• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you or anyone close to you ever gone to rehab for alcohol addiction?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed it was an old thread and a pp was asking about your son.

Hoping it is a positive update and all is well.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please keep him away from his so called drinking buddies & friends. Family needs to listen and not feel sorry for him.

Four or five years ago a big time alcoholic good friend of mine was found passed out on the floor of his home by his wife. He damn near died. His Daughter put him in rehab. He called me about 6 months ago about something very important and during the conversation said he hadn't had a drink since leaving rehab. He apologized for never calling but explained that while in rehab they told him never to talk with any of his old drinking buddies again. He was told "No Exceptions". He said he did what he was told and hasn't had a drink since. He apologized in advance and told me it was unlikely I would ever hear from him again...

George

Reactions: Tia

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our son has been doing well and has been sober for 2.5 years. He kept saying during rehab (3 years ago) that he was going to stop drinking "for now," which was his way of denying his issue. That caused him to slide a bit after he received his PE licensing (passed the test as a sober man who did study for it). I think he decided to celebrate and realized he really is an alcoholic, and we really weren't just exaggerating. So he quit drinking again on his own after a confrontation by a lot of angry family members. We really ganged up on him, kind of an intervention of sorts.

His wife didn't give up on him, and they even had a baby five months ago, a little boy to go with their 5-year-old daughter. So I am very blessed. He cannot believe he slipped after all of that. But I am always wary. You cannot ever be completely comfortable with an alcoholic in the family. He knows his life will be in ruin with another drink.

Sad. I never drank much and then started to drink just in Hawaii. I cannot do that ever again. It's just something I decided was totally optional.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Hopefully he has accepted his disease and realizes it's a daily struggle. I'm glad that he has straightened out.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No. But I have two close friends that needs to go. If you placed a a quart of liquor in front of them, they will not move until ever drop is gone.

But they would tell family members , that they are not alcoholics.

They needs help.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Hopefully he has accepted his disease and realizes it's a daily struggle. I'm glad that he has straightened out.
It's amazing how much it affects everything I do, and I didn't ever have an issue with drinking personally. I notice TV shows, where they have a heart-to-heart discussion and make up, and then, "Let's have a drink." It's rampant in our society, and for me, it's nonsense to make it such a huge part of TV and movies.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy, thank you for giving us an update, and thrilled your son has found the sober life. My nephew (age 36) just posted on FB that he is in his 11th month of sobriety. He was in danger of losing his family. I stand cheering for him (nervously).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talking about drinking, which I don't do alcohol because I just don't like alcohol. I was playing cards when one lady in her 80s called the server over to order drinks. There were 4 of us at the table, one person besides myself doesn't do alcohol. We had ice tea. This lady made a huge deal out of why we did not order alcohol and would not accept the answer that we just did not like alcohol. In this society it is taken for granted that having an alcoholic drink anytime and all the time is acceptable, and even the norm. She said she had to have her "drink" several times a day. Good for her that she has lived into her 80s. Her liver apparently has held up.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
So very glad to read, prayers.

Our son has been doing well and has been sober for 2.5 years. He kept saying during rehab (3 years ago) that he was going to stop drinking "for now," which was his way of denying his issue. That caused him to slide a bit after he received his PE licensing (passed the test as a sober man who did study for it). I think he decided to celebrate and realized he really is an alcoholic, and we really weren't just exaggerating. So he quit drinking again on his own after a confrontation by a lot of angry family members. We really ganged up on him, kind of an intervention of sorts.

His wife didn't give up on him, and they even had a baby five months ago, a little boy to go with their 5-year-old daughter. So I am very blessed. He cannot believe he slipped after all of that. But I am always wary. You cannot ever be completely comfortable with an alcoholic in the family. He knows his life will be in ruin with another drink.

Sad. I never drank much and then started to drink just in Hawaii. I cannot do that ever again. It's just something I decided was totally optional.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving. I am glad for you and your son. Hope each day is a good one.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
DWs youngest has ACHD, and was dependent on alcohol. His wife left him, taking their son to Paris. He struggled through a succession of jobs. Went to rehab 3-4 years ago. Joined AA. Went to meetings daily- often multiple times. He never had done anything 'half-way'. He 'discovered' physical training. Now he competes in Iron Man Triathlons, in the top 20% of his age group world wide. He just competed in Israel swimming 10 miles in the Sea of Galilea, cycling 120 miles over Golan Heights to the Dead Sea, and running a double marathon. He has absolutely ZERO desire for alcohol, and manages the IT for Burning Man.

He has come so far that we hardly recognize him. I'm not sure he recognizes the person he was.

Jim

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very happy to read the positive update!!!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Cindy, congratulations on your son's success. Drinking is pervasive on campus and for twenty-somethings for social gatherings so it is difficult to avoid.

FWIW...Some athletes fall into addictions when they stop the sport. Similarly it can be a healthy counterbalance to the addictions.

We enjoyed the movie, Rocketman about Sir Elton John. This chronicles his struggles with addictions early in his career and how he overcame them (plus the music can't be beat). It is amazing his talent still came through during his addiction years.

Last edited:

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prayers for you all. It's a terrible disease.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't question and do understand the difficulty alcoholics have in distancing themselves from alcohol. I am so fortunate not to have been one of them. After drinking heavily for 30 or 40 years, about 4 years ago I decided to give up ice cream and alcohol to help me lose weight. I was eating a pint of ice cream every afternoon and drinking a minium of 7 or 8 ozs of vodka every night. I stopped buying ice cream and poured three or four 1.5 liter bottles of vodka down the drain. Since then I have never eaten more than a spoonful of ice cream or drank a single drop of alcohol. My take is that it has to be in the genes...

PS Over time I was able to take my weight down from 205 to 155 pounds...

George

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are good friends with a couple. He drinks 2 bottles of wine per night, sometimes more. For most part he is pleasant but once in a while he gets moody and his wife also said once in a while he would be verbally abusive towards her.

His wife said his father was an alcoholic. One day he stopped drinking when he realized he was abusing his wife when he was drunk.

Our friend said she will ask his sister to intervene when she feels that his behavior is getting out of hand.

He is a nice person but he is definitely in denial that he is drinking too much. I don't know when he will stop drinking like his father, or maybe his liver will give out before that happens.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My alcoholic son in law was the most personable person I ever met. He never met someone he didn’t like, and they liked him.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My alcoholic son in law was the most personable person I ever met. He never met someone he didn’t like, and they liked him.
My brother-in-law, my sister's former husband, was like that. He was the nicest guy. He died of Parkinson's recently, about four years ago, and it was very sad. He was military in his younger years, and he was the easiest person to talk to about anything. Highly intelligent, well-spoken, extremely good looking, my grandma always said he looked like Rock Hudson. He lost his driver's license by the age of about 32 because he wouldn't stop driving drunk.

He nearly killed himself with alcohol, had some issues with his liver and pancreas that had him writhing in pain early in their marriage. My sister divorced him when my niece was about 3, my nephew was about 9, so 26 years ago. Then he got Parkinson's. He thought his shaking was because he needed a drink. His medication for Parkinson's required that he stop drinking completely, but I doubt he quit. He lived in Florida to be near his dad just before his death and was found in a ditch, almost dead. His kids went to see him before he died. They were convinced he was still drinking.

He gave up a good life with a woman who adored him and three wonderful kids (who are weird as a result of this letdown by their dad). So sad. My sister was a wreck during his funeral. I understood it.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother-in-law, my sister's former husband, was like that. He was the nicest guy. He died of Parkinson's recently, about four years ago, and it was very sad. He was military in his younger years, and he was the easiest person to talk to about anything. Highly intelligent, well-spoken, extremely good looking, my grandma always said he looked like Rock Hudson. He lost his driver's license by the age of about 32 because he wouldn't stop driving drunk.

He nearly killed himself with alcohol, had some issues with his liver and pancreas that had him writhing in pain early in their marriage. My sister divorced him when my niece was about 3, my nephew was about 9, so 26 years ago. Then he got Parkinson's. He thought his shaking was because he needed a drink. His medication for Parkinson's required that he stop drinking completely, but I doubt he quit. He lived in Florida to be near his dad just before his death and was found in a ditch, almost dead. His kids went to see him before he died. They were convinced he was still drinking.

He gave up a good life with a woman who adored him and three wonderful kids (who are weird as a result of this letdown by their dad). So sad. My sister was a wreck during his funeral. I understood it.
My son in law died at age 40, found dead on the street, leaving three wonderful boys who were 3, 6, and 9