• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Added as co owner without permission. Other co owner has passed away.

SleepyMama

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Seasons
My mom tried to plan ahead and put one kid as co owner of each of her timeshare weeks. One of her weeks has all three children as co owners.

They are all at the same resort. I want to sell my week, but I am interested in buying out my brothers for the week we share, mainly just for the fee for the quit claim deed if they will let me.

The week I own is next week. I was going to use it for part of the week and talk to the management company while I was there. My brother thinks using it at all is a bad idea, because then I can't file a disclaimer of interest. Can I even file a disclaimer of interest? Or is that only if I inherit? Any assistance is appreciated.

None of these weeks have mortgages.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt that you can disclaim if you are on the Deed. More than likely you are a Joint Tenant and will automatically assume the decedent's share...

George

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I doubt that you can disclaim if you are on the Deed. More than likely you are a Joint Tenant and will automatically assume the decedent's share...
I would talk w/ a lawyer. Seems unlikely that someone couldn't disclaim the property if they never signed anything where they accepted to be on the deed (the OP stated they were put on the deed w/o permission). If that were not the case, what would stop any Average Joe from putting you on a deed a worthless timeshare, George? Do you think you would be held responsible for the maintenance fees then?

Kurt

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems unlikely that someone couldn't disclaim the property if they never signed anything where they accepted to be on the deed (the OP stated they were put on the deed w/o permission). If that were not the case, what would stop any Average Joe from putting you on a deed a worthless timeshare, George? Do you think you would be held responsible for the maintenance fees then?

My guess if it is one of the Majors, they will try expecting the person on the Account to cave. The question then is what will the aggrieved then do...

George

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Is your mother still alive? Or has she passed (in that case, sorry for your loss)?

In the latter case, I agree with your brother. I wouldn't use the place or otherwise accept any benefit from it (say, by exchanging it) until I had decided whether to disclaim. Consult with a knowledgeable attorney to be sure.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Is your mother still alive? Or has she passed (in that case, sorry for your loss)?

In the latter case, I agree with your brother. I wouldn't use the place or otherwise accept any benefit from it (say, by exchanging it) until I had decided whether to disclaim. Consult with a knowledgeable attorney to be sure.
Competent legal advice is called for here.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
You had to sign in order to be an owner. A "co-owner" can't be added by phone after the fact. Get / post here a copy of the deed

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
DR lets us add family members as users, but this doesnt convey 'co-owner' status.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk