• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Family outraged after a Universal character made 'OK' symbol on 6-year-old's shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...spicable-me-actor-after-ok-symbol/3791483002/

'OK' hand gesture added to growing list of hate symbols for white supremacy
"The gesture is widely known for saying things are "good-to-go." It has now been added to a database by the Anti-Defamation League. The ADL says the sign has been hijacked."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...hand-gesture-hate-symbol-database/3772950002/

Yes, it is an ever changing world we live in. Please educate yourself and those around you.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I recently heard that giving the piece sign, you know the one, two fingers in the air, in a picture, can give away your finger prints to hackers. I don't know if they can or can't but it makes me wonder.

Bill

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...om-photos-taken-from-up-to-three-meters-away/

Wow! What about hailing a cab? Or pointing out directions to someone? Or referees and umpires? We may all need to start wearing gloves at all times!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
who knew all divers were all white supremacists?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well, the fact that so many people think it's a normal, mundane hand symbol is WHY it was chosen. When someone does it, the hand shapes look like WP for 'white power'. That's how they were able to sneak it into photos and spread it without getting caught for so long.

If you click through and look at the Disney photo, you can see how it's clearly a racist symbol and how it differs from a regular OK symbol. Do your research before you just comment on stuff that you don't personally have to worry about. Black people and Jewish people and people who love them have known about this symbol and recognize it for what it is - hate.

Don't worry about doing it innocently. People can usually tell who is doing it in the bad way and who is doing it to mean OK. Alternatively, switch to the American Sign Language OK, where you spell out O and K.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

Attachments

• 57479842-803C-4001-B7BE-2D8F9347C955.jpeg
    57479842-803C-4001-B7BE-2D8F9347C955.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perplexed about bowlcuts being a racist symbol. About half of Asian-Americans had bowlcuts as children. This is getting bizarre.

Last edited:

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
As a parent, I understand the family's anger about this situation. As you look at the photo and video, it's clear that this was a conscious act by the character actor to demean an innocent child who happens to be biracial. It's not a joke or an accidental placement of the actor's hand....it's a sneaky way to show disrespect.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the fact that so many people think it's a normal, mundane hand symbol is WHY it was chosen. When someone does it, the hand shapes look like WP for 'white power'. That's how they were able to sneak it into photos and spread it without getting caught for so long.

If you click through and look at the Disney photo, you can see how it's clearly a racist symbol and how it differs from a regular OK symbol. Do your research before you just comment on stuff that you don't personally have to worry about. Black people and Jewish people and people who love them have known about this symbol and recognize it for what it is - hate.

Thank you. You are absolutely correct that there is a clear difference between a regular OK symbol and this white power symbol.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...spicable-me-actor-after-ok-symbol/3791483002/

'OK' hand gesture added to growing list of hate symbols for white supremacy
"The gesture is widely known for saying things are "good-to-go." It has now been added to a database by the Anti-Defamation League. The ADL says the sign has been hijacked."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...hand-gesture-hate-symbol-database/3772950002/

Yes, it is an ever changing world we live in. Please educate yourself and those around you.

Thanks for sharing :)

Don't worry about doing it innocently. People can usually tell who is doing it in the bad way and who is doing it to mean OK. Alternatively, switch to the American Sign Language OK, where you spell out O and K.

Thanks for your comment. Totally agree.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
White supremacists are real, repugnant and dangerous. They are true modern day terrorists. They need to crawl back under the hole they came out of. This behavior was unacceptable until a couple years ago and now it’s back. Disgusting, and with social media it’s leading to violence and deaths. Decent society needs to call this out each and every time.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a parent, I understand the family's anger about this situation. As you look at the photo and video, it's clear that this was a conscious act by the character actor to demean an innocent child who happens to be biracial. It's not a joke or an accidental placement of the actor's hand....it's a sneaky way to show disrespect.
I may have to stand corrected. From the photo itself, it looks innocent. From the video, it is intentional as it’s there for 10 seconds. Guess I learned something new.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. I've known about the hijacking of the 'OK' handsign into the very conscious WP for at least a couple of years. It needs to be called out when seen and corrected. Just be careful. Those making the intentional WP symbol don't take kindly to being called out.

For the curious, in an OK sign, the tip of the thumb touches at or very close to the tip of the index finger, the other fingers following the index fingers' curve. In the WP 'sign', the thumb touches the last joint on the index finger, making a 'P' while the three other fingers splay out, making a 'W'.

Jim

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Horrible. Just as bad or similiar as Crip walking at the Olympics or in music videos.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The kids I know that came back from Afghanistan told me that the thumbs up means the same as the middle finger to the Afghanies. They brought this thumbs up meaning back to the states, so when a soldier that was deployed in the Middle East gives you a thumbs up when you are being an idiot, it is just a nicer middle finger gesture.

Bill

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be careful people and do not give any hand gestures anymore or you may hurt someone feeling.

Is it OK to say Hello to a stranger in the year 2019?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the the things we did and said when I was a kid in the late 40s, early 50s are offensive today. We often referred to each other with ethnic terms. Back then no one cared. It was the norm...

George

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I learned something new today!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be careful people and do not give any hand gestures anymore or you may hurt someone feeling.

Did you look at the photos and the video?

geekette

Reaction score
Honestly a tough one for me. I am likely to forget from time to time because it has always been OK.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Who cares. I'm not even giving this crap one thought.

I'm with Sea Six. I really don't care.

Bill

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned something new today too. Had no idea.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the the things we did and said when I was a kid in the late 40s, early 50s are offensive today. We often referred to each other with ethnic terms. Back then no one cared. It was the norm...

George
I am Asian American. I have never liked people calling me “oriental”. Oriental describes a type of rug. Something that people walk on.

Status
Not open for further replies.