• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA fee in our renewal and online - no opt out

JHTUG

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the process of paying for our annual HGVC maintenance fee. I noticed the ARDA is automatically calculate into the total. While attempting to pay online, I see they don't even have an option to opt out. Is this an income generating maneuver hoping people don't pay attention? In the past there was a way to uncheck that "voluntary fee"? Did others have success not paying this fee?

Thanks

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
At our resorts if the "opt out" checkbox isn't available we just reduce the payment by the "voluntary" amount. Never had a problem after that. It does seem that ARDA encourages resorts to make the fee seem standard.

JHTUG

Reaction score
At our resorts if the "opt out" checkbox isn't available we just reduce the payment by the "voluntary" amount. Never had a problem after that. It does seem that ARDA encourages resorts to make the fee seem standard.

Thanks for confirming. Do you by chance make payment through the mail and take out the fee if paying by check or do you pay online? I tried to do it online as I have been for several years but even the online is now missing the opt out box they used to have.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Either way, simply deduct the fee before paying. They want you to pay it, so they don't want to make it obvious.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I pay it.

ARDA-ROC is active on behalf of owners.

These funds don't go directly to ARDA.

This is for ARDA-ROC.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
There's no way to deduct this fee if you pay online. You have to call in or pay by mail. I emailed customer service about this and got this reply, which I posted in the MF thread:

"Thank you for contacting the Hilton Grand Vacations Club. We are currently aware of the error on the website that doesn't allow for members to opt out of paying the $5.00 voluntary ARDA fee. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and are diligently working to rectify this error. In the meantime, if you would like to make a payment without the Voluntary ARDA fee, please contact us by phone at 1-888-875-4479, and a representative will be more than happy to assist you."

I don't expect it to be fixed before MFs are due.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is an error, and I don't think they will fix it until hell freezes over. Most people will figure it is too much trouble to opt out, and will pay it. NOT ME.

Fern

There's no way to deduct this fee if you pay online. You have to call in or pay by mail. I emailed customer service about this and got this reply, which I posted in the MF thread:

"Thank you for contacting the Hilton Grand Vacations Club. We are currently aware of the error on the website that doesn't allow for members to opt out of paying the $5.00 voluntary ARDA fee. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and are diligently working to rectify this error. In the meantime, if you would like to make a payment without the Voluntary ARDA fee, please contact us by phone at 1-888-875-4479, and a representative will be more than happy to assist you."

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do I Pay ARDA Fee?

I've never paid the (escalating) ARDA Fee, even when it was only a dollar or two.

Why? ARDA, The American Resort Development Association, is mainly a trade organization, representing Developers and related vendors, etc. Yes, they also have created ARDA-ROC, the "Resort Owners Coalition." But of ARDA-ROC dues payers have no representation in ARDA, and cannot become members of ARDA. Doesn't seem very fair, does it?

Sure, ARDA has backed legislation which has stopped jurisdictions of forcing hotel taxes on timeshares, and other taxes. But let me tell you, any time ARDA decides to back an issue, it helps its developer members more than it helps you. Because of this, I choose not to pay the "voluntary" ARDA-ROC Contribution.

Fern

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The unscrupulous advertising sites with high upfront fees are part of ARDA. I will name one: Sell My Timeshare Now. Despicable company, charges a lot of money for advertising on their site, and they don't care whether the person who advertises and pays the fees get any action on their ads at all.

So ARDA may have some good companies, but there are a lot of really horrible companies who claim to be members of ARDA. Big turnoff.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks paying the ARDA-ROC fee is in any way helpful to owners ought to consider paying that fee instead to TUG, which is helpful to owners.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
HGVC site used to have an opt out check mark. That would have to mean that the took away that functionality that was there. So NOT an error, but perhaps an oversight.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My resorts 'voluntarily' separate out the ARDA 'contribution', so I 'voluntarily' subtract the line item from the MF payment and send the check.

JHTUG

Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying. I agree, these coalitions are focused on generating the industry more money, not fighting for the benefits of owners. Not very different than tobacco company lobbyists.

Also agree that they are not likely to "Fix" the online issue of not being able to elect out. If the $10 fee went to TUG then I'd happily pay it but not to ARDA.

Thanks Everyone!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
heck yea, how do we get them to add a line for a $5 donation to TUG to help owners =)

id actually prefer just a line telling folks to go to the forums, vs a momentary donation...as that would be far more beneficial to all those who saw it!

Its sad that they can so easily insert this line so that it reaches 100% of timeshare owners every year, but they cant include a warning to avoid upfront fees and other common scams in the industry that give it such a bad name.

Islander7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Bay Club
BHC W 57th
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Marriott Grand Chateau
"Its sad that they can so easily insert this line so that it reaches 100% of timeshare owners every year, but they cant include a warning to avoid upfront fees and other common scams in the industry that give it such a bad name."

At least one has. The following is right off the HGVC landing page:

"What should you do if you are contacted with an offer to rent or sell your timeshare?
Be Cautious. Legitimate resale and listing companies do not collect an up-front fee.

Gather Information. Gather specific information about the company calling you, including the name of the company, the full name of the individual, the number they are calling you from and the day and time of the call(s).

Know your rights. Often these companies are calling you in violation of do-not-call laws. If your number is on the do not call list and you have not done business with the calling company, you may have reason to file a complaint against the company with your state do-not-call regulatory agency and/or the FTC.

Check the Validity of the Offer. Also, you may call Hilton Grand Vacations at 1-800-932-4482 to confirm whether the offer is from Hilton Grand Vacations.

Report the Incident. If you have been contacted by a third party falsely claiming a relationship with Hilton or falsely claiming to have received information about you from Hilton, we want to know. You can report the incident by calling 1-800-932-4482."

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I agree, these coalitions are focused on generating the industry more money, not fighting for the benefits of owners. Not very different than tobacco company lobbyists.

Also agree that they are not likely to "Fix" the online issue of not being able to elect out. If the $10 fee went to TUG then I'd happily pay it but not to ARDA.

Thanks Everyone!

I see that you are a Guest here. You are certainly welcome to stay and your input is appreciated, but to MANY of us, the $15 to join TUG and have access to all the reviews, the Distressed and Sightings of hard-to-find TSs ake membership a true bargain.

At no extra cost, you get the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping TUG get out the word about not paying exorbitant upfront fees and all the other things TUG does.

Just think about it. Thanks.

Jim

P.S. members also have the prestigious Member under their username identifying them as true experts in all things timeshare and drinkers of the Kool-Aid. :)

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
"Its sad that they can so easily insert this line so that it reaches 100% of timeshare owners every year, but they cant include a warning to avoid upfront fees and other common scams in the industry that give it such a bad name."

At least one has. The following is right off the HGVC landing page:

"What should you do if you are contacted with an offer to rent or sell your timeshare?
Be Cautious. Legitimate resale and listing companies do not collect an up-front fee.

Gather Information. Gather specific information about the company calling you, including the name of the company, the full name of the individual, the number they are calling you from and the day and time of the call(s).

Know your rights. Often these companies are calling you in violation of do-not-call laws. If your number is on the do not call list and you have not done business with the calling company, you may have reason to file a complaint against the company with your state do-not-call regulatory agency and/or the FTC.

Check the Validity of the Offer. Also, you may call Hilton Grand Vacations at 1-800-932-4482 to confirm whether the offer is from Hilton Grand Vacations.

Report the Incident. If you have been contacted by a third party falsely claiming a relationship with Hilton or falsely claiming to have received information about you from Hilton, we want to know. You can report the incident by calling 1-800-932-4482."

that on the website, or included in the annual maintenance fee bill?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ah, yea...I believe many resorts have included (at least somewhere) a blurb about upfront fee scams.

I just wish they all took a stance against them, its not like it would be that difficult if they truly wanted to make an effort to educate owners.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
ah, yea...I believe many resorts have included (at least somewhere) a blurb about upfront fee scams.

I just wish they all took a stance against them, its not like it would be that difficult if they truly wanted to make an effort to educate owners.

I thought this one had a warning about the upfront fee companies but I don't see it now. They do have two links to TUG on the lower right under "Popular timesharing links."

http://daytonaresort.net/

I've traded into this resort a few times and alway check for the coupons link when I'm going to be in the area. They maintain a website that IMO is useful to visitors of the resort.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would write ARDA and asked them is this a mandatory fee or a voluntary fee for a resort to charge; just to play devil advocate ?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would write ARDA and asked them is this a mandatory fee or a voluntary fee for a resort to charge; just to play devil advocate ?
What authority would ARDA have to make it a mandatory fee? :confused:

Kurt