• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ebay vs other brokers for resale

titan7

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am seeing a lot of great deals on ebay, mixed reviews from the broker selling them from what I see due to the title company, pacific transfer or something like that. However they are about $1500-$1600 cheaper. Are the better brokers worth the higher price or are the issues from ebay overblown? Sure, I want to save $$ like anybody else but at what cost? Any experience?

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you are asking. There are multiple sellers on eBay and some have better reputations than others. If the question is buying on eBay vs. buying from an independent broker, then chances are you will get a better deal on eBay. Independents have mixed reputations as well, so no matter who you buy from you should search for comments about them here on TUG.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am seeing a lot of great deals on ebay, mixed reviews from the broker selling them from what I see due to the title company, pacific transfer or something like that. However they are about $1500-$1600 cheaper. Are the better brokers worth the higher price or are the issues from ebay overblown? Sure, I want to save $$ like anybody else but at what cost? Any experience?

Take your time reading through here:

http://tug2.net/googlesearchresults...ID:10&ie=UTF-8&q="Pacific+Transfer"&sa=Search

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Pacific transfer gets so much bad press that eBay seller selltimeshareorg doesn't list them as the closing agent in his auctions any longer.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've done 3 deals with pacific transfer. 2 went off smooth as silk. The 3rd was a problem. And to make it worse the communication was awful. Ultimately they admitted that the couldn't get the deal done and returned my money. (A year later)

I don't see them as thieves or scam artists in any way; just not very good at what they do. I'll still bid if they are the closing agent, but only if I can get a great deal or if it's something I absolutely must have.

titan7

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW, I took a look at that thread, that's a mixed bag. I am looking at a
Marriott Maui Ocean Club 1 BR oceanview EOY even for $4000.00 with a reputable broker. Then I see ebay and the same unit went for $2,414.00 last night, I was going to bid $2500, but didn't as I had questions. I am just trying to figure if $4k is above market price or fair market value. I purchased my EOY direct from Marriott 9 years ago before coming here, and that still hurts, don't want to overpay again, lol. Any reccs would be most appreciated.

thanks!

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... I was going to bid $2500, but didn't as I had questions. ..!

That was a very smart decision. Ask your questions here, wait for answers, PM someone if it sounds like they can help you.

Once you are comfortable with your knowledge look for what you want.

tug1873

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Maui Ocean Club 1 BR oceanview EOY even for $4000.00 with a reputable broker. Then I see ebay and the same unit went for $2,414.00 last night, I was going to bid $2500, but didn't as I had questions. I am just trying to figure if $4k is above market price or fair market value. I purchased my EOY direct from Marriott 9 years ago before coming here, and that still hurts, don't want to overpay again, lol. Any reccs would be most appreciated.

thanks!

I am not sure I would want anything in Maui as the taxes they are crazy on timeshares. Isn't Marriott Ocean Club very high fee's. I would buy a trader and trade into Maui instead. Also check the hotel rates it may actually be cheaper to just rent a hotel room there.

I also personally would not pay that much for an Ebay Auction I would try to negotiate the broker down on that one. The fees are comming due soon so you should be able to get a break on it.

titan7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes the fees are high, close to $1,800 on 1br annual. But $257 per night does not get you a nice 900sf ocean view suite. rentals are going for $1800-$2200.00 but then is the week you want to go available. It's just hard to peg the pricing on these units lately.

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score

thanks!

Auction winning bid and listing price are different things. You can always make lower offer to broker...

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes the fees are high, close to $1,800 on 1br annual. But $257 per night does not get you a nice 900sf ocean view suite. rentals are going for $1800-$2200.00 but then is the week you want to go available. It's just hard to peg the pricing on these units lately.

Baloney! Unless you are just dieing to stay in a high rise, you can rent a private home condo for 1/3 to 1/2 that number. We regularly rent from owners on www.vrbo.com on 2+ bedroom 1500-1900sf, fully equipped homes/condos ocean front for a January week Maui where we can lob a stone into the surf from the lanai for $1100- $1400. Maybe not as 'prestigious' as a luxury high rise with a concierge and a spa, but a lot more to my liking.

Jim

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Baloney! Unless you are just dieing to stay in a high rise, you can rent a private home condo for 1/3 to 1/2 that number. We regularly rent from owners on www.vrbo.com on 2+ bedroom 1500-1900sf, fully equipped homes/condos ocean front for a January week Maui where we can lob a stone into the surf from the lanai for $1100- $1400. Maybe not as 'prestigious' as a luxury high rise with a concierge and a spa, but a lot more to my liking.

Jim

Agreed. We rented a beautiful house right on the beach about 1500 sq feet for a week in November for $850. Paying big money to buy plus high annual fees in an area that ties you to expensive air fare just to use makes zero sense. Rent or trade in don't buy Hawaii.

Sent proudly from my Samsung S4 and Tapatalk

titan7

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

Yeah, l like the high rise resort vibe. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

mspeggysue911

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought from selltimeshare.org and pacific Transfer was the title company. They took my money and I never have gotten the contract into my name. Neither company will answer my emails nor will they even answer their own phones. When I finally got Pacific on the phone they hurried up and put me on hold real quick when I told them why I was calling and they never came back. Did that numerous times and once even stayed on hold for over an hour. Nobody ever came back.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB on both of them and Pacific already has 58 complaints filed against them.

I would never suggest purchasing from them. Once being burned is enough for me.

Their listings say they don't take credit cards but if you email them and tell them that is the only way you can pay they will take it. Do that to protect yourself so if they screw you over you can dispute the charge on your credit card.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some reasons not to deal with them.

Their listings contain incorrect information.

They don't take credit cards.

They won't answer my email about the listing even though they say this in the auction.

All question and concerns must be addressed before the bid is placed!

Any concerns in regards to the ownership such as: property verification, particular details, deed, ownership documents or estoppel, must be addressed before placing a bid. Seller will not provide any additional information at the end of the auction until buyer completes signed purchase agreement and submits full funds in escrow.

You can't track bids or bidders because they hide behind the "private auction" nonsense.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TROPIC-SHOR...11195606923?pt=Timeshares&hash=item19e3c64f8b

I own at this resort and have a friend looking at this auction because he wants to buy in. I hope all goes well for the person who did bid on this. Losing $5 doesn't matter but the aggravation of working with them is not worth the trouble IMO.

Last edited: