• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

cancelling / rebooking

brigian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know there's other threads on cancelling and rebooking but thought I would share my experience and get thoughts from some of the pro's.

I was going to book an August vacation but I was 8000 points short but it wouldn't let me borrow or even rent. So I recall reading threads on a little trick of booking and cancelling so I booked a May reservation and borrowed from next year then immediately cancelled and went to rebook my August vacation thinking the points would all be there. Again, when I went to book it stated you do not have enough points to book and you may not borrow or rent until 90 days in. I figured the system has to update overnight and i'll have to do it tomorrow but would now cost me another Rt. So I took my chance and called in my reservation and she took it and booked it on the spot no questions asked.

I have done this before and didn't have the same problem I booked , cancelled and booked at the same time. Is the system changing or did I just have bad timing ??

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did the cancel and borrow thing yesterday w/o issue. Needed points for a July reservation.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
OP, what is your use year? That may have affected your transaction / points availability. The canceled points are supposed to return to the use year of the reservation. It doesn't always work correctly (and takes a call to get it straightened out).

Explorer7

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know there's other threads on cancelling and rebooking but thought I would share my experience and get thoughts from some of the pro's.

I was going to book an August vacation but I was 8000 points short but it wouldn't let me borrow or even rent. So I recall reading threads on a little trick of booking and cancelling so I booked a May reservation and borrowed from next year then immediately cancelled and went to rebook my August vacation thinking the points would all be there. Again, when I went to book it stated you do not have enough points to book and you may not borrow or rent until 90 days in. I figured the system has to update overnight and i'll have to do it tomorrow but would now cost me another Rt. So I took my chance and called in my reservation and she took it and booked it on the spot no questions asked.

I have done this before and didn't have the same problem I booked , cancelled and booked at the same time. Is the system changing or did I just have bad timing ??

I've had both scenario's happen to me this year.

Explorer7

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible Wyndham is trying to correct a mistake and extend the life of cancelled points

In my case I haven't seen any rhyme or reason to it, within a few days and even in the same day I've had borrowed points go both ways over the past few years. At least now based on the recent threads if I need the points to come back to the current use year I'll call a VC and press the issue using the reference in the directory.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Yes, there are definitely glitches in the glitches. I see inconsistent behavior with cancelled points and the use year they are credited to. With your Jan 1 use year, it sounds like what you did should have worked. One thing that can be frustrating is to do that when the call center is closed and not be able to book what you need. I am glad you were able to work it out.

lcml11

Reaction score
Is it possible Wyndham is trying to correct a mistake and extend the life of cancelled points

More likely that the change in use year dates did not directly affect this issue. Being inconsist was known to happen under the pre-change system also. There may be some additional instability on this point as a result of the changes in the use year dates.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. The Directory is clear on this point. See page 279:

"If you need to cancel a reservation using Borrowed Points, the points will be returned to your account as Cancelled Reservation Points in the Use Year of the reservation. In other words, they will not be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from."

One thing that can be frustrating is to do that when the call center is closed and not be able to book what you need.
When I'm doing one of these multi-step transactions, I try to do them early in the day, in case something goes wrong. That gives me a larger window to get it fixed.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wishing to cancel and re-book to save points

W. Smokey Mountains right now shows No Availability, not for 7 or 3 nor even 2 days.

I have 5 nights reserved for 16 June and even though I have points-a-plenty, I wish to conserve.

Do I need to phone-in so as to not lose my booking? I sure don't wish to chance it that someone would grab it up while I gamble.

Will I be charged for the call-in?

Any inside experience?

Robert

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
W. Smokey Mountains right now shows No Availability, not for 7 or 3 nor even 2 days.

I have 5 nights reserved for 16 June and even though I have points-a-plenty, I wish to conserve.

Do I need to phone-in so as to not lose my booking? I sure don't wish to chance it that someone would grab it up while I gamble.

Will I be charged for the call-in?

Any inside experience?

Robert

It will cost you 1 RT (Reservation Transaction). Plus calling in will not prevent the possibility of loosing the reservation. When the VC cancels the reservation it might picked up buy someone watching.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is NOT any availability for ANYTHING, I would not try to save a few points ---IMH(experienced)O.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I sure don't wish to chance it that someone would grab it up while I gamble.

If there's nothing else available, that's exactly what you are doing.

I also don't see anything listed on the resort specials page indicating that there is any kind of discount for that week, so why do you think you would be saving points?

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
If there's nothing else available, ....., so why do you think you would be saving points?

When booking within 45 days of ck-in, there's supposed to be a points discount.

Also, if available an upgrade (although right now I see no 3BR for 16 June).

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I have never cancelled and rebooked at Wyndham Smokey Mountains when there wasn't anything available, I was fortunate there were other rooms at the time I cancelled and rebooked my rooms.

What level of membership do you have? Make sure you are actually saving something by cancelling and rebooking (if you choose to do so).

You do not have to cancel and rebook to get an upgrade (if you are a VIP - VIP is what is needed to upgrade). If you are VIP and it's available, you can upgrade 1 time.

I'm guessing you are a silver VIP, that would get you discounts and upgrades. You might want to call a vacation counselor and ask before you do anything. It doesn't cost you anything to call and ask, then you can decide if you want to do it yourself or not.

There are so many different types of memberships. More details on what specifically you own is needed before anyone can give accurate advice (for RT's, housekeeping, discount points, and/or upgrades). It all depends.

If you don't want to risk losing your reservation, keep watching for cancellations. Things often pop up about 3 weeks before checkin. You could wait til you see a back up before you cancel something you can't afford to lose.

Good luck!

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
... What level of membership do you have? Make sure you are actually saving something by cancelling and rebooking ...
I'm guessing you are a silver VIP, that would get you discounts and upgrades. ...
There are so many different types of memberships. More details on what specifically you own is needed before anyone can give accurate advice (for RT's, housekeeping, discount points, and/or upgrades). It all depends.

... Good luck!

VIP BENEFITS AT A GLANCE
What is it?
Be sure to take full advantage of the exclusive benefits and enhanced service you receive as a CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus VIP. Refer to the VIP chart shown below for a complete listing and description of your benefits.

Exclusive Vacation Planning Benefits
CLUB WYNDHAM Silver Owner 400,000 - 699,999 Points - 25%
CLUB WYNDHAM Gold Owner 700,000 - 999,999 Points - 35%
CLUB WYNDHAM Platinum Owner 1,000,000 Points or More - 50%

Points Discounts (within 60 Days of Check-in) on new reservations only at CLUB WYNDHAM Plus, Affiliates and Associate locations.