• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United Airlines

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband passed away last month and needless to say the last thing I've thought about is frequent flyer miles. However today American called with a curtesy call for him saying that his miles with them were were nearing expiration. I explained that he had died. The caller extended her sympathy and offered to transfer his miles to my account. She e-mail the necessary document, which I filled out and fax to them. I then decided to call United and have his miles with them transfered to my United account. The person I talked to was very abrupt and said "We can do that and it will cost $150.00". I just said that American did it for free. She said "Our policy is ...... ". So I said that I would be flying American after this and hung up. What a rip off!:mad:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Deepest condolences for your loss. With some carriers, FF miles expire with the account holder. It's good that AA will allow you to get some benefit for them. A pox on UAL.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. My husband died last May and it has been a roller coaster of emotion. I, too, spent a lot of time in the first couple months dealing with paperwork, details, accounts etc. it is just extra hurtful when someone is abrupt or not helpful, because it triggers all the other feelings we are experiencing at that time. I found the book, Understanding Your Grief, very helpful and also used the workbook that can be bought separately from Amazon.
Liz

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mimi, I've very sorry for your loss. It's nice that American was so proactive and a shame that United was not more cooperative.

Sue

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
You can still use your husband's miles if you know the password. Just go online and book a ticket but remember to change the passenger name. I finally used up my uncle's miles and he died 4 yrs ago.

Mimi, I am sorry to hear about your husband.

Liz, I didn't know your husband had passed away. I missed it somehow. My sympathy to you and our family.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a pure money grab is what it is. There probably is a small nominal cost to do so in the computers so to charge perhaps $15, which I'm sure is still 90% profit would be acceptable, but $150? Its sheer greed.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should call back and ask for a supervisor. I have found being extremely polite SOMETIMES things are over resolved with a supervisor. I have noticed that a FEW of the agents who answer the phone at United seem to be suffering from PMS and are downright rude. Oddly enough, I have found having a man answer the phone I always get great customer service. The weird thing is that seems to be the case with banks, airlines, credit card companies, travel sites, etc. Go figure.
I worked for the telephone company for 34 years before I retired so I am always extremely polite to service reps.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard about your husband, Liz, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're right, there is so much to do and the stress level can get high at times. Everyone I've talked to at the bank, Social Security, insurance, etc. have been so nice and helpful, United is the one exception.

Pat, thanks for the information that I can still use the miles.

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
had a bad experience with United also

i bought my brother and his fiance a honeymoon to Aruba for this May and they "postponed " the wedding . I knew the tickets were no refundable but did not know they were non transferable. i had one agents tell me " well you should of read your fare rules " . so i did and they weren't in there , they were in something called a contract of carrige . United would not budge on this so I am out $950 in airfare. hopefully my brother will set a new date and he can use the credit minus any fees for a new honeymoon .

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
United is the worst of four real bad (now three I guess with American buying USAir) airlines. I am stuck using them because they dominate my local airport. I fly JetBlue, Virgin, Southwest, and others if I can.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can still use your husband's miles if you know the password. Just go online and book a ticket but remember to change the passenger name. I finally used up my uncle's miles and he died 4 yrs ago.

This was going to be my recommendation also, though now that the OP has called United and they know that her husband has passed away, they may have put some type of lock on the account to prevent their use. I know over on FlyerTalk, they just recommend using the username and password ot the deceased to book award tickets in the name of another passenger to get around the $150 fee.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't give my name or my husband's ff #, I just asked if it was possible to have the miles transfered to my account and then the conversation didn't go any further, when she said that it would cost $150.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I didn't give my name or my husband's ff #, I just asked if it was possible to have the miles transfered to my account and then the conversation didn't go any further, when she said that it would cost $150.

That is good. Just follow the prior advice as long as you have the username and password of your husbands account.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi...I would offer the same advice; to call back, and ask for a supervisor. My husband died last April, and I was able to transfer his air miles with American, Delta, and Alaska with no problems. I just needed to send a letter of request, along with a copy of his death certificate.
We didn't have any miles with United, but I hope that person you talked to doesn't understand company policy. She certainly doesn't understand public relations or sensitivity.
I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope that you're able to accomplish the transfer. You have enough pain to deal with right now. XXOO Jean