• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Washington D.C.

rachel1998

Reaction score
We want to go to Washington next year around the beginning of June. Where is the best timeshare location to stay? Is Williamburg too far? What other area is closer?

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been numerous discussions on this issue. If your intention is to visit DC, Williamsburg is several hours away. It is simply too far. My best advice is to stay either in D.C or outside of D.C. at a metro stop. You might consider a hotel in Crystal City/ Arlington Area. Timesharing is not the best way to see and enjoy D.C.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has a great timeshare in Old Town Alexandria near the metro stop. I would try for that first.

They are also building a new one in National Harbor (Prince George's County, MD), but I'm not sure when it will open. It is across the river from DC and in a new development with many shops and restaurants (but that's about all). Metro stations are about 5 miles away.

Williamsburg is way too far to drive to see DC on a daily basis.

rachel1998

Reaction score
I only want to spend a day or two in D.C. I would also like to see Shenandoah National Park. My idea of a vacation is not going to a big city but I promised my husband we would see D.C.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Alexandria is really the only convenient timeshare to DC (10 minute
metro ride into town). Anything else is at least a 2 hour drive (at least until
Wyndham National Harbor opens). If you only want to stay a day or 2 and don't own Wyndham, I would just get a hotel room near a metro stop, or downtown....

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Massanutten resorts in McGaheysville, VA, up in the Shenandoah Valley About 2 hours from Washington We have a trip coming up there in August and are plannig a day trip to Washington as well.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just did this trip in June from Massanutten ourselves. Just about 2 hours to Fairfax/Vienna metro station - very easy ride, and a 20 minute metro ride to Smithsonian station. If you are going to DC on a weekend I understand that there is plenty of parking available, we went on Tuesday and Washington friends recommended the metro as parking is harder to find midweek.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only want to spend a day or two in D.C. I would also like to see Shenandoah National Park. My idea of a vacation is not going to a big city but I promised my husband we would see D.C.

I don't think Washington D.C. qualifies as a big city.:) Its an important city but not very big at all.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just did this trip in June from Massanutten ourselves. Just about 2 hours to Fairfax/Vienna metro station - very easy ride, and a 20 minute metro ride to Smithsonian station. If you are going to DC on a weekend I understand that there is plenty of parking available, we went on Tuesday and Washington friends recommended the metro as parking is harder to find midweek.

Hey Laura, I would be interested in more info from you on your suggestion about getting to Washington, THe trip from Massanutten seems a little expensive and I am looking for a cheaper way to do a day trip.
Thanks

J

JoeMid

Wyndham Alexandria is really the only convenient timeshare to DC (10 minute
metro ride into town). Anything else is at least a 2 hour drive (at least until
Wyndham National Harbor opens). If you only want to stay a day or 2 and don't own Wyndham, I would just get a hotel room near a metro stop, or downtown....
Not 10 minutes.
Yellow Line 17 minutes to L'Enfant Plaza or 20 minutes to Chinatown/Gallery Place. wmata.com

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I must admit I never actually timed it :) But 17 minutes still isn't bad :D

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Laura, I would be interested in more info from you on your suggestion about getting to Washington, THe trip from Massanutten seems a little expensive and I am looking for a cheaper way to do a day trip.
Thanks

When my husband and myself were at Massanutten in November we did the Massanutten but trip to DC - and really enjoyed it. But in June we also had my 19 year old daughter, 12 year old granddaughter, and 13 year old grandson - I really couldnt see spending over $400, and taking them on the bus tour!! Driving from Massanutten was very easy - much less expensive and much better for the kids I think.

About a 2 hour drive - 33 to Rt 81 in Harrisonburg, North to 61 (?) and Vienna/Fairfax station is right off 61 - we got to station just before 10:00 when the reserved parking spots open up for all. At that time since it is after peak times, metro was also half price. Maybe 20-25 minutes on orange line metro to Smithsonian station.

The 3 movie lover kids wanted to see the Library of Congress (National Treasure) and The Natural History Museum (Night at the Museum) - we all had a great time!! The kids were also very impressed with all the monuments and memorials. Definately worth the trip and something we will be doing again in the future.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

We have been to DC quite a few times - but we really did enjoy the bus trip from Massanutten. The tour guide was wonderful, and we saw things/places that we had never gotten around to before. It was worth it for the 2 of us.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to DC quite a few times - but we really did enjoy the bus trip from Massanutten. The tour guide was wonderful, and we saw things/places that we had never gotten around to before. It was worth it for the 2 of us.

Thanks Laura, never been to Washington before, with my DH and me shall be our DD 15 and her BFF. Thought about taking the train to Union Station from Culpeper, VA, and then catching a tour from there. I will look into the way you suggested. How much was the Metro??

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Laura, never been to Washington before, with my DH and me shall be our DD 15 and her BFF. Thought about taking the train to Union Station from Culpeper, VA, and then catching a tour from there. I will look into the way you suggested. How much was the Metro??

From Vienna/Fairfax station I believe it was 4.25 each - because we got there after peak. Until 9:30 a.m. I think it is 8.50. I think peak stops at 7:00 in the evening but I am not positive. If you go on a weekend there should not be a problem finding parking in the city. During the week it was easier to use metro.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Metro

Some metro stations get full during the week early. You need to research if you plan to use the metro so that you aren't disappointed when you get to the metro and find all parking spaces gone.

JMHO
Nancy

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
you need to arrive at metro at 10 am. There are spots that are marked "reserved from 2 am to 10 am" - you can park in those after 10 am. (very confusing even for a local). If you arrive too much after 10 - they WILL be gone at Vienna during the week. The other stops on the way do not have as much parking.

Quite honestly, I would drive into DC after 10 am, and pay for parking - will be about the same as metro fare for a group. Just plan on leaving after rush hour - after 7:30 or 8. (even if you leave rush hour, it is ok, you meet the HOV numbers for I-66). Park in a lot and leave the car there all day, take the trolley or bus tour from place to place.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to DC on a weekend I understand that there is plenty of parking available, we went on Tuesday and Washington friends recommended the metro as parking is harder to find midweek.

Having worked in D.C for many years I can tell you definitively that parking on the weekend by the main tourist attractions is a major problem. Of course, it is a problem any day of the week all summer long when tourists flock to D.C. You are much better off leaving your car at a metro stop outside of D.C. and taking the metro in or staying in D.C. and using public transportation. On the weekend there is more overall parking - but not by where you want to go as a tourist.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
We live close to Washington, D.C. and because of the parking situation, rarely drive in. If you are looking to see the museums, the metro stop is very convenient. My husband (who doesn't go in with me often) prefers to drive, he wants his car. Parking is a problem and in the summer the areas around the museums are very crowded with people and cars. In any case, go and see Washington, it is a wonderful educational experience, there is so much to see. I never go that I don't learn something new. We are fortunate to have the Smithsonian museums. Enjoy!

Donna