• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Honeymoon suggestions?

Reaction score
Howdies!

My fiance and I were lucky enough to receive a pair of tickets to anywhere in the world as a wedding gift from her sister. And now one of her family friends is offering us a week or two at a timeshare through RCI!

These are tremendously awesome gifts, but they've kind of upped the ante as far as where we might want to visit for our honeymoon--I'm an editor and she's a counselor, so it'll be rare that we'll be able to travel anywhere in the world and not worry about the cost.

I've browsed the RCI website a bit and I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed.

Anyway, our honeymoon will be in early to mid June. And so I'm curious what timeshares have blown you away. Or what cities strike you as perfect for a once-in-a-lifetime kind of late-spring trip?

Thanks!
Andrew

PS I don't want to preemptively narrow down your responses, but we're looking for somewhere where we could maybe spend the first week relaxing, without the pressure of a ton of sightseeing, and then explore a new culture or history or landscape in the second week. Or something like that.

PPS I googled "June honeymoon ideas," and we were initially intrigued by Iceland and Croatia, but we haven't found any available timeshares in June at those locations.

Reaction score
I can say where NOT to go... Mexico. The reason is, they're infamous for roping people into sales presentations, telling the suckers they will get the world for a certain amount, only to find they get very little (from what I hear). Aruba is very nice (from what I hear), but if you buy from a resort there, you're stuck (no recission period).

There are LOTS of interesting places in the world to go. The best bet is to figure out what you want to do, and match your wants to what the resort offers.

TS

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How about South Africa? Quite a few timeshares there. You might spend a week in Capetown and another in a Game Reserve like Kruger National Park. Late June is dryer winter season which is ideal for wildlife viewing. There is also less chance of contracting malaria and the days are milder.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I think "honeymoon" I always think of lying on a beach, relaxing.

I would go for Fiji or Gold Coast area of Australia. Not a lot of timeshares there, but there are some.

Or maybe Iguazu Falls and Buenos Aires in Argentina. Buenos Aires is supposed to be beautiful and very European in feel. The falls in Iguazu are spectacular.

Happy Honeymoon!

elaine

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is your answer. Maui, one of the most beautiful relaxing places on earth. Paris,the number one city in the West for beautiful scenery, along the seine, Architecture and Art, the Louvre , close by Versaille, magnificent sculpture everywhere (Arc de Triumphe , Napoleons Tomb), unbelievably good food, and history everywhere you turn.

My choice of itinerary would be a busy week in Paris and all that cosmopolis has to offer then a week in the Maui relaxing, taking in nature, the beach, etc

Congratulations on your marriage. I am sure you will have a wonderful honeymoon.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is your answer. Maui, one of the most beautiful relaxing places on earth. Paris,the number one city in the West for beautiful scenery, along the seine, Architecture and Art, the Louvre , close by Versaille, magnificent sculpture everywhere (Arc de Triumphe , Napoleons Tomb), unbelievably good food, and history everywhere you turn.

My choice of itinerary would be a busy week in Paris and all that cosmopolis has to offer then a week in the Maui relaxing, taking in nature, the beach, etc

Congratulations on your marriage. I am sure you will have a wonderful honeymoon.

If you are in Paris then Mauritius or Bali would be a better second stop. It even more sensibly the Italian or franch or Spanish coast. Or maybe lake garda or the black sea.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
The plane tickets are easy but exchanging, not so much. The only way you will be guaranteed an exchange in late June is if you pick a place with a lot of timeshare availability -

Hawaii would be my choice. These are good decisions to have to make!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can say where NOT to go... Mexico. The reason is, they're infamous for roping people into sales presentations, telling the suckers they will get the world for a certain amount, only to find they get very little (from what I hear).
TS

That should not be the reason to avoid Mexico. I just went to Cabo in Nov and did not go on any timeshare presentation. One needs to be willing to be "roped in". We went to Grand Solmar at Lands End and I will say it is one of the most romantic places to have a wedding. In fact lots of folks have their wedding there, there was a wedding at that site that weekend that we were leaving. We saw the preparation and it was lovely.

The only issue is that it is hot in June in Mexico and that will be a good reason not to have a wedding there.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is clearly a 'once in a lifetime' deal, I'd go for the S. Africa option. OP lives in Seattle, which makes Hawaii a fairly cheap and easy getaway. Do that when you're paying. Africa--not so much. There are some RCI resorts there, but even if you have to pay it out-of-pocket and go to at least a couple of different areas, that would be my choice. Or a week in an RCI resort and one self-paid or with an outfitter.

S. America, Easter Island, Fiji, New Zealand, Argentina, (hello Mendoza for the wine buff) or Chile- all great choices. Europe is nice at that time of year- We did our honeymoon in Scotland. Loved the place. Scandinavia would have 20+ hours of daylight in June, it's expensive and not a lot of TSs.

You'll get a lot of recommendations that are other people's fantasies. I think everyone has a back-of-the-mind idea of 'where in the world to go if someone else is paying'. (Sigh)

Jim

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
For starters, you need to separate the "anywhere in the world" from the generous offer to stay at some RCI place.

In other words, forget the RCI part (wonderful offer, but a definite restriction), and focus on the anywhere in the world part.

For me, this would be very simple. Answer: Bora Bora, Tahiti & Moorea. Split the time between these islands. If you can find a more beautiful place on the planet, I'm all ears. ;)

On my bucket list, for sure. (No, I don't work on their tourism board ;)

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are the anywhere in the world tickets FF award tickets? If so availability for this June may be limited and you may want to find out what is available before starting your dream list.

As soon as you know where you can fly you can focus on the RCI stay. Timesharing works best for those who can plan and put in request 24-12 months in advance or those that can travel last minute. You may luck into a dream request or you many be stuck with the leftovers which may be your 5th or 6th place choices. You also can't debate about it too much if you see something you like. In general you can put it on hold for 24 hours and that is it. Great places especially in the summer just don't sit in the inventory of exchange companies while you make up your mind.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer:
I can say where NOT to go... Mexico. The reason is, they're infamous for roping people into sales presentations, telling the suckers they will get the world for a certain amount, only to find they get very little (from what I hear). Aruba is very nice (from what I hear), but if you buy from a resort there, you're stuck (no recission period).

There are LOTS of interesting places in the world to go. The best bet is to figure out what you want to do, and match your wants to what the resort offers.

TS

Totally disagree!!! No one is forced to go to any sales presentation and if they do no one is forced into buying.

I got both of my daughters there honeymoon's at the Mayan Palace resorts in Acapulco and they absolutely loved it. After both of them going my wife and I decided to go as well and stayed at the Grand Mayan (twice) and it was one of the best resorts ever. Neither one of my daugters did the sales presentation but I had no problems going and telling them no at the end of the presentations. So I highly recommend this for a honeymoon

Several years later we went to the Mayan Palace Riviera Maya with both of my daughters, their husbands and grand kids and again had a great time even though we liked their property in Acapulco better.:ponder:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Howdies!

My fiance and I were lucky enough to receive a pair of tickets to anywhere in the world as a wedding gift from her sister. And now one of her family friends is offering us a week or two at a timeshare through RCI!

These are tremendously awesome gifts, but they've kind of upped the ante as far as where we might want to visit for our honeymoon--I'm an editor and she's a counselor, so it'll be rare that we'll be able to travel anywhere in the world and not worry about the cost.

I've browsed the RCI website a bit and I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed.

Anyway, our honeymoon will be in early to mid June. And so I'm curious what timeshares have blown you away. Or what cities strike you as perfect for a once-in-a-lifetime kind of late-spring trip?

Thanks!
Andrew

PS I don't want to preemptively narrow down your responses, but we're looking for somewhere where we could maybe spend the first week relaxing, without the pressure of a ton of sightseeing, and then explore a new culture or history or landscape in the second week. Or something like that.

PPS I googled "June honeymoon ideas," and we were initially intrigued by Iceland and Croatia, but we haven't found any available timeshares in June at those locations.

So what do you usually like doing on vacation and what would you like to do on this vacation?

Visiting a city or going on safari is far more active than the beaches of HI or Boring Boring.

HI has more active side to it as does say Costa rica

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
One point that really needs to be emphasized here is that just because a resort is listed in RCI's resort guide, does not mean that you will be able to reserve it.

RCI is an exchange company, and for a particular week/resort to be available, another owner has to deposit it, and you have to get it, before anyone else does. The time frame you are looking for is very popular, and there may be many people who have already put in an on-going request (wait-listed) for the weeks you want, and they will be ahead of you in line.

I would get started by figuring out exactly what you can get through RCI, and then match the wedding and airline tickets to the RCI exchange(s) but not until AFTER you have the RCI exchanges in place.

You also need to be sure exactly what the restrictions are on the airline tickets.

You are getting a late start, so you will want to be flexible about when and where you go, for the best results. If you set you heart on one resort, for one week, you are likely to be disappointed.

Last edited:

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canary Islands is another beautiful place to go and usually lots of RCI availability. Combine it with a week in Barcelona , non timeshare, for a great trip.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the warnings about the RCI process! I'm at work now, but I look forward to sifting through them tonight or tomorrow....

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To me its hands down Maui. It has everything that all the other islands have and more.

If you want super luxury seclusion it has that. It also has a fun night life if you want that. It has as much natural beauty as any.

And best of all, its in the USA, which for me adds a positive safety factor.

Reaction score
Well, as Passepartout/Jim said, Hawaii isn't necessarily our top choice, just because it's relatively cheap and easy to fly to Hawaii from Seattle, so we're hoping to get more bang for our buck as far as the flight is concerned.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the previous point of separating the fly-anywhere gift and the RCI exchange gift. For the honeymoon, I'd pick an exotic location or one that would normally cost a lot for flights, and work in hotels for accommodations (unlikely you'd get an exchange at this late date). I liked the Paris idea.

Then, I'd put in a request soon for a 2nd anniversary trip using the RCI exchange gift--this would give you a better chance of getting an exchange in 2015. HI or MX would be nice.

Congrats!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the previous point of separating the fly-anywhere gift and the RCI exchange gift. ..............

Congrats!

Thanks. Glad to see someone else here is thinking just a tad around the corner of the box ;)

Although, I don't want to make the assumption that these two gifts are separable. That is, if it were me, I'd gladly sacrifice the thoughtful and generous gift of RCI accommodation for the "pair of tickets to anywhere in the world".

Then again, what does that sentence in italics encompass? Air tickets to anywhere? Air tickets to anywhere and accommodations? Air tickets...., and accommodations and meals? You get the point...

Regardless, if it's simply air tickets to anywhere, this to me is an absolute no brainer. Fly somewhere where you would never fly, and pay the remainder out of pocket, if necessary. :hi:

Bora Bora comes to mind. Oh wait, it's boring there... it looks real boring there! lmao!

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm late to the party, but my picks would be:

1. Tuscany -- A hillside villa or farmhouse with visits to Florence, Siena, San Gimignano (which BTW is magical at night), etc.
- or -
B. Provence or Mediterranean Coast, France.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, as Passepartout/Jim said, Hawaii isn't necessarily our top choice, just because it's relatively cheap and easy to fly to Hawaii from Seattle, so we're hoping to get more bang for our buck as far as the flight is concerned.

So what are you looking for?
Beach
City
Mountain
Lake
Active
Passive

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still think going to Hawaii is one of the best choices!:whoopie:

We rented our daughter and husband a unit in Maui nineteen months ago off of Redweek and they had a great time. We also gave them the Luau and they had a great time. We had taken our daughter there couple times when she was younger but her husband had never been to Hawaii so everything was new to him. Nineteen months ago and he still talks about their honeymoon in Maui.:clap:

phill12

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious about the free tickets anywhere in the world. Are these limited to a particular airline? Are they positive space tickets? Stand-by buddy passes? Award tickets using frequent flier miles?

If you can get positive space tickets anywhere in the world I'd pick a destination with expensive flights and make it a once in a lifetime trip.

If the tickets are award tickets or buddy passes you might be limited by what is available.