• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting a vacation home?

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We have decided to get a dog this fall and as such, it will probably curtail our travels in the future. Will probably start selling off the timeshares and cutting back since most of them are not pet friendly. It's really no big deal since the airlines have raised fairs so high it's ridiculous to fly all the time. We boarded our last dog while traveling but that's just not fair when traveling for sometimes a month at a time.

On to my question. We've been looking at vacation homes at VRBO and wondering for those of you that have rented other than timeshares, where did you look other than where I already have. There are tons of sites out there but I would rather get recommendations from fellow tuggers. Thanks.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Home Away

We mostly use VRBO, but have rented thru HomeAway (a sister site) as well as just googling Vacation Rentals (Whatever Area). There are lots of management companies in highly desired areas that might have offerings not found elsewhere.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used VRO several times. I've also used local rental agencies in areas where there is lots of availability such as Outer Banks, Massanutten and Florida beaches.

No problems so far either way.

Nancy

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only used VRBO, but Craigslist for the vacation destination typically has ads from local rental entities (meaning not private party, although there are plenty of those as well) that I'd check out.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We need a vacation is also good for Florida and cape cod

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

dmorea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Homeaway User

I have been very happy with homeaway for several years (on both ends of the transaction). Though I do like the way you can sort on VRBO.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Homeaway.com and VRBO.com are owned by the same company, so you'll find pretty much the same policies on each.

One note: most people renting their property on these sites are not pet friendly. Because they are, frequently, renting vacation homes and live elsewhere, they aren't able to meet you personally to go over the apartment for damages, etc., nor are they able to check it personally when you leave. I think you will find the majority do not want a pet living there.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I've used VRBO mostly but I've also found vacation homes simply by googling "vacation rental"+city/town name. sometimes people set up their own small private websites for their vacation home(s).

We have dogs too. And cats. We tend to use a pet sitter or family member to watch them. They house sit and pet sit when we travel. Occasionally we board them, usually in our home town but sometimes we bring them with us and board them near our resort so we can visit often during the vaycay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is also a site called airbnb but having pets will make any rental a lot harder.

Joan:)

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Thanks everybody. I know pets are the major stumbling block but at least now I have some other ideas of where to look.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I know pets are the major stumbling block but at least now I have some other ideas of where to look.

Becky,
I used to have a wonderful German Shorthair pointer - she was 14 when she passed on. But boarding her at a kennel was pricey years ago. My family was too distance and most worked full time. I would not be travelling but a week or two now, if I had gotten another dog.

I understand your decision - I would today look for a good person to housesit your new dog while traveling.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Homeaway.com and VRBO.com are owned by the same company, so you'll find pretty much the same policies on each.

One note: most people renting their property on these sites are not pet friendly. Because they are, frequently, renting vacation homes and live elsewhere, they aren't able to meet you personally to go over the apartment for damages, etc., nor are they able to check it personally when you leave. I think you will find the majority do not want a pet living there.

We own a vacation rental and advertise on VRBO/Homeaway linked advertisement. We have found that most inquiries (70%) come from the VRBO listing. We have also used both when we rent for our personal use. Depending on the location, there are many 'dog friendly' properties (Colorado and Texas, for example).