• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

biennial odd week?

Catira

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi.. any disadvantages to purchasing a biennial week? I am looking at a week that we would be able to use in 2011.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi.. any disadvantages to purchasing a biennial week? I am looking at a week that we would be able to use in 2011.

We own one biennial timeshare and this is the perfect situation for us.

Just make sure there are no extra fees for a biennial ownership. For example, Starwood charges a $20/year fee for biennial contracts plus the $109 SVN fee (if applicable) is due every year.

toby9116

TUG Member
Reaction score
closing costs

Most of the fixed costs such as closingcosts,deed prep,deed registration and resort fees will be the same where it is anual or every other year. If you can use the other years for trade or rent out you may want to look at an every year purchse. These days purchase price will not be much different.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I own 4 annuals and 2 biennials and a triennial.

If I had it to do over again, I would have only purchased 2 annuals, the ones that I always use and the rest would be biennials and triennials.

I find that for me I want to own more than one TS system so since one size doesn't fit all to keep fees down I find the biennial and triennials a much better deal for me.

What system are you thinking of purchasing?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For resorts in locations with high maintenence fees, like Hawaii, the biennial is a great option. We own a biennial Hawaii resort for odd years only and do not plan on going more than once every two years. It has worked out well thus far. :)

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only negative that I see is that you will still have the full load fees for closing. So if you were to buy 2 biennials, you'd have 2 closing costs. That said, I do own a biennial.

Sue

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you buy a lockoff you could get a vacation every year for half the maintenance fee ( plus any fees).

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Biennial is also good if you don't have as much time to travel as you dream of. I own one biennial and one annual, and can't handle more trips than that. I would even be happy with two biennials. The closing cost is minimal, especially if you use some companies recommended on TUG

Catira

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great advice

I was hoping for an annual timeshare, but thus far the RCI resort I am looking at is biennial. It is a lockoff unit so that may be an advantage to be had. Thus far I own a small 44100 RCI points acct. $740 MF, which I now realize is a bit more than I want to pay for the amount of points. This is probably one that I will once again try to sell. The other timeshare is wyndham, which I like the fact that we have been lucky to book within 30 days..just got to be patient and persistent.

It's hard to buy another timeshare ... hoping to get a great bargain on Ebay to trade into the great resorts. Its a russian roulette when you make a purchase sometimes not knowing how well it will trade.

But thanks to TUG everyday I learn something new and hope to get as much value from my timeshares.:)

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that the only weeks at that resort are biennial. Just keep waiting and I'm sure what you want will show up.

Catira

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that the only weeks at that resort are biennial. Just keep waiting and I'm sure what you want will show up.

No, I need to clarify. The resort I am seraching for on EBAY, thus far has only shown up with biennial weeks. There have been a few annual weeks, but they are not during red season.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same advice. If you really want an annual, one will show up eventually, I'm sure. Just be patient. ;)

TooManyIDs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Timber Lodge
HGVC Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Even though you would pay the same closing costs on an annual unit, they are one time charges. Ongoing maintenance fees are reduced for a biennial.

If you only want to use the timeshare every other year, why bother with the headache of trying to rent it or get an equivalent trade (looking at my first timeshare, so interested in answers to that question) ?

I'm also assuming that special assessments are reduced for biennial owners?

Based on posts here, current market doesn't assign any "equity" to ownership and the value of a timeshare is defined as the savings between renting an equivalent unit and the maintenance fees you have to pay.

Again, new here, so very interested in posts from the experienced owners.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want an "annual" ownership, be patient and wait. I would not buy two biennial weeks to make it annual, because you will pay two closing costs, and total MF of two biennial can be more expensive than one annual ownership. Also, when you decide to sell them later in any case, selling one contract is easier than selling two contracts.
I do own 3 biennial weeks, because I prefer biennial ownership for them. I use 2 of them myself and it's far from my home, so I cannot visit there every year. By owning biennial week, I don't have to worry about rent every other year and I pay MF only when I use them. My Marriott week is biennial and it is lock-off room which means I can have two weeks of exchange through II, and it fits my need. I already have other annual II exchangers, so I wanted biennial Marriott exchanger for Marriott priority.
For some owners, biennial weeks make sense, but if you want annual, try to buy annual.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Catira, biennial ownership works great for me. I own a biennial even year in Hawaii, and a biennial odd year on the Oregon Coast. My third timeshare is an annual mini-system that has resorts in Hawaii, Oregon, and elsewhere.

I can alternate vacations, and spend two weeks every two years in Hawaii, or two opposite weeks on the Oregon Coast. And anytime I don't want to do that, they all exchange well for other areas. It's pretty cool.

As others have said, wait for what you want. There is no reason to rush. Check the TUG marketplace, too. There are frequently killer deals there.

Good luck!

Dave

theduffster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Biennial is also good if you don't have as much time to travel as you dream of. I own one biennial and one annual, and can't handle more trips than that. I would even be happy with two biennials. The closing cost is minimal, especially if you use some companies recommended on TUG

Same for us! This means we'll have one week to travel one year, and the next year 2 weeks. That's plenty for us for now.