• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How would you book 5 (2br) rooms at a DVC resort?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family has put it upon me to find 5 2br places at a disney resort in [2015] and to be honest, i have no idea how i'm going to accomplish that.

If i'm LUCKY, i can find 1 2br place on RCI and from what i can tell, it's going to be somewhere between 925 and 2,035 points to rent from a DVC owner. Do any owners actually carry that many points?

How would YOU accomplish getting 5 2br rooms during the same week at a DVC resort?

Last edited by a moderator:

WeLovetoTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family has put it upon me to find 5 2br places at a disney resort in the month of January 2015 and to be honest, i have no idea how i'm going to accomplish that.

If i'm LUCKY, i can find 1 2br place on RCI and from what i can tell, it's going to be somewhere between 925 and 2,035 points to rent from a DVC owner. Do any owners actually carry that many points?

How would YOU accomplish getting 5 2br rooms during the same week at a DVC resort?

Have you considered Wyndham Bonnett Creek? It's not DVC, but it is inside the Disney gates. There are some Wyndham owners that have several million points and use them to rent. Another suggestion is to check on Redweek.com. I have rented on that website before.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That is an impossible exchange - don't bother.

I would either rent from a DVC owner, or choose Bonnet Creek instead, and rent from a Bonnet Creek owner. There are owners who rent their points who have enough points for that.

You know that five 2-bdm. units at a DVC resort is going to cost a small fortune, right?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize you had won a lottery! That's about what it will take to pull this off. I am assuming the request was for all adjoining rooms too, wasn't it? And with a butler and cook?

Let us know how this works out.....

Jim

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggested bonnet creek, but it's my nephews first trip to Disney so my sister in law(the squeaky wheel) said it has to be a 'disney resort'.

What i'm going to work on this week and next, is to try to convince people to share rooms. If people share, we can get away with Three 2br places instead of Five. While it still won't be easy to find 3 2br places for the same time frame in the same DVC resort, it'll be easier(and cheaper) when compared to five 2br places.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It will be easy to rent from an owner - it will be impossible to get 3-5 units as an exchange. You may be able to get 1 exchange, and then rent the other units, but waiting for the exchange will cause a delay which may make it difficult to rent the other units.

Be careful with this - making reservations for family members can be a disaster. When it comes time to pay, make sure they pay for their own units directly, so if/when they want to bail out, it's not your money. Remember - when you rent from an owner, you usually can't cancel, because that leaves the owner in a bad situation, so you will want to make sure your family members understand that.

*I would not squeeze people into too few units. After you spend all day together with family, you need your space in the evening, and too much togetherness is NOT the formula for a happy family vacation.

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Disney Vacation Club

If you are using TPUs you will need several different deposits
to make several on going searches for the exact same dates.
If you are lucky and hit a bulk deposit, you may come up with
a few 1 or 2 bedroom units at different Disney Vacation Club
resorts. Doubt if you will get all your units at the same resort.
Put in your ogs request(s) early - have at least 52 tpus each.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Certain weeks are very doable for exchanging into DVC. But as Marti said, exchanging into the same resort will be tough, but who cares because you can meet in the parks.

Stay away from summer. Have the kids skip school.

I have had numerous matches for Labor Day 2014. I had AKL, BLT, BWV, SSR, OKW, and several others. Most were 1 bedrooms, some were 2 bedrooms. Finally, I was able to cancel the exchange request through RCI today. Try as I might, I couldn't cancel that part of my exchange online myself.

Your family should probably get over the "everyone gets a bedroom, including the kids," mindset. Sofa sleepers at Disney are fine.

Be prepared to pay 46-58 points for exchanges, and multiple deposits are paramount. You might get something at 7 months to match, then additional deposits will trickle in later.

My niece entered her search for early June and had no matches for months, and suddenly she is getting matches at less than four months out. I would have guessed she would be out of luck.

Set your searches very soon for best possible chance of matches. But be prepared to take whatever resort you can get.

Food and Wine would be tough. The lowest availability is during this time. I wouldn't even try it myself for that many units. Too many people want Food and Wine onsite, because they don't want to be responsible for getting behind the wheel of the car after drinking. We dropped daughter and SIL off at the park and picked them up, when we all stayed off-site and they wanted to party at Food and Wine one night.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you could probably get five 2BR units at different DVC properties for the same weekend, but it would be pretty difficult to get five at ONE resort. POSSIBLY if you set up your search more like 2 years in advance, and picked one of the bigger resorts (SSR or OKW). From my understanding, each DVC resort gets around 5-10 units of each size deposited for most weeks. If you want 5 on the same weekend (and even more so if it's just one resort), you'll have to be near the front of the ongoing search queue. It's relatively easy to be near the bottom of the top 5-10 (and get one unit), but it's going to be much harder to be near the top of the list (and get 5 units).

If you have five large deposits (preferably 60 TPU each) I would set up the ongoing searches right now. That's the only chance you have of getting them.

Is it a big deal if the check-in dates are not the same (some Friday, some Saturday, some Sunday) or if they're not at the same DVC property? Because there's probably no way around that, if you go through RCI.

If the ongoing searches fail (i.e. you get to 4-5 months out and haven't got them yet), I would find a Wyndham Platinum VIP and have them get you units at Wyndham Bonnet Creek at the 60 day mark. (Make sure they expect plenty of availability that close in, first, though, otherwise you'll need to have your contingency plan in place earlier.)

If that falls through, there are tons of reasonably priced rental homes in the Orlando area, and you could easily get 2-5 of those.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride,
Just put them in touch with David's Travel in Canada ... after the sticker SHOCK of what it costs to rent DVC, Bonnet Creek will look VERY GOOD.

And if they have the $$$$$ for their big dream, let them FRONT THE MONEY and deal with any change issues.

Sticky/noisy wheels always have LOTS of OTHER ISSUES - they think they can get the BEST UNITS & VIEWS, change the date by a day or two, want a refund when because it rains, add another room 2 days before checkin, pay at the front desk, want a refund after the stay ...

I would not handle that for a million ... relatives are jerks and this request is NOT DOABLE ... as an exchange ... only as a rental and via a big broker, like David's.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is the other thing, I don't believe Ride has the points to exchange for 3-5 units.

Ride - Bonnet Creek is every bit as nice as DVC, and you can probably rent there for half the price or less.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride,
Just put them in touch with David's Travel in Canada ... after the sticker SHOCK of what it costs to rent DVC, Bonnet Creek will look VERY GOOD.

And if they have the $$$$$ for their big dream, let them FRONT THE MONEY and deal with any change issues.

Sticky/noisy wheels always have LOTS of OTHER ISSUES - they think they can get the BEST UNITS & VIEWS, change the date by a day or two, want a refund when because it rains, add another room 2 days before checkin, pay at the front desk, want a refund after the stay ...

I would not handle that for a million ... relatives are jerks and this request is NOT DOABLE ... as an exchange ... only as a rental and via a big broker, like David's.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.dvcrequest.com/ is where to go to do this and yes 5 2Bd disney will be $$$$$

stoler527

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney has units called Grande Villas that sleep 12 people. Maybe you could look at those as a way of cutting down the number of units that you need. If it is a family event, it might be nice to spend time with family in a unit as long as each family has a separate bedroom. Put the kids on the sleeper sofas.

You didn't say what season you were thinking of traveling. January and September are lower point months to go. There may also be more availability at that time.

We made a reservation for a family member once. They didn't understand the limitations of timeshares and considered the reservation like a hotel reservation. They changed the dates and wanted a bigger room at the last minute. So, beware!!!!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I deleted the specifics of the time frame he is looking for, to comply with the "no-advertising" rule.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family has put it upon me to find 5 2br places at a disney resort in [2015] and to be honest, i have no idea how i'm going to accomplish that.

Step one: Tell the family member(s) who came up with that idea to figure it all out and to let you know when all the rooms are booked.

Step two: Have an alternate plan that doesn't involve 5 two bedroom units at a DVC.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other thing you may want to consider is to rent tree house villas. They're - relatively speaking - a good bargain for the size and perhaps your family members could rent 2 or 3 of those and try for 1-2 2-bedroom units via RCI.

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently rented my DVC points through Dave's DVC rentals for a party desiring three studios at Aulani. The reservations used up 609 points and the buyer paid Dave something over 8k for the deal.
Five 2 bedrooms for a week at WDW not during peak season will run about $20,000 at OKW using Dave's service. Retail will easily run about $30,000.
I suggest asking sister in law to pick up the first half of the rental.
Then wait.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
After they see the sticker price for 2BRs, I would also add that maybe everyone does not need a 2BR villa. Maybe some with less $ could even stay at a value resort and then just come over for dinner, hang out, etc. We had a studio at AKV and a 1 BR at OKW and cooked our dinners and hung out over at OKW. OKW has the most space of any DVC and also has a sleeper chair, in addition to the sleeper sofa.
Since OKW usually requires the least amount of points, and has good availability within RCI, I suggest you try to trade into OKW and then have others book @ OKW. There is really no need to book OKW prior to 5 or 6 months out, unless it's a prime week.

bethy

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be easy to rent from an owner - it will be impossible to get 3-5 units as an exchange. You may be able to get 1 exchange, and then rent the other units, but waiting for the exchange will cause a delay which may make it difficult to rent the other units.

Be careful with this - making reservations for family members can be a disaster. When it comes time to pay, make sure they pay for their own units directly, so if/when they want to bail out, it's not your money. Remember - when you rent from an owner, you usually can't cancel, because that leaves the owner in a bad situation, so you will want to make sure your family members understand that.

*I would not squeeze people into too few units. After you spend all day together with family, you need your space in the evening, and too much togetherness is NOT the formula for a happy family vacation.

I totally agree with all of this!!

For me, I would send each family (especially the squeaky wheel) the phone number to call Disney directly to book their own rooms. I would not want to be the middle man at all, no matter how the accommodations are paid for (whether via DVC points, cash or other).

If you think the others are open minded then you could send them a link to David's DVC rentals but that's as much as I'd personally risk as far as offering up a referral.

I have travelled with family and with friends and the above advice is imperative even under the best of circumstances and with the best of relationships. A group Disney visit can be great but it has to be handled with kid gloves and a lot of thought and a lot of healthy boundaries in place well ahead of time!

For example, two weeks ago we took our very best friends to the Grand Cal DVC for 4 nights as our guests. They are wonderful people. Even then, there were little things that bugged me that they as guests did: for example, complained that there wasn't daily housekeeping. And while I so hate to admit it I was shocked they didn't do a gracious gesture like take us to dinner or anything. I know I shouldn't expect it and we invited them purely for the pleasure of their company but I was still surprised. I personally at a minimum would have brought a bottle of wine or a bouquet of flowers as a hostess gift! BUT they still had to pay for their airfare and their park tix so it's not like we truly treated them to entire vacation. And I love them dearly and just realize that my way of doing things isn't the same as everyone else's. And we had a great time on the trip and that's what matters. Whew! Thanks for letting me vent! I needed to get that out I think!

Last edited:

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride,

I agree with Linda. If you look at DVC-specific boards, you will see lots of big family trip horror stories, and they seem to have two common themes.

First, people who don't know anything about timeshares consider the lodging "free," and are not at all aware of the applicable cancellation policies. So they have a very unrealistic understanding about changes of plans.

Second, with the lodging "free," many people initially look at the whole trip as basically "free." They don't realize how expensive a Disney trip is until they start looking at airfares, rental cars, and most of all Disney theme park ticket prices. Pretty soon, their "free" trip is costing them several thousand dollars, and they suddenly discover some other place they need to be during that time period. Poor timeshare owner gets left holding the bag -- losing points or deposits they've made. Don't go there.

There is absolutely no necessity for everyone being at the same resort -- in fact, some space and privacy would probably become very welcome about Day Two of the trip. I would put everyone on their own for everything, with a few suggestions for lodging -- David's, the DIS Rent/Trade Board where they can rent directly from an owner, and Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Most of the two-bedroom rentals I've seen at WBC are usually in the $800-$1,200 range for the full week.

It is each family's vacation. Let them plan and manage it themselves.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would disagree with the suggestions about getting Grand Villas or Treehouse Villas.

Grand Villas accommodate about 50% more people, but take almost twice as many points. Not a good value, especially if the family is already wanting separate accommodations (thus five 2BR units when they could fit in three).

Treehouse Villas are technically 3BR, but the square footage and number of people it accommodates is basically the same as a 2BR.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

deletd wrong thread

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, talked to some family members,explained it'll be upwards of $2,500-$4,000 a room....Some bailed some just 'aren't sure' if they are going to be able to go...

Right now, I'm just going to take care of finding two 2br rooms....Much easier and if anyone comes to me at a later time, atleast they'll be aware of the costs and by then i'll have a better idea of where/how to search.