• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Staying on Disney Property

dja1980

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village
Hi All,

My family and I are looking to book a Disney vacation in October of 2020. We've been owners at Orlando Tuscany Village since 2011 (thanks to this forum), and we stay at our home resort annually. However, we've been holding off on going to Disney until our girls are 7 & 8. And, since 2020 marks that time, we figured it might be fun to stay on Disney property to get the full Disney experience. We're just in the beginning stages of planning, but one thing we've never done is exchanged thru RCI... so I figured it might be worth reaching out to see if anyone who has some experience in this area can give us some pointers. Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance... Dave & Vanessa

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My family and I are looking to book a Disney vacation in October of 2020. We've been owners at Orlando Tuscany Village since 2011 (thanks to this forum), and we stay at our home resort annually. However, we've been holding off on going to Disney until our girls are 7 & 8. And, since 2020 marks that time, we figured it might be fun to stay on Disney property to get the full Disney experience. We're just in the beginning stages of planning, but one thing we've never done is exchanged thru RCI... so I figured it might be worth reaching out to see if anyone who has some experience in this area can give us some pointers. Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance... Dave & Vanessa

Well You certainly can exchange into Disney. However you should only expect to get a 1Br at Saratoga springs as that is all that Disney is depositing. Sometimes you will also find Okw or akv but they are rare. Your checkin days are Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

This year Disney have deposited October around 5-7 months in advance and it seems that they continue to do so with other dates. For comparison Easter 2020 was just deposited.

I recommend that you setup an ongoing search in RCI so you get sort of first dips at the inventory when it’s deposited.

I also recommend that when we reach 7 month before check that you start checking RCI for any available dvc inventory.

Remember that there will be a $190 fee payable when you checkin.

Mizzou39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Tuscany, HGVC Parc Soliel
Cyberc - can you explain the point exchange for DVC? In other words how many HGV points are required for a stay at Sarasota Springs?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Cyberc - can you explain the point exchange for DVC? In other words how many HGV points are required for a stay at Sarasota Springs?
There is a standard exchange point table for all RCI resorts. For high season, a 2BR is 4800 points, and a 1BR is 3400 points.

I would second the recommendation of setting up an ongoing search in RCI now. October is a surprisingly popular time for Disney, so you want to be in the queue as early as possible to get a match in RCI.

Kurt

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
There is a standard exchange point table for all RCI resorts. For high season, a 2BR is 5000 points, and a 1BR is 3400 points.

I would second the recommendation of setting up an ongoing search in RCI now. October is a surprisingly popular time for Disney, so you want to be in the queue as early as possible to get a match in RCI.

Kurt
I thought a 2br trade was 4800 hgvc points. Did it change recently as my last HGVC trade was over 3 years ago?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I thought a 2br trade was 4800 hgvc points. Did it change recently as my last HGVC trade was over 3 years ago?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

You are correct. It is still 4800 points for a 2 bedroom.

Mizzou39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you trade for less than a week? We would also probably not be look at high season since kids start college next fall (Yeah!!!) I would use this as a quick getaway with my wife.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I have nothing to add to the specific nuances of this discussion as we have never done, and would never need, to do this. We own at DVC, so we use those points.

With that said, we are two adults, no kids (mrs. brp debates the "no kids" thing, and I may be inclined to agree with her). With, or without, kids, there is nothing like staying on the Disney properly. I've done it multiple times both ways and, to me, there is no comparison. Yeah, off-site resorts can be of better quality for the money/points. But if the goal is Disney, really nothing like being here (says the man leaving for WDW in about 2 weeks :))

Cheers.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek might be be a viable alternative if you cannot book a Disney timeshare but still insist on being on the Disney property. However, you would then be staying in hotel room rather than a timeshare. Transportation from Tuscany Village to any of the Orlando theme parks is easy to arrange. We visited Epcot, Universal, and Sea World during our last trip to Orlando in 2017. Four of our close friends have taken Disney Cruises out of Orlando after a hotel stay on the Disney property. They traveled with children and loved it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Can you trade for less than a week? We would also probably not be look at high season since kids start college next fall (Yeah!!!) I would use this as a quick getaway with my wife.

Absolutely. There are search filters on the left side of the RCI portal screen, there is one for length of stay, pick 1-6 days. By doing this you are searching points inventory, not weeks. I dont believe you can set an OGS for points inventory however. The shorter stays cost less in exchange fees, pro-rated by days.

If you join TUG and monitor the Sightings forum you will see messages reporting some of these unicorns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can’t exchange into Disney for less than 7 days. You are allowed to checkout our earlier or arrive later if you prefer. However you still pay for all 7 nights.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought DVC had a regional block, thus not allowing OP that already owns in Orlando to exchange into it. I could be wrong......

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought DVC had a regional block, thus not allowing OP that already owns in Orlando to exchange into it. I could be wrong......

That is true, however with mini systems like HGVC the points all originate from the same place, therefore any regional block from any resort is invalidated.

So RCI nor the resorts can see where the hgvc points are coming from.

Mizzou39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Absolutely. There are search filters on the left side of the RCI portal screen, there is one for length of stay, pick 1-6 days. By doing this you are searching points inventory, not weeks. I dont believe you can set an OGS for points inventory however. The shorter stays cost less in exchange fees, pro-rated by days.

If you join TUG and monitor the Sightings forum you will see messages reporting some of these unicorns.

Dave - please don't laugh at me... I am a TUG member but have never been able to find the Sightings forum. Can you tell me where to find it?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Dave - please don't laugh at me... I am a TUG member but have never been able to find the Sightings forum. Can you tell me where to find it?

From the main tugbbs page its the very last forum in the list, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom. Here is a direct link.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/sightings-distressed.3/

You will see several recent titled RCI Points, those can be booked for less than 7 days.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are showing as a guest under your name. That means you aren't really set up as a member. If you've already paid the $15. there's instructions on how to change the title under your name at the top of this page.

Mizzou39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are showing as a guest under your name. That means you aren't really set up as a member. If you've already paid the $15. there's instructions on how to change the title under your name at the top of this page.
Ok, hopefully I have that corrected now. Thank you!

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
Does Disney have Studio for trade also or just mainly the 1 bdrm SSR mentioned above?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Does Disney have Studio for trade also or just mainly the 1 bdrm SSR mentioned above?

See thread above about becoming a TUG member and viewing the sightings board. It has a great Disney stickey on it. 1BRs are all that have been spotted through RCI for some time.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes only 1br and mainly for SSR.

However last week there was 1BR inventory at BWV, BRV, OKW and AKV too. First time in years that I have seen AKV, BWV and BRV available.

Those sightings was posted in the sighting forum for members only but are all gone now.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek might be be a viable alternative if you cannot book a Disney timeshare but still insist on being on the Disney property. However, you would then be staying in hotel room rather than a timeshare. Transportation from Tuscany Village to any of the Orlando theme parks is easy to arrange. We visited Epcot, Universal, and Sea World during our last trip to Orlando in 2017. Four of our close friends have taken Disney Cruises out of Orlando after a hotel stay on the Disney property. They traveled with children and loved it.

Along those lines, Wyndham Bonnet Creek is "on property" that is, beyond the welcome gates (but isn't connected via Monorail or a Disney ran facility). Probably pretty easy to get in there with RCI. We stayed there last year, it's a traditional Timeshare style accommodation - kitchen, W/D, etc. loved it.

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
While Bonnet creek is nearby and a better value in my mind it's not the same as staying on property (as defined by disney). If your visit to orlando is to visit the house of the mouse there are a couple of things that make staying in a disney property worthwhile, First is access to fast passes at 60 days and second is extra magic hours and finally if you stay at DVC you can park at the parks and resorts for free as well as use the airport transportation for free. For those things I find the premium worthwhile. To the OP Join TUG the sighting board has a great deal of info on trading into disney. I too have DVC points but I also trade in most years thru RCI. My girls can't get enough disney.