• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Santa Barbara or Sea Gardens in FLL

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will be in FLL for 2 days and both have availability. Which resort would tuggers recommend.

TIA

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
The one bedrooms at Santa Barbara are huge (literally the same size as the 2 bedroom with a pull out couch in the bedroom and two balconies) and you can use Royal Vista's beach access by walking across the street. Sea Gardens was partially built in the 60s and a lot of the grounds look like a motel. I would personally pick Santa Barbara.The pictures are of a refurbished 1 BR deluxe.

upload_2019-10-12_18-45-15.png

upload_2019-10-12_18-46-25.png

upload_2019-10-12_18-47-7.png

upload_2019-10-12_18-47-36.png

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I agree with cbyrne although we have stayed at Sea Gardens only once. We were in the Key West building, south of the main building with the "gardens" and felt more remote than it was. The unit was a bit tired and worn, the balcony overlooked nothing (a little pool).

OTOH, we've stayed at Santa Barbara more times that I can count. We've owned a Week 1 and a Week 30 for quite a few years. One is a 2BR, the other 1BR. As cbyrne notes, they are the same size, having been created from two hotel units. All that happened is a second BR was carved out using some space from the existing BR and the living area. That's also why the 1BR units have two baths (two hotel units).

Two reasons I like Santa Barbara. One, Royal Vista is just up the street and the pool complex and tiki bar there are way better than at Santa Barbara. Beach access can be through Royal Vista or directly across the street from Santa Barbara. Silly as it sounds, the other reason I like Santa Barbara is the little strip shopping center just north of the resort. Stingers is a beach bar, burger/pizza joint tucked back in the corner, open for B, L, & D. A five minute walk to Stingers is an awfully convenient alternative to putting a car on the road. Probably won't make much difference to OP, who will be there for just two nights.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Santa Barbara, the others have detailed the reasons

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I stayed at Sea Gardens in September, and I liked it but Santa Barbara does sound better. There were no openings there for the week I wanted though. I'm probably going back next year and I will try to book earlier to check Santa Barbara out.

But I had to post that I ordered a pie for delivery from Stingers since I wasn't within walking distance. The pizza was pretty good, especially for Florida, and it was delivered pretty quickly and was still hot, but later when I looked at the charge slip, I saw that they add on a $2.00 "packaging fee", presumably for delivery only. I'm not cheap, but I hate hidden fees. I'm mentioning it only because I'm still annoyed!! Airline baggage fees, hotel resort fees, cable "regional sports" and "local channels" fees, and now Pizza Packaging fees? Where does it end?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Sea Gardens in September, and I liked it but Santa Barbara does sound better. There were no openings there for the week I wanted though. I'm probably going back next year and I will try to book earlier to check Santa Barbara out.

But I had to post that I ordered a pie for delivery from Stingers since I wasn't within walking distance. The pizza was pretty good, especially for Florida, and it was delivered pretty quickly and was still hot, but later when I looked at the charge slip, I saw that they add on a $2.00 "packaging fee", presumably for delivery only. I'm not cheap, but I hate hidden fees. I'm mentioning it only because I'm still annoyed!! Airline baggage fees, hotel resort fees, cable "regional sports" and "local channels" fees, and now Pizza Packaging fees? Where does it end?

While I have never heard it called a packaging fee before, I think every pizza I have had delivered for at least the last 10-15 years has included a delivery fee. No pizza places deliver for free anymore.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I stayed at Sea Gardens in September, and I liked it but Santa Barbara does sound better. There were no openings there for the week I wanted though. I'm probably going back next year and I will try to book earlier to check Santa Barbara out. <snip>

If you are able to make reservations sufficiently in advance, try to book Royal Vista.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. I really appreciate it. Santa Barbara it is. Will update once back.

Unfortunately I have no access to royal vista as I am booking from Worldmark and do not want to use club pass.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
Like others I prefer Royal Vista over the others but for me Sea Gardens and Santa Barbara are a toss up. I like the Garden area at Sea Gardens a lot but it did seem to have a lot of kids at the center pool when I've been there. Santa Barbara rooms are nicer and like others have said you can walk right over to Royal Vista.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all. I really appreciate it. Santa Barbara it is. Will update once back.

Unfortunately I have no access to royal vista as I am booking from Worldmark and do not want to use club pass.

Would I be out if line if I suggested renting from a VIP. (Sorry!! I couldn't resist!)

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
This would be an option I used in the past once plans firm out. I have Santa Barbara booked for now.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would I be out if line if I suggested renting from a VIP. (Sorry!! I couldn't resist!)
It is cheaper to rent from a VIP who passes along the 50% discounts and upgrades. I hear the new privileges will take this discount to 65%. I can taste the savings!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is cheaper to rent from a VIP who passes along the 50% discounts and upgrades. I hear the new privileges will take this discount to 65%. I can taste the savings!
I like saving $ its like eating apple pie and flying the American flag.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I called Palm Aire to see if I could stay there and use Royal Vista amenities with WM points when I was researching if I wanted to buy into it. Even though Royal Vista is Club Wyndham, you still get access to the property if you book through WorldMark. So with a Santa Barbara reservation, you still can walk across the street to get access to Royal Vista's amenities.

I plan on using a lot of bonus time/inventory specials in Orlando, Daytona and Ft. Lauderdale; that's 15%-25% off (factoring in houskeeping) just being a WorldMark resale owner. You don't have to rent from/be a VIP to get awesome discounts.

1 Bedroom at Santa Barbara in Sept:

Santa Barbara CWA VIP Gold Owner at 35% off:
(0.65)(94.5)(6.57) = $403 per week

WorldMark Resale Owner Inventory Special/Bonus Time:
(0.069)(5,900) = $407 per week

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called Palm Aire to see if I could stay there and use Royal Vista amenities with WM points when I was researching if I wanted to buy into it. Even though Royal Vista is Club Wyndham, you still get access to the property if you book through WorldMark. So with a Santa Barbara reservation, you still can walk across the street to get access to Royal Vista's amenities.

I plan on using a lot of bonus time/inventory specials in Orlando, Daytona and Ft. Lauderdale; that's 15%-25% off (factoring in houskeeping) just being a WorldMark resale owner. You don't have to rent from/be a VIP to get awesome discounts.

1 Bedroom at Santa Barbara in Sept:

Santa Barbara CWA VIP Gold Owner at 35% off:
(0.65)(94.5)(6.57) = $403 per week

WorldMark Resale Owner Inventory Special/Bonus Time:
(0.069)(5,900) = $407 per week

It works the other way, too. If you're at Royal Vista and want to play golf, hop on the shuttle to Palm-Aire.