• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parking Pass Person

Reaction score
What do you say to that person so you are able to get your pass and leave that area quickly? We've stood there for 15 minutes before telling the person that we were not interested in meeting with Member Services. We would also want to know what to tell the person so Member Services will not disturb us while we are in the room. I always take the phone off the hook and I do not answer the door. They have knocked on our door several times at different resorts, even with a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the door knob. We've stopped hanging that up because they are all blind!!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Leave DW or DH in the car when you get over to the desk tell them:"Oh I am sorry something came up and my wife/husband couldn't get the week off work, so I am here by myself with the kids"

They should leave you alone all week since they can't pitch you, since they can't break I have to discuss it with my wife/husband

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tell them that I am a timeshare resale broker, and a vacations rental broker. That I know the product better than they do and I wont be buying anything. If they press I tell them to check with the sales manager, as Im sure he doesnt want me wasting his salesmans time, especially since if I do decide to buy something Ill be placing the order with my favorite salesman who works out of another property

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Leave DW or DH in the car when you get over to the desk tell them:"Oh I am sorry something came up and my wife/husband couldn't get the week off work, so I am here by myself with the kids"

They should leave you alone all week since they can't pitch you, since they can't break I have to discuss it with my wife/husband

This does not always work. At Canterbury in SF several years ago, I was offered and attended a "owner update" even though DH was not with me. I was really surprised as I had always heard that both spouses have to be present.

lilpooh108

Reaction score

Thanks, this sounds like the easiest idea.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks, this sounds like the easiest idea.

If we don't want to attend I send my wife & any guests up to the room so they aren't held up or around to be addressed by the parking weasels. Then I ask for the parking pass. If they start the pitch I interrupt and say " I need the pass, do you have it?". They always say yes so I hold out my hand.

If they start up with the pitch again I either walk away at that point (they never ever have even left a notice on my vehicle even if I have no pass showing) or I immediately ask for the latest available time on the last day of our stay (depend on my mood). They either chase me with the pass in the first case (my favorite) or they give me an appointment in the second. Naturally we never show for the appointment and we never leave any deposit - why would we they want US there we're not paying for the privilege! If they balk about no deposit I ask for the pass one more time & if they don't hand it over - walk. In all but one case I was on my way to the unit within 5 minutes with a pass. The one time they let me walk with no pass but they never hassled the car.

Of course even with the appointment they call so as soon a we walk through the door the phones are unplugged. I always listen to the messages just before we leave as they are a hoot to hear as the desperation rises as the week progresses. Interestingly in our last 5 Wyndham stays 3 times they never even asked to set up a tour. The other 2 they did. My wife took the bait at Bonnet Creek - I used the walk away and got the pass with no pitch at the other.

It's your vacation and they offer parking. If they want you to have a pass then they can give it to you not try to hold it hostage. If they do then turn it back on them. It shouldn't be a big hassle.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just turn my hearing aide off and just keep saying what was that now. Plus we do not answer the unit telephone at all.

north

TUG Member
Reaction score
This does not always work. At Canterbury in SF several years ago, I was offered and attended a "owner update" even though DH was not with me. I was really surprised as I had always heard that both spouses have to be present.

I often travel without my wife, and the parking pass person always wants me to come to an update anyway, even if I state that my wife is not with me. Normally the presentation doesn't last very long when the sales person finds out my wife is not there, and I'm off to gifting. The best one was in Vegas where I got a decent hot breakfast before they asked if I had any questions. I said no, and was off to gifting. :)

What really works for me, is saying that I will be attending a conference and have no time for an update.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
If we don't want to attend I send my wife & any guests up to the room so they aren't held up or around to be addressed by the parking weasels. Then I ask for the parking pass. If they start the pitch I interrupt and say " I need the pass, do you have it?". They always say yes so I hold out my hand.

If they start up with the pitch again I either walk away at that point (they never ever have even left a notice on my vehicle even if I have no pass showing) or I immediately ask for the latest available time on the last day of our stay (depend on my mood). They either chase me with the pass in the first case (my favorite) or they give me an appointment in the second. Naturally we never show for the appointment and we never leave any deposit - why would we they want US there we're not paying for the privilege! If they balk about no deposit I ask for the pass one more time & if they don't hand it over - walk. In all but one case I was on my way to the unit within 5 minutes with a pass. The one time they let me walk with no pass but they never hassled the car.

I just put this to use at Glacier Canyon. We're here for one night, and got in just before 9 pm. We have to check out by 10 am. She actually stood up at one point and asked me "you won't answer 12 questions for a $50 gift card?" I replied "no, please give me my pass." and held out my hand. I started to turn away, and she almost threw it at me.

I detest going to the Member Dis-service desk here.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on my mood. Sometimes I like to have a little fun by replying with random mutterings such as, "Wow, the vacuum bag is hot today, are we going to the white van now?" Usually they see through this so I have to break into an uncontrolled fit of sneezing and coughing.

Other times I'm just no fun and assertively say, "I'm not buying anything, I'm not listening to a sales pitch, let's not waste each others' time, I just want the pass, thanks." The next day, 4 hours into the sales pitch, my wife then asks, "what the heck, why are we here? Why do you always assertively say that to your shoes instead of the person with the pass?"

Actually, if you say loudly, "will this be my opportunity to hear why it makes more sense to pay $225/K point here rather than <$5/K point on ebay?" it tends to hurry things along.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Actually, if you say loudly, "will this be my opportunity to hear why it makes more sense to pay $225/K point here rather than <$5/K point on ebay?" it tends to hurry things along.

That only works when there are other marks in the room. No such luck tonight.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
That only works when there are other marks in the room. No such luck tonight.

Ouch... sorry to hear that. Yes a crowded room helps.

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Assertive, " I bought many timeshares in aftermarket and don't wanna waste each other's time and salesperson' chance. Thanks for the pass"

2) Passive, "Wife is not with me" or "My two year-old can not sit through two hours pitch"

3) Aggressive, "I don't need anymore! Please don't ask or call again and I won't have to complain to _____"

4) Cooperative, "Why $75, I used to get $150"......."Ok, $125 is fine...11 o'clock works for me"

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tell them that I am a timeshare resale broker, and a vacations rental broker. That I know the product better than they do and I wont be buying anything. If they press I tell them to check with the sales manager, as Im sure he doesnt want me wasting his salesmans time, especially since if I do decide to buy something Ill be placing the order with my favorite salesman who works out of another property

Well that would do it! However I read you are on the official Wyndham blacklist and no longer need to worry about that... I bet - you will be asked again and again and again! To Infinity and Beyond!

I tell them that I am in a hurry and running late. My family is waiting for me outside... or something like that. I tell them that I really have to go and I need my pass. They usually give me their card to call them to schedule...ha, ha! :hysterical:

Cynthia T.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I had a guest who told them they were unemployed and that did the trick. It's been awhile since I've been targeted, don't they ask your annual salary?

They don't bother us anymore (we've made someone's list and are no longer solicited to for updates) but in the past we've had horror stories (including knocking on the door because the phone was unplugged (and yes it was early and it woke people up).

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was all set last year at Great Smokys -- I was just going to give them a firm no and walk away.

I cautiously eyed the sales weasels across from checkin as I approached. I stepped up to checkin, gave the lady my name, she checked my reservation, made several entries into the computer, and said, "Here are your room keys...and your parking pass!"

Never had to go to the weasel lair.

bobgolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
During our recent visit to Glacier Canyon we had two cars but I only had one parking pass.
After the first day I didn't put the pass in either car. GC is a large complex with several venues. Why bother with a "Wyndham" parking pass. We had no issues without a pass.
I will not bother going to the sales room next time at GC, a parking pass is only a sales ploy. It has no value to your experience.

Reaction score
I've looked around Wyndham's site, and they say to qualify, the family MUST make a salary of no less than $80000. I make a quarter of that. I think they lower the boundary, due to the fact we already own. So, that would be a good excuse: you make less than $80000 per year, you KNOW that is a requirement to buy from them, and it would be a waste (or a guaranteed default) if you bought again.

TS

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
This has worked for me...(spoken with feigned interest) ”No time to chat right now...i just needed to check in so the family can get settled, but I'm running late for an appt. I'll stop by after my appt.” The phones get unplugged as soon as we get in the room.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another Option

I don't think the parking pass means much unless they or someone else run into your car or you leave your lights on in which case they need to get in touch with you. I always keep my old pp's and use the color of the day upside down on my dash or concealed where they can't read the date easily. They have better things to do with their employees than to have someone going around looking at your parking pass. I've also noted that many cars have no pass displayed.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
What happens if someone agrees to an update, but just doesn't go to it?

What will happen if I tell them that I don't want any of their gifts, but I will go to the meeting near the end of my stay, because I already have plans for the first several days? Then, I just don't show. What happens?

Jim

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

What will happen if I tell them that I don't want any of their gifts, but I will go to the meeting near the end of my stay, because I already have plans for the first several days? Then, I just don't show. What happens?

Jim

Nothing (what can they do?). That's why it is critical to avoid giving them even $20 to assure attendance. Use any excuse necessary but do not part with any cash. My favorites are "I need to hit the bank" (yeah, hold them up like the TS weasels hold up the marks guests) or "Why would I give you money since you plan to pay me? Either make the reservation with no deposit or give me the pass and let me out of here - NOW!" (Must be stated in no uncertain, I'm ready to go off type terms so they sense no weakness or plans to give in).

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

That might actually work towards getting you banned from future invitations. Not only would you dodge one more opportunity to wear you down, you would leave a vacant seat, they could have pitched someone else.

Does the Parking Pass person ask for a credit card, I have only attended from an OPC booth and they do the credit card/refund game to make sure you actually attend,

Last edited: