• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SDO exchange- WTD?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
You also have 2 years from the time you "deposited" your units to exchange. So it gives you a LOT Of time to get something nice, especially with the aide of the Sightings Board here and at TS4Ms.

But if you have a fixed week and place in mind to travel, you might be better off requesting an ongoing search with II, where you specify the resorts and the weeks you are willing to exchange to.... The only downside to this is that if you are looking for a 2BR unit to exchange into, you will need to deposit 2BR to get it. So it's size for size, unlike the "bulk deposits" where even a studio unit can often grab a 2BR somewhere nice like Lagunamar or WKORV!

Katherine
I am SO proud! :D

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RED :banana:

When you see something you want, you can grab the unit right then and there -- you just hit exchange, pay the fee, and it will go into "pending confirmation" status.
YUP
II holds the trade for roughly 14 days (don't quote me on that timing -- they send a postcard if Starwood doesn't confirm right away but I can't remember the exact timing of the "we're going to cancel on X date if your resort doesn't confirm" message).
I did not know this - my advice would be to call Starwood the next business day and start the process of them 'confirming the deposit'

Then, the tricky part begins -- getting Starwood to deposit something of equivalent trading value. When I do grab a trade, it's with a week I've reserved --- it helps my argument (and, believe me, I've had to argue). I tell them they have to deposit the exact week I've reserved or something equivalent that will qualify for the same trade. I've had to get supervisors involved, but it's worked successfully.
As Jersey said, it is your right to deposit the week u reserved - and believe me, we are educating Starwood reps one at a time...but it is working at least for me....so when u call, let them know that u have used your RESERVED week to make an II exchange and u would just like them to confirm the deposit - give them your reservation number and they will confirm it has been deposited...I had a rep put me on hold after I told him I had deposited my week online with II - he said, you can't do that, I politely said yes I can.....he put me on hold, and came back and told me "I learn something new every day'

As more and more resale owners become aware of their ownership entitlements, it will be easier for everyone

Although most of their employees are pretty clueless about II trading, you can get them to understand that you won't get the trade if they deposit a crummy week.
Yup! you have to tell them a week in the desert in August isn't as good as a week in the desert in March - after a while, they catch on :clap:

Important note: I don't wait for the postcard -- I start calling Starwood immediately after trading to begin the process of getting them to confirm the week. It's painful -- I had hopes it was getting better after Pat (GrayFal) reported successfully depositing reserved weeks.
:banana: RED :banana:
Then, there were a few reports of Starwood denying deposits ... so I don't know what to expect this year as I move into "prime reservation season" for BP. It's extremely frustrating ... I own lots of weeks ... several different mini-systems, and Starwood is the ONLY one that makes the exchange process painful. Although I don't like it that they control deposits for SVN weeks, I understand that they have the right to do so -- it's written into the contract you sign.

But -- they have no right to control deposits for non-SVN weeks -- they can't have have their cake (deny membership to SVN) and eat it too (try to enforce SVN's rules).
Double Yup! :cheer:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The difference Uma :D is that Denise M's account is the 'dreaded' SVN account - you see MUCH more with your 'regular' II account with your NON-SVN Starwood weeks in it using both undeposited and deposited weeks.

Ah Ha! That really sucks! :annoyed: Not that I'd ever deposit the WKORV week. I guess I will just have to wait until the end of the year when I can deposit my SDO week.

Although when I tried to open a II Acct. online, I had problems with their interface... sigh..... so I don't have one yet.... :annoyed:

Thanks! :hi:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
all my 2008 weeks are being used or gone , how do i deposit a 2009 week?
my 2008 weeks are listed in the II account, can i use them to make an exchange but of course they are not available. does starwood then take my 2009 week?

so many questions.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
all my 2008 weeks are being used or gone , how do i deposit a 2009 week?
my 2008 weeks are listed in the II account, can i use them to make an exchange but of course they are not available. does starwood then take my 2009 week?

so many questions.
Take me to lunch and I will share all my secrets :cool:

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
Hey,

I'll be at Oakland's in Shinnecock on Thursday, would love to meet you guys.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey,

I'll be at Oakland's in Shinnecock on Thursday, would love to meet you guys.

i am free wed or thurs of this week. could meet you in riverhead.

If pointjunkies wouldn't mind traveling that far it would work for me - and I just had lunch with Arlene - maybe she would join us, too! :banana:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
i could meet in riverhead. meeting in the middle is good. so if that's ok . we could go to the lobster roll or that steak place nesr home depot( forgot the name)

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
don't know what i was thinking i can't go thursday, i have a DR. appointment in oceanside. the other direction.

wed or friday would work. wed would be best for me.

after that i work every day m-f at camp.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
If pointjunkies wouldn't mind traveling that far it would work for me - and I just had lunch with Arlene - maybe she would join us, too! :banana:

Oh, I am always up for food!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Friday is better for me but then we lose Blue Ayes!

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
so friday it is. where and when. i know how to get to the main drag in riverhead and to the lobster roll in riverhead. and that's about it.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
so Friday it is. where and when. i know how to get to the main drag in Riverhead and to the lobster roll in Riverhead. and that's about it.
Let's take it off line (Pm's) and decide later this evening, okay???

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
I'll be out on my boat Tuesday till Thursday. I am planing on coming back on Friday to take my son to camp on Sat. morn, so Friday will probably be a no go for me. But I am at Oakland's Marina 3-4 days a week in the summer ( I weekend in the Hamptons on my boat) meet me at the Tiki bar one day, I'll buy. That invitation is open to all East End or local Tuggers.

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Take me to lunch and I will share all my secrets :cool:

I am delighted to read where my thread has led :D
I am, however, very sorry to miss out on the trade secrets-

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been reading on this forum for a couple of weeks now, since winning an SDO EOY 2b/LO on ebay in May. As it is EOY even year, I presumably will be able to use a week this year. I would like to go to Maui in late Oct or first week of November. I emailed the resale company managing the transaction (timeshare freedom) and asked them to reserve a week for me, requesting a high demand week (knowing the likelihood of a reservation at this late date is low). My thought was to deposit both the 1br, and lockoff and see what I could get with II (at most there will be 4 traveling, and more likely just my daughter and I). If I can't get anything at least I can bank them for next year.

Any ideas? I know there are a lot of nice properties on Maui- recommendations for a good strategy?

Well I finally got a hold of the sellar who emailed me the transfer dept of the closing company would reserve a week for me. I spoke to them, and they said : "we have no obligation to make any reservations until after 90 days from the sale date"-ugh!!! The paperwork has not yet been submitted to the county for recording as yet. After that, I wait for starwood to recognize me as an owner, and then perhaps I can reserve a week. Once SVO records me as an owner, should I ask them to deposit my deeded week in '08 (wk 14) even though it has passed, and bank it with II. Can I do that?
:wall:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got a hold of the sellar who emailed me the transfer dept of the closing company would reserve a week for me. I spoke to them, and they said : "we have no obligation to make any reservations until after 90 days from the sale date"-ugh!!! The paperwork has not yet been submitted to the county for recording as yet. After that, I wait for starwood to recognize me as an owner, and then perhaps I can reserve a week. Once SVO records me as an owner, should I ask them to deposit my deeded week in '08 (wk 14) even though it has passed, and bank it with II. Can I do that?

Starwood took 1 hour to get me into thier system last week for two units.

Yes, they will deposit a week inot II for you. As long as you still have time in the season you own. If you do not have an existing II account, it will take up to 72 hours for them to create one for you.

Also, poor service from your closing company and the seller. No extra effort to make you happy. Technically, the seller is still the owner and could arrange things for you.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's really strange Denise. The vast majority of sightings I've posted over the years are with undeposited weeks, including the recent Lagunamar sighting. I can't imagine why your WKORV isn't seeing everything (at least the full 2-BR and the 1-BR side ... II is notoriously strict with studios). I've lost track of my corporate Harborside account number, but I remember checking it out (searching with an undeposited week) when I first got it and it saw everything one would expect it to see. I should be receiving my new WSJ card soon -- I'll check it out as well. Maybe your account isn't set up correctly. Next time I (or someone else) posts a bulk banking, if you can't see all of it with your 2-BR , and most of it (if not all of it) with your 1-BR side, you should call II right then and there ... something must be wrong.

I do the samething as you and see everything that you see(unless II acts up on me). I see the Starwood, Marriott and 4 seasons.

When I bought Lakeside Terrace, I signed up for my own account with II. I just put in the week that I booked for 2009(it's on deposit with SFX).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The paperwork has not yet been submitted to the county for recording as yet. After that, I wait for starwood to recognize me as an owner, and then perhaps I can reserve a week. Once SVO records me as an owner, should I ask them to deposit my deeded week in '08 (wk 14) even though it has passed, and bank it with II. Can I do that?

dr.debs - the county will send the recorded deed back to the closing company, who will send it to you. You can then FAX the recorded deed directly to Starwood yourself, which may speed up the process. The FAX number is in the Owner Resources sticky.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you see something you want, you can grab the unit right then and there -- you just hit exchange, pay the fee, and it will go into "pending confirmation" status. II holds the trade for roughly 14 days (don't quote me on that timing -- they send a postcard if Starwood doesn't confirm right away but I can't remember the exact timing of the "we're going to cancel on X date if your resort doesn't confirm" message). Then, the tricky part begins -- getting Starwood to deposit something of equivalent trading value. When I do grab a trade, it's with a week I've reserved --- it helps my argument (and, believe me, I've had to argue). I tell them they have to deposit the exact week I've reserved or something equivalent that will qualify for the same trade. I've had to get supervisors involved, but it's worked successfully. Although most of their employees are pretty clueless about II trading, you can get them to understand that you won't get the trade if they deposit a crummy week.

Important note: I don't wait for the postcard -- I start calling Starwood immediately after trading to begin the process of getting them to confirm the week. It's painful -- I had hopes it was getting better after Pat (grayfal) reported successfully depositing reserved weeks. Then, there were a few reports of Starwood denying deposits ... so I don't know what to expect this year as I move into "prime reservation season" for BP. It's extremely frustrating ... I own lots of weeks ... several different mini-systems, and Starwood is the ONLY one that makes the exchange process painful. Although I don't like it that they control deposits for SVN weeks, I understand that they have the right to do so -- it's written into the contract you sign. But -- they have no right to control deposits for non-SVN weeks -- they can't have have their cake (deny membership to SVN) and eat it too (try to enforce SVN's rules).

Hmm, I'm going to try this with my 2010 LT ski week.