• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to buy

Droogie2799

Reaction score
Im sure this is a common question, and I understand the answer is subjective. My family want to go on vacation once or twice a year, different places every year. What is the most cost effective way to do this? I read somewhere on here that Hilton, Marriott, etc have time shares and those are highly thought of but what I don't understand is for example Marriott has 43 resorts, that doesn't seem like a lot. When we were sold the retail package for RCI points the book has thousands of destinations, why isn't something like that a better way to go?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott has 43 resorts, that doesn't seem like a lot. When we were sold the retail package for RCI points the book has thousands of destinations, why isn't something like that a better way to go?

Marriott trades through Interval International, a competitor exchange service to RCI. II has some of the other nicer resort brands like hyatt, sheraton/westin and a couple of four seasons resorts but hundreds of resorts overall around the world.

while you have to pay II fees to trade your marriott week, there are still much better options in II, in my opinion.

(of course, you can also successfully trade a good non-branded resort for marriotts and such - which is what i do very cost-effectively - but that works better if you can travel in the off-season. in general, if you are going to trade outside of a system, summer and holiday weeks may be tougher to get...so be careful.)

RCI has more resorts overall, but some of the options are of very questionable quality.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With credit to DeniseM (intrepid moderator and Mom to many) here's a questionnaire to help you and us make TS recommendations. She wrote it, I stole it.

Here are some questions for you to answer about your timesharing goals so we can advise you more accurately - click the quote button, and you can answer them on the next page:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

If you just hit the 'quote' button, and answer the questions it will become more clear how to help yo get what will serve you best without costing you $$ to do it over.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't buy at all for a while.

I know the TS bug has bit you, but don't be in a hurry to part with your money yet. Take your time. The good buys aren't going anywhere. Rent a few times from different systems. Look through the TUG marketplace (up in the red stripe above) Or Redweek.com. Pretty soon, it be apparent that there is a balance between cost and luxury and good management.

For instance, I don't find a need for the luxury or cost of the Marriotts, Hiltons, and Hyatts of the world. Disney doesn't do it for me as a steady thing. If I can exchange there every 5 years or so that's about as much mouse as I can stand. I like smaller resorts with owner-controlled HOAs that are well located and have low costs. Your mileage may vary.

You are right that the thousands of RCI resorts give you much more choice than the limited number of smaller families of resorts. And as mentioned, the quality varies. I don't know of any that I would consider 'dumps', because they wouldn't stay in business if they were, but you wouldn't want to own an oceanfront Marriott and exchange it for a remodeled motel 5 miles from the beach. On the other hand, there are a lot of darn nice timeshares that are not hotel-based.

That's why there are TUG reviews. It costs $15 to join TUG and that gives you access to the review section as well as other benefits. (sightings and distressed last minute cancellations). A bargain to help you get the most from your TS dollars.

Have some fun with this. It can become an all consuming hobby, and that isn't necessarily bad.

Jim

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is little worse than a SMALL (or limited location/multiple resorts) system in timeshare. You pay big to get in & then annual fees but the internal exchanges - the true value - are far too limited (unless you only WANT Orlando/Las Vegas/maybe Hawaii) and then you get into the extra cost of RCI/II along with the same uncertainty that plagues every "own to trade" plan.

IF you buy into a system - and some are VERY good values - make it one with a nice slection of INTERNAL resorts in many locations. Or go RCI Points for a very general selection. Or rent (perhaps the best deal of all in timeshare now).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes RCI has lots of timeshares but RCI doesent sell timeshares...RCI is an exchange company...

You buy a timeshare whether it be a fixed week, or a floating week at a particular resort, or you buy into a system like Wyndham or Marriott or others that have many resorts.

You vacation at your home resort or within the system that you own....or you exchange what you own for something else through RCI or one of the other exchange companies, be aware that if you exchange you still pay your home resorts maintenance fee and also a membership fee to belong to the exchange company and an exchange fee

Conventional advice here is to buy something that you will use on a regular basis

I chose Wyndham...lots of resorts in all the popular resort locations, several close to my home (for quick last minute get-aways), What sealed the deal for me was that Wyndham has the only 2 timeshares in the Washington DC area (my hometown) and they are in San Francisco where my daughter and grandkids live...Also Wyndham includes a membership in RCI in the deal so if I want to exchange into an RCI affiliated resort, I can

Your needs and wants will be different. Figure out what they are and then measure each system against them....

Droogie2799

Reaction score
With credit to DeniseM (intrepid moderator and Mom to many) here's a questionnaire to help you and us make TS recommendations. She wrote it, I stole it.

Here are some questions for you to answer about your timesharing goals so we can advise you more accurately - click the quote button, and you can answer them on the next page:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

If you just hit the 'quote' button, and answer the questions it will become more clear how to help yo get what will serve you best without costing you $$ to do it over.

Jim

1. What is the value in the home base if I don't plan on being there often? If I had to pick I would say Florida

2. Trade more than half the time

3. Hawaii, California, Florida, Virginia, cap code

4. 2 with just us 5with the kids. Probably alternate vacations, one with just us one with the kids.

5. School schedule 1/2 of the time

6. Yes

7. Yes

8. 3 - 5

9. 5k

10. $600

11. Yes

12. I do now

Thanks.

Michael

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're a frequent trader, location of your "home" resort only matters for trading power purposes.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, others will certainly have comments, but generally, buying to exchange is not economically the best idea. You can temper that by owning within a system that has internal exchanging. This reduces or eliminates the $100+-/yr that RCI charges for membership and +-$190 to do each exchange.

Buying resale, you are waaaay ahead of the game by being able to spring for as much as you say for the outright sale. I'd say that under $3K all in including closing/transfers is gonna do it. However $600 annual nut (MF) is probably a little light especially if you are looking at 2 weeks, one of which will have to be in a 2BR unit. Better ramp the annual cost up some.

Looking at your needs/wants/location, I'd suggest the Wyndham system. It's points based, though your MF is based on where your home resort is. I hear that Smokey Mountains has low MF and good point power. They have resorts in the places you list. They do monthly debit of MF, eliminating the once-a-year surprise and include an RCI membership and access to RCI Last Calls and Extra Vacations (discounted cash paid [no point cost] weeks).

There is little-to-no difference in the value of resale points to ones purchased from Wyndham. And the memberships are available at reasonable cost. (check eBay for highly rated resellers).

Just my usual $.02 worth.

Jim

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does sound like Wyndham may be a good fit. I sent you a PM with an idea for you to consider. Regards.

Droogie2799

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. So where is a good place to buy any of these packages you list? Is eBay or Craigslist the way to go?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of us like eBay. Just go with a seller with a lot of positive feedback. If you find something appealing, post it here in the appropriate forum. Owners will usually give you an assessment of whether it's worth chasing.

Look through the TUG marketplace (up in the red stripe above) and in the subforum Bargain Deals in Buying, Selling, Renting forum. TUGgers often post their own unwanted weeks and/or weeks owned by parents/friends.

I don't care much for Craigs List. It's just locals trying to sell their own. No way to tell who's reliable or not. Nothing verifiable.

I have bought from both TUG and eBay and had a satisfactory experience. The eBay one I outbid a $1.00 offer and landed it for $1.25, and the TUG marketplace one was just exactly the fixed week I wanted in the resort I wanted. It was not the bargain that the other one was, but is eminently usable, and if I want to, outstandingly trade-able and salable.

I again ask that you take some time. Learn about the various systems. You wouldn't buy a car, investment or anything else that can cost you thou$and$ a year without understanding it and making an informed decision. Don't buy a timeshare on impulse. The bargains aren't going anywhere. You can rent weeks from owners for about the cost of MF,(or less) with no commitment, so do that a few times. Find out about the infamous Wyndham 'parking pass in exchange for a sales meeting' fiasco. Learn about salesweasles lies.

Have fun, learn much. I had lurked her 5 years before I was ready to buy, and STILL made mistakes! So don't rush into it.

Best wishes.

Jim

Last edited:

Droogie2799

Reaction score
After doing some research, can you guys tell me the benefits of buying something like a Wyndham TS? It seems like picking up someone elses TS for a week or two a year might be cheaper, not sure I get the reasons to buy...

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can get desirable vacations in the locations and dates you like at rental prices that you're comfortable with, then probably best not to buy. If renting cannot create affordable vacation experiences you desire and owning can, then consider ownership.

chewie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There used to be a Wyndham owners site that had an active discussion board, similar to TUG. However, it looks like the person running it has not paid his maintenance fees, as the site is down and looks completely broken. < that was a malformed joke >

You bring up an excellent point. Late last year my parents REALLY wanted to visit a week in the Wyndham Sedona. I was able to go to this site and pick up the rental for $5 per 1000 points for the rental from a VIP owner. You see, many of these VIP owners WAYYYY overpurchased when they bought, and look to rent their points out. I was able to pick the exact week that I wanted and I got a really great 2BR condo for just under $800 for the week.

What I learned from this experience was to find a couple of VIP owners that are willing to work with me for renting me their points at a very good rate. If I ever want to come out of pocket for a specific Wyndham property, this is exactly what I will do. I have a relationship with the point owner, and can get an honest and trustable transaction.

Just be careful in soliciting for points rental questions in the TUG forums. This should be done via private message or via the TUG for sale / rental portion of the site. However, I must warn you that there are some very untrustworthy characters on the TUG Rental / Sale site. I have personally been ripped off by trying to rent someones points from the TUG sale / rental site. Be very cautious when dealing with people on there. I would verify their identity in posting here on the TUG BBS before exchanging any money.