• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco took away my favorite cut of steak: a carnivore's lament

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That’s a shame. I personally haven’t bought it and don’t know how to grill it, but we had ribeye cap from Costco at our friends house and it was delicious!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Darn. Seems like I'm the last one to the party and the goodies are gone.

Jim (salivating)

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We used to get it regularly at Costco, however, since we've been eating better, we went back to the rib eye (prime grade from Costco of course!!!). The caps had just too much fat, but delicious! I'm off to Costco after breakfast and if they still have any, will pick one up to share with DH!

Ingrid

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love the Costco ribeye caps. Upon reading this, I headed out to Costco and found 5 trays of these and took them all. Maybe it is just LA area that they have stopped carrying? @DaveNW please check this for us! Thank you!

An update: I just spoke with the meat dept and they checked with each other and said they have not heard that it has been discontinued. Regardless, I am taking these home.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We grill and smoke meats often. I was so embarrassed a few weeks ago after we spent a small fortune on six prime rib-eye caps from Costco for dinner with guests. They were full of gristle, tough and nothing like a prime piece of meat. Never again. The only meats we've had luck with from Costco are pork shoulders for the smoker and pork chops. The roasted chicken is also good. We've tried various cuts of beef to no avail. I'll stick to the butcher or Whole Food's.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We love the Costco ribeye caps. Upon reading this, I headed out to Costco and found 5 trays of these and took them all. Maybe it is just LA area that they have stopped carrying? @DaveNW please check this for us! Thank you!

An update: I just spoke with the meat dept and they checked with each other and said they have not heard that it has been discontinued. Regardless, I am,taking these puppies home.

I know regionally they may have different cuts, depending on what is being brought in. I’d be very surprised if something so popular would just go away, especially if they make it in the warehouse like that. I’ll ask, but doubt I’ll learn anything new.

Dave

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

An update: I just spoke with the meat dept and they checked with each other and said they have not heard that it has been discontinued. Regardless, I am,taking these puppies home.

A year or two ago Costco said they were going to eliminate the Hot Dog & Soda $1.50 deal. The rumor spread all around the country; as it turned out it wasn't true (or they changed their minds).

Hot Dog & Soda for $1.50 is alive and well at all Costcos.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We grill and smoke meats often. I was so embarrassed a few weeks ago after we spent a small fortune on six prime rib-eye caps from Costco for dinner with guests. They were full of gristle, tough and nothing like a prime piece of meat. Never again. The only meats we've had luck with from Costco are pork shoulders for the smoker and pork chops. The roasted chicken is also good. We've tried various cuts of beef to no avail. I'll stick to the butcher or Whole Food's.
If you like beef rare to medium, you won't like these. They need to be cooked to at least medium well for fats to drain off, leaving tender flavorful beef. We bought 3 trays of these on Monday, cooked one tray on Tuesday and used the leftover to make potato hash for dinner last evening. The other 2 trays went into our freezer.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A year or two ago Costco said they were going to eliminate the Hot Dog & Soda $1.50 deal. The rumor spread all around the country; as it turned out it wasn't true (or they changed their minds).

Hot Dog & Soda for $1.50 is alive and well at all Costcos.

I’d never heard they were eliminating the hot dog. I’d heard they were eliminating the Polish dog, which they did. The $1.50 hot dog and soda deal is a Costco loss leader that brings people in off the street. They’d be foolish to eliminate that. They make millions in associated sales.

“When we finish our hot dogs, let’s go in the warehouse and see what’s new.”

Cha-Ching! :)

Dave

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Tri-tips sold well here, and I loved them as they were a little piece of the west coast for me and the only place to find them. In the end, Costco still discontinued them...said it was a decision based on sales in the entire region.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Tri-tips sold well here, and I loved them as they were a little piece of the west coast for me and the only place to find them. In the end, Costco still discontinued them...said it was a decision based on sales in the entire region.

Where is "here?"

Dave

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I sent Dave a pm about my location in the Southeast. Like the Marie Callendar's corn bread mix, some things just come and go at Costco. I've had my membership since the 1980's when they were still Price Club, and I imagine I'll continue to have it no matter what!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now we have a tray in the fridge to be cooked tonight and another 6 trays sitting in the freezer. Our luck has been that whenever we like something that is carried exclusively in a store, it gets discontinued. Our favorite from Trader Joe's was their pre-seasoned frozen rack of lamb and after about 15 years since our discovery, they discontinued it about a year ago. We always had about 10 racks in our freezer. We still have 2 racks left.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I found it in my local Costco today! Will give it a try this weekend.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found it in my local Costco today! Will give it a try this weekend.
Make sure you cook to medium well or well for the fats to drain out. We use our air fryer to cook these at 370 F, turning it halfway. Outside will be crusty. If you cook at 360 F, it will not be as crusty which works as well.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNW Do you have news from your wife yet? Thanks! :)

Ok, I asked again today. I was told the meat department guy said, "We don't do those here, so have no idea if they're discontinued elsewhere. They aren't one of our items." :shrug:

That says to me it must be a local warehouse thing. If our warehouse doesn't make/sell them, then it might be discretionary at the local warehouse level. And that could explain why some warehouses have them, and some don't.

Sorry I can't be more help. But I'd say if you see them and want them, buy them.

Dave

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I'd say if you see them and want them, buy them.

Dave

This is pretty much our Costco philosophy. If you don’t want to miss out, better to buy it now and return if you change your mind.

I know better, but I didn’t follow my own advice a few months ago. Was looking for 2 more Adirondack chairs for our lake house. Also knew I needed to haul a full van load of kids the week before the 4th of July and wanted to buy them and not have to take in/out of van multiple times. Waited until the Sunday before, and even though there was plenty of stock on Wed, they were out of the warehouse by Sunday. Ended up buying online, but cost was higher (due to shipping) and didn’t have them in time for the 4th of July. Lesson learned again.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Make sure you cook to medium well or well for the fats to drain out. We use our air fryer to cook these at 370 F, turning it halfway. Outside will be crusty. If you cook at 360 F, it will not be as crusty which works as well.
My friend told me he followed this video. Sounds delicious. I might give it a try.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, please inform the front desk management that your favorite steak has been discontinued and asked them are they going to carry it in the near future.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This is pretty much our Costco philosophy. If you don’t want to miss out, better to buy it now and return if you change your mind.

That's the way to do it. Just know if you return fresh meat like we're discussing, it'll go in the trash. Even if it's wrapped, secure and safe, they have to throw it away. Next time you're in the refund line the day after a holiday, look at the people returned huge, expensive cuts of meat, or whole hams or whatever. They'll get their refund, but the meat goes in the garbage.

Dave