• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Who else has the personality type that can't get rid of guilt on vacation?

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only time I find myself completly relaxed is when I am in Escondido at Lawrence Welk (the older units). I have never figured out what it is about the units but after staying in about 100 different places I always can relax and shed the world at Welk.
Bart

I think alot of us have that special place. Mine is Longboat Bay Club. I walk in the door and even after a long flight, all stress leaves. Im sure glad I own there.

Ive been to your resort and I do love it. Hope to go back.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glenn, I think you've got great ideas. We're on vacation again, this time on the west coast at the Hyatt Carmel Highlands so I reviewed this thread to prime myself for true enjoyment. I'm looking for things for us to do each day. I think that will help plus give myself permission to do nothing each day. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

geekette

Reaction score
Glenn, I think you've got great ideas. We're on vacation again, this time on the west coast at the Hyatt Carmel Highlands so I reviewed this thread to prime myself for true enjoyment. I'm looking for things for us to do each day. I think that will help plus give myself permission to do nothing each day. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

stop looking for things to do each day!!! You're on vacation! You really are a busy busy bee, aren't you?? not a bad thing, just saying... you seem to have a lot more energy than I do.

I realize that I am not A Scheduler on vacation but if it suits you AND RELAXES YOU to plan your days, go right ahead. But I'm way bigger on that giving yourself permission to do nothing each day!!! :cheer:

:zzz: high on my list

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geekette, I do feel if I don't do something I'm wasting vacation time. It is a mind set (aka sickness).

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not feel guilty while on a timeshare vacation or cruising.

I feel I have earn the right to enjoy my last days on earth.

geekette

Reaction score
Geekette, I do feel if I don't do something I'm wasting vacation time. It is a mind set (aka sickness).

and I am attempting to heal you through TOUGH LOVE!!! Slow down, sit down, go do something for pure joy vs productivity! It's not wasteful, it's savoring. If you are enjoying a moment, why hurry to the end of it?

I do of course enjoy seeing the local whatever, I just don't plan much beyond knowing what's available. We're simply different. And different people have different approaches to vacation.

So long as you return relaxed, happy, rested, please enjoy your vacation in your normal vacation mode! But if you have stress, are tired, find yourself hurrying for something or grumpy while on the trip, I give you permission to fall asleep on your balcony lanai, a totally unproductive indulgence. THAT YOU DESERVE. Or, pop for a therapeutic massage or whatever you might enjoy in the spa. YOU ARE WORTH IT. IT IS NOT A WASTE OF MONEY TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF. You do deserve a treat and it's best to slow yourself down before it is done for you.

There, you also just got permission to blow some dough on yourself! :cheer:

I hope you have a great trip, no matter how you spend the time.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to have some sort of pseudo plan or I will GO NUTS.

For example. Every year when I go to Cabo. It is pretty much a daily requirement that I hit up my fav taco stand in front of the Cabo Wabo.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a boss that makes you feel guilty is tough, too. My old boss at Metrolist (MLS for Denver Realtors) gave me a major guilt trip for taking a few days off to take my kids and their friends to a marching band competition out of state.

She scolded me before I went, then when I got back, and again when I quit that job.

I guess it's because I told her what I was taking the two days off to do. Had I said I was sick, perhaps she wouldn't have been so offended.

Cindy, That reminded me of the time years ago, while in the navy.
Form requests were required for excused time off in advance. I requested a day off. Reason: To go fishing. The request was granted for being so honest. They thought I deserved a day off. I agreed or I wouldn't have been so bold.

--------------------
Robert

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

You know what? It's your time to do with as you please. If you want to do something every minute of every day, go for it. If you want to laze around, by all means do so.

To me, it is the destination that is the biggest factor in determining how much I will pack in. If the locale is hot & beachy, you will find us lazing more. If it is a sporty place or a city, we will go-go-go. If its a place we've never been before, we'll probably do more and plan more organized activities. If its a place we've been to a bunch of times, we will wing it a bit more and take it easy.

Some people firmly feel that vacations should always be about deconstructed time, but I personally disagree. Sure, sometimes vacations should be lazy. But other times you may want to be more active. To me, the thing that is rejuvenating about a vacation is the ability to do what you want with your time- the needs/wants of your boss, clients, patients etc are temporarily set aside and your own needs/wants are placed first and foremost. That is a great feeling, both on trips where we choose to do nothing and trips where we choose to do everything.

Hope you had a great trip to Carmel, despite our recent unpleasant weather. What's up next?

H

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah same as you!! I have a very hard time to do nothing at all. When on vacation, I feel like I didn’t pay all this money and came all this way to do nothing. I can do that some other time but not on vacation. Good or bad, not sure? But my life is filled with great experiences. A continually, changing bucket list.
For work: I adopted the entrepreneurial time system a few years back. Last year I took roughly 165 days off work (104 weekends, 11 weeks off 55 days, 6-7 holidays.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oek3VqIQ7YU . Not sure if all that time off made me more productive or cost me to lose business. Either way I have been recognized as a top producer for many years in a row? Why challenge a winning formula.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smell, don't only

look at the roses.

Getting away is healthy.
Getting there and the returning takes its toll. About the 3rd day away, we are finally into something we were on the vacation for. Two days later we're thinking about returning home and the 'job'.

The point; one week just doesn't get it. Plan for it. Save for it. Schedule the schedule to allow for self. When you are thinking about all you want to see and do, allow yourself to go the extra mile to SMELL the roses too.

Caroll and I try to see and visit someone wherever we go. See a new face and chat and smile.
The first day we schedule a massage as soon as obtainable. Also, another the last day before checkout.
Two weeks minimum vacation to revitalize the soul.

Guilt for not being productive, not doing, for wasting your precious time???

Plan to be productive at helping yourself. The military and most companies realize the personnel are more productive by having time off. Some require you to take it. They realize the necessity, as the company benefits.

Maybe you could take up photography, fishing, flying, sailing, writing. Attend painting classes to enhance future paintings along Big Sur. No matter, occupy your time away from your normal job to where you know you are improving yourself. You should feel guilt for not doing so.

-------
Robert

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people firmly feel that vacations should always be about deconstructed time, but I personally disagree. Sure, sometimes vacations should be lazy. But other times you may want to be more active. To me, the thing that is rejuvenating about a vacation is the ability to do what you want with your time- the needs/wants of your boss, clients, patients etc are temporarily set aside and your own needs/wants are placed first and foremost. That is a great feeling, both on trips where we choose to do nothing and trips where we choose to do everything.

Hope you had a great trip to Carmel, despite our recent unpleasant weather. What's up next?

H

It is so helpful to see people's thinking on this subject. I think another part of my problem is my perfectionism. So deciding what the vacation should be is critical and sometimes I can't decide!! I'm my own worst enemy!

But we're enjoying the Carmel area. We went out on a whale excursion and saw over 12 whales, my first sighting ever! Amazing! We're doing good food, wineries, sightseeing and nothing. It could be warmer but we're dealing with it.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I work when I am on vacation. I work on planning our next trip. The beauty of the world and the new friends we make is awesome. We met folks at MFC that we will see at Oceana Palms next month and another couple we will see at Crystal Shores. I make sure the house is presentable but I don't dust or vacuum before I leave. It needs it when I get home. Our plane leaves for Maine at 11:30 so I had best get off the computer. Our daughters family is there so we will have little ones to enjoy!

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
One Year Later

So, have any of you changed your way of thinking about Vacations as a Necessity for your health and well being?

We've relocated after Irene destroyed the house we had worked on for 7 years to make comfortable. We got to where our well being required doctors too often. We now vacation more. This house is already in pretty good shape.
The yard keeps me busy. We visit more.

We are visiting Hampton Roads often, we are going up there in a week and then to meet up for a small family reunion at Troutman, NC before the month is over. Hoping for a family outing to the Billy Graham museum.

We'll visit Atlantic Beach the last of April. In June it's off to Smokey Mountains resort to see blooming rhododendron and visit Dollywood.

Anyway, I got this idea to start including my signature notes once again. They are from touring. Here's hoping they entice you to get out and see some of our country. Go smell the roses as it were.
There are many photos also. I wrote the notes some time ago, but the places haven't changed much, so there is much to learn by reading and looking.

Plan to get away for visiting our National Parks if nothing else. They're areas set aside for your enjoyment.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have the same feeling, guilt about having fun, usually, when I am enjoying myself, someone else in the family has a problem, illness, etc.
My husband can turn off all the outside stress and enjoy his vacations guilt free.
The best way to enjoy the vacation is to plan ahead and try not to feel guilty, all the stress, illness, and problems will be there when you get back.