• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie Timeshare recommendation

StuartAlt

Reaction score
I am looking for any recommendation regarding a Timeshare that would be suitable for my family and myself. I am looking for a place in Orlando or the Carribean. I have young kids so I am looking for a place that the kids will enjoy and may even have activities for them. Due to my work I usually travel during Christmas week. However I have found Florida to be cold when I go down there in December so I would be open to other times of the year but probably a vacation week. While I would enjoy going to Orlando and the Carribean I would like it to have a strong trade value so I could go other places as well. I am also not looking to get killed on the maintenance fees or to have too many restrictions. I have read posts on each of the Timeshares like Marriot, DVC, etc. but I am still learning and can't say i exactly understand some of these points systems and how much I would need for the way I travel. I would appreciate and recommendations, please no solicitations. Thank you.

chewie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have any in mind that you have been looking at? There are advantages / disadvantages to every timeshare. However, you will probably be better served by avoiding owning a timeshare in the Caribbean.

Have you looked at:

1. Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI Points)
2. Disney Vacation Club (DVC)
3. Wyndham Points packages

?

If so, what are your hesitations to these above, and what else did you have in mind?

Bill4728

Reaction score
Yes, Orlando is the number one place to vacation in the US but there just too many TS there so it is one of the easiest places to trade into in the TS world. For that reason many people on this website will say not to buy a TS in Orlando.

One way many people buy into Orlando is to buy into a TS system which has TSs all over the US (and world) and if you want to go to Orlando you can go to that TS system's resort Orlando, but if you want to go to the Caribbean you can use the same system to go to their resort in the caribbean.

BUT to make a long story short the advice you'll hear over and over again is first
- Buy resale and save at least 70% off buying from the developer
-Spend a few weeks looking over this board and really learn about TS before buying one. Sometimes, even with a great TS, selling it (if you find you don't want it anymore) is very hard.

Hope this helps and welcome to TUG

StuartAlt

Reaction score
I did look at DVC Bay Lake Towers about two years ago. It was a nice place and on the monorail which I liked. My hesitancy was my kids are 5 and 3 and would they outgrow it in a few years. BLT was nice but other than being near Walt Disneyworld seemed like a standard hotel. I travel often for work and stay in Hotels all the time so I guess when I am on vacation I wanted a place that looked like it was more for leisure. I was also not sure if other places offered more or had other amenities which my family and I may like. I will look into the other places that you mentioned but do you think they would be suitable for my situation. Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In a nutshell - Orlando is overbuilt, and so there is more supply than demand. That hurts it's trading value. You would be better off to buy somewhere else with strong trading power, and trade into Orlando - which is a very easy trade.

Here are some questions you can answer to clarify your goals, and help us provide some feedback. Click quote, and you can answer them if you wish.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
4) How many people do you usually travel with?
5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

StuartAlt

Reaction score
Thanks Bill. I have read enough of the board so far to know to definetly buy resale. I also appreciate your helpful words on the over saturation in Orlando and why it might not make sense to buy there. Would you have any timeshares systems that would be worthwhile to to look into. I am not in a rush as I just got back from vacation and I will keep reading the boards.

StuartAlt

Reaction score
I understand what everyone said about Orlando and it does make sense to buy somewhere else and trade to Orlandlo. Would anyone have any suggestions for where that somewhere else would be that would have strong trading power.

Denise thanks for yours questions and I would answer as follows:
1. I was thinking Orlando or Carribean originally but I live in the east coast and I really want somewhere with warm weather.
2.Yes I would visit home resort at least half the time
3. I would like to trade to Hawaii, Carribean possibly Europe and I am open to other locations
4. I travel with at least 4 people but sometimes in laws make it 5 0r 6
5. I am locked into a school or holiday schedule
6. I guess I could but usually I don''t decide where I am going until about two months before but if I had to I would plan in advance
7. Yes I can vacation for a full week but only on a long holiday
8. I would prefer 4 to 5 start accommodation. But I always like there to be things for the kids to do. If they are happy I am happy.
9. I would not finance and I could pay a decent amount upfront. I would not pay an extremely large amount because then I could just pay for the vacation each year the way I have been.
10.for maintenance I could spend $1G to 1.5G each year
11.I truly cannot say I am a detailed oriented planner. I usually have my travel agent do everything for me.
12.Yes I do realize it may not have resale value but I am looking at this long term. A place we can go each year and trade for other years that may save us some money because I have spent a lot on vacations recently.

Thank you

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
6. I guess I could but usually I don''t decide where I am going until about two months before but if I had to I would plan in advance.

11.I truly cannot say I am a detailed oriented planner. I usually have my travel agent do everything for me.

These 2 items are going to be your biggest barriers - without detailed prior planning, timesharing doesn't work.

With both your home resort, and exchanges, you have to be able to plan and commit well in advance to be successful. At 2 mos. out, during school holidays, the popular resorts are booked solid. Many owners make reservations or exchanges a full 12 mos. out or even earlier.

Before you buy a timeshare, you should really consider if you can make a big change in the way you plan vacations and if you can get your family on board. Otherwise timesharing will be very frustrating for you.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Conditions in today's timeshare market really can make it economically wise to just rent where you want to stay. In some cases rentals are less than maintenance fees. The market is subject to change, but for now, renting could be a nice way for you to try some resorts to learn what best fits your family situation. That's for sure what I would do if given a chance to start over :)

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
One of the most important considerations for a home resort that you like: is it easy for you to get to, eg within a day's drive.? We didn't know that when we bought but if we had we might have bought differently.

We lived in Ohio -- you can read our BLOG to see info -- and bought in Florida. But we used Wyndham in Nashville and smoky mts a lot going to and fro and love them enough to spend more time there. You might think you ll always want a far away vacation but so many TUGGERS are blessed with timeshares they love as close as a day's drive. Then you don't need to stay at a hotel -- which we really don't like, having been spoiled with timeshares.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Too negative

Conditions in today's timeshare market really can make it economically wise to just rent where you want to stay. In some cases rentals are less than maintenance fees. The market is subject to change, but for now, renting could be a nice way for you to try some resorts to learn what best fits your family situation. That's for sure what I would do if given a chance to start over :)

As you may have seen I am a big proponent of renting vs buying in the current market situation but the OP wants to set up a plan for his young family. Trying to rent over the next 10-15+ years exclusively may not be a great plan.

I fully agree that limiting his choice to any Disney branded choice is too limiting - the kids ARE likely to outgrow Disney & prefer Universal or Seaworld or an entirely different type of trip to Orlando - but chances are they will still enjoy the ability to go to Orlando either by driving or flying in. That ability to drive is critical - it means they have a cheap way to enjoy their ownership without necessarily having to pay airfare as any island ownership would require.

I think the idea that they have a "home base" in an area they know they enjoy & plan to use half the time is a good one. As we all know owning (and paying the fees) mean we make the time to vacation so we won't lose it. A resale Wyndham owneship at one of their many Orlando resorts would seem to fit their needs almost perfectly. Even if they DON'T plan ahead by 8-10 months the Wyndham system is flexible enough and has so many varied locations that a last minute choice can still be a great trip.

I think discouraging his plans is not being helpful. He sounds well informed as to the options & costs - a perfect candidate for a great value in a low cost resale purchase.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two places in Florida with excellent supply / demand curves that also tend to be warm are Sanibel / Captiva and Key West. You might want to look at those areas.

Since, you are locked into particular times, I would also suggest a fixed week rather than floating. Also, I would look at resorts that are member-controlled rather than developer-controlled as you avoid the padding of fees for extra profits

I would also look for resorts and times that give you the most exchange company options, since you want to exchange. A resort that is dual affiliated with both II and RCI would be a plus, as would one that SFX accepts as a deposit.

StuartAlt

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. I realize renting could save me some money in the near future but i usually don't have the time to search for each vacation and that is why I end up booking vacations at the last minute. It would be convenient to have a TS and book it 12 months or so in advance so I am not scrambling around at the last minute. While driving would be convenient I usually only vacation once a year so flying would be fine. John as you said I am looking for a Great Value in a low cost resale purchase that we could all enjoy. Many people have suggested Wyndham and I will look into it. Also thank you for telling me to make sure who the resort is affiliated for trading purposed I would not have though of that.

e.bram

Reaction score
Rent. Vacation time is a crap-shoot unless you have a fixed week.
And a fixed week limits flexibility.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your family would be very happy with Marriott brand resorts - the problem for newbies is that there is a complicated discusison of points and the new Marriott program and that ends up going round and round and confusing everyone including the OP. However, if you buy a platinum Marriott - even in Orlando - I think you will be very happy - look on ebay. For our use, gold Marriotts work very well - we have several at Marriott Summit Watch that we trade very successfully - but we are not hooked into the school year. We bought weeks off of ebay and strictly use II to trade the weeks. Funtime

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Since flying is not a problem, find a resort you LOVE so you can avoid as many exchange fees as possible by using what you own.

Point systems are good since you can book short stays and No internal exchange fees. Wyndham also offers special discounted last minute stays, listed on their website as they are avail, so that might be a plus.

Just know that summer time reservations usually require planning ahead.

Best of luck to you. TUG has been so useful to us!

Last edited:

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
If you plan on exchanging often, lock-off units are a great choice. You can deposit the units separately and get two weeks for the same yearly maintenance fees.

I vacation mostly in Orlando, however, I chose not to buy there as I was looking for a timeshare that has great trade value with relatively low maintenance fees. My family loves Disney, but we found DVC too expensive up front, so we made sure we bought a timeshare that would allow us to trade into DVC (DVC trades in RCI). Understanding this may be the case today, but can change at any time.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I understand what everyone said about Orlando and it does make sense to buy somewhere else and trade to Orlandlo. Would anyone have any suggestions for where that somewhere else would be that would have strong trading power.

Denise thanks for yours questions and I would answer as follows:
1. I was thinking Orlando or Carribean originally but I live in the east coast and I really want somewhere with warm weather. (Marriott Grande Vista 2-bdrm Lock-off. One of the Florida HGVC affiliates, or the Flamingo Hilton for the points)
2.Yes I would visit home resort at least half the time
3. I would like to trade to Hawaii, Carribean possibly Europe and I am open to other locations (Marriott has TS's in Florida, Hawaii, St Thomas, & Aruba) (Hilton is in Hawaii and Florida)
4. I travel with at least 4 people but sometimes in laws make it 5 0r 6 (Plan on getting a 2 bdrm. A lock-off if a Marriott)
5. I am locked into a school or holiday schedule (Platinum if Marriott. A platinum HGVC with 7,000 points would be good)
6. I guess I could but usually I don''t decide where I am going until about two months before but if I had to I would plan in advance (To short of notice for TS's, plan on 12 months)
7. Yes I can vacation for a full week but only on a long holiday (Look at the HGVC points chart. You can take partial weeks)
8. I would prefer 4 to 5 start (STAR?) accommodation. (For 4/5 Star stick with Marriott, Hilton, or Starwood = Westin & Sheraton But I always like there to be things for the kids to do. If they are happy I am happy.
9. I would not finance and I could pay a decent amount upfront. I would not pay an extremely large amount because then I could just pay for the vacation each year the way I have been.
10.for maintenance I could spend $1G to 1.5G each year (figure about $1,000/ year)
11.I truly cannot say I am a detailed oriented planner. I usually have my travel agent do everything for me. (Don't need a travel agent. You contact your vacation club on-line to reserve/book your week. You book your airfare and car rental online)
12.Yes I do realize it may not have resale value but I am looking at this long term. A place we can go each year and trade for other years that may save us some money because I have spent a lot on vacations recently.

Thank you

http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/Resorts.aspx#search/index

http://multimedia.hiltongrandvacations.com/mg/Book_Reader.cfm?BookId=19

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/vacation-resorts/marriott-vacation-club-collection.shtml

http://www.starwoodvacationownership.com/

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The OP was asking about 4/5 star resorts. Using Priceline as an example, I'd put Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood in the 4+ category. Hyatt in the 5 category. Wyndham in the 3 category. They are the equivalent of a Comfort Inn, not a Hilton or Marriott.

i.e. none of the Wyndhams in Hawaii or Las Vegas can come close to the Marriotts or Hiltons: inside/outside amenities or their location. No experience with Starwood (Sheraton, yes), but they sure look nice.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The OP was asking about 4/5 star resorts. Using Priceline as an example, I'd put Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood in the 4+ category. Hyatt in the 5 category. Wyndham in the 3 category. They are the equivalent of a Comfort Inn, not a Hilton or Marriott.

i.e. none of the Wyndhams in Hawaii or Las Vegas can come close to the Marriotts or Hiltons: inside/outside amenities or their location. No experience with Starwood (Sheraton, yes), but they sure look nice.

I guess you've never actually stayed at Wyndham Grand Desert or the Alexandria or Royal Vista or others or you would know they meet or exceed Hilton/Marriott etc in quality. They also have older, less fancy resorts but they are in so many more locations than the "names" which means - along with much lower purchase cost & fees- means far more value for the dollar.

We love the names too but Wyndham is tough to beat for location/quality/value.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess you've never actually stayed at Wyndham Grand Desert or the Alexandria or Royal Vista or others or you would know they meet or exceed Hilton/Marriott etc in quality. They also have older, less fancy resorts but they are in so many more locations than the "names" which means - along with much lower purchase cost & fees- means far more value for the dollar.

We love the names too but Wyndham is tough to beat for location/quality/value.

Nice pictures,

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ws-Wyndham_Grand_Desert-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

but I also mentioned "location". The Hilton and Marriott are on the strip at/near Flamingo & LVB. The Wyndham is at Harmon & Koval. Note that I've lived in LV for over 30 years, so I'm framiliar with the area.

The same on Oahu, the Hilton HV is on the beach, where-as Wyndham and the other TS's (excluding MVC & DVC) are several blocks across Kalakaua Ave. I'm in Hawaii, I want to be on the beach, which is why I bought a Marriott for Ko Olina & I'll buy a Hilton for HHV.

On Maui you can't beat the "location" or quality of the Marriott & Starwood TS's.

1. Do resale Wyndhams cost less than the big three or DVC, yes.
2. Are the MF's less than the big three & DVC, yes.
3. Are the big three usually located in better locations (relative to that city), yes.
4. Do the big three usaully offer more/better amenities and are they in a higher star rating, yes.
5. Do I prefer Marriott and Hilton over Wyndham and Comfort Inn, yes. When I travel & don't use a TS, I stay @ Hiltons and Marriotts, so I'm biased.
6. Is Wyndham and Comfort Inn a better value for the money, probably, but it's all relative because if I save a few dollars but wish I was at the Marriott or Hilton what value is that?

Any way, again, the OP asked about 4/5 star resorts/TS's & TS's that have things for kids to do: "8. I would prefer 4 to 5 start accommodations. But I always like there to be things for the kids to do." So again, you can't beat the top three and DVC for what the OP is asking for. :crash:

Last edited:

CAGypsy

Reaction score
I can totally relate. Until last year, I owned Worldmark by Wyndham. Which was great at the time....but I have five kids, and the older ones were bored there, as was I. I wanted someplace that was a total RESORT, and all I was getting was apartment complex like locations with a subpar pool. Ours is nicer at home.

Then last year I vacationed in Cabo at the Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach and I fell in LOVE with Mexico. I plan to make it my home away from home. And the resort..... OMG, it makes the Worldmark locations look like total dives. I ended trading my Worldmark timeshare in for the Grand Luxe - Vida Vacations. Yes, I paid thru the nose. But you know what, I am perfectly happy with my decision and I got what I wanted.

We just had the most awesome family vacation at the Grand Luxe in Nuevo Vallarta. And it is exactly what I had hoped for. Not only was the resort absolutely gorgeous, but it also hosts the second largest pool in Latin America. We went on fabulous excursions like horseback riding in the mountains and zip lining.

I am pretty much done with traveling in the USA. You will find me sipping a margarita in Mexico from now on.

Good luck with your search. You will know the right one when you find it. I did.

StuartAlt

Reaction score
From the posts I think I would probably be better off doing points than just a week. It would give me more flexibility for my schedule. I will look into the links that were sent to me though I have concerns for each. Marriot sounds great but it appears they changed their system and have also affected if you want to sell(Though I really don't have plans on selling). Wyndham sounded good as well but i saw people thought of their timeshares as 3 stars. When i am staying at a place for work I usually don't care how many stars the place has but when i am on vacation I like to have amenities. It's funny someone from Hilton just called me an offered my family and I to stay at one of their Hotels in a Orlando for 3 nights for $140 if I would listen to their timeshare presentation.(Don't worry I at least know to buy resale) You're right RonandJoan buy a place you love and that is what I plan on doing I am just trying to figure out what is best. I didn't even think of lock off and that may be good when extended family comes with us. I saw some said not to purchase in Orlando but to trade to Orlando but where would you recommend purchasing that would have a good trade value for Orlando, Hawaii and other places.

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
Be very, very careful

I would counsel anyone who is considering a time share, to only buy one where you have an ironclad contract, reviewed by an attorney, that says that if the maintenance fees go up, you have the option to give it back to them and get 100% of your money back. That is the biggest "bite" (I think) of these things is that they raise the maintenance fees on you, without your agreement, and you have to pay them even if you don't use it for that year. And what if you lose your job, or your company goes out of business, or you just get tired of it, your kids grow up, or whatever.

Of course, I seriously doubt if anyone is going to sell you one with a contract like that. In that case I would suggest you just figure out where you want to go and rent one for a week. I would think you should be able to arrange that as far in advance as you need to. I can guarantee you there are a lot of owners of these things who wish they had done that.