• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP Upgrade?

lvsatman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have about 800,000 points that I have purchased resale. Is it possible to get VIP status with Wyndham, even though I didn't buy from them or an authorized seller? I've seen some mention that you can, but not fully understanding how to do it, or what it may cost. Any help you can offer will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have about 800,000 points that I have purchased resale. Is it possible to get VIP status with Wyndham, even though I didn't buy from them or an authorized seller? I've seen some mention that you can, but not fully understanding how to do it, or what it may cost. Any help you can offer will be much appreciated. Thanks.

A search will reveal the methods most commonly used to get to VIP as cheaply as possible. However, if your question is how to "reclassify" or "utilize" the 800K resale points you already have to get there, I don't believe there are any currently viable methods... always happy to be corrected, but the closest strategy to using those 800K points to get to platinum would be to try to do an equity transfer. Depending upon where those points are based, it may or may not make sense even on the small chance you are able to make it work. This will of course require a pretty sizable retail purchase.

Typical methods involve PIC'ing 2 3BR red weeks for 508K VIP eligible points... this requires a retail purchase of close to $12K... a very few fixed week conversions still get classified as developer purchase when done with developer purchase (be careful, even if it looks like it "worked" many have found these are caught later by audit and removed, and the ones known to have worked in the past are no longer eligible for conversion). Transfer from close family member, etc.

Basically, if you read on this subject for awhile, you'll know the methods and how long each will take and how much they will cost. Then you can make the determination for yourself whether it is worth chasing after... unless you intend to become a mega-rentor, it would take a very long time to pay back, if ever. Those that have attained the status may not be inclined to hand out the "secret sauce" to create additional competition for themselves. If you do intend to become a mega-rentor, understand the time commitment, tax implications, etc. etc. - not saying that's what you're doing, but for the methods I described to pay off for you, you'll need to really max out your VIP benefits (including using all the guest certificates, discount windows, free upgrades, etc.) - which for personal use won't make sense.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Basically, if you read on this subject for awhile, you'll know the methods and how long each will take and how much they will cost. Then you can make the determination for yourself whether it is worth chasing after... unless you intend to become a mega-rentor, it would take a very long time to pay back, if ever. Those that have attained the status may not be inclined to hand out the "secret sauce" to create additional competition for themselves. If you do intend to become a mega-rentor, understand the time commitment, tax implications, etc. etc. - not saying that's what you're doing, but for the methods I described to pay off for you, you'll need to really max out your VIP benefits (including using all the guest certificates, discount windows, free upgrades, etc.) - which for personal use won't make sense.

Bottom line it makes no sense to mess with VIP if you only plan to use your points for yourself & family/friends. VIP only makes sense when you can fully leverage it to potentially cover & exceed the extremely high costs of getting it. There are far more chances to end up paying far more than you can ever get back out than there are of making money or even just breaking even on the whole process.

For most owners it is best to maximize what you own by purchasing resale & using banking / renting and pooling to get the most out of those points. VIP just isn't a good value as it costs far more than the potential benefits pay back. Think about it - why would Wyndham want to lose money on this? They are in it to make money & that includes the VIP system. It is mostly a sales gimmick and not a true value to buyers. Don't waste the time or money chasing it.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to take your shoes off and say please and thank you .......

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The link Paco provided is a little outdated. The new Numbers for Silver and Gold (400000 and 700000 points, (platinum stayed at 1,000000)) make it more difficult

I think you need to realize that the 800000 points you have, do nothing to getting you VIP. You are starting from scratch

Here are the ways I see today to get to VIP points

1) buy from Wyndham, (1000000 points at 15 cents a point = $150000
2) buy assumable loan contracts from Wyndham( cost unknown, but probably over $50000)
3) 2 PIC contracts (3 bedroom red weeks @ 254000 points each. Requires a 100000 point Wyndham purchase, (cost $20000 for Silver $40000 for gold)
4) some fixed and floating weeks at Wyndham resorts will convert to VIP points because they aren't labeled as "resale" in the Wyndham computers.. It used to be that you could convert weeks to points with just $2500 per week. Recently Ive been told that now you absolutely need to make a developer purchase to convert. Ive also been told that Wyndham doesnt like that these exceptions exist and is actively trying to get everything properly coded in their computer system as resales. At my last meeting with a Wyndham salesman he said I could convert 5 weeks with a $16000 new purchase. but he was sure there were no vip exceptions anymore...I think he is wrong, but I dont know how to uncover the exceptions either. So if you get lucky this works and is cheap...the problem is finding the weeks.
5)Buy a vip account from a dead guy (or almost dead) have him will the account to you..along the same lines you could marry a VIP owner...(Im already married, so no calls please)
6) do a lease arrangement with a VIP owner. You agree to pay his maintenance fees and he gives you the user name and password to use the account
7) this is not really a purchase either, but there is a Vacation Club operator that will give you all the benefits of a Platinum VIP for a one time membership fee. There are no maintenance fees...He gets you the platinum discounts and upgrades. You pay as you go for your vacations. and the promise is you pay less than the maintenance fees would be)

The real question is why do you want to be a VIP. I have played with these numbers a lot and I just dont see it working unless you intend to buy a lot more points (resale) and become a mega renter. There is another active thread here on tug where three of us are doing some self-congratulatory high fives because we got to Platinum on the cheap...we all three have more than 10,000,000 points and we all actively rent.

lvsatman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. No interest in becoming a mega renter, will do a little. Was looking at the benefits of being a VIP, and was wondering what it would take to make it happen. After reading the responses on here, I agree, it is not worth it. I think I'll just buy another 200,000 point resale contract. That will give us enough points to do what ever we want when ever we want.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
5)Buy a vip account from a dead guy (or almost dead) have him will the account to you..along the same lines you could marry a VIP owner...(Im already married, so no calls please)

You could see if you can get a VIP to do an adult adoption and adopt you.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
whoops deleted

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The link Paco provided is a little outdated. The new Numbers for Silver and Gold (400000 and 700000 points, (platinum stayed at 1,000000)) make it more difficult

I think you need to realize that the 800000 points you have, do nothing to getting you VIP. You are starting from scratch

Here are the ways I see today to get to VIP points
7) this is not really a purchase either, but there is a Vacation Club operator that will give you all the benefits of a Platinum VIP for a one time membership fee. There are no maintenance fees...He gets you the platinum discounts and upgrades. You pay as you go for your vacations. and the promise is you pay less than the maintenance fees would be)

Can you please PM me more information on this? Thanks!

lcml11

Reaction score
Can you please PM me more information on this? Thanks!

Beware of timeshare relief companies. Some of these may use Vikingships. Put distressed timeshare in a company. Get upfront fees. Rent for as long as they can. Then declare bankruptcy.

Did a quick shot at finding the reference, but could not it probably due to information overload.

If memory serves, there was some sort of discussion about one of these types of companies on TUG. I also think they were a seller of timeshares on E-Bay awhile ago.

Interesting thread:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191192&highlight=viking+ships+ride&page=2

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beware of timeshare relief companies. Some of these may use Vikingships. Put distressed timeshare in a company. Get upfront fees. Rent for as long as they can. Then declare bankruptcy.

Did a quick shot at finding the reference, but could not it probably due to information overload.

If memory serves, there was some sort of discussion about one of these types of companies on TUG. I also think they were a seller of timeshares on E-Bay awhile ago.

Interesting thread:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191192&highlight=viking+ships+ride&page=2

The thread you reference is interesting but has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Why you bring it up here is a mystery to me and I presume to the folks that asked the question.

We are not talking about relief companies, or liquidation companies or pcc's.

Win Point Vip is a company that, depending on your point of view is either a Vacation Club, (pay a membership fee and get platinum level, discounted vacations for life) or a points management company (they manage your points and pay your maintenance fees)

winpointvip.com

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
The thread you reference is interesting but has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Why you bring it up here is a mystery to me and I presume to the folks that asked the question.

We are not talking about relief companies, or liquidation companies or pcc's.

Win Point Vip is a company that, depending on your point of view is either a Vacation Club, (pay a membership fee and get platinum level, discounted vacations for life) or a points management company (they manage your points and pay your maintenance fees)

winpointvip.com

Simple, I was very tired and miss read the post. Thanks for the Company name, was looking for info on this issue and mixed and matched my subject. I was actually looking for the thread(s) addressing the subject I gave the answer for.

persia

Reaction score
I was twice offered a deal (when I owned only 177 K) where they would take my old resale deed, have me buy a new 310 K deed and have the whole thing financed at the cost of 133 K points. Don't know if the sales bot was blowing smoke, but I had the offer from two different sales droids in two different years.