• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Park City to national parks possible?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between Old faithful Inn and OLd Faithful Lodge and cabins?

Yes- even though they are all within a stone's throw of each other. The O.F. Inn is a gigantic log structure (the world's largest) http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/old-faithful-inn-96.html The Lodge is a more modern one story hotel. The cabins are pretty rustic, basic, well, cabins http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/park_lodging/old_faithful_lodge.php

ETA Similarly, at Lake Yellowstone, there is the historic Lake Hotel, constructed and opened in the early 1900's with it's Arts & Crafts details added in the 20's. Then there is the Lake Lodge and Cabins which though nearby, are newer and don't have the cache' of the old hotel. It isn't priced the same either. http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lake-lodge-cabins-87.html

Jim

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What Jim said. They are different, and of the three, Old Faithful Inn is the most historic. Given the option, maybe stay in OF Inn or Lodge or even the cabins one night (the first night you get to Yellowstone?), and stay in West Yellowstone the other two nights.

On departure day, presuming you need to hightail it to Salt Lake City, the drive is easier if you leave from outside the park. West Yellowstone is essentially on the road you'd take heading back South. You do not need to drive South through the parks to get back to SLC, so your return will be pretty direct.

If you can't stay inside the park, at least spend a bit of time inside OF Inn. Maybe have dinner or breakfast there in the main restaurant. Walk around inside it, and soak up the ambiance. It's a great experience.

Glad to be of help. I really enjoy visiting that area, and really like helping others to make the most of their time there.

Dave

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way we did it. We had Park City at the end of our trip and did a couple of days in Grand Canyon and then a couple of days in Bryce Canyon (which I personally liked better than Grand) and then drove to Park City.
If I was doing it I would probably leave Park City early morning and get to Bryce or Zion by mid day. Explore Bryce or Zion for the day-stay overnight there one night and then drive back to Park City

swaits

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way we did it. We had Park City at the end of our trip and did a couple of days in Grand Canyon and then a couple of days in Bryce Canyon (which I personally liked better than Grand) and then drove to Park City.
If I was doing it I would probably leave Park City early morning and get to Bryce or Zion by mid day. Explore Bryce or Zion for the day-stay overnight there one night and then drive back to Park City

A few notes about these spots, some of my favorite places in the world.

To really enjoy the Canyon requires, in my opinion, a significant amount of hiking.

I agree on Bryce and Zion. Amazing places. There's a good portion of the year that I'd avoid "mid day" there though. :)

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Old Faithful Inn

I got some rooms at Old Faithful Inn for 3 nights. Not exactly the room type or number of beds I need. I got West Wing, Frontside (nor East Wing Geyser) but everyone really suggested we stay there so I grabbed 3 days. So this is what the trip looks like now. Day 1-7, Park City. Day 8, Grand Teton (Jackson Lake Lodge). Looks like I'll cancel Jackson Hole for that night. Day 9,10 and 11, Old Faithful Inn. Then, depending upon return flights, head back to SLC for return trip or stay for one night (day 12) at West Yellowstone. How does this sound?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you'll enjoy it a lot. That will make a great add-on to your Park City trip.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sounds good, but you may want to stay your last night in West Yellowstone, if only to save the time it takes to drive out of the park on check-out day.

The park is bigger than it seems. Enjoy your trip!

Dave

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Safti,

You have made two excellent choices, Jackson Lake Lodge and Old Faithful Inn. IMO you have the two best choices available. Jackson lake Lodge is really neat. I will never forget the time we stayed there and my daughters wanted to go see a moose. Which is a common siting in that area. Not expecting to find one we got in the mini van and drove about 100 feet and a huge moose was walking through the parking lot right at the Lodge. Lots of great memories from that trip.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Safti,
I've read with interest your plan and thought I'd offer some input. From my Signature below, you can click on Week Two for extensive notes and pictures of YSP that may prove beneficial... maybe some tidbits of what to expect. The mileages and time-frames may curb some anxiety.

If you want more input, ask away.

We found it fairly easy to get around. We didn't hike but to get a closer look at the sites. We waited long for Ole Faithful and didn't know at the time of many other geysers in the area. This cost us an overnight stay, as you can read about.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We waited long for Ole Faithful and didn't know at the time of many other geysers in the area.

You couldn't have waited too long. Old Faithful erupts every hour and a half and the times are posted until the next eruption near the boardwalk and inside the O.F. Inn.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Safti,
I've read with interest your plan and thought I'd offer some input. From my Signature below, you can click on Week Two for extensive notes and pictures of YSP that may prove beneficial... maybe some tidbits of what to expect. The mileages and time-frames may curb some anxiety.

If you want more input, ask away.

We found it fairly easy to get around. We didn't hike but to get a closer look at the sites. We waited long for Ole Faithful and didn't know at the time of many other geysers in the area. This cost us an overnight stay, as you can read about.

Thanks RDB. Still doing homework on the area and I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dilly-dallying

Dilly-dallying cost us 80 miles and an extra night lodging plus food.

We arrived at Ole Faithful as it ceased. Caught the glimpse as we circled the parking lot. In the time we waited, we could have taken in other geysers, had we only known where.

By the time we took in canyon views we were running out of day. We did not climb to the heights necessary to capture whole-canyon photos. http://picasaweb.google.com/RESORT2ME/YellowstoneGrandCanyon

Yellowstone is a marvel. Definitely a place not to be missed.

Leaving the falls, we drove north on Grand Loop. Ran out of photo-taking daylight as we neared Mammoth. Went on up 40 miles to Gardiner, MT for lodging. (Read more in the Week Two write up.)

The next day, backtracked to Mammoth Hot Springs. Normally I would say “What a waste to backtrack.” I’m glad we took the time though. Here are a few shots. http://picasaweb.google.com/RESORT2ME/MammothHotSprings

We departed Yellowstone via the northeast gate at Gardiner and continued toward Glacier National Park.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
The wildlife in Yellowstone however had pretty much left the main tourist areas and gone higher. We saw very few elk, and just a few small bands of bison. The trout were only feeding very early mornings, but with an early start you could catch a few.

The weather is forecast to cool some in time for your arrival, so as to not shock your system too badly. Safe travels and enjoy your stay.

Jim

Jim,

We've finished our Teton and Yellowstone part of the trip and Park City beckons tomorrow but I just wanted to report some amazing sights over the last couple of days. We've seen plenty of moose and bison but also pulled over and watched a lone wolf checking out an injured, probably dying bison, and also got within 100 ft of a young grizzly this morning, amazing memories that will stay with us and the kids forever. The parks have been incredible, the weather perfect and we will certainly be returning, oh and Driggs is a great little place, love it!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

We've finished our Teton and Yellowstone part of the trip and Park City beckons tomorrow but I just wanted to report some amazing sights over the last couple of days. We've seen plenty of moose and bison but also pulled over and watched a lone wolf checking out an injured, probably dying bison, and also got within 100 ft of a young grizzly this morning, amazing memories that will stay with us and the kids forever. The parks have been incredible, the weather perfect and we will certainly be returning, oh and Driggs is a great little place, love it!

So happy you enjoyed our little corner of the world. It's a sort of magical place that grows on you. Nice to know that a place like that will always exist. Come on back anytime. You'll enjoy Park City too, but in a different way. The DW might be more in her element from what I've gathered.

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
So happy you enjoyed our little corner of the world. It's a sort of magical place that grows on you. Nice to know that a place like that will always exist. Come on back anytime. You'll enjoy Park City too, but in a different way. The DW might be more in her element from what I've gathered.

Jim

Thanks Jim, we will be back, considering our options already particularly as we didn't have the time to do the upper loop. Surprisingly my wife really liked Driggs and I liked the way that nobody has to lock their bikes up!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked the way that nobody has to lock their bikes up!

Heck, I NEVER lock my pickup and frequently leave the keys in it. Yeah, crime is a bit less concern in the smaller towns out here. Everyone knows everyone else's business and if a kid gets in the wrong track, the whole community tries to steer them right. Unfortunately there is an element of methamphetamine use in the bigger communities that seems impossible to get under control. They aren't interested in bicycles.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
More Questions....

Back again with more questions on our upcoming trip. Begins July 5. Here goes....
July 5-11: Park City, Marriott Mountainside
July 11: Idaho Falls (one night only. Want to be ready to enter Tetons the next morning.
July 12-14: Jackson Lake Lodge. Spend two days hiking, etc. Leave afternoon of July 14.
July 14: Old Faithful Inn. Explore south and west part of YNP.
July 15-17: Gardiner. Couldn't get accommodations at Mammoth.
July 17: Wort hotel, Jackson Hole
July 18: Fly out of JAC-YYZ
Here are my questions. We could leave Tetons after only one day (actually a half day) and go to OF Inn on July 13. I have it booked but was advised to spend more than a half day in Tetons. Thoughts? Also, I am currently booked at OF Inn for four nights, July 13,14,15,16 and then drive to Jackson Hole for July 17. I was advised not to stay at OF for all those nights but to head up toward Mammoth for a night and then to Canyon for a night. I couldn't get anything at Canyon but I've booked the Travelodge in Gardiner for two nights instead. We will have to get from Gardiner back to Jackson Hole on July 17. How far a drive is this? Also, some people advised taking Bear Point Hwy. in stead of driving in the park. We are travelling with our two active 20 somethings. Sorry about the lengthy post but am a bit confused here. Thanks.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
The Jackson Lake Lodge is a wonderful place. I would go with you original plan.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Jackson Lake Lodge is a wonderful place. I would go with you original plan.

Sorry, don't understand. Original plan was only one day at Jackson Lake Lodge. Should we stay two nights? Any thoughts on moving out of OF Inn after one day and moving up toward Mammoth and staying outside of the park in Gardiner instead of 3 nights at OF Inn?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Safti, it looks like a lot of packing/unpacking- or just living out of suitcases after your PC week, but you'll see lot for sure. I think your plan looks fine. The area is not so spread out that you can't backtrack or stay a little more in one area or the other that interests you.

You'll have a memorable trip. Enjoy!

Jim

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Sorry, don't understand.

Sorry to confuse you. I like the two nights in Jackson Lake Lodge in your revised plan you posted in the last day. If it was me I would drive direct from Park City to Jackson Lake Lodge. You can stop in Jackson Hole and have lunch. I would add that extra night at either another at Jackson Lake or in Yellowstone.

I dont recall seeing how many are traveling in your party. That could make a difference and what really interests you.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 4 of us travelling. 2 adults and 2 20 something kids. Very active. Just don't know if I should stay 3 full nights in OF Inn as I have already booked or just one night and then up to Gardiner for 2 nights and do the north part of the park. Also, any opinions on Bear Park Hwy at the end of the trip? Have to end up in Jackson Hole on the 17th.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Safti, it looks like a lot of packing/unpacking- or just living out of suitcases after your PC week, but you'll see lot for sure. I think your plan looks fine. The area is not so spread out that you can't backtrack or stay a little more in one area or the other that interests you.

You'll have a memorable trip. Enjoy!

Jim

Hey Jim,
I sent you a PM. Have a look.