• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Moving to Florida, where?

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm quite sure this post will bring up many different thoughts, when I ask transplanted friends, their area is the best no matter where it is. I have visited southern Florida for 40+ years, got married in the keys and still own 2 weeks of ts in Islamorada, can't afford a nice house there so that's out. Love the southwest coast, my realtor friend from NY said it's "buggy" there and the beaches stink (guess he never went to Sanibel). FIL lives in Jupiter, I like it but not sure I want to be that close to him but up the road a piece is Vero, hmmmm. Any ideas where south of the big lake, I only want 2 seasons, friends live in St Aug and it gets cold there. East or west coast? And on the east coast from Vero beach south.

Last edited:

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend the west coast..near Bradenton, Sarasota and Tampa...where I live. Anna Maria Island just was voted by TripAdvisor the 4th best beach in the country. Bradenton is affordable, lots of beaches with free parking, close to Sarasota for theater, arts, etc and near Tampa for airport, etc. We lived in Bradenton from 1991-1996, moved to Punta Gorda to try boating...lived there til 2005, moved to Hilton Head area, SC 2005-2009 and then we're back in Bradenton, FL. Still loving it...lots of beach access, restaurants, medical facilities, public transportation, shopping close by, etc. Try us, you'll like us.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I'm quite sure this post will bring up many different thoughts, when I ask transplanted friends, their area is the best no matter where it is. I have visited southern Florida for 40+ years, got married in the keys and still own 2 weeks of ts in Islamorada, can't afford a nice house there so that's out. Love the southwest coast, my realtor friend from NY said it's "buggy" there and the beaches stink (guess he never went to Sanibel). FIL lives in Jupiter, I like it but not sure I want to be that close to him but up the road a piece is Vero, hmmmm. Any ideas where south of the big lake, I only want 2 seasons, friends live in St Aug and it gets cold there. East or west coast? And on the east coast from Vero beach south.

Sanibel can indeed be buggy and have stinky beaches when it's red tide time.
This last year has been particularly bad on the west coast but it's not all the time. Now the bugs, they come every year. The no-see-ums & mosquitoes in SW Florida can be horrendous as they can also be in the Keys. Actually they can get pretty bad everywhere in FL to be honest. LOL:hysterical:

I suggest you check out Sebastian.
http://www.cityofsebastian.org/
http://www.sebastianretirement.com/
It's got some nice lakes that lead to the ocean/intracoastal and the prices aren't as high as the west coast. It's just north of the more expensive Vero beach area. Sebastian has a Keys feel to it. Very laid back, casual.
Sebastian is just north of the Disney vero beach resort. You could trade in and see if you like the area. It's not far at all from Disney vero.

I live in Miami and unless you are looking for crowds & excitement you might not like Miami. It's not for everyone.

Another area you might like is Port St. Lucie. There are some real bargains right now in that area due to the economy & lack of jobs. Lots of new housing foreclosures to choose from. Tradition is a nice community. It's a planned community.
http://www.traditionfl.com/
Lots of golf courses in this area.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I always liked west palm beach myself!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
South of Sarasota is where you want to be.. Thers a climatic line about there abd south of it is semi-tropical

Go to the East Coast for the big city experience......Go to the West Coast for smaller towns

Bugs??? Welcome to Florida, but look for an area that is well drained and has a little elevation...I lived in one area that was about 1 foot above sea level and was near a tidal marsh...The water had no place to go when it rained. Standing water after every rain and lots of mosquitos and no-see- ums ....I moved to Cape Coral (100 square miles with 400 miles of canals..When it rains the water runs off to the canals and there is no standing water and almost no mosquitos

There are micro environments here

I wouldnt worry about the beaches. There are lots of good beach days on the SouthWest Coast. and there are indeed some bad days like your friend describes..Just dont go to the Beach on those days...With the exception of my first year here I dont think Ive been to the beach more than 10 times in 17 years.

L

laurac260

you forgot to mention the love bugs. :ignore:

We lived in the North Tampa area for 3.5 years. I don't miss it a bit. The people were rude (mostly the NY/NJ'ers), so many people from everywhere BUT there, so no one seemed to have a sense of community, but more of a "let me get mine" mentality, folks drove like crazy people, the bugs..too many, the humidity, went on way too long, the beaches were nice, but if you cannot afford to live on or near one you'll rarely go. And, insurance is outrageous, car and homeowners.

The winters were nice, except when it dropped down to the 40's, and left you scratching your head thinking "I could've stayed in OH for this."

Honestly, if I ever moved to a coast again for palm trees, sandy beaches and temperate weather, it would be SC, NOT FL!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
youll find unlimited neighborhoods that provide waterfront (ranging from huge lakes and rivers, to manmade "ponds") to appease your need for the view of the water every morning....all for a fraction of the cost of buying oceanfront!

I personally prefer fresh to salt anyway!

Just remember if you are house hunting, check for flood prone areas. youd be amazed at how cheap houses can go for in these areas...merely because your homeowners insurance flood protection is likely more than the mortgage =)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just remember if you are house hunting, check for flood prone areas. youd be amazed at how cheap houses can go for in these areas

A good point. My Daughter lives in Galveston, TX in a moderately priced home approximately 6 blocks from both the ocean and the bay. I think her annual flood insurance premium is just South of $3,000.

George

Last edited:

silverfox82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. My wife had some legal issues concerning the partition of a property she inherited years ago but it looks like it will be resolved soon and we will then be able to move. For the last 7-8 years we have visited the entire coast of Florida, liked most of it but always found some problems like the panhandle is too cold in the winter, too many storms in season. St Aug is too cold and too touristy, Keys too expensive likewise Pine Island and Sanibel. Almost decided on Port Charlotte when this bug thing came up. I'm liking the Sebastion, Port St Lucie, Vero Beach idea a lot. Thanks again.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next time your down here check out our little town of Greenacres. Its only 10 miles from PBI airport and 15 miles from the beach. We are south of Jupiter and north of Boca Raton. Lots of seniors, and lower than the usual Florida taxes. We are close to hospitals, shopping and restaurants.

Even though you have been visiting Florida for years it's a whole lot different living here year round. I would suggest you rent for a year in an area you find that you really like before buying. You may find that you can't live with the bugs and ants or the people. I would hate for you to buy a place, find out you hate it here and be locked into it. We are Oregon transplants who do love it down here.

Suzanne

rhodium1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to live in Vero Beach

I lived in Vero Beach for a number of years before moving to Louisiana (UGH!) and then to Tennessee (much better :) ). We lived in Vero Lake Estates, which is essentially Sebastian and also in Pointe West in Vero proper. Loved it there but work took us elsewhere. I would move back in a heartbeat if the right job was there. If you have questions about the area feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your search!

silverfox82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the renting advise, it makes wonderful sense. My wife and I have spent our entire lives feet from the Atlantic ocean so being within a mile or 2 of salt water will be primary. We visit a friend in Holly Hills a few times a year, he is a short drive to the beach at Daytona and that distance works but no farther than that, just not Daytona though, that place is nuts!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next time your down here check out our little town of Greenacres. Its only 10 miles from PBI airport and 15 miles from the beach. We are south of Jupiter and north of Boca Raton. Lots of seniors, and lower than the usual Florida taxes. We are close to hospitals, shopping and restaurants.

Sounds like my kind of place.

George

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the renting advise, it makes wonderful sense. My wife and I have spent our entire lives feet from the Atlantic ocean so being within a mile or 2 of salt water will be primary. We visit a friend in Holly Hills a few times a year, he is a short drive to the beach at Daytona and that distance works but no farther than that, just not Daytona though, that place is nuts!

Holly Hills is where the Girl's Reformatory School was located while I lived in DeLand. :ignore:

DeLand was a very nice college town (back then).

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're moving to Venice, bought it sight unseen. Been there three times now. Its south of Sarasota. We have lots of friends that live there. People seem nice. Here in MD, we have stink bugs galore. FL bugs can't be worse.

We are 15 minutes from the beach in a multi-age development that people seem to love. Doesn't quite feel like God's waiting room.

I figure I can always sell or rent it if it doesn't work out. I need to be away from cold and have a turn-key place I can just leave, so I can travel more.

Gramma5

TUG Member
Reaction score
West Coast is best! IMHO

We live south of Venice and love the area! Have lived in several areas of Fl. And prefer this. Yes we have some bugs but who in Fl. doesn't? The Gulf is much warmer than the Atlantic and I have been able to swim several times this winter! I grew up at the Jersey shore and love just being 10 minutes from the beach. We do not live here mid-May to late Sept. so miss much of the heat and humidity. Englewood housing market is still very depressed so there are lots of homes and condos that are reasonable. 100,000-200,000 ( or less in some areas) we also are in a semi-arid area so have not had a hurricane here in 50 yrs! also has to do with the barrier islands off the coast.
It is worth looking at if you decide the west coast.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think for various reasons, everyone has their own preference where to live in Florida. I'd visit, drive around. I used to recommend a book, Where to Retire in Florida (or something like that), but I'm not even sure it still exists or is current.

Nancy

ps. I live in a neat little town called Dunedin, on the gulf coast.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is even a nice little timeshare owners group in Venice, they meet a few times a year and invite me to speak from time to time!

http://tsownersgroup.com/

many of them are TUGGERS as well.

silverfox82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my wifes sister is the defendant in the partition suit and she lives in Venice. Like the area, Sharkeys is a great watering hole, but no can do! We have a bunch of NY transplants from our little beach town in NY that have made Port Charlotte/Northport home so that was the #1 choice before we were told about the "west coast being buggy" and my wife is spooked. She gets a skeeter bite and it lasts for a week or more. I think we will put an II trade request for sept for any property, West Palm up to Vero, and decide then. We have weeks 47-48 in Islamorada so can finalize then with an overnight up the turnpike (or chicken out) and move down after the new year. Sounds like a plan.

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI....about 5 years ago we visited Stuart Florida, Hutchinson Island. We fell in love with the area until I had over 100 bites all over me (and my husband had none). I was told it was No See Ums....I was miserable. So it can happen on the East Coast as well.

We just went to Sarasota (first time on the West Coast) and we both love it more than the East Coast - calmer water and lots of other reasons. We will surely go back to Sarasota in a heartbeat! I'll just take plenty of bug spray and hope for the best!!

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Unfortunately, my wifes sister is the defendant in the partition suit and she lives in Venice. Like the area, Sharkeys is a great watering hole, but no can do! We have a bunch of NY transplants from our little beach town in NY that have made Port Charlotte/Northport home so that was the #1 choice before we were told about the "west coast being buggy" and my wife is spooked. She gets a skeeter bite and it lasts for a week or more. I think we will put an II trade request for sept for any property, West Palm up to Vero, and decide then. We have weeks 47-48 in Islamorada so can finalize then with an overnight up the turnpike (or chicken out) and move down after the new year. Sounds like a plan.

There is a timeshare in Sebastian I believe it's Oyster Pointe or Oyster Place.
Faces the waterfront but not on the beach. There are alot of cute houses around that area that looked affordable. A few little Key's style bars along the water too. It's a short jaunt just over the bridge to the Disney resort.
I'm going to check it out cause it looks like a great little place to take the boat.

silverfox82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did a swap to The Reef Ocean Resort in Vero for the end of August, car and air locked in also. I see many single family homes in our price range so hopefully this was (is) our last winter in NY. Thanks everyone for your input.

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have lived in North Port for 7 years and we love it .:banana: small town feel . 15 minutes to englewood beach , 25 to Venice , and 35 to Siesta key .

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silver Fox. You are from Point Lookout in NY. If you would like to feel familiarity and comfort with people who look, sound and think like you, then the East Coast it is! It is mostly LI'ers and Jersey-ites. Check out Jensen Beach, Delray and Boyton Beach. Good Luck from Smithtown.;)