• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After 3 Vaping Deaths, CDC Recommends Not Using E-Cigarettes

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Another thing I have always wondered about is cause and effect of tabacco? If you look at the percentage of people that smoked Tobacco in the 1960's as compared to today there has been a huge drop off. Yet there has not been a similar drop off in COPD, Heart Disease, Lung Disease, etc.

When I asked some Medical Researchers and Industrial Hygienists I know this question. Their honest response was that it can not be demonstrated scientifically that Tobacco is a direct causative factor. It can be demonstrated that tobacco is a contributing factor. But other factors are enviromental, gentics, etc. One of the researchers recalled the experiment from a couple decades ago that allegedly demonstrated that a certain sugar substitute caused bladder (?) Cancer in Lab Rats. She said that when this Study was closely examined that the Rats were being forced to drink when upsized to a human being would be the equivalent of a railroad car of the drink. So did the sugar substitute cause the problem or the irritation from the huge quantity?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing I have always wondered about is cause and effect of tabacco? If you look at the percentage of people that smoked Tobacco in the 1960's as compared to today there has been a huge drop off. Yet there has not been a similar drop off in COPD, Heart Disease, Lung Disease, etc.

When I asked some Medical Researchers and Industrial Hygienists I know this question. Their honest response was that it can not be demonstrated scientifically that Tobacco is a direct causative factor. It can be demonstrated that tobacco is a contributing factor. But other factors are enviromental, gentics, etc. One of the researchers recalled the experiment from a couple decades ago that allegedly demonstrated that a certain sugar substitute caused bladder (?) Cancer in Lab Rats. She said that when this Study was closely examined that the Rats were being forced to drink when upsized to a human being would be the equivalent of a railroad car of the drink. So did the sugar substitute cause the problem or the irritation from the huge quantity?

Many vaping products have been found to contain potentially harmful substances, including flavoring chemicals, Vitamin E acetate and other oils used for vaping marijuana. Know your source when you purchase any vaping product. Don't, like many of those have done, buy these off the street or from some unknown "business" on the internet. Many individuals are also vaping cannabis oil. It seems some in the medical field don't believe that THC itself is causing the problems, but the oils and other ingredients used to produce the vapor. Given this, if someone chooses to use THC, make your delivery system something other than vaping.

Vaping has been found to be a viable method to quit smoking. The inhalation of burning tobacco is well established to be carcinogenic. That means smoking can cause cancer. It is established science. Smoking contributes in a major way to almost all cancers, especially lung cancer and heart disease. Heart disease and cancer are the top two causes of death in the United States and kill about half of the people who die.

This article, by the New England Jounal of Medicine, was published on January 30, 2019, at NEJM.org.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1808779

"Both e-cigarettes and nicotine-replacement products were perceived to be less satisfying than cigarettes. However, e-cigarettes provided greater satisfaction and were rated as more helpful to refrain from smoking than nicotine-replacement products".

The conclusion from this study was:

"E-cigarettes were more effective for smoking cessation than nicotine-replacement therapy, when both products were accompanied by behavioral support."

My advice, for those that are trying to quit smoking, vaping can help. If you don't smoke, don't start vaping. If you decide you want to vape, know the company you're buying the products from.

Many of those products causing these illnesses are obtained off the street or from sub-standard companies on the internet and many contain diacetyl, acetyl propionyl, ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, acrolein or acetoin. One company I know of, will provide the lab report outlining what is in it's product. The lab report is available and was conducted by, Merieux NutriSciences. They provide laboratory analyses worldwide and employ over 7,000 in 25 countries.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I buy only VUSE Products from Costco.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Sixth Person Dies From Vaping-Linked Lung Disease
By Angelica LaVito/ Health and Science/ CNBC/ cnbc.com

"A Kansas man died from a mysterious lung disease tied to vaping, state officials said Tuesday. At least six people have now died from the illness as part of an outbreak that has sickened hundreds.

Kansas officials said the man, who was over the age of 50, had underlying health problems. He was hospitalized and his symptoms progressed rapidly, according to a press release. Kansas officials do not have information on what products the man had used.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating 450 possible cases of the disease, which they think may be linked to vaping. Federal health officials are urging people to avoid vaping while they investigate the outbreak...."

106122048-1568134642728gettyimages-1151854000.jpeg

A person exhales vapor while using an electronic cigarette device in San Francisco.
David Paul Morris | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Richard

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Vaping should be banned, imo. Many people with borderline mental problems have gone over the edge from vaping legal thc oils. Many people get addicted to nicotine from vaping.

Bill

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, just heard about the 6th person

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How many people are estimated to be vaping in the USA? Next questions how many have actually died by vaping “only.” With no Other health, mental or medical conditions.

How many people are estimated to be smoking in the USA and how many are dying from tobacco and nicotine each year in the USA.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many people are estimated to be vaping in the USA? Next questions how many have actually died by vaping “only.” With no Other health, mental or medical conditions.

How many people are estimated to be smoking in the USA and how many are dying from tobacco and nicotine each year in the USA.

I think too many. :ponder:

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ut-mysterious-vaping-linked-illnesses-deaths/
Vaping has risen dramatically in popularity around the world — from 7 million users in 2011 to 35 million a few years ago — as smoking rates decline.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/vaping-lung-illness-mystery-causes
Experts Have A Few Different Theories For What’s Behind The Outbreak Of Vaping Illnesses

Depending on the source, the number can be anywhere from 7 million to over 10 million.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/health/vaping-outbreak-2019-explainer/index.html
"Before the death in Kansas, five deaths were reported in California, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Oregon."

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p0118-smoking-rates-declining.html
Smoking is down, but almost 38 million American adults still smoke
"It kills more than 480,000 Americans each year. For every person who dies this year from smoking, there are over 30 Americans who continue to live with a smoking-related disease."

https://talbottcampus.com/alcoholism-statistics/
More than 65 million Americans report binge drinking in the past month, which is more than 40 percent of the total of current alcohol users.
According to the United States Centers for Disease Control (CDC), more than 88,000 people die from alcohol-related deaths each year in the United States.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vaping should be banned, imo. Many people with borderline mental problems have gone over the edge from vaping legal thc oils. Many people get addicted to nicotine from vaping.

Bill

I won't endorse or condemn Vaping however, we need to ask ourselves if we ban vaping, do we also ban tobacco and alcohol? These are just two products that are known to cause death and serious health issues. We know it and have known it for many, many years, yet both are still legal and available for purchase.

Unlike most tobacco products, with vaping you can choose the amount the nicotine you want.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't endorse or condemn Vaping however, we need to ask ourselves if we ban vaping, do we also ban tobacco and alcohol? These are just two products that are known to cause death and serious health issues. We know it and have known it for many, many years, yet both are still legal and available for purchase.

My wild ass guess is that the way this will all play out in the long run is that Health Insurance Companies will push to deny coverage for anything linked (in their opinion) to smoking or vaping. Alcohol may be a tougher sell on their part. Like I said, this is nothing but a wild ass guess...

George

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wild ass guess is that the way this will all play out in the long run is that Health Insurance Companies will push to deny coverage for anything linked (in their opinion) to smoking or vaping. Alcohol may be a tougher sell on their part. Like I said, this is nothing but a wild ass guess...

George

George, I think you hit the nail on the head.

As it stands, smokers will find themselves paying 15-20% higher premiums than non-smokers. Once the dust settles on vaping and they understand just what it is that's causing these issues, higher premiums are in the works. Just like smokers have come to accept that fact, so will those that choose to use vaping products.

Just like alcohol and tobacco use remains a free choice, so should the use of vaping products.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500

Bill

So we only allow people to smoke tobacco?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My dad, some 50 years ago, said about smoking a pipe (substitute vaping here), "It gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to put in his mouth."

Jim

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So we only allow people to smoke tobacco?

Never thought I would say so but we should ban or heavily restrict all smoking / vaping for the obvious reasons.

Bill

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Never thought I would say so but we should ban or heavily restrict all smoking / vaping for the obvious reasons.

Bill

Right answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill

Keep in mind you're opening a dangerous door here. Should we also include alcohol in this "ban"?

The illnesses and deaths caused by alcohol is quite documented. With the consumption of alcohol, you not only have the dangers to the individual, you also have the dangers to others around, just like smoking. The leading cause of death on U.S. roads is drunk driving. In 2017, 10,874 people were killed in these crashes. On average more than 10,000 people die every year in drunk-driving crashes.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Keep in mind you're opening a dangerous door here. Should we also include alcohol in this "ban"?

The illnesses and deaths caused by alcohol is quite documented. With the consumption of alcohol, you not only have the dangers to the individual, you also have the dangers to others around, just like smoking. The leading cause of death on U.S. roads is drunk driving. In 2017, 10,874 people were killed in these crashes. On average more than 10,000 people die every year in drunk-driving crashes.

The technology exists to prevent drunk driving. The technology exists to prevent phone usage while driving. I think that using technology to restrict impaired driving should be the norm. As far as an outright ban on alcohol I think no. Regarding further restriction on alcohol I would think sure.

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The technology exists to prevent drunk driving. The technology exists to prevent phone usage while driving. I think that using technology to restrict impaired driving should be the norm. As far as an outright ban on alcohol I think no. Regarding further restriction on alcohol I would think sure.

Bill

Yes, the technology does exist and has for a few years. Requiring auto makers to install that technology in every vehicle manufactured is perhaps years or decades away, if at all. We also know that no technology is flawless.

Whether it be smoking, drinking, vaping, drugs, etc., the truth of the matter is, as hard as any of us try, you simply can't save people from themselves.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the technology does exist and has for a few years. Requiring auto makers to install that technology in every vehicle manufactured is perhaps years or decades away, if at all. We also know that no technology is flawless.

Whether it be smoking, drinking, vaping, drugs, etc., the truth of the matter is, as hard as any of us try, you simply can't save people from themselves.

You left out a word, can’t save ALL people from themselves. We can save a lot of lives and we should keep trying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500

Bill

So let's ban all alcohol. Do you realize how many lives are ruined every year by drunk drivers? Then there are the diseases/health problems associated with alcohol. How many people are incur serious injuries due to football, basketball, gymnastics, etc.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So let's ban all alcohol. Do you realize how many lives are ruined every year by drunk drivers? Then there are the diseases/health problems associated with alcohol. How many people are incur serious injuries due to football, basketball, gymnastics, etc.

Come on. Tobacco kills three times as many people than alcohol. These products are very different. You are comparing apples to oranges. Tobacco kills three times as many people than alcohol doesn't include all secondary deaths due to second hand smoke. Vape smoke isn't harmless. It isn't like water vapor but is an aerosol that contains ultra fine cancer causing particles.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How about they ban marijuana? Well, it technically is at the federal level. What about cars? Too many people die in car accidents every year. I don't smoke, never have smoked but as one mentioned, you can't save people from themselves. You ban one thing, then something like alcohol becomes the biggest killer and it is up next. It is a slippery slope, and even as a non smoker I am grateful for the personal liberties we are afforded in this country. Don't start taking them away because you don't like something.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Come on. Tobacco kills three times as many people than alcohol. These products are very different. You are comparing apples to oranges. Tobacco kills three times as many people than alcohol doesn't include all secondary deaths due to second hand smoke. Vape smoke isn't harmless. It isn't like water vapor but is an aerosol that contains ultra fine cancer causing particles.

Bill

Show me the peer review studies and articles that demonstrate Vape Smoke contains ultra fine cancer causing particles. Not something off the Internet. But legitimate peer reviewed publications.

Alcohol causes a lot more problems than just car accidents. How many families/childhoods that have been ruined by alcohol or alcohol abuse. How many marriages have been destroyed by alcohol.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Show me the peer review studies and articles that demonstrate Vape Smoke contains ultra fine cancer causing particles. Not something off the Internet. But legitimate peer reviewed publications.

Alcohol causes a lot more problems than just car accidents. How many families/childhoods that have been ruined by alcohol or alcohol abuse. How many marriages have been destroyed by alcohol.

There are plenty of studies that show alcohol used in moderation can produce health benefits. Only when it is abused does it become a problem. There are no studies showing tobacco or vaping have any health benefits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk