• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Out of Country Health Coverage for Canadian's travelling to US

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
I suffered from Heart Issues this year, had a mild heart attack which resulted in a quad. by pass surgery and they discovered cancer of the thymus gland when they did the surgery. They removed the cancer and I had radiation after that. I feel fine right now.

We go to Florida for 3 weeks every winter. I have looked into getting out of the country health coverage. I complete the application and at the end they say "sorry we cannot provide you with coverage".

I am looking to my fellow Canadian's who have similar health issues and successfully purchased insurance.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how it works for Canadians, but we buy primary it pays first) travel insurance. If bought within a few days (10 or so) of paying the deposit on the travel, it covers pre-existing conditions. We buy through www.squaremouth.com/ it allows side-by-side comparisons and only asks age and total trip cost. Again, I don't know if any of their companies (squaremouth is a broker) cover Canadians, but it doesn't cost anything to fill out an application. It paid off handsomely for me last Summer in Europe.

Jim

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suffered from Heart Issues this year, had a mild heart attack which resulted in a quad. by pass surgery and they discovered cancer of the thymus gland when they did the surgery. They removed the cancer and I had radiation after that. I feel fine right now.

We go to Florida for 3 weeks every winter. I have looked into getting out of the country health coverage. I complete the application and at the end they say "sorry we cannot provide you with coverage".

I am looking to my fellow Canadian's who have similar health issues and successfully purchased insurance.

Try your local CAA office. A few years ago we were able to buy a policy that only had a 7 day stabilization required for pre-exisiting conditions. Was pricey, but so worth it!

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Try your local CAA office. A few years ago we were able to buy a policy that only had a 7 day stabilization required for pre-exisiting conditions. Was pricey, but so worth it!
PrairieGirl
What is pricey?

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
What companies have you tried? How long have you been stable?
There is CAA mentioned above, Blue Cross, RBC have travel insurance, Medipac?

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What companies have you tried? How long have you been stable?
There is CAA mentioned above, Blue Cross, RBC have travel insurance, Medipac?
Chrisky
The problem is my surgery was May 29th this year and I have a follow-up with my Doctor on December 10. We leave on February 12/20 so it would be considered a pre existing condition. I have tried RBC and TD and CAA. I filled out application online, never actually spoke to anyone in person.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, some companies cover pre-existing conditions, but you have to be stable for 90 days, or no drug changes for 90 days before your departure date.
Try Medipac but you might want to call them.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Chrisky
The problem is my surgery was May 29th this year and I have a follow-up with my Doctor on December 10. We leave on February 12/20 so it would be considered a pre existing condition. I have tried RBC and TD and CAA. I filled out application online, never actually spoke to anyone in person.

Also try Great West Life. You may have better luck calling and speaking to somebody rather than just filling out a form on the web. DH had to do that when one of my medications was changed a few weeks before we were leaving for 3 mos out of the country 2 years ago. The woman at Great West asked some more detailed questions in addition to what was on the form and asked me to have my Dr to fax her some info. In the end they accepted my application and there was a very slight price difference from the same coverage (& time) the year before. Good Luck!

~Diane

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
The previous post mentioned GWL ... I second the use of a life insurance company. My friend used a different one, feel free to message me for info.

You sound thorough, so I imagine you've already check with your current life insurance company.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
PrairieGirl
What is pricey?
The premium was almost double what the normal premium would have been. But my husband had a medication change shortly before we were heading out and you know what that does to the "stability" clause for pre-exisiting conditions! We would not have known that the more expensive 7 day option was available if we hadn't been sitting across the desk from someone in the CAA office. It certainly isn't something that's available on-line.

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The premium was almost double what the normal premium would have been. But my husband had a medication change shortly before we were heading out and you know what that does to the "stability" clause for pre-exisiting conditions! We would not have known that the more expensive 7 day option was available if we hadn't been sitting across the desk from someone in the CAA office. It certainly isn't something that's available on-line.
Thank you prairiegirl, will check this option out. Double is better than a huge hospital bill.

Reactions: Tia

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ben, I forgot to mention that we carry a 60 day annual plan, not sure if they offer the 7 day option on single trip insurance plans. But certainly worth a phone call! Best of luck with finding something. Yes, it is SO worth it to have proper travel insurance. My husband ended up with a 6 hour visit to the ER in Arizona that would have cost us almost $10,000 US. The insurance paid it ALL.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Even on the more expensive plans, be sure you fully understand the "pre existing" and "stable" clauses. I had heart issues about 10 years ago and have been "stable for the past 8. Last year my doctor actually reduced the meds I was taking. I thought this was a good thing but when I asked our insurer they told me I am now starting a new period of proving i am "stable". Even a good change in your condition is considered a change and can make you un-insurable for a new period of time.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even on the more expensive plans, be sure you fully understand the "pre existing" and "stable" clauses. I had heart issues about 10 years ago and have been "stable for the past 8. Last year my doctor actually reduced the meds I was taking. I thought this was a good thing but when I asked our insurer they told me I am now starting a new period of proving i am "stable". Even a good change in your condition is considered a change and can make you un-insurable for a new period of time.

So true! I found that to be just amazing - You would think that eliminating meds would be a GOOD thing, but eliminate (or reduce) a med or add (or increase) a med, the insurance companies treat it the same.