• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weeks purely for RCI Points

raptor78

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need a little input...

Can I get some rough estimation of what a good value for a weeks deposit into RCI should yield in terms of RCI points?

I understand this is entirely dependent on the value of the points granted vs the underlying maintenance fees -- but I don't have a real solid understanding of what RCI points are truly worth...

Just a sample -3B in Orlando - The underlying maintenance fees cost 501.19 and yield 63,000 RCI Points - Effective price is $7.95/1000 points

Has anyone done the analysis to determine a sweet spot when you are looking at weeks for deposit strictly for the value of the RCI Points?

Mike

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Points should be $0.01 per point or less. The least expensive can get down to around $0.0059 per point. $501 for a 3 bedroom in Orlando is cheap. Are you sure that includes taxes? Most in Florida do but a few don't. Wyndham calculates in $ per 1000. Since RCI points are usually a smaller number you can calculate it per point.

I am sometimes leery if MF's are too cheap. Check out the reviews and make sure the resort is being maintained. Sometimes it is hard to tell because although the reviews could be pretty good now it may be the resort is not saving proper replacement reserves and a special assessment and/or a status downgrade and points reduction may be in the near future.

raptor78

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for inputs -- the Orlando wasn't one I was serious about -- it was just a random for math purposes :)

Great numbers you provided -- those are exactly what I was looking for in running figures... Also good point on the taxes in FL -- Though I tend to avoid the properties in FL in general, just due to higher rates due to high tourism -- Might be making a mistake, just seems I am better served trading into Florida for now -- if I reach a point I want to be there more frequently I can secure a property or points there...

Thanks again!

Mike

bshmerlie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best ratio I have found is the Grandview in Las Vegas. You can get up to 61,000 points for $345 MF. There is one on ebay right now.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need a little input...

Can I get some rough estimation of what a good value for a weeks deposit into RCI should yield in terms of RCI points?
The often considered "best" unit for "points for deposit" is illusive.

You can not PFD Gandview LV as it is an RCI Points affiliated resort - any unit not "converted" to RCI Points there has to use RCI weeks.

If you are considering a purchase - buy one already converted.

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
$0.01 is a fairly typical value that you'll see thrown around as the threshold between a good value and a bad value for RCI Points. There are many different timeshares that come out closer to $0.007 with a PFD. (And don't forget to figure in the $26 PFD fee.) Look for Gold Crowns with low MFs.

Keep in mind that you do have to own one real RCI Points timeshare to get into RCI Points. Grandview in Las Vegas is a great one, as the MFs are low (a 1BR triennial is just a little over $100).

I really like using PFD because of the flexibility. I can use weeks in RCI Weeks (or II for dual-affiliated timeshares) or I can PFD them into RCI Points if I need the points. Instead of being stuck with a set amount of points that I have to use every year, I have control over what goes into points.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We own at Twin Rivers in Fraser CO, an ordinary, non-crown resort, and pay $510 for a 3 bedroom unit. Own one of those in prime season and use it for exchanging in weeks, then rent directly from the resort additional shoulder-season weeks in a 3 bedroom for $380 per week.

They have lots of weeks available to current owners, and shoulder weeks are weeks 21-23, 33-39, and 47-50. Rent four of those one year at a time, so no ongoing MF's, and you can get 53,500 points for $380 MF's with no future obligation. Twin Rivers has a limitless inventory of such weeks.

This is only for OWNERS and could change at any time, but as inventory keeps mounting, it seems like this program will be ongoing.

$1,520 (4 weeks) + $104 (PFD fee of $26 X 4) for 214,000 points = < .0076 per point

I kept two of my RCI Points contracts and chose this route instead of owning six contracts in RCI Points. The ongoing fees and the possibility of fees going up were a deterent. I regret my original Aussie points purchase for sure. :rolleyes: Maybe when the Aussie dollar goes down and the US dollar goes up, I will feel differently. Right now we are at quite a bit over 1 cent with those points.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Don't Think That's It.

Do I understand this correctly, that a PFD week value is based on maintenance costs?
I doubt it.

PFD is more likely based on unit size & resort rating & demand season of the banked week.

Those may well be reflected in maintenance fees, I don't know. Even so, if the fees go way up & the other factors stay the same, it's unlikely PFD value will change.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Allypet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt it.

PFD is more likely based on unit size & resort rating & demand season of the banked week.

Those may well be reflected in maintenance fees, I don't know. Even so, if the fees go way up & the other factors stay the same, it's unlikely PFD value will change.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

That's what I though, I misread it. Is there anyway to figure about what you can get for a trade before you deposit it into PFD?

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI assigns PFD points based on location, resort quality (Gold/Silver/etc), size and season. We calculate their value based on total cost (mainly MFs for many timeshares) and the points received.

There is a PDF document somewhere that shows the PFD points charts.

chewie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the chart with a google search and a previous post here on TUG from Ron98GT.

http://www.rci.com/GPN/CDA/Common/pdf/RCI_ExGridsUpdate1.pdf

I confess to reading some of Michael's previous posts on the subject in order to myself acquire a specific Weeks property for such purposes. Here is how I was able to apply this knowledge: In the case of the property that I bought off of ebay, I have a floater that I can lock-off into a 2BR and 1BR and then deposit. If I can reserve a highly valuable usage week that has a great TPU from Weeks, I will deposit them both into the Weeks account and get a very high TPU for the both. If, however, I cannot reserve the 'great weeks' then I just reserve a junk week and PFD them into my Points account for 92,500. This is on a yearly maint. fee of ~ $600.

Is there value in this? Well, taking a 92,500 point allocation allowed me to sit and wait for some nice things to come along and snag. I was able to pull a 2 Bedroom, July 4th week in 2013 at the Hilton Kings Land in Waikoloa, HI for 88,500. If I were to go after the Weeks inventory (I asked the RCI Call Center person to use Points instead of the Weeks TPU's that they wanted), this week was listing at close to 50 TPUs from the Weeks side. I'd say that this is a pretty good deal. I am a believer in the PFD method, as it is just another tool to utilize.

Thanks again Michael!

jc92869

TUG Member
Reaction score
biennials / triennials

I'm an advocate for the biennial/ triennial contracts. If you find a large biennial contract that fits your "annual" needs, I think prices are a bit cheaper than annuals on resale.

For example a 92,500 biennial vacation village in Orlando with M/F of $730, will give 46k annual points with equivalency of $360/ year MF fees. This is similar to the grandview 49k points for $342 yearly.

Grandview sells for more because it IS a better product/pricing ratio than most T/S out there. But since biennials are less desirable to most people, these contracts usually sell for less, but yield almost as much.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
So looking at the grid, why does VV@P get 92,500 points when a Red Gold Crown in Florida should net you 57,500?

Is that an old grid?

If one where to buy a VV@P 92,500 point TS, can the values change in the future?

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 92,500 is for a "really red" week. :rolleyes: