• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Food and Transport

Quiding

Reaction score
Hi.

I am pretty sure I have read something about the transport regarding Lagunamar but couldn't find it but I am pretty sure my food question hasn't been answered before :)

1: What is the cheapest and/or best way to go from the airport to Lagunamar? I got an e-mail from the hotel and they wanted to arrange transport for
• $39.50 one-way for up to four people; $5 per additional person
• $74 round-trip for up to four people
We are 5ppl

Is this a fair deal or should we grab a taxi?

2: Food question. My wifes little sister has Coeliac (Celiak) disease, I don't know how common this is in USA but in Sweden, where we are from, it is pretty common and it means she can't eat most bread and corn and stuff... Does anyone know if there is any stores or shops that sells stuff that Celiak people can eat?

I hope you understand my English, not my native language :)

Have a great weekend!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In Mexico, finding a specialty store like this, and figuring out the transportation to get there may be challenging. You may want to contact the concierge at the hotel and see if they can find some info. for you in advance.

Have you been to Mexico before?

Quiding

Reaction score
No, only in Cozumel on a cruise but that doesn't count, it was for like 8hours :)

Thanks for the tips about the concierge.

What do you think about the transport? :)

Smithsingeneva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN (resale)
First of all, your English is excellent. We are traveling to Lagunamar, and we will use the resort transportation at the price you quoted. There are many opportunities in Mexico to be disappointed by what seems to be a great financial deal and I would not risk it for what is really just a few dollars.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hotel deal is a fairly good deal but check your arrival and departure times, it is not a 24 hr operation.

Taxis at the airport are pretty reliable but for 5 of you, you'll need a big taxi (US SUV) which is a premium over the standard taxi (though not double the price). The taxis at the airport are flat rate for hotel zone.

Celiac, does that mean your wifes little sister can still eat corn, potato, rice and tapioca? Many Celiacs can.

If so gluten free should be pretty easy in Mexico as it seems to me the primary source of wheat in their diet is flour tortillas and you can substitute those for corn tortillas. Vegetables, fruits, eggs, corn and corn tortillas, beef, chicken, beans, avocado, rice etc are all acceptable.

As is Tequilla!

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
transfers would cost $60 from Canada transfers or $65 from USA transfers.
Both companies are very good and private vehicle.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
transfers would cost $60 from Canada transfers or $65 from USA transfers.
Both companies are very good and private vehicle.

Let's correct this: Present pricing is $50 and $55 US round trip respectively. I scheduled one of these 2 weeks ago, and this pricing is still the way it is.

We have used USA Transfers many times and found them to be quite reliable. Canada Transfers is the new kid on the block...with apparently a similar format and $5 cheaper roundtrip pricing.

See
http://www.entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/transfers/cancun-transfers.asp?affid=1082
for USA Transfers...which, as I understand it, is run by a Canadian.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
1: What is the cheapest and/or best way to go from the airport to Lagunamar? I got an e-mail from the hotel and they wanted to arrange transport for
• $39.50 one-way for up to four people; $5 per additional person
• $74 round-trip for up to four people
We are 5ppl

Is this a fair deal or should we grab a taxi?

We used the hotel service to the resort. I think the price is reasonable. You might be able to save a few dollars by doing something else, but having it pre-arranged is convenient. We didn't bother with RT, as it's easy to get a taxi from the WLR back to the airport.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
she can't eat most bread and corn and stuff

If so gluten free should be pretty easy in Mexico as it seems to me the primary source of wheat in their diet is flour tortillas and you can substitute those for corn tortillas. Vegetables, fruits, eggs, corn and corn tortillas, beef, chicken, beans, avocado, rice etc are all acceptable.

As is Tequilla!

Corn tortillas are made out of CORN ;)

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Let's correct this: Present pricing is $50 and $55 US round trip respectively. I scheduled one of these 2 weeks ago, and this pricing is still the way it is.

We have used USA Transfers many times and found them to be quite reliable. Canada Transfers is the new kid on the block...with apparently a similar format and $5 cheaper roundtrip pricing.

See
http://www.entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/transfers/cancun-transfers.asp?affid=1082

Ditto on USA Transfers. We used them a month ago to go to WLR and booked round trip. No problems. For food we used the R2 bus to get to Cheddraui and took a cab back. They had plenty of gluten-free food in Cheddraui.

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score

See

The pricing I quoted was for 5 people which is the number the op said was in her group.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Corn tortillas are made out of CORN ;)

I have reading comprehension but Coeliacs can normally eat corn as it is not wheat / certain other grains.

Lets take the Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease
Coeliac disease is caused by a reaction to gliadin, a prolamin (gluten protein) found in wheat, and similar proteins found in the crops of the tribe Triticeae (which includes other common grains such as barley and rye).[5]
Note Corn is not mentioned.
And going into the 'other grains' section
Wheat subspecies (such as spelt and durum) and related species (such as barley, rye, triticale and Kamut) also induce symptoms of coeliac disease.[19] A small minority of people with coeliac also react to oats.[5] It is most probable that oats produce symptoms due to cross-contamination with other grains in the fields or in the distribution channels. Therefore, oats are generally not recommended. However, many companies assure the 'purity' of oats and are therefore still able to be consumed through these sources.[19]

Other cereals such as maize, millet, sorghum, teff, rice, and wild rice are safe for people with coeliac to consume, as well as noncereals such as amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat.[19][20] Noncereal carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes and bananas do not contain gluten and do not trigger symptoms.[19]
Again, as Corn is not a grain it is not in the list.

Lets take a look at Caliac.com and their unsafe gluten list.
http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html
Do a quick search on that page and the word 'Corn' does not exist.

Lets try about.com (less reliable) but a GF shopping list.
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshopping/a/GFshoppinglist.htm
Oh look, Corn Chips are on there, as is Corn Starch, Puffed Corn breakfast cereal, Corn Meal etc.

So while I am not personally Coeliac, I do deal with close family members with alergies (or in this case food intolerance - it Coeliac does not lead to anaphlyactic shock), I believe that the OP incorrectly included Corn in the list.

If corn is in the list then OPs wifes sister is Coeliac and Corn intolerant, which is a separate condition.

Last edited:

Quiding

Reaction score
And that is why I wrote that English isnt my native language :)
I made a wrong translation, of course you are correct.

Thanks for all the help!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that is why I wrote that English isnt my native language :)
I made a wrong translation, of course you are correct.

Thanks for all the help!
You are welcome, my daughter has allergies and we found dining in Mexico easier than in the USA as her allergens are not as prevelant and when they are they are served separately or as breakfast foods etc.

Enjoy Westin Lagunamar, Cancun. Try to get over to La Isla Mujares at least for a day.

Here is a thread here with lots of dining suggestions
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186217&highlight=westin+lagunamar+dining

Another recent thread on the resort etc.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180695&highlight=westin+lagunamar+dining

Enjoy your trip. If you go to the timeshare presentation, Don't BUY from the salespeople there. There are significantly lower cost ways of getting to Westin Lagunamar.

Last edited:

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
We used a local tour guide and he took us grocery shopping enroute from the airport to Lagunamar. His name was Manny and he has info online under the name Cancun with me.

Quiding

Reaction score
We are going to owners update on Friday, wont buy I think :)

Mother and father in law is coming with us, 100usdx2 since 2 couples and some discount on activities. And yes, we have compared prices with the guys outside the hotel :)

Only thing that bothers me is that there is no grocery store where you have at least a fairly good amount of meet etc. You have to go to downtown, RIGHT??? :)

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We are going to owners update on Friday, wont buy I think :)

Mother and father in law is coming with us, 100usdx2 since 2 couples and some discount on activities. And yes, we have compared prices with the guys outside the hotel :)

Only thing that bothers me is that there is no grocery store where you have at least a fairly good amount of meet etc. You have to go to downtown, RIGHT??? :)

There is nothing on the strip other than restaurants and bars - I wish. The closest you will get to an actual grocery store is the Cheddraui. The Walmart and Costco are a little further down.