• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Foot Operation (Sea Scout photo added)

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
:wave: Hi Tug friends,

When ever I want to know something I always know that I can get some good info or at least good direction here. :)

My son is having an operation on December 27th it is called Evan's calcaneal osteotomy. This involves placing a bone graft on the outside part of the heel. In addition, we will lengthen the gastocnemius muscle band (this is in the calf) with the purpose of giving more foot flexion.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this?

Last edited:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't have any knowledge of this but I sincerely wish him a successful surgery and complete recovery!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I googled it and found in depth discussion as well as videos

Good luck

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I googled it and found in depth discussion as well as videos

Good luck

Yes, I googled it as well. What I am interested in is the recovery process. I am not finding much on that just the details of the procedure its self.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
:hi: Hi, Theresa, I don't have any info on that operation but I just wanted to say hello. It's nice to see a post from you again. Merry Christmas!:wave:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
here what I found..

I have had an Evan's osteotomy done on both of my feet for PTTD. The purpose of it was to straighten the medial column (outside of the foot) by adding a small wedge of bone (mine were about 8 mm) to the calcaneus. I had the posterior tibial tendon repaired as well. My dr was possibly going to do a gastroc recession, but once he did the first two procedures, he decided I didn't need it. I don't know about the Cotton osteotomy, so can't answer anything for you there. The recovery is long for these osteotomies. Most people who have them are non weightbearing for 6-8 wks, then in a boot for another 4 wks, bearing weight as tolerated. PT usually follows for a period of time. So, it's pretty major surgery, but I've found it to be helpful in my case.

and this

SOFT TISSUE PROCEDURES

Ankle Stabilization
Brostrum Repair
Evans Procedure
Ankle Arthroscopy with Thermal Capsular Shift
Ankle Arthroscopy with Repair of Osteochondral Defect
Peroneal Tendon Repair
Posterior Tibial Tendon Repair with or without a Calcaneal Osteotomy
Tendon Transfers
Repair Achilles Tendon with or without Partial Excision of Calcaneus
Tarsal Tunnel Surgery
Our standard protocol for soft tissue procedures are:

Follow up to the office 7 to 10 days after surgery. Keep the postoperative dressing dry. Elevate the leg for comfort. Ice for comfort.
3 weeks in a fiberglass cast nonweightbearing. We do allow you to stand on the cast but no walking is allowed. Crutches or a walker or a wheelchair is needed.
3 weeks in a fiberglass cast weightbearing. Full weightbearing with no assistive devices is allowed. Excercising on a stationary bicycle or a healthrider is allowed. Weight training limited to upper body excercises are allowed as well.
3 weeks in a removable cast or boot walker. This is taken on and off to shower/bathe, sleep, and to drive. Motion is encouraged when the boot is taken off. Remind the nurse to consider a compression stocking if you are having trouble with swelling.
3-6 weeks of Physical Therapy. Careful attention to bring back strength, motion, and flexibility. We have several customized protocols for your rehabilitation. If appropriate for your type of surgery this protocol will be provided to your therapist.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a surgery to repair a crushed heel. (lots of metal and screws involved) the recover process detailed here is pretty much what I went through, and it was written by the same folks that wrote what I posted above ....so based on my experience,, they know what they are talking about

BONE PROCEDURES

Ankle Fusions
Subtalar Fusions
Triple Arthrodesis
Pantalar Arthrodesis
Midfoot Fusions
Any repair of any fractures including:
Ankle fractures
Talar fractures
Calcaneal fractures
Lisfranc fractures (tarsometatarsal fractures)
Metatarsal fractures
Bone procedures require more immobilization. Bones on the average take 7 weeks to heal to about 80% of their normal strength. Once healed, we progressively stress the bone to accelerate remodeling of the bone and to improve its compression and tensile strength.

Our standard protocol for bone procedures are:

Follow up to the office 7 to 10 days after surgery. Keep the postoperative dressing dry. Elevate the leg for comfort. Ice for comfort.
4 weeks in a fiberglass cast nonweightbearing. We do allow you to stand on the cast but no walking is allowed. Crutches or a walker or a wheelchair is needed.
4 weeks in a fiberglass cast weightbearing. Full weightbearing with no assistive devices is allowed. Excercising on a stationary bicycle or a healthrider is allowed. Weight training limited to upper body excercises are allowed as well.
4 weeks in a removable cast or boot walker. This is taken on and off to shower/bathe, sleep, and to drive. Motion is encouraged when the boot is taken off. Remind the nurse to consider a compression stocking if you are having trouble with swelling.
4 weeks of Physical Therapy. Careful attention in Physical Therapy will help bring back strength, motion, and flexibility.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Karen :wave: Thank you Ron, it looks like this is going to be a LONG process. He is 13 so he should bounce back from this well. The big thing, like for many of us, is going to be getting him to keep up on the stretching once the cast is off.

The other big this is that we are hoping that he will be through all of the casts, and boots in time for Sea Scouts Summer Cruise. They go sailing for a week and he is really looking forward to it.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hi Karen :wave: Thank you Ron, it looks like this is going to be a LONG process. He is 13 so he should bounce back from this well. The big thing, like for many of us, is going to be getting him to keep up on the stretching once the cast is off.

The other big this is that we are hoping that he will be through all of the casts, and boots in time for Sea Scouts Summer Cruise. They go sailing for a week and he is really looking forward to it.

Where are they going for the cruise, out of curiosity?

H

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Where are they going for the cruise, out of curiosity?

H

They cruise the San Francisco Bay and up the Sacramento Delta :) I don't think the Skipper is ready to take a crew of 13-16 year olds out the Golden Gate just yet. lol Very different out there.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was a long recovery for me, but I was an old fart...Im betting a 13yo comes through it quickly.

My daughter was a Sea Scout and sailed San Francisco Bay as well (at the time she was on the only all girl boat in the fleet)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
They cruise the San Francisco Bay and up the Sacramento Delta :) I don't think the Skipper is ready to take a crew of 13-16 year olds out the Golden Gate just yet. lol Very different out there.

Well, I hope to heck he makes the trip! I wish him a speedy & uneventful recovery.

H

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It was a long recovery for me, but I was an old fart...Im betting a 13yo comes through it quickly.

My daughter was a Sea Scout and sailed San Francisco Bay as well (at the time she was on the only all girl boat in the fleet)

Sea Scouts is a wonderful origination. I am hoping that Zac will be able to stay in it all the way through to graduation. The Skipper would like to retire. His son has been out of Sea Scouts for 3 years. He stayed with it because of his passion to teach the kids boating skills and seaman ship. As you know not just anybody can fill the skippers shoes and as of yet we do not have anyone with his knowledge and the time that it takes to fill his shoes.

DSC06112.jpg

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
StuartTrimmingLeachLine.jpg

My husband was a Sea Scout in Newport Beach in the 1970's. He got tons out of that experience. Now we have a sailboat in So Cal. Here is a photo of him trimming our leach line on our Thanksgiving trip to Catalina island.

That is such an awesome program, the Sea Scouts, I am glad your son is having the chance to participate.

H