• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

new television

Loggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, our rear projection tv is dying. What kind of tv should I buy? Plasma, LED, LCD, 3D? Help!

I am looking at a tv from 55 to 65 inches, as our rear projection tv was 52.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We just changed from our old rear projection a month ago. We went with the
LCD 55" with Wifi. No 3D, too much glare and we didn't think we would use it.
We got a Vizio at Walmart $999. Really happy so far.:D

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a 55 inch LG LED from Best Buy...I dont rememenber how much it cost but it was more expensive because it can get on the internet and stuff (my husband needed the bells and whistles). We bough LED because of the picture quality. I am one of those people who cant tell the difference between HD and Non HD but I can see a huge difference in this TV over the last 1 we had.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought 46" Samsung LCD x2 and needed the extended warranty both times.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Short answer - it depends.

What environment is the room where it will be located? Direct sunlight strike the TV? Viewed freqeuntly off angle? What types of programming do you typically watch? Lots of animation? Sports? Fast action?

I'd suggest going to a reputable store and viewing the different types with the type of programming you generally watch, and make your decision from there, after researching on your own, and reading up a bit.

I recently purchased a 50" Panasonic plasma, and couldn't be happier. LED is great if you watch a lot of animation, or if in a bright room. Study up.

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another suggestion would be to buy from Costco. They have a 90 day return policy on TV's and they extend the manufacturer warranty to 2 years. This would at least give you a good time frame to see if the chosen set works for you. I think the other chain stores only have 14 days or so and they charge to restock.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have a 60" LED Samsung that I bought online at http://www.buydig.com
Need help mounting over my fireplace. No issues.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
If you are anywhere near a Sony outlet, you might want to check them out. Sony outlets are now selling mostly A stock (brand new, not refurbished) product at really great prices. Last year, I picked up a 55" LED/LCD for my parents for $1299. Best Buy sold the same exact model at the time for $2399.

I was actually at the Sony outlet this past weekend, roaming around while my wife shopped in the other stores. They, again, had great A stock pricing. I saw a 46" LED/LCD for $599. They also had 32" LCD for $299. That's a big change for Sony to sell at these prices in the outlet. It used to be B stock only and the prices were barely lower than retail A stock.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you are anywhere near a Sony outlet, you might want to check them out. Sony outlets are now selling mostly A stock (brand new, not refurbished) product at really great prices. Last year, I picked up a 55" LED/LCD for my parents for $1299. Best Buy sold the same exact model at the time for $2399.

I was actually at the Sony outlet this past weekend, roaming around while my wife shopped in the other stores. They, again, had great A stock pricing. I saw a 46" LED/LCD for $599. They also had 32" LCD for $299. That's a big change for Sony to sell at these prices in the outlet. It used to be B stock only and the prices were barely lower than retail A stock.

Well...I was also at a Sony store this weekend and discussed the pricing issue with one of the staff. You may be unaware, but Sony and Samsung (and perhaps others, I'm not sure) have announced plans in the last week to require resellers advertise and sell their TVs at the same price. Some of what I've read is to prevent the continued erosion of retail establishments, as many are no longer making any profit on the sale of the item itself, but only on their third party warranties and accessories. TV prices in particular have continued to drop over the last few years. I doubt the new pricing requirements will last, since Panasonic and LG (I believe) have stated they will not do the same.

In other words, if you want a Sony buy it quick, since in the near future the prices may be higher and the same across all retailers (for the same model...obviously, Costco will likely continue to be an exception).

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Well...I was also at a Sony store this weekend and discussed the pricing issue with one of the staff. You may be unaware, but Sony and Samsung (and perhaps others, I'm not sure) have announced plans in the last week to require resellers advertise and sell their TVs at the same price. Some of what I've read is to prevent the continued erosion of retail establishments, as many are no longer making any profit on the sale of the item itself, but only on their third party warranties and accessories. TV prices in particular have continued to drop over the last few years. I doubt the new pricing requirements will last, since Panasonic and LG (I believe) have stated they will not do the same.

In other words, if you want a Sony buy it quick, since in the near future the prices may be higher and the same across all retailers (for the same model...obviously, Costco will likely continue to be an exception).

Retail salespeople are just like timeshare salespeople, so I'm not sure if I should believe that. I haven't read anything on that, but haven't looked for it either.
My take is, its well known that TV sales has decreased significantly over the past few years. This being the case, Sony would like to sell the TV's themselves, instead of having a retailer sell it. This way, Sony makes all the profit, gains a direct customer, etc.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
personal choice, but that said, .....

SAMSUNG. proven beyond measure. everything about them is superior. worth the money.

LED LCD with multiple HDMI (special outlets you can plug other things into)

love the big ones....best purchase we've ever made. (50 "or more is great, but I love the 70 ")

Another decent one is Vizio. Still like Samsung. Sony is just a name anymore, and not as up-to-date as they used to be.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Retail salespeople are just like timeshare salespeople, so I'm not sure if I should believe that. I haven't read anything on that, but haven't looked for it either.
My take is, its well known that TV sales has decreased significantly over the past few years. This being the case, Sony would like to sell the TV's themselves, instead of having a retailer sell it. This way, Sony makes all the profit, gains a direct customer, etc.

I read this last week in the WSJ. Note that I didn't say the Sony staff told me about it. I give credit to the Sony retail staff who knew about this only a few days after it was announced, unlike timeshare salespeople who live in another world altogether and have serious credibility issues. FYI, other than the holiday specials they were offering, other products are at full price. Here's a couple links to the story, plenty more available within reach of easy searching...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304791704577420383631021786.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/256094/samsung_sony_put_the_kibosh_on_tv_discounts.html

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
personal choice, but that said, .....

SAMSUNG. proven beyond measure. everything about them is superior. worth the money.

LED LCD with multiple HDMI (special outlets you can plug other things into)

love the big ones....best purchase we've ever made. (50 "or more is great, but I love the 70 ")

Another decent one is Vizio. Still like Samsung. Sony is just a name anymore, and not as up-to-date as they used to be.

I shopped and took a very close look at the Samsung, but chose Panasonic over it. IMHO, Panasonic has the edge.

JMHO, unless you're watching a lot of animation, or in a sunlit room, plasma beats both LED & LCD hands down. Just more accurate color and blacks with plasma. LED - LCD have come a very long way though...

;)

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I shopped and took a very close look at the Samsung, but chose Panasonic over it. IMHO, Panasonic has the edge.

JMHO, unless you're watching a lot of animation, or in a sunlit room, plasma beats both LED & LCD hands down. Just more accurate color and blacks with plasma. LED & LCD have come a very long way though...

;)

FWIW, I like all the newer TVs. But, I bought a Panasonic 58" about 20 months ago and still think it's great. If I had to buy today, I'd consider the options and my budget carefully and would probably end up with another Panasonic. I have two friends who each recently bought the new Sony XBR (I think they both got the 55", but it's also available in a larger format), and it looks stunning. But, I suspect many on TUG won't advocate for the expense of an XBR - it's definitely not the set to buy when comparing just on cost.

If the rumors are to be believed, we may discover ourselves in a completely different TV market a year or so from now.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

JMHO, unless you're watching a lot of animation, or in a sunlit room, plasma beats both LED & LCD hands down. Just more accurate color and blacks with plasma. LED - LCD have come a very long way though...

;)

While writing previously here I had the thought to mention Panasonic, but didn't......probably should have......Panasonic has made great strides in the past two years or more, and the quality of their LCD's are fantastic. I might even rate them alongside the Samsungs, altho I'm still overly partial to the Samsungs based on experience. Nothing but rave reviews by me on many many Samsung products, TV's especially, and that, for years. I currently have a 70" Samsung....love it, love it.

Panasonic let me down a few years ago, and it's tough to turn the page. BUT, I hear nothing but good things now about the new Panasonics, so thanks!

regardless, guys, isn't it amazing that huge, quality TV's are very affordable now??? It's great!!!! Every time I see a new TV, I want it. Didn't bite on the smart TV's, but maybe some day.......personally I don't wish to do all that on my TV---just mindlessly watch my TV is all......

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Sony and Samsung (and perhaps others, I'm not sure) have announced plans in the last week to require resellers advertise and sell their TVs at the same price.

Collusion and price fixing?? Isn't that illegal?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Going back to the original question, LCD seems to have replaced Plasma at this point (I have one of each and both are fine).

3D is either the next big thing or a passing fad. At this point I'd skip it unless you plan to own or rent lots of 3D movies or video games.

TVs have recently upped their definition (as in Hi-Def) from 720P to 1180P. You generally won't see any difference so you can save money buying an older-model 720, but if you're spending $1,000 plus for a big screen you probably should get the 1180.

I like LG and Panasonic. LG may be the cheapest high-quality set.

Hope that helps.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going back to the original question, LCD seems to have replaced Plasma at this point (I have one of each and both are fine).........TVs have recently upped their definition (as in Hi-Def) from 720P to 1180P. You generally won't see any difference so you can save money buying an older-model 720, but if you're spending $1,000 plus for a big screen you probably should get the 1180.

I like LG and Panasonic. LG may be the cheapest high-quality set.

Hope that helps.

Where did you get the idea LCD seems to have replaced plasma? That's not happening. Plasmas are superior. As the advantages show, plasma technology has the better picture quality in normal to low room lighting conditions and are better in 4 out of 5 picture quality categories. Plasma technology will almost without exception triumph during night time viewing. LCD televisions are great for sunroom/breakfast room type environments. Also, LCD monitors are generally better for public display such as airport signage and retail store signage due to the bright room light environment. Their colors are not as accurate as plasma, nice if you watch a lot of cartoons though.

Also, no such thing as 1180. It's 1080. ;)

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Ok, our rear projection tv is dying. What kind of tv should I buy? Plasma, LED, LCD, 3D? Help!

I am looking at a tv from 55 to 65 inches, as our rear projection tv was 52.

I don't really have an answer to your question other than, it just depends on what works for you at what price range. Since I don't watch a lot of TV, for use price is a strong derterming factor, which usually leads me to looking at the LCD TV's vs the LED's, although I believe the LED's probably have better picture quality. I've been gun shy about Plasma TV's since someone had told me the plasma screen degrages in quality with time and usage.

What I do find amazing is the variety we now have to consider when buying a TV. The big questions use to be do we go with the "big" 24 inch console, color vs black/white and do we really need a remote control?

I still have a 50-some-inch rear projection CRT Panasonic downstairs in the family room that works just fine for me. I have three LCD's of various sizes upstairs but, the 24 inch TV (that size use to seem so big) is just to small and I'm thinking I want to move the 36 inch LCD from the living room into the bedroom, then buy a 42 to 46 inch TV for the living room to replace what now seems like a small TV at 36 inches. If I do, I'll probably stick with the LCD although the LED's intrigue me.

Last edited:

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 60 inch DLP i bought 4 yrs ago and I love it . you can get a 73 inch DLP with all the bells and whistles for about $1200

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me a reflective glossy screen is a deal killer. I do not want to see the reflection of me, a lamp or the dog on the screen. In a brightly lit room, I would get to see not only everyone in the room, but all the furniture and every other wall ornament reflected on the screen.

It has to be a non-reflection or matt finish screen. With that comes a higher intensity image. Plazma is notorious for glossy screens and not for me.

retailman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dlp and Plasma is old tec. Led and 3D is where the market is going. I retired
from the electronic business and Samsung are the best out there for the
price. Sony are good but a little higher. Also Sony owns 5 per cent on
Samsung.
Visu and panasonics are the worst.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
plasmas have great pictures and true color qualities, but some say they hate the reflective qualities......me too......wish they could get that fixed.... but it's better than it used to be. Also, we don't always have low light situations, so for us, LCD's seem better.

Actually there are inherent issues with any and all types, but right now many people are sticking to LCD's. Great that the prices have fallen so drastically in recent years, whatever the type.

DLP's were fine...had one....but they're history as we already know......cried the day i took it out the door, but very happy when i began to love the new alternative. doesn't really matter what we get, but know it'll be better, cheaper, with less issues. I'm kinda hoping to someday have one that fills up my whole den wall, and serves hot food and cold drinks upon command.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dlp and Plasma is old tec. Led and 3D is where the market is going. I retired
from the electronic business and Samsung are the best out there for the
price. Sony are good but a little higher. Also Sony owns 5 per cent on
Samsung.
Visu and panasonics are the worst.

Yeah, I bought one of those old-tech plasma Panasonics, but mine is 3D. :rolleyes: Yup, old tech. The Viera TC P50ST30. And the worst.

I guess these folks have it all wrong too. http://reviews.cnet.com/best-plasma-tvs/?tag=leftnav

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

As for glare, that's very true, until you turn the TV on and its displaying its picture. Either that or the light in the viewing room is dental office bright, and as already stated, LED/LCD is for you if those are your conditions.

As I already mentioned, LED/LCD's have gotten better, but they still cannot match plasma. So until they do, plasma will be around. That is, unless someone cares to share a few links suggesting plasma is going away...

Last edited: