• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing Where you want to go??

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the concept of purchasing where you want to go. I've been dreaming of owning somewhere in France. When I look at Redweek, I see a lot of timeshares in France with nothing for sale or rent. Can anyone shed some light on why that is?
I'd love to own in Annecy or Nice.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There aren't that many timeshares in that area. What you see for sale (or not) reflects the limited availability. Since there are so few the prices of those that do go on sale will likely be higher than "average" for areas with more supply. Since the inventory is so limited it won't be easy to buy there, exchange into that area or rent. You are picking an area with high demand and low supply. That is the recipe for higher cost regardless of how you try to obtain it.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
It could be that the people who own these places aren't selling them or that they don't know about or use RedWeek.

I would try to expand my search.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
An alleged thought...

I understand the concept of purchasing where you want to go. I've been dreaming of owning somewhere in France. When I look at Redweek, I see a lot of timeshares in France with nothing for sale or rent. Can anyone shed some light on why that is?
I'd love to own in Annecy or Nice.

It's not exactly what you asked, but I'd nonetheless encourage you to think long and hard about buying into a timeshare ownership in Europe, unless you are quite certain that you will be able and willing to annually undertake that transoceanic travel expense. As an obligation of ownership, you have to pay maintenance fees each and every year. Do you really want to obligate yourself to annual travel costs to / within France?

When folks advise "buy where you want to go", a unspoken part of that input from many might tacitly include
"...and where you'll be able and gladly willing to absorb the annual travel costs to get there every year".
Just a thought for your consideration.

As far as RedWeek and your question, RW might very well identify each and every timeshare facility that exists in your identified area of consideration (and the rest of the world, for that matter), but U.S. based RedWeek would likely not be on the radar of a European owner looking to sell a week in France. If I wanted to sell or rent any of my USA weeks, I certainly wouldn't be advertising in France, in another language. :shrug:

Last edited:

channimal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd also factor the rent vs own aspect of a TS in Europe. I'm of a mind that, in the long run, it would be cheaper just to rent every year vs own a TS for life (maint., inevitable assessments, tax changes/charges, etc)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with buying where you want to go, but the customary TUG wisdom is that at least for a first TS, one buy where you want to go at least half or more of the time, but that it be within DRIVING DISTANCE. This is so that in the worst case scenario, if one loses their income, airfares become unusably high, a family member becomes unable to travel or any number of reasons, you can still get away for a low-cost vacation.

I don't think that would include a narrowly traded TS in Europe. Not that it wouldn't be nice (I'll take one in the Loire Valley or Burgundy, thank you), just not for annual use.

Jim

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The one draw back about owning in Europe is the high costs of air fare ?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The one draw back about owning in Europe is the high costs of air fare ?

Airfare required is a HUGE draw back for any timeshare ownership. It is another required expense that you have zero control over and cannot avoid. I would never own any timeshare, no matter where, how nice or how much we may love it if it required airfare to visit. I would try to find a points system / club that had that resort as well as some I could drive to if needed as my option. If that didn't exist we would have to pass on ownership & just trade into it or rent despite the risks & potential costs those choices also involve. At least we wouldn't be forced to pay the fees and then not be able to use it due to excessive travel expenses.