• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Are Folks Looking For When Buying Into a Resort?

seashelldm

Reaction score
As an owner of an older timeshare, I'm looking for feedback of what today's timeshare buyers are looking for in a timeshare resort, especially an older resort -- i.e. amenities, interior of condo (granite, hardwood floors, furniture, entertainment systems), fees, activities (kids and adults).

A few newer owners would like to suggest modernizing and any feedback of what people are currently looking for would be helpful.

Thanks for your feedback.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I can tell you about what I'm looking for but it may not help with what you're looking for.

The three most important things are size and configuration of the unit, location, and the week or weeks I can use the resort.

Along with this is relative cost per year to use. This means looking for a well run independent that is concerned with maintaining the resort and not corporate profit.

Way down on my list is "brand new" furnishings. I want the resort clean and the furnishings serviceable.

I currently own a unit that has been collection about $100 a year for the reserve fund. They are going to start a total remodel this year and are increasing the amount for the reserve fund to $200 and are taking out a 4 year loan to get the work done.

The place is very nice now and I'm not interested in paying that kind of money just to have it look new. I'm fine with the current counter tops, floors and appliances.

I am looking for another unit and my ideal unit will be and ocean front 2Br lock off with MFs around $600. I own a 1Br at a resort now and would like to get a 2Br there because of the location, relatively low MFs, it's an independent, and has a lot of free amenities for owners and plenty of weekly activities for the whole family. The free ammenities for owners only include use of bicycles, beach chairs and umbrellas, boogie boards and discounts on the different food activities they have.

Remodeling your resort will not make me want to buy there if the location, size, use time, and cost is not right for me.

If your resort is so run down that people would walk away if on a tour of the place then you might want to redo things. If it's just a matter of an update, then you would be wasting money trying to attract someone like me.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you a member of the BOD, or gathering info for them? Ultimately they make those decisions- tempered by how much money is in the 'refurbishment budget' or the tolerance of the owners for MF increases.

Amenities can be all over the map. Some people are happy with an older resort in a great location with the same old 'comfortable' lumpy furnishings and motel artwork on the walls that they're used to. You walk into your unit from the parking lot. And the associated low MFs.

Some- and these tend toward the younger, newer owners want 'Disney'. If they don't have huge flat screens in every room, stainless appliances, granite counters, separate showers, jetted tubs, strong wi-fi. manicured grounds, zero-entry 'infinity' pools (multiple), it just isn't a timeshare. There better be a concierge, golf carts to get guests to their 'villa' (a plus if they are Venetian Gondolas). I can go on, because there is no upper limit. But I won't.

It's all about the depth of the pockets.

Jim

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
After looking at your resorts web site and reading some of the news letters I have a little to add.

I see your annual meeting was this past Saturday, hope it went well.

One thing I see is that the resort is offering units to current owners but it doesn't mention prices. I'm a firm believer that you need to get HOA owned units in the hands of willing fee payers in order to keep everyone's fees down. Even if that means giving them away it should be done.

I think the resort looks very nice and if there is public access to the ocean beaches across the main street then I think it's also a great location.

The MF are relatively low so you do have some room to work with if you want to update or add amenities.

The one drawback I see for me is that the resort is pet friendly. If I were to consider buying there I would want to know that the pets are restricted to just certain units and not the one I was going to occupy.

Hope this helps a little in your search for ideas.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
the question you ask in the title of your post leads me to one of my own "What Are Folks Looking For When Buying Into a Resort?"

My question is why do you want to do any renovations in the first place? Is it to make the place more attractive to potential buyers, or is it to make the place more enjoyable for the current owners?

Ocean City has a special place in my heart. I remember sleeping on the beach when the only things north of about 40th St. were sand dunes and Bobby Baker's Carousel. and its where as a young family man I took my wife and daughter to vacation. I would love to own a summer week in OC, so for me, you wouldnt have to do much to dress the place up Id rather the mf be kept at a reasonable level. But to make sales you may want to do more

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Hard question to answer. Sort of like cars, some are happy with a hoopty, some want a Rolls, some a Fiesta, some a BMW.

My 02¢ is most are looking for location first and most of the other things come second. I would feel most are going to a place for things outside the walls of the unit. About the only things inside the walls I care about are a comfortable bed and a cable TV, preferably a flat screen.

Cheers

Antopad

TUG Member
Reaction score
As many different people post is the number of different views. But maybe that's helpful. So here is what I look for.

1) Location (you can't do much about that)
2) Points:Maintenance Fee Ratio. I won't purchase a place that is more expensive than 1 Point:1 Penny. So keep those fees as low as you can.
3) On site amenities. We have three kids (4-10 years old). We like nice pools, playgrounds, walking paths, lake features, etc.
4) Nice rooms. We love the granite/stainless steel, but if it's clean and has a well equipped kitchen, we're happy.

We do like flat screens in every room, jacuzzi tubs, etc., but I don't know that I considered the room interior much (besides general upkeep) when purchasing. Those top 3 were VERY important. And in that order.

I have several friends that have been asking about purchasing timeshares recently. They are all young families, like myself. I urge them to key in on Location and Points:MF ratio. They are mostly concerned about the grounds/onsite amenities. I have a few friends interested in Summer Bay Orlando because of their pools, water park, miniature golf, "beach area", etc. They love the pictures they are seeing. The grounds are great, rooms are fine (but not granite/stainless, below average I would say), location - meh (when I'm in Orlando I prefer to be closer to Disney (i.e. on property)), Points:MF = too expensive. I would not purchase there. My friends are still interested. And it mostly comes down to the grounds/amenities.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Antopad, Methinks you don't take into consideration that all point systems are different and none of them translate into another. Point's ain't necessarily points. For instance at Vacation Internationale, a 'normal' amount of points in a 'standard' membership that gets you a 1 BR unit in most resorts for a week in 'red' season, is 105. And the MF on that (iirc) is about $7 per point.

What you say may be pertinent to RCI points, but the person who has 157,000 Wyndham points, according to your calculation, should have a nearly $1,600/yr MF.

Not being picky here, but all generalizations are dangerous. Oops, there I go, generalizing. :)

Glad you like granite, jaccuzzi, nice grounds, lakes, location close to Disney, flat screens in every room, and low MF. Good Luck with all that.

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Location.
Cleanliness.
Unit layout.
Owner/HOA managed.
Unit size.
MF ratio.
Resort amenities.
Staff friendliness.
Several PRIME seasons.
Lockout units.
Close to major airport.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

In an unrelated and separate post, OP has recently inquired in another forum about a "timeshare renewal date" (of 2026) for his / her resort. Despite not personally knowing the MD resort at issue, it still would seem from that date that it is an older resort, likely built in or around 1986. It's generally a somewhat tough situation when an aging, oceanfront / ocean area resort begins to approach its' CCR sunset years...

I own at several different older (1980's construction) resorts myself. I won't presume to speak for anyone but myself, but I certainly don't want to get surprised with unnecessary special assessments for frivolous niceties (e.g., new granite countertops or vanities, when those items currently in place are fully functional and entirely sufficient, new hardwood floors, etc.). I want good locations, capable management, all-owner HOA independent resorts, prime seasons, ongoing and reliable maintenance funded by adequate reserves, with decent quality furnishings and functional appliances; the latter being replaced, on schedule and as needed, after serving most of their useful life. Unwarranted and unnecessary "cosmetic upgrades" to older facilities are (IMnsHO) "just placing bow a tie on a bullfrog", straining the financial reserves and inevitably resulting in future unwelcome "special assessments".

That's just me; I'm admittedly a somewhat frugal Yankee with modest facility expectations which don't include crystal chandeliers, new granite surfaces, daily maid or "turn down" service or mints on my pillow. YMMV. :shrug:

Last edited:

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Location - Won't buy another timeshare that I would never use.
Trade Value - whether it's dollars per pt., or whatever, won't buy a unit that isn't a better than average value for trading, i.e. under $12 per TPU if in RCI weeks.
Unit configuration - prefer two bedroom lockout, then two bedroom two bath, two bedroom one bath, one bedroom two bath. Anything less would have to be a tremendous trade value.
Cleanliness
Indoor/outdoor pool depending on location/season.
Widescreen t.v. and free wifi.

Your mileage may vary.

channimal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owner HOA Managed
Amenities

if all of the above are in place.. then the "bells & whistles"; in-room wireless internet, granite, flat-panel, etc.

geekette

Reaction score
In an unrelated and separate post, OP has recently inquired in another forum about a "timeshare renewal date" (of 2026) for his / her resort. Not personally knowing the MD resort at issue, it is would seem from that date that it is clearly an older resort, likely built in or around 1986. It's generally a somewhat tough situation when an aging, oceanfront / ocean area resort begins to approach its' sunset years...

I own at several different older (1980's construction) resorts myself. I can't and won't speak for anyone but myself, but I certainly don't seek or want to get whacked with unnecessary special assessments for any frivolous niceties (e.g., new granite countertops or vanities, when those items currently in place are fully functional and entirely sufficient, new hardwood floors, etc.). I want good locations, capable management, all-owner HOA independent resorts, prime seasons, ongoing and reliable maintenance funded by adequate reserves, with decent quality furnishings and functional appliances; the latter being replaced, on schedule and as needed, after serving most of their useful life. Unwarranted and unnecessary "cosmetic upgrades" to older facilities are (IMnsHO) "just placing bow ties on a bullfrog", straining the financial reserves and inevitably resulting in future unwelcome "special assessments".

That's just me; I'm admittedly a frugal Yankee with modest facility expectations which don't include crystal chandeliers, new granite surfaces, daily maid or "turn down" service or mints on my pillow. YMMV. :shrug:
+ 1

Granite countertops do not prepare my meals for me and have nothing to do with how fast or well I make food. I also would be opposed to making expensive trendy changes to an older resort.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, it's ALL about location. An older, drop-dead gorgeous location, with good, owner-controlled HOA, convenient to lots of area activities- even away from the resort- trumps granite and stainless every time.

I like to have a 'light refurb' about every 5 years or so with fresh paint, upholstery, good beds and an eye towards good maintenance (roofs, parking area, furnace-A/C, appliances)

seashelldm

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I was just curious and thinking of things that might be suggested to keep attracting renters and new owners.

It seems my resort has the important things as location, flat screen TV's, indoor and outdoor well maintained pools, jacuzzi tubs inside and a private outdoor hot tub in each unit's private courtyard. These are lock out units as well. Resort has recently been refurbed and is in good shape with good reserves. WiFi was added this year as a lot of folks wanted that to keep in touch with work.

Again, just curious.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For me, it's ALL about location. An older, drop-dead gorgeous location, with good, owner-controlled HOA, convenient to lots of area activities- even away from the resort- trumps granite and stainless every time.

I like to have a 'light refurb' about every 5 years or so with fresh paint, upholstery, good beds and an eye towards good maintenance (roofs, parking area, furnace-A/C, appliances)

Meanwhile a great location that isn't available today for new build with an HOA run by owners that take the natural cycle of use, replacement to improve the dated & worn countertops with granite, the old CRT's with flat screens and add WiFi because owners and guests want it (and it was almost unknown when the resort was built) and cover the costs with planned reserve collections is my ideal place. A resort can deteriorate or improve. It will never just stay the same. I like improvement at reasonable cost every time over newer, often isolated locations for far more money and a corporate bottom line to feed. So we pared our ownerships to two of just that type resorts.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
As an owner of an older timeshare, I'm looking for feedback of what today's timeshare buyers are looking for in a timeshare resort, especially an older resort -- i.e. amenities, interior of condo (granite, hardwood floors, furniture, entertainment systems), fees, activities (kids and adults).

A few newer owners would like to suggest modernizing and any feedback of what people are currently looking for would be helpful.

Thanks for your feedback.

In an older resort my wants are pretty basic. There's only so much you can change without skyrocketing fees.

I want living room furniture I'm not afraid to sit on (clean, not ratty looking), carpets that don't make the bottom of my socks turn black, clean functional kitchen appliances, at least one quality television and DVD player, plumbing that works well (decent shower, no leaky faucets, etc.), washer/dryer (in unit or free onsite), decent window treatments in the bedroom (in case I want to sleep in without the bright sun shining thru), comfy beds and pillows (preferably comforters with duvet covers that are washed between guests), bath towels that aren't paper-thin and don't scratch (decent fabric softener), decent bathroom lighting and wi-fi (free or reasonably priced).

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I was just curious and thinking of things that might be suggested to keep attracting renters and new owners....

You MIGHT consider that RENTORS are looking for VERY different things than an OWNER.

RENTORS want FLASH, cheap price, fancy views and multiple sleeping arrangements. They want HIGHEST season for the cheapest off season price. The tend to follow the BIG NAME brands - not HOA run resorts.

As for new owners, there are the smart owners ... the original post was ASKING that question. TUGGERs tend to be SMART owners. First time buyers buy on impulse - almost like renters.

If you are running a resort, YOUR GOAL should be to keep value for your current owners (to pay MFs and foster an sense of ownership) - happy smart owners bring their family and friends, who tend to buy or rent more of the resort's units.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I want living room furniture I'm not afraid to sit on (clean, not ratty looking), carpets that don't make the bottom of my socks turn black, clean functional kitchen appliances, at least one quality television and DVD player, plumbing that works well (decent shower, no leaky faucets, etc.), washer/dryer (in unit or free onsite), decent window treatments in the bedroom (in case I want to sleep in without the bright sun shining thru), comfy beds and pillows (preferably comforters with duvet covers that are washed between guests), bath towels that aren't paper-thin and don't scratch (decent fabric softener), decent bathroom lighting and wi-fi (free or reasonably priced).

I'll second all this; but I want free, fast wifi. Plus free parking. I can't afford to pay for these two things for two weeks. After location, I want clean and comfortable. I don't need glitz, although I do enjoy it. (I own both Hilton, which is in my glitz category, and an older clean and comfortable timeshare with a great oceanfront location.)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sort of like cars, some are happy with a hoopty, some want a Rolls, some a Fiesta, some a BMW.

Hey now... I resemble that remark. :D

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For me, it is a second home and I like the unit well- maintained, very clean, and somewhat updated (furniture, mattresses, appliances, etc.), but not excessively. I do not like glitz, but classy, tasteful and homey. I expect wi-fi, but willing to pay a small fee for it. A nice flat screen tv would be nice. Washer/dryer in the unit and decent towels. A well-stocked kitchen. I personally like a view out a nice number of windows. I like great resort amenities and conveniences, including a great pool. Location is very important, of course. And- reasonable maintenance fees.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I own different resorts for different uses/reasons - from a dog in Branson, to one of the top resorts on Maui. There just isn't one fits all answer.

Here is maybe a better question: What features would you be willing to pay a special assessment for. ;)

geekette

Reaction score
You MIGHT consider that RENTORS are looking for VERY different things than an OWNER.

RENTORS want FLASH, cheap price, fancy views and multiple sleeping arrangements. They want HIGHEST season for the cheapest off season price. The tend to follow the BIG NAME brands - not HOA run resorts.

As for new owners, there are the smart owners ... the original post was ASKING that question. TUGGERs tend to be SMART owners. First time buyers buy on impulse - almost like renters.

If you are running a resort, YOUR GOAL should be to keep value for your current owners (to pay MFs and foster an sense of ownership) - happy smart owners bring their family and friends, who tend to buy or rent more of the resort's units.

I disagree with your characterization of what renters want, how first time buyers buy, and that persons brought with owners tend to buy. I simply do not believe that any of this extrapolates to the larger population, regardless of what you have seen small scale.

Many owner are also renters. Owners don't all want the same thing, as evidenced in this thread, nor do renters. People are individuals, regardless of whether they own, rent, or both. To put people into distinct buckets labeled with characteristics and pre-defined behaviors just isn't going to work.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My top upgrade choice would be a comfortable bed.
Second would be comfortable sofa and chairs in the living room which don't require a hoist to get out of.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)