• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pros and Cons of Cancun resorts

mash84121

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point, WorldMark
I'm looking to trade into Cancun through II. It will be my wife and I and two kids, 14 and 10 years old. We would prefer a two bedroom, but a one bedroom would also work for us. We plan on renting a car and going to some of the Mayan ruins, Xel-ha or Xplor as well as snorkeling and kayaking. We like to explore rather than just sit on the beach. I see a lot of availability and we are flexible with dates so I am not too worried about the exchange. I have been looking at the following resorts and more I am looking for pros and cons or recommendations for these resorts.

Westin Lagunamar
Royal Islander or Royal Cancun
Villa del Palmar
Vidanta Resorts in Riviera Maya

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the first 3 you listed are in the Hotel zone in Cancun. If you want to go to the ruins, you've got a lot further to travel than if you stayed further south (Riviera Maya like Vidanta, or even Playa del Carmen). Of course, I think most of the resorts in PDC are mandatory AI (Vidanta has no AI).

Same thing with going to Xel-ha, if I recall, it's a bit further since you're up "north" so to speak.

Although if you did do Vidanta, you'll pay an extra resort fee (I think for the 2 BR it's like $640 or something like that, I don't remember off the top of my head), on top of everything else (exchange fee, etc.), so that's a consideration.

I don't know about the last one (the Vistana resorts)

mash84121

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That last line was meant to be Vidanta, I have corrected it in the original post. We don't want AI, so I think any of these would work. Is the extra cost at the Vidanta resorts worth it? Some of the reviews said they didn't like how isolated the resorts are and how long it takes to get to your car.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
That last line was meant to be Vidanta, I have corrected it in the original post. We don't want AI, so I think any of these would work. Is the extra cost at the Vidanta resorts worth it? Some of the reviews said they didn't like how isolated the resorts are and how long it takes to get to your car.

Ah, OK.

So, I've not stayed at your first 3. I have stayed at Vidanta. If you can get into Grand Bliss or higher, IMO, the accommodations are much nicer (again, I've only based this on pictures of the others). Yes, the Vidanta isn't "close" to the action like the hotel zone is, but you stated specifically to visit ruins, Xel-ha, and Xplor, in which case, it's the closest of the 4 resorts. I'd say that you'd be looking at 1 hour travel time just to get from the hotel zone down to Vidanta's location, depending on traffic.

Although with the addition of the Jungala water park, and the Cirque du Soleil, it helps not feel as isolated.

IMO, the Vidanta resort is about "mid-way" (not quite, more like 40 minutes south of the airport and 20 minutes north of Playa, again depending on traffic) that you can take a taxi (or drive if you prefer, but that's not my cup of tea) to Playa or go up to Cancun.

But the 3 things you listed are all considerably south of Cancun (and thus "closer" to vidanta).

Now, is it worth the extra $6whatever that Vidanta charges by RCI/II access? I'm used to my $75 SFX fee, so I say "no". But if all I have was II/RCI, then I'd try most definitely to get Grand Luxxe. However, as an exchanger, the Riviera Maya location won't let you have access to the Beach Club, the Grand Luxxe pool, nor the Burger Custom Made (restaurant by Grand Luxxe Pool). So that sours it for me as well (even SFX gets restricted).

Nuevo Vallarta doesn't have the restrictions currently.

Hopefully others can chime into the other locations.

Note that I would have no problem staying at the Westin, if I was just wanting to be on the beach and stay up in Cancun.

Hope this helps somewhat.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The Villa del Palmar is out in Punta Sam. There is the car ferry next door making it easy to get to Isla Mujures. The resort is beautiful and has plenty of amenities. The beach is cleaned daily and is a white sand. The sea grass grows in the waters off this beach. Snorkeling is sea grass so some turtles and sea horse but really nothing much to see in the water in front of the resort. Off Isla Mujures there is great snorkeling and the resort does have tours available to the under water sea statues and Garrafon Park. Driving to Chicheitza is pretty easy on the toll road. We stayed the night at Mayaland Resort and saw the night viewing and we were allowed into the park an hour before it opened the next morning. Great for pictures.

Bill

petenjen

Reaction score
We're heading to the Grand Luxxe for Thanksgiving. Can't wait. We love the property and wish the sales group didn't do what they do to tarnish the resort... No sales presentation this time, for sure. :)

mash84121

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're heading to the Grand Luxxe for Thanksgiving. Can't wait. We love the property and wish the sales group didn't do what they do to tarnish the resort... No sales presentation this time, for sure. :)

We also will not be attending a sales presentation, regardless of where we go. When I'm on vacation I want to be on vacation.

What are some of the things you love about Grand Luxxe? Do you mostly stay on property? Do you rent a car?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Huge fan of Lagunamar. Great location and excellent service.

rpennisi

Reaction score
We also will not be attending a sales presentation, regardless of where we go. When I'm on vacation I want to be on vacation.

What are some of the things you love about Grand Luxxe? Do you mostly stay on property? Do you rent a car?

The resort fee, probably $640 for a two bedroom at Vidanta, so if you can get the Grand Luxxe make that trade. The GL is beautiful, probably the best accommodation you can get anywhere. Next would be the Grand Bliss, also very nice. Getting a rental car will be somewhat time consuming, but as mentioned, you are closer to the places you want to visit. Staying in Cancun will mean a lot more driving to and from. At Vidanta, it used to be that you self parked and no charge. Not anymore.
A full day of fun would be a trip to Xcaret. So much to do and see there, and their nighttime show is spectacular.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Islander is older, two bedrooms have a large balcony. Nice beach and great service from the staff. There is no smoking in the units, but no restrictions poolside or on the beach.

Lagunamar is more modern, all units have ocean view with washer and dryer, smoking only in designated areas. Great location with a great staff. The loungers by the pool are superior to the Islander. They also have several grills available for use by guests.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Have you rented cars in other foreign countries? We have and also in Cancun but probably would never do it again. So many online agencies that you can use to book excursions that are fairly cheap. Add in that while car rentals look cheep, they will try to scam you in to insurance or even require certain insurance costs on top of that cheap price. For us, it isn't worth the hassle anymore.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Vidanta’s resort fee in Riviera Maya is $420 for a 2 BR or larger, $252 for a 1 BR, and $168 for a studio. It’s the same for RCI, Registry Collection, and II. Just $75 if you use SFX. $42/day for Third Home. If you’re flexible on dates, best bet is through SFX. If you can’t deposit your week with them, you might ask someone like me that uses them to swap for an II deposit.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vidanta’s resort fee in Riviera Maya is $420 for a 2 BR or larger, $252 for a 1 BR, and $168 for a studio. It’s the same for RCI, Registry Collection, and II. Just $25 if you use SFX. $42/day for Third Home. If you’re flexible on dates, best bet is through SFX. If you can’t deposit your week with them, you might ask someone like me that uses them to swap for an II deposit.

Yes, sorry I looked at the NV line instead of the RM line per your earlier post:

Location - studio-hotel - 1BR - 2+BR
Nuevo Vallarta & Los Cabos - $252 - $378 - $630
Riviera Maya & Puerto Vallarta - $168 - $252 - $420
Acapulco - $126 - $210 - $336

Although the SFX fee is $75, not the $25.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Yes, sorry I looked at the NV line instead of the RM line per your earlier post:

Oops, typo. Fixed it.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

In 2017 our guests paid $11 a day each or $66 a day total to stay at the RM property. Then there were some other charges that brought the total up to about $600 for the week. My guests used our vip tickets to the Joya show with dinner. They still fondly talk about the show.

Bill

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In 2017 our guests paid $11 a day each or $66 a day total to stay at the RM property. Then there were some other charges that brought the total up to about $600 for the week. My guests used our vip tickets to the Joya show with dinner. They still fondly talk about the show.

Bill

That changed last in October of 2018, I believe. The other charges were likely room taxes and a regional environmental fee/tax. Fairly minor, but they do add up.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I love Westin Lagunamar.
I’ve been there 3 times. The 1 bedroom premiums are pretty spacious. Love the modern furnishings and floor to ceiling windows. Most villas have ocean view. Great water slide into separate big pool for kids. Beautiful pools overall.

don’t need a car there. The biggest shopping/dining plaza is right Across the street. La Isla. Also other good restaurants in walking distance. We took the bus to town and to grocery store.
Read on the Vistana board for more info

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For the most part, I'm not a fan of Cancun or the Cancun beach resorts. I'm not a fan of the VDP north of Cancun. I really only like the southern areas of the Yucatan including Cozumel and I'm not really a big fan of these areas or resorts either. The only redeeming thing this entire area has for me is under water. If it wasn't for the best scuba and snorkeling in these areas the only attractions I like would be a bunch of stacked rocks, beaches if they aren't covered with sea weed and a few parks.

Another con is the land is very flat and it can really rain. Then come the mosquitoes.

Bill

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
That is very good to know. I don't that takes Royal Islander off the list for us.
Not true. Royal Sands and Royal Haciendas require AI for exchangers via II. Royal Islander and Royal Cancun make AI optional for II exchanges

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal Islander DOES NOT have mandatory AI for exchangers. Personally we like the beach Beyer in Cancun than in the Mayan Riviera. I am not a fan of Lagunamar. Their beach is not as nice as the Royal Islander. There are excellent restaurants within walking distance of both the Islander and Lagunamar.

mash84121

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not true. Royal Sands and Royal Haciendas require AI for exchangers via II. Royal Islander and Royal Cancun make AI optional for II exchanges

The Royal Islander DOES NOT have mandatory AI for exchangers. Personally we like the beach Beyer in Cancun than in the Mayan Riviera. I am not a fan of Lagunamar. Their beach is not as nice as the Royal Islander. There are excellent restaurants within walking distance of both the Islander and Lagunamar.

Thanks for confirming this. I was a little confused as II does not indicate mandatory AI for Royal Islander or Royal Cancun. Between Islander and Cancun, is there one that you prefer more than the other?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Islander better. Although the water is rougher, it is in a far better location— closer to restaurants and shopping.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
If you are looking for a small resort with a great location where evrything is closed ( supermarkets, restaurants, bars, night clubs, ferry, bus, etc), with the best staff in Cancun, this is Fiesta Americana, It’s not new but they are working hard to refurbish it. And if you find a beach with very quiet water like this, special for kids let me know.

Attachments

• 8677D981-B155-4B62-98CE-995B10337018.jpeg
    8677D981-B155-4B62-98CE-995B10337018.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 48