• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smugglers' Notch

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
What differences might I find in Wyndham Smugglers' Notch and Mountain Estates at Smugglers' Notch?

Thinking of going to that area for leaf color in September. What are the Do and See items?

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also find Wyndham Smugglers Notch has 3BR units in mid-September for 90k points where as 3BR deluxe are 150K? Anyone know what the big differences are?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
What differences might I find in Wyndham Smugglers' Notch and Mountain Estates at Smugglers' Notch?

Thinking of going to that area for leaf color in September. What are the Do and See items?

The Mountain Estates are the newer, higher end units at Smuggs. They include the Eagles and Kestrels (North Hill)and Falcons(West Hill) buildings. The owners of those units are what they call "Family Share" (meaning they own a third of a year) or "Equi Share" owners(meaning they own a half a year). Also, on the higher end (Upscale) are the "Owls" buildings, also in the North Hill area, some of which are still being built.''

Other newer, buildings that are not in the Mountain Estates are the Tamaracks on North Hill and the Sycamores on West Hill and the Aspens in the Highland area. The Sycamores are pretty much identical to the Falcons, but the Falcons has a hot tub for the building. The Falcons shares it's pool and club house with the Sycamores.

The Tamaracks and Kestrels and Eagles are in the North Hill and share an indoor/outdoor pool area, hot tubs and clubhouse. The Kestrels have an attached screened-in gazebo for each unit.

Also on the property are older units (most named after trees- like Oaks, for ex.)- and some units that are full ownership. There are so-called "public" pools on the property for those buildings that do not have their own "community" pools- Courtside, Mountainside and Notchville park, as well as Rum Runners Reservoir.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In September, most of the resort activities stop, although they do have some things going on. We have owned there for 15 years, so we have done and seen a lot! (I am also a member of the VT 251 club, so I have so far been to at least 90 towns in the state!). It all depends what you enjoy doing - if you have children with you, etc. but I would say to visit the town of Stowe. You can also visit the Von Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music Family) there. Depending what week you are there, the Stowe theater Guild performs 9/25-10/12. Great local theater! Fabulous restaurants in Stowe as well. Every time we go up, we bike on the recreational path in Stowe. Very scenic! Love it! You can, of course, walk it, as well.

Also recommend driving up the toll road up to the summit of Mount Mansfield. You can also take a gondola up for dinner at a restaurant up top (reservations required-gondola is the only way to reach the restaurant!) Of course, as I did years ago- you can hike to the summit- an all day excursion and very challenging.

There is the Boyden Valley winery nearby. There is canoeing/kayaking/fishing/waterfalls/minigolf/golf courses in area.

Then there is Burlington- about an hour away- and the Lake Champlain waterfront- and Church Street for shopping and dining- no cars-only pedestrians..You can take a tour boat out onto the lake and there is also a recreation path along the lake.

Montreal is only about an hour and a half away and the resort has a day excursion there is you don't want to drive up there on your own. There's a lot to see and do up there- just have to seek things out. Anything you want to know, just ask me.( I own in the Sycamores building.) The only thing I don't know about is Wyndham points, as I am a long time weeks owner. There is a lot of info on the web site. Click on real estate and then "EquiShare" or "Family Share" and you can see the layouts of those buildings, etc. Also-"Plan your vacation" and "week at a glance" and under "activities and amenities" and click on "surrounding area and events". Enjoy!

Last edited:

MFT

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lower points are probably the older buildings down near the village section of Smugglers, such as Oaks. The units are a little lacking, but comfortable. And they are close to walk over to the restaurants, etc...

As mpumilia stated, you are close to Burlington, which is just a great small city to visit. It's a major college town, so lots of shops, restaurants, and of course pubs. Driving up through the notch to Stowe is an amazing drive, and Stowe is a great tourist town with lots to see. Head down towards Waterbury to check out Ben and Jerry's factory (you have to do the tour!).

Get used to the windy roads... Lots of twists and turns! But if you want to take a nice day trip, head on over to the NEK (Northeast Kingdom) area that is basically from the Quebec border up near Newport, VT, on down to St Johnsbury. One hidden gem is Lake Willoughby, which is just beautiful. The lake though may be getting cold by September, but there's some nice hiking areas on the local mountains.

If in the Newport area, go to the Eastside Restaurant, which is right on Lake Memphemagog. You will be looking up the lake at Owl's Head Mountain, which is in Quebec. Just beautiful area.

Montreal is a great trip also, especially "Old Montreal" area. This is the historic old section of the city with some great shops and restaurants, right on the St Laurence Seaway. Travel time to MTL is more like 2+ hours from Smugglers, considering having to cross the border (don't forget your passport or passport card...).

In the Morrisville area is the Rock Art Brewery, and they give tours. A funky small brewer, and excellent beer!

Shelburne Museum is just south of Burlington, and is amazing! They have lots of buildings that were moved to the site including a light house, church, store, blacksmith shop, etc... But the big attraction is the Steamboat Ticonderoga! We love visiting every few years. http://shelburnemuseum.org/

Now, the little village of Jefferson has a few nice restaurants also, and we love the grocery store there. And across 105 is a great bakery.

Have fun!

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! Thanks.

That all is very interesting.

Are Wyndham Smugglers' Notch and Mountain Estates at Smugglers' Notch actually two separate resorts. Are both Wyndham resorts?

Does booking through Wyndham Vacation Club, with points, gaurentee which resort; which building, floor or view? Which are more desirable?

We would like to ck-in on Sunday with a check out on Friday morning. Does doing so eliminate certain availability?

cassvilleokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Hawaii fixed weeks and Points, Wyndham Points, Marriott, Mass, Holiday Inn (previous Silverleaf) Worldmark, Vista Mirage, Shell Hawaii collection, Star Island, Orange Lake, KBC, Fractional and Full.
They are all one resort, the Owls and tamaracks buildings are the ones you want to stay in. Fall time is slow so points are usually discounted and easy to get into. Go to smuggs.com and use their info bar for activities on and around the resort. The notch closes in late oct./nov. timeframe so don't wait too late makes for a long trip around the mountain.

Several tours for fall color and the montreal trip is a nice addition as well.

Have done summer, fall, and winter there awesome spot.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That all is very interesting.

Are Wyndham Smugglers' Notch and Mountain Estates at Smugglers' Notch actually two separate resorts. Are both Wyndham resorts?

Does booking through Wyndham Vacation Club, with points, gaurentee which resort; which building, floor or view? Which are more desirable?

We would like to ck-in on Sunday with a check out on Friday morning. Does doing so eliminate certain availability?

Can't swear on it, but I think Tamaracks are a Friday check-in. Don't know about Owls- Sycamores/Aspens are Sunday. Eagles and Kestrels are a bit more "upscale" than Tamaracks- but right in North Hill area as well. You can't go wrong with any of them.......very beautiful and the newest at the resort. Same with the Aspens/Trailside Highlands and Sycamores/Falcons units- very nice and only slightly older. Aspens/Sycamores/Falcons pools are outside, but heated. As I stated, North Hills pool is indoor/outdoor with hot tubs. Falcons have a hot tub in their building. Club houses have small gyms, etc., game rooms, etc. Mountain Laurels is older, but nice, too. They have a very small pool (it's a small building) and it is actually the only salt water pool at the resort. It is outside, but not sure if it is opened in Sept.

FYI- North Hill is a bit removed from the main campus of the resort. West Hill is as well, though not as much. You have to drive to the main campus (don't remember if shuttles run in Sept.. You can rent a golf cart) But- being it is off season, with limited activities, that might not matter as you probably will leave the resort a lot for day excursions.

MFT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed in both Oaks and Tamaracks, and did both with Sat check-in. These units are older buildings with more traditional 1 floor units. The new units I believe are multi-floor (like a townhouse set-up), with bedrooms upstairs (please correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never stayed in them). Because my wife has knee issues, we requested a single floor set-up in a building with an elevator, and that's Oaks or Tamaracks. The downside is that these units (from what we've been told), are not as plushy as the newer units. Remember, this is a ski resort, so the older units near the lifts, have entrances and floors made for families traipsing through with ski-boots on!

Also, check the Vermont tourism websites for when foliage will be just pre-peak, as early Sept, the leaves are not really turning yet. You are looking at later Sept, early Oct.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've stayed in both Oaks and Tamaracks, and did both with Sat check-in. These units are older buildings with more traditional 1 floor units. The new units I believe are multi-floor (like a townhouse set-up), with bedrooms upstairs (please correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never stayed in them). Because my wife has knee issues, we requested a single floor set-up in a building with an elevator, and that's Oaks or Tamaracks. The downside is that these units (from what we've been told), are not as plushy as the newer units. Remember, this is a ski resort, so the older units near the lifts, have entrances and floors made for families traipsing through with ski-boots on!

Also, check the Vermont tourism websites for when foliage will be just pre-peak, as early Sept, the leaves are not really turning yet. You are looking at later Sept, early Oct.

The Oaks are older units, but the Tamaracks are brand new! The Tamaracks are ONE FLOOR and Friday check in. No elevators in Tamaracks. Oaks does have an elevator.Oaks is also located in the Smuggs village itself and Tamaracks are in North Hill, where the Owls are also located..

Correct about the leaves- best time is the end of Sept. and beginning of Oct.

MFT

TUG Member
Reaction score
My error. I meant Evergreen. Basically the same set-up as Oaks.