• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you love Marriott or are you beginning to dislike them

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m a legacy weeks owner. I bought three weeks in the early 90s I loved it. I could trade one of my weeks for a week at any Marriott hotel in the world this is what I was told it was great. Now that same week will get me maybe two nights at a category six hotel And probably five nights if I’m lucky had a Fairfield Inn not exactly what I was told when I spent $30,000 and financed with Marriott. But that’s the way it goes when you don’t read the fine print. So we went to an info meeting lol. Just to let us in on all the wonderful news. They are buying Westin Hilton II and something else. Sounds great but you’re a leagacy weeks owner. What a bummer. You need to buy points to be able to participate in this great news. 2000 pts for a measly price of 28000 dollars what a deal. Two hrs later and 3 pissed off sales people we got our gift and left. This was once a great company now they aren’t. I’m glad I bought where I love to go. Soon my platinum week will only get me a night at a great hotel. End of rant

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m a legacy weeks owner. I bought three weeks in the early 90s I loved it. I could trade one of my weeks for a week at any Marriott hotel in the world this is what I was told it was great. Now that same week will get me maybe two nights at a category six hotel And probably five nights if I’m lucky had a Fairfield Inn not exactly what I was told when I spent $30,000 and financed with Marriott. But that’s the way it goes when you don’t read the fine print. So we went to an info meeting lol. Just to let us in on all the wonderful news. They are buying Westin Hilton II and something else. Sounds great but you’re a leagacy weeks owner. What a bummer. You need to buy points to be able to participate in this great news. 2000 pts for a measly price of 28000 dollars what a deal. Two hrs later and 3 pissed off sales people we got our gift and left. This was once a great company now they aren’t. I’m glad I bought where I love to go. Soon my platinum week will only get me a night at a great hotel. End of rant
The option to convert your week to Marriott Rewards (now Bonvoy) points for use at Marriott hotels has certainly been devalued significantly over the years and we never use that option any more.
As a long time weeks owner though, you do have the option of enrolling your week(s) in the DC points programme probably at no charge and without buying expensive points, which would give you additional options.
This might at least be worth looking at to see if it offers you benefits you might be interested in.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you bought in the early 90's, you can enroll your weeks in the destinations club virtually for free.

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
Already did the enrollment when they first offered. And yes it does work well. But will they start to devalue the weeks pt. Value in the future? But the cheerful salesman told us that legacy pts won’t work for the other companies they are acquiring. You will need to buy trust pts to participate. He literally said legacy week owners are at the end of the line.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Already did the enrollment when they first offered. And yes it does work well. But will they start to devalue the weeks pt. Value in the future? But the cheerful salesman told us that legacy pts won’t work for the other companies they are acquiring. You will need to buy trust pts to participate. He literally said legacy week owners are at the end of the line.

There is no reason to assume that trust points will freely participate in any "merger" of Westin or Hyatt units into the destination club (nor is there any reason to assume that there will be a merger to begin with; it was just sales talk and you were wise to resist it).

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been no devaluation of the weeks pt in the nearly 10 years since points were introduced.
Why should there be in future, this is just sales scaremongering.
Who knows how inter company bookings will work in future - your salesman certainly doesn’t.
It is just possible that enrolled weeks elected points may work differently to trust points for these, but they quite probably will work just the same.
Until MVC corporate make any announcement about this in 2020, I will not worry about it at all.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love or not love...I think it depends on when and what you bought. I, too, bought Weeks in the 90s and loved Marriott. As they started devaluing what I bought I sold my Weeks and am glad I did. But I'll admit I don't understand the "New" Marriott so will not pass judgement on it...

George

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparatively, we are recent owners of Marriott timesahre weeks and points. We love our Marriott timeshare when we first bought and we stil love them.

I was a huge fan of the Marriott hotel system due to my years of business travel. That translated into why we bought Marriott late as it took many years to convince my husband that Marriott, hotel and timeshare, was a good brand. He hated Marriott for years.

Now in 2019, after the hotel merger and being Bonvoyed many times and having spent another 2 hours on the phone with Marriott's so-callled Titanium line yesterday and expect another hour with them today, we hate the Marriott hotel end.

Three days ago we were planning to buy 3000 points in the resale market to get us to the Chairman's Club level and after yesterday's call to Marriott Bonvoy line, we decided that we just won't do it. While they are 2 separate companies, they are linked together by the hotel points for spending, nights stayed etc, and issues on the hotel side is escalating after the hotel merger.

We still love Marriott timeshare end and feel that it is a good system.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott like most companies really only cares about their profit margin so it's no surprise things have gone up in price and devalued because that increases their bottom line. Like everything in business it is "buyer beware" and if it doesn't bring value then don't buy it or sell it if you can.

I've accepted long ago that is the way everything goes so figured out a way to make it work for me as a legacy owner of 27 Marriott weeks and it still does in a big way but I'm not the norm so i can see how many have become very disenchanted.

I did enroll 4 weeks in the DC program but don't see myself ever using DC points because although the program provides tremendous flexibility it comes at a very significant cost in points that only seems to make sense to me in very limited situations so I have no concern about using it. Even if they add the top locations of these other programs to the mix I anticipate the cost in points will be so significant that I can't see how it will be worth it.

Many people have bought into the hype and I do see some making it work but other than being able to do shorter or non-conventional day intervals ie 5 or 10 days, or getting that dream prime unit by using mega points, I think what is accomplished can be done much cheaper by owning good legacy weeks.

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the places I’ve been to. I love the place I bought into. It’s just wrong to tell loyal customers they don’t count. And to say they won’t devalue weeks I hope you’re right. It took a while to devalue hotel pts. I was sad when they bought Starwood and messed up their system. And I know if their lips are moving they are lying

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We still enjoy Marriott's, but we do not understand all the new features of Bonvoy.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I love the places I’ve been to. I love the place I bought into. It’s just wrong to tell loyal customers they don’t count. And to say they won’t devalue weeks I hope you’re right. It took a while to devalue hotel pts. I was sad when they bought Starwood and messed up their system. And I know if their lips are moving they are lying
How do you use your weeks each year? What are your weeks? There are still amazing trades through II which is totally free for you. With 3 weeks, locking off you can get up to 6 weeks a year at great places for no extra cost.

You mentioned hotel and dc points, but trading is the best value in almost all cases. I think you don't know what you are missing. Everyone would love to help you maximize your usage and value.

Last edited:

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course none of us "like" not getting what we used to get. When we bought we could elect 110,000 hotel points (then called Marriott Rewards points). Before we bought our timeshares we knew the MR hotel point chart would change every year or two. It has. I'm still getting the same "point" amount if I elect hotel points that I originally agreed to. Why would I expect the nightly price of a hotel to be the same as it was 20-years ago? I knew the hotel chart game when I bought.

Of course the result has been I have only elected hotel points once or twice over the years because it simply wasn't ever the best value. The best value has always been, and forever will always be, actually using your timeshare.

We have loved our timeshare stays. My two dislikes are: 1. The presentations are no longer as professional and dignified and some instances have been painful. 2. My biggest peeve is the Interval upgrade charge when I use a one bedroom (high season) and receive a two bedroom (low season). They should be thrilled I'm giving up an in demand unit and taking a unit that probably would have been empty.

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you use your weeks each year? What are your weeks? There are still amazing trades through II which is totally free for you. With 3 weks, locking off you can get up to 6 weeks a year at great places for no extra cost.

You mentioned hotel and dc points, but trading is the best value in almost all cases. I think you don't know what you are missing. Eveyone would love to helo you maxixmize your usage and value.
I use dc pts all the time. And realize all you can do with them. Perhaps I should have been clearer it’s simply being told you don’t count is wrong.

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course none of us "like" not getting what we used to get. When we bought we could elect 110,000 hotel points (then called Marriott Rewards points). Before we bought our timeshares we knew the MR hotel point chart would change every year or two. It has. I'm still getting the same "point" amount if I elect hotel points that I originally agreed to. Why would I expect the nightly price of a hotel to be the same as it was 20-years ago? I knew the hotel chart game when I bought.

Of course the result has been I have only elected hotel points once or twice over the years because it simply wasn't ever the best value. The best value has always been, and forever will always be, actually using your timeshare.

We have loved our timeshare stays. My two dislikes are: 1. The presentations are no longer as professional and dignified and some instances have been painful. 2. My biggest peeve is the Interval upgrade charge when I use a one bedroom (high season) and receive a two bedroom (low season). They should be thrilled I'm giving up an in demand unit and taking a unit that probably would have been empty.
You’re right

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Perhaps I should have been clearer it’s simply being told you don’t count is wrong.
Yeah, the best response to that is...
Years ago, you told me what I was buying when I bought it was great. Now you are telling me what I currently own is bad, and that I need to buy your new toy for what I already own to be great again. Why would I spend more money with you when in a few years, you are going to tell me what I purchased today sucks. It makes no sense.

If anything, perhaps it would get his lips to stop moving. ;-)

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the record I’m at GO it’s a beautiful day traded a bronze week that Marriott gave me when I bought the platinum week so there is no complaint there. Also using dc pts for more days. But had to laugh when they couldn’t understand why I didn’t want to spend 28000 more. They also told me only 50 weeks at GO are legacy owners everyone else also own the trust so what’s the matter with us.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I do not own Marriott timeshares and never have. On the other hand I have stayed at many of their timeshares and too many of their hotels to count! Do I like Marriott?? I LOVE Marriott!! I am kicked back at one of their hotels right now in England at Hanbury Manor and loving every second of it! Especially the breakfast buffet. Yummy! Also, was upgraded to a Jr. Suite and I only booked the standard room and did not have to use any Suite Nights :) Yes, I am a big Marriott lover.
I actually always book the standard room whatever Marriott hotel I am at and am very rarely not upgraded. If I'm not upgraded it usually because the hotel is sold out. DH swears I have a secret sign I am wearing that says please upgrade to very nice room:)

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still love them. I've got a good portfolio, double down on Bonvoy as Titanium, and use the Chase Bonvoy card. Worth every penny to me. I've had nothing but great vacations for the last 20 plus years and will do so for as long as I'm able. Gaining more brands just makes it better.

Reactions: jme

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I love my Marriott timeshares. I have not had any salesman try to tell me there is something wrong with any of my weeks. They know better. I have very desirable resorts that they try to sell points to get people to go there.

If you understand the system, there is everything to like.

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For the record I’m at GO it’s a beautiful day traded a bronze week that Marriott gave me when I bought the platinum week so there is no complaint there. Also using dc pts for more days. But had to laugh when they couldn’t understand why I didn’t want to spend 28000 more. They also told me only 50 weeks at GO are legacy owners everyone else also own the trust so what’s the matter with us.

They gave you a bronze week but I'll bet you pay the annual maintenance fee. I view that as a huge liability.

They took you on that one. There were excess bronze weeks unsold, so they wanted someone, anyone to pay a maintenance fee.

Hope you're aware that you can probably rent that bronze week for less than the maintenance fee. Or rent the DC points and stay there even for less than renting outright.

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course they did that. Why would I care I go everywhere on it.its my trade week. Why would I rent it. Going to France next September. Went to Spain last September. And Hawaii the year before that. Oh and Aruba and st Martin lol I’ll survive

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my weeks and read the fine print. The only thing you were ever purchasing was the ability to use your week at your resort in your season, all the other stuff could be changed at any time. Yes, I have had great trades. Yes, I have enrolled and got great stays with points. But if I was "stuck" having to only go back to my two home resorts ever year I would be happy. I know what I was buying and glad I did.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

First of all, "Only 50 weeks at GO are legacy"? I sincerely believe that's a total fabrication,
and I'd like to talk to that sales person and put money on it.
That's one of the best lines I've ever heard.
Frankly GO has far more legacy owners than most other Marriott resorts.

They gave you a bronze week but I'll also bet you pay the annual maintenance fee.
I view that as a huge liability.

They took you on that one, at least in their minds. There were excess bronze weeks unsold, so they wanted someone, anyone, to pay that maintenance fee.
Ebay is selling these week to week for $1, and 99% of the time they never sell.

Hope you're aware that you can probably rent that bronze season week for less than the maintenance fee, so why own it? Or rent the DC points and stay there even for less than renting outright.

UNLESS.....
The only way you'll come out ahead (as you're doing now) is by up-trading
to a better season.
It's probably not a hard trade, so if you're happy and can always get your trades during this season, I will say "thank goodness"
and hope the experience continues. In this limited case, I cannot argue your taking on the week.....

Last edited:

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had a bad trade with the bronze week. Never used it in season. Always fun to talk to a person who payed between 10000 and 20000 for the same thing. Let’s put it this way I can’t rent a week at places I go for less than the maintenance fee I pay. It’s fun to be taken see you in Hawaii next year