• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Kauai Trip Report - merged] Arrived in Princeville at Alli Kai II

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hanalei Gourmet

The four of us had a great lunch and everyone shared
Ruben sandwich 5* so big we took half home
Fish & chips 3 pieces took one and a half home 5*
Fried egg plant--took home a whole piece of flat bread 5*
Boiled shrimp in Bay Seasoning--5* and nothing was left:D

Very generous servings, great service, good prices..we will be back

:wave:
Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boat Tours out of Hanalei

Has anyone taken a boat tour out of Hanalei?

The drive back from Port Allen to Princeville, in the dark, is not something to be cherished. Darker than a mother in laws' heart
Mahalo, Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're booked for this Tuesday at 5pm.

Concierge here at Alii Kai is booking luau at Smith's and the new one a Kilohana that is intimate friendly and only seats 1,000 people but usually only 700-800 show up. Both drives are at night and both are too far from Princeville on Kauai's black, curvy, poorly lighted highways.

Sterling:eek:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
ACCording to Kauai Revealed: "If it is May-Sep nothing a west side company can do will compete with the route from the north shore"

I called Na Pali Sea Breeze 828-1285 and they don't have any openings until Thursday so it is a no go for us. Morning check in 7am afternoon 1230 at Anini.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dinner at the Tavern Restaurant in PV

Had Dinner at the Tavern Restaurant by the PV golf course. 808-826-8700 lunch 11-4, happyhr 4-5 dinner 5-930

Chef is Roy Yamaguchi. Hostess brought us a bowl of cold burned popcorn :annoyed: while we pondered the menu. food was just ok and served rapidly.

I had meatloaf,runny mashed potatoes, gravy.vegetables mixed in with taters. Wife had shrimp with grits. It is a beautiful place. The food is not even in the same league with Bev Gannon's restaurants`on Maui. They continued to serve complementary burned popcorn to every table; I can't imagine why.

I won't be returning. Wife is less critical; liked her shrimp and grits. It is a great place to watch the sunset over the golf course

sterling

Last edited:

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they remain in business as the prices are very high even for Princeville with quite a few other restaurants to chose from in the whole area that offer unique settings or food. Each year when I've ventured in for a look and to check the menu/prices, the place is empty during the day time even at the prime lunch time. I do admit that the location and building itself are pretty nice, but very lonely w/out too many people around also. Perhaps one day it will be filled and the space in the beautiful building will be utilized.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hanalei Dolphin

Best chowder I've ever eaten. One cup is real close to a meal. A couple could order a bowl and take some home. :D

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everytime we leave the islands I hear the islands singing Aloha ah oi until we meet again over and over again. A beautiful way to say goodby to Paradise.

It must work because this is about our 34th year of visiting the beautiful people and the beautiful Sandwich Isles.

Will be back in Nov with the approval of the good Lord and TSA.

Sterling:wave: :wave:

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to have great food and great service here the night we went. I also find their wine list to be an unusually good value. However, having read the reviews on Tripadvisor and on Tug, I think we were the exception rather than the rule. I have read that Roy Yammaguchi is trying a new concept with this restaurant. It would probably do better if they were to followed the tried and true.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Have you been to Newport, RI? I have never been to a place with better clam chowder. I cannot say which place is the best because they are all so fantastic.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love Clam Chowder

Sterling
We will be in Kauai in 3 months and I will definitely remember this suggestion as we love clam chowder. Thanks!!! But prior to Kauai, in a couple of weeks we will be in Newport Oregon the home of Mo's famous chowder and my all time favorite the Chowder House in the Nye Beach District of Newport. I will need to eat a lot of each so I can better judge. ;)

DougH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've eaten there probably 10+ times in our 20+ visits to Kauai. Our favorite item on the menu is the Teriyaki Ahi.

Only a couple times has it been a disappointment, and usually it's incredible.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
JJ Broiler Lihue

Great chowder here too. Chowder Ranking 99.7% JJ's and 99.9% Hanalei Dolphin. JJ's makes a great Rueben too.

JJ's is only one mile from the airport, overlooks a little bay, has lotsa surfing action.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Calling all Geezers and Geezerettes

There is a free exercise class available at the Kaapa Community Center located oceanside on the north end of town. Monday, Wed, Fri 1-2 pm.

Their gym overlooks the wild surf (today anyway) and windows are open so you will be breathing some of the cleanest air in the world.

Great instructor and nice friendly folks will make you feel right at home.

Tai Chi cool down for total relaxation.

Highly Recommended.

Sterling, Geezer 1srt class

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alii Kai II--Good News/Bad News

The AKI II units, managed by Grand Pacific Resorts, will soon be undergoing a complete renovation--starting approximately this fall--but remember it is Kauai so who really knows.

Interiors will be completely gutted, the master bedroom moved to the other side of the building away from the parking lot and larger because one of the bathtubs will be replaced by a glass shower.

Kitchen will have all new appliances, granite counter top, new cabinets, recessed lighting.

Carpet will be replaced with tile. All new furniture everywhere. Elegant looking sliding panel with adjustable louvers will be used rather than drapes in the living room.

Big TV in LR, wall mounted TV's in both bedrooms.

Both BRs are elegantly appointed with top of the line furniture, beds, linens, wall hangings, art work, and mattresses.

Bathrooms are also top of the line furnished Think Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott 5* addresses.

Owners who didn't peak outside would not believe they are in Alii Kai II.

Bad News: $3,000 SPECIAL ASSESSMENT PER WEEK IS IN THE WORKS.

As an owner of multiple weeks I think we are getting a good value.

Sterling

Last edited:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
There were a lot of diners and the bar was almost full 630-730 pm; perhaps to see the sunset.

I am going to write Chef Yamaguchi and ask that burning question: "Why in the world do you serve all dinner patrons cold burned pop corn?"

Have you ever eaten the stuff that comes out of your kitchen? :hysterical:

If I get a reply I'll post it on TUG Hawaii.

Sterling

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It does sound very good. When you consider the costs if you were redoing your own personal vacation home, $3K/week is probably a very good deal. Enjoy.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds very worthwhile for $3000. And Diamond resorts is assessing how much at The Point at Poipu for water intrusion issues?

Reaction score
Sounds very worthwhile for $3000. And Diamond resorts is assessing how much at The Point at Poipu for water intrusion issues?

It is $5,800 per week for deeded... significantly less for the Trust.

I'm dumbfounded...

So $3,000/week is great deal for an interior overhaul and remodeling, and apparently worth every penny, but $5,800 for structurally rebuilding from the ground up to save the resort, AND THEN finishing with new interior is the crime of the century? For $3,000/week they should be able to build a new resort, shouldn't they?

Wait until the bill arrives in owner mailboxes, then we'll see how great a deal it is.... get ready for an Angry AKI Owners page on the book. But also, "welcome to the new world of timeshare!"

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
I unloaded the point at poipu this year. The $5,800 special assessment was for water intrusion only and did NOT include any interior improvements. Where did you get your information regarding the interior improvements at the Point?

How much will the special assessment be for the trust? And your source please?

Alii Kai has never needed a special assessment for water intrusion, unlike the Point, AKI was properly built from the start.

Some of the Point owners are so thrilled with the $5,800 SA they apparently think it is some sort of crime, perhaps not of the century, but enough of a crime they have filed a lawsuit against Diamond.

Sterling

Last edited:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind comments. I write as much for my enjoyment and memory as for TUG enjoyment.

Later I'll paste it all together at home and we'll have a memory book to go back to.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Front Luau

Attended the Tuesday night Luau at Med Gourmet. Tuesdays only 5pm and 730 pm. reservations required 808-826-9875 From Princeville an easy 20-25 minute drive.

Smiths Luau would be an hour drive and Kilohana an hour and a half. Concierge at Alii Kai didn't even mention Med Gourmet Luau. :(I don't think she even knows about it) eek:

Here is what adults get for $69, kids $59, Keiki $35

Fire knife dancing. Buffet. Three Vocalists, Bass guitar, regular guitar, tenor ukelele. Some falsetto singing higher than a soprano, all sorts of Hawaiian and Tahitian dancing by beautiful girls with beautiful eyes, prices include a welcoming necklace, and your choice of a Mai Tai, house wine, or beer. max of 80 people insures a pleasant athmosphere.

The luau starts with a Hawaiian Prayer of thanks for all the food.
:D

Luau Menu:

Potato Macaroni Salad

Taro Rolls--yum

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Steamed White Rice

Chicken Long Rice-yum

Fresh Island Fish-yum

Teriyaki Kauai Rooster Chicken-(one less Rooster to wake you in the morning) yum--Fresh Catch (just kidding)

Pepper Steak Stir Fry--yum

Kalua Pork--yum

Traditional Haupia

Hawaiian Coconut Cake

Freshly Cut Tropical Island Fruit.

Poi for the Mainlanders

It has our highest recommendation--we'll be back. (I've never said that about any other Luau)

Sterlling

ps: We were so full we couldn't sample the deserts.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Sold!! I'll have to try this one when we get back!!:D
Thanks Sterling.