• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II- XYZ - Lovin' it!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi. We will be staying at Harbour Lakes the first week of September. Can you tell me where I can get more information on the 'Magical Dining Month'?

Google is your friend.

http://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/

Check restaurant.com first as I notice some on this list that are a better deal through restaurant.com.

Last edited:

happyfoot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to do an XYZ for March 2012, could someone PM me when they hear the booking window is opened into March 2012?

Thanks to this thread I booked an XYZ for Dec. in Palm Springs.

I wonder if I could book an XYZ for my XYZ booking....does that make sense?

The II rep I spoke to said XYZ was only available at destinations with excess inventory like Palm Springs, Vegas, Orlando. I asked about Hawaii and he said no. He also said only studios were allowed to be booked in Vegas and Palm Springs...does that sound right?

Many thanks!

Not correct. I booked 2brs at Shadow ridge and Grand Chateau using xyz within the past 6 months.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but can't think of the right search term to look for it.

I made an exchange today for April of 2012. Right now XYZ currently goes to December. When it opens up, I can then call to see if my exchange will qualify, right? Or is the "locked" to when XYZ was running to as of today, when the exchange was made?

Thanks

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi you can do an XYZ on your exchange until it occurs (April 2012). It is not based on when you made the exchange but XYZ must be booked (not used) before the original exchange accurs

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi you can do an XYZ on your exchange until it occurs (April 2012). It is not based on when you made the exchange but XYZ must be booked (not used) before the original exchange accurs

I'm sorry, I'm not usually this thick but I what I want to know is, for example, my confirmed exchange is for check in in April. So let's say by mid March, they extend the XYZ to, say, September. Can I get a second exchange via XYZ for, say, July in Palm Springs or does the check in date of my XYZ exchange have to be on or before the date of my original exchange?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Bev

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
You deadline to book the XYZ is the check in date of the exchange you made with your original deposit, in your example April.

You can book travel out as far as the XYZ grid allows at the time you make the booking.

So if you wait until April and at that time XYZs are bookable into Sept, then you could book an XYZ for any check in until Sept. It's fine if you travel on the XYZ after the date of your exchange, as long as you make the booking before.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You deadline to book the XYZ is the check in date of the exchange you made with your original deposit, in your example April.

You can book travel out as far as the XYZ grid allows at the time you make the booking.

So if you wait until April and at that time XYZs are bookable into Sept, then you could book an XYZ for any check in until Sept. It's fine if you travel on the XYZ after the date of your exchange, as long as you make the booking before.

Thank you very much for that clear explanation - my synapses have been misfiring, I guess, and I didn't understand that part at all.

Bev

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Not correct. I booked 2brs at Shadow ridge and Grand Chateau using xyz within the past 6 months.

Hmmm, I wonder if it was cause I was booking Palm Springs for Dec, kind of a high season there, I think...now I wonder if I should call another rep.
What months did you stay at Shadow Ridge and Grand Chateau?
I am waiting to see if Vegas is avail. for March 2012
Thx.

Topfuelweb

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm not usually this thick but I what I want to know is, for example, my confirmed exchange is for check in in April. So let's say by mid March, they extend the XYZ to, say, September. Can I get a second exchange via XYZ for, say, July in Palm Springs or does the check in date of my XYZ exchange have to be on or before the date of my original exchange?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Bev

I am a bit confused as well. Please help me understand a situation that I have come across. I own 2 weeks EOY in Maui at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club. Two years ago we decided not to go to Maui and instead travel to Naples. When we went to deposit our weeks in II, they rep said because of the Maui weeks, you would be entitled to two "bonus weeks" which had a list of properties and dates we could choose from and they issued us a resort accommodations certificate. We had to use these within 12 months. So we used the bonus weeks to go to Orlando in 2010, then used our Marriott weeks in 2011 to go to Naples. I called II last week to do the same thing and then they explained the programs have changed, so I assume these XYZ weeks are similiar am I correct??

Thx

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused as well. Please help me understand a situation that I have come across. I own 2 weeks EOY in Maui at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club. Two years ago we decided not to go to Maui and instead travel to Naples. When we went to deposit our weeks in II, they rep said because of the Maui weeks, you would be entitled to two "bonus weeks" which had a list of properties and dates we could choose from and they issued us a resort accommodations certificate. We had to use these within 12 months. So we used the bonus weeks to go to Orlando in 2010, then used our Marriott weeks in 2011 to go to Naples. I called II last week to do the same thing and then they explained the programs have changed, so I assume these XYZ weeks are similiar am I correct??

Thx

What you were given were accomodation certificates, which II hands out to get desirable deposits. You have to deposit within certain date parameters, etc. and it's not guaranteed that your deposit will get an accomodation certificate (AC) year after year.

Sounds like you were entitled to ACs when you deposited last time, but are not this time.

The XYZ is a bit different. You have to call in to get it, it's not like a week in your online account.

An AC is good for a year - XYZ is sort of being extended at the whim of Interval. And my guess would be that, although an AC is restrictive respecing what areas you can use it for, an XYZ exchange would be more restrictive - it really is for areas with a lot of timeshares in times of the year they have an oversupply.

But that's just my two cent thumbnail sketch.

Bev

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another Question

We received an accomodation certificate when we made a deposit of a Marriott week.

If we use the accomodation certificate to book an exchange can we then get an XYZ week with that exchange?

Hope that makes sense!!!

irishween

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried to use xyz for accomodation certificates that I booked. II told me they can not be used for AC. Maybe someone else has had a different experience than me.

22go

Reaction score
I just spoke to an II rep today who said the XYZ exchange must take place before the original start date of the exchange. I questioned her and she verified this with a supervisor. Has anyone booked before the start date of the exchange and traveled after the exchange date? I am so confused.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have booked several of them. I have always booked before the start date of the exchange that I am using and traveled after the exchange. I just booked one last month. I went to Williamsburg at the end of July and booked an XYZ for Virginia Beach in November. I also went to Key West in February and booked an XYZ to Orlando for this October.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just spoke to an II rep today who said the XYZ exchange must take place before the original start date of the exchange. I questioned her and she verified this with a supervisor. Has anyone booked before the start date of the exchange and traveled after the exchange date? I am so confused.

Call back and get a different rep.

JPrisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an XYZ for Grande Vista in Orlando for late Feb 2012.
Saves me a bunch of money on extending my spring break trip.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
Does that mean that the grid now runs to the end of February for the type I XYZ?

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got 2 XYZs last week, for the first time ever. We were told they were good until Nov 30, 2011. No mention was made of the holiday being excluded, but we didn't ask either. Now, we're trying to figure out how we can take advantage of them.

I was told today that I could book anything that was available for immediate confirmation before my week in Sedona that starts April 7. I have started my search, but have not figured out where I want to go.. Any suggestions? :ponder: I could go in late Oct-Nov 15, but I would prefer to take a trip during the winter doldrums in Jan, Feb or March.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
I was talking to II today and was told that the XYZ type I (grid type where you get a second same size (or larger unit) for exchange fee only) are still only until end of January. The type II where you exchange a large unit for two smaller units does not have the grid restrictions but must be booked before the first exchange is used. I think the previous poster maybe did the type II. I also learned that the type II's are based on private sleeping capacity so if you exchange something that sleeps 12 privately (3 or 4 bedroom) you could get three 1 bedrooms that sleep 4 privately or 2 2bedrooms that sleep 6 privately ( and maybe even 6 studios that sleep 2 privately-- didn't ask this one specifically but works the same way)

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Booked XYZ, can I XYZ my XYZ?

Hi,
I booked my first XYZ. I originally relinquished a studio for a Flexchange in Las Vegas- 2 br on Sept 18,2011
I got a 1 bedroom at the Marriott in Breckenridge for Dec 3, 2011.

The rep asked me what size unit I had in Las Vegas. I said 2 BR and he let me get the 1 br in Breckenridge..largest unit at that Marriott. Was very easy!

Can I XYZ the XYZ exchange? Someone asked that but I do not know if anyone has done it. II probably does not mark the exchange as XYZ. Still have the 2 br in Sedona in April to XYZ..will wait awhile so I can do it in early 2012. :cheer:

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
II does know if your exchange is an XYZ. If you go to your history under exchanges it will be listed as XYZ-two for 1

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
II does know if your exchange is an XYZ. If you go to your history under exchanges it will be listed as XYZ-two for 1

Thanks!
Just saw that a few minutes before I logged in to TUG. Someone had asked that question before, but I never saw the answer.

danrucker3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Info on XYZ trades!

I didn't know about these trades until I stumbled across this thread. I have a reservation already in for late September, and there are XYZ available for us! Big thanks to my fellow TUGgers for disseminating this info! :clap:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ -- say what???

I just ready through this entire XYZ thread -- and I've done the same thing previously. The first time, I thought an XYZ exchange had to take place as a week before or after the week you have already reserved -- AT THE SAME RESORT. I called Interval, tried it and was turned down due to lack of availability.

Now as I have re-read this thread -- trying my very best to grasp the concept, it seems like there are TWO types of XYZ?

I have an exchange, through Interval, for a Lake Tahoe resort starting October 14. Is this something that I can use to leverage an XYZ exchange -- what are the parameters of what I can request?

Many thanks -- don't know why I am having so much trouble understanding this concept.