn't even lift it!! :eek: Had to use a hand truck to drag it in to cash in the coins.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Although it is bulkier than silver, cases of liquor could become quite a trading "currency" in an apocalypse.

Brett

Reaction score
Although it is bulkier than silver, cases of liquor could become quite a trading "currency" in an apocalypse.

yes, good idea. if the apocalypse doesn't come then you can just drink it.
Or drink it and relive the the good times before the asteroid, zombie or commie invasion, etc.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, good idea. if the apocalypse doesn't come then you can just drink it.
Or drink it and relive the the good times before the asteroid, zombie or commie invasion, etc.

OMG! You forgot about the Cannibal Women from the Avocado Jungle of Death. :eek:

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the liquor route.

A couple of years ago when I had a sore throat, I openned a fifth of Canadian Club that a salesman gave me in the late 80's. It was nice and smooth on the rocks. It didn't last very long after that.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talk about being paranoid. ...George

George,
You really need to balance out which threads you post to at the same time.

On the medical thread, you talk about giving up driving and living near the hospital as your old doctor retired.

End of the World theme or End of Driving theme or your changing SANITY theme all the while you are buying a stash of silver?

My recommendation - trade the silver for liquor, keep your gun with regular bullets and get a bunch of those little blue pills ---

Then you can enjoy life, keep your stash (pills, liquor, young wild things) and walk to the hospital if you need to keep going. Yep, the good life ==> sex, drugs and rock & roll. :cool::ignore:;)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My objective is to simplify everything. About 12-13 years ago I gave away almost everything I owned (houses, cars, investments, etc.) to my kids and ex-wife in order to die essentially without an estate. I live on my pension (which has great inflation protection) and Social Security. I have a couple of transaction Bank Accounts which are JTWROS, my German Shepherd, my guns, my race horses and my gold and silver. Call me crazy if you want but I am one happy camper.

George

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
With that line of thinking, you definitely cannot trust the banks. ...

As I recall the original poster was a bank president, guess he might have an inside understanding :ponder:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I recall the original poster was a bank president, guess he might have an inside understanding :ponder:

Sounds like my broker today, though he didn't say anything about stocking up on silver. I assured him I wasn't a panic-type person (circa 2008) and I weathered the storm quite well back then. Hmmm. :ponder:

Brett

Reaction score
My objective is to simplify everything. About 12-13 years ago I gave away almost everything I owned (houses, cars, investments, etc.) to my kids and ex-wife in order to die essentially without an estate. I live on my pension (which has great inflation protection) and Social Security. I have a couple of transaction Bank Accounts which are JTWROS, my German Shepherd, my guns, my race horses and my gold and silver. Call me crazy if you want but I am one happy camper.

OK, so you end up with guns, dogs, silver, (and one timeshare)

you'll be safe in the bunker, zombies won't want your pension

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so you end up with guns, dogs, silver, (and one timeshare)

you'll be safe in the bunker, zombies won't want your pension

You may not agree but I am happy with my guns, race horses, dog, pension, health insurance, silver and gold and otherwise uncomplicated life. The timeshare (my last of more than I like to remember) was put in my Son's name years ago.

George

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may not agree but I am happy with my guns, race horses, dog, pension, health insurance, silver and gold and otherwise uncomplicated life. The timeshare (my last of more than I like to remember) was put in my Son's name years ago.

George

I don't, on several levels- except the dog and the uncomplicated life. But if it works for you, carry on. Diversity on all levels is what makes the world go 'round.

After dealing with all my- and my DW's parents' leftovers, when you've finally cashed in your chips, I'm pretty sure your kids will thank you.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are living your dream.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
An uncomplicated life does sound dreamy to me. I like my quiet days.

However, guns, dogs, and horses sound like too much work for me. :D

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
After dealing with all my- and my DW's parents' leftovers, when you've finally cashed in your chips, I'm pretty sure your kids will thank you.

Ditto that ^^^. We should clean up after ourselves. What is it the Boy Scouts say? Leave no trace. Well, I do want to leave my posterity positive memories and stories. I think a journal or two should do it. On a small thumb drive (or whatever they are called these days).