• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale and interval international

Drpepr

Reaction score
We sat with a salesperson today to inquire about a timeshare at a resort near to our home. We would like use of the facilities and entertainment throughout the year which is available to owners. As we have no desire to use our week we were told we could deposit it in the interval international exchange for 60,000 points a year.
This is all new territory to us so I have a few questions:
1. II fees for gold appear to be 150 a year and then 160 or so per exchange....is this correct?
2. Will 60,000 points get anything halfway decent...not sure how many points things are...
3. If we buy in the resale market and not direct, can we do the same with II or do we need to pay a fee to be allowed to join II and deposit our week?

Thanks

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which timeshare are you looking at? Most of the timeshare systems are using weeks as opposed to points in II. II fee is about $89 a year, exchange fee per trade is about $174 if done over the phone, with a $20 discount if done on the web. Some systems have further discounts like Marriott and Starwood and they are both on the week system in II.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
we were told we could deposit it in the interval international exchange for 60,000 points a year.
2. Will 60,000 points get anything halfway decent...not sure how many points things are...
3. If we buy in the resale market and not direct, can we do the same with II or do we need to pay a fee to be allowed to join II and deposit our week?

Thanks

If you go to the interval site, go to the Legal information clickable at the bottom of the page (you don't need to log in). It says that with 60,000 points that you can reserve a studio (basically a hotel room) during the high-demand period (think like June-August), a one-br during a somewhat higher than average demand period. Or a 1 or 2 BR during a so-so demand period (think like Palm Desert in June). So, no, it doesn't have a really high trading power. Perhaps average.

If you buy resale, you can join II for about $89 a year (period). You can deposit your week and exchange it with them the same as if you bought from the developer. Also, you get access to "Getaways" at costs that are usually less or much less than the associated maintenance fees.

It seldom makes financial sense to buy from the developer.

Drpepr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. How is it that DVC is able to limit their resale buyers from using RCI but you all seem to suggest that as long as the resort I am looking at participates with Interval, I can deposit my week even when purchased resale? I also wonder if the resort can say that resale purchases would not include facility access for owners year round and limit your access to only when staying on property (like DVC).

I don't even know how one can obtain this information since the developer may not be so forthcoming with these answers.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. How is it that DVC is able to limit their resale buyers from using RCI but you all seem to suggest that as long as the resort I am looking at participates with Interval, I can deposit my week even when purchased resale? I also wonder if the resort can say that resale purchases would not include facility access for owners year round and limit your access to only when staying on property (like DVC).

I don't even know how one can obtain this information since the developer may not be so forthcoming with these answers.

Dvc resale owners can use rci there are no restrictions for that. They just can't book Disney hotels and cruises with resale points

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Unlike most resorts / systems DVC is not under the control of owners it is in the sole control of DVC. It was written that way and thus you are bound to it. That includes their absolute right to limit the "owners" rights to use the exchange system of their choice. They MUST use whatever DVC says they will use as all inventory assignment is handled by DVC.

In most other systems, even if the property is RTU type, you still hold some type of guaranteed use rights or an actual deed. With those base rights you can, assuming the resort was at one time affiliated either RCI or II and now no longer officially supports that, choose independently to place YOUR absolute use rights with II or RCI (or SFX or whoever) despite any protest from management.

Avoiding systems where such high level of inventory control exists (DVC) and other owner negative issues (developer/management holds all the control, including Board seats, ROFR clauses in resales, etc) are all part of the due diligence required of a buyer as they decide where / what makes a good value to own.

Best values tend to be smaller, owner controlled resorts in high demand areas. Once you get to medium to large sizes it often makes far more sense to rent what you need rather than owning. The shear quantity of inventory they tend to flood the market with tends to hold rentals near the annual fee mark with the premium not even close to the high cost of actual purchase. Plus with rentals you have far more control over the use dates/unit size / view etc as you can demand that the owner give you what you want or you look to another. They are stuck with what they can get for their ownership and have no real fallback option but to lower the price asked (and use that to your BEST advantage).

What you CANNOT do is trade for an II week (or RCI) then RENT that week. You have no right to do that under the trade rules.

Drpepr

Reaction score
Thanks all. Lots of great information. I have an email into Interval. I am curious about how they determine how many points a deposited week is worth and how often that value can change.

Drpepr

Reaction score
The other thing I am wondering is if there are multiple names on the deed, can multiple names be on the interval international account?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Check out II's membership guide page 5.

How many points you get is something that I think is negotiated between your resort and II for various weeks/sizes.

How much it will cost to use is printed in the membership guide on page 5. The formatting doesn't allow me to copy/paste here. The cost of a unit in club interval points is based on the TDI (travel demand index) for the week and the size of the unit. Even if you aren't an II member you can click on the directory and see the TDI for various resort locations.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The other thing I am wondering is if there are multiple names on the deed, can multiple names be on the interval international account?

I believe the answer is yes. We have an II account through our deeds with Wyndham. Both my wife's and my names are on the II account. But I first had to have both our names put on our Wyndham account.