• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Week - Unit Selection Priority.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I am going to the GO this weekend through an II exchange. My wife's cousin is going at the same time but will be arriving Sunday with a week they rented on Redweek.
I called up on Monday and requested a Starfish unit will a pool view. A reasonable request. I was told that they would be able to accommodate this but it would be a low floor which I am fine with. We discussed priority in room selection and it goes owners to DC points to II HHI exchanges to II Marriott exchanges to finally all other II exchanges. No surprises.

I had the other reservation number so I asked if they could be in the same building as long as it doesn't decrease the unit's view in the reservation. I was told that the other reservation is a rental and the renter gets treated like an II exchange.

The first question I asked was how did they know it was a rental? I got some double talk. Next I asked why a rental loses the owners view? Again I get some double talk.

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this? Does a Redweek verified week let the timeshare know it is a rental?

When I called I had no clue what the view of the rental unitwas but I will have it before I check in on Saturday and depending on what it is, I will try and ensure they get it.

I own fixed weeks so my rentals are straightforward.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think if the owner puts the stay in someone else’s name then it’s clear the owner isn’t staying.
Whether it’s rented for cash on redweek or gifted to cousin Clara it’s still a “rental” in the Marriott unit assignment pecking order.

I’ve experienced something along these lines when I used an ii exchange to go back to my home resort- I was no longer entitled to owner priority. Just the way they do it.

Have a great stay.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to the GO this weekend through an II exchange. My wife's cousin is going at the same time but will be arriving Sunday with a week they rented on Redweek.
I called up on Monday and requested a Starfish unit will a pool view. A reasonable request. I was told that they would be able to accommodate this but it would be a low floor which I am fine with. We discussed priority in room selection and it goes owners to DC points to II HHI exchanges to II Marriott exchanges to finally all other II exchanges. No surprises.

I had the other reservation number so I asked if they could be in the same building as long as it doesn't decrease the unit's view in the reservation. I was told that the other reservation is a rental and the renter gets treated like an II exchange.

The first question I asked was how did they know it was a rental? I got some double talk. Next I asked why a rental loses the owners view? Again I get some double talk.

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this? Does a Redweek verified week let the timeshare know it is a rental?

When I called I had no clue what the view of the rental unitwas but I will have it before I check in on Saturday and depending on what it is, I will try and ensure they get it.

This is news to me. Normally MGO treats DC and Marriott exchangers the same but with the changes where they often can't tell they are Marriott owners, that may impact the issues. I've never seen any indication that Marriott treats the renter of an owner any different. I wonder if this is through a third party or is actually an exchange being rented. The one thing MGO does do is alternate priority for owners, higher floor one year and lower the next. It could be the owner asked it to be lower this time to protect theymselves next time.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

This is not true. My renters may not get high floor consideration but they don't get put in an OS unit when I own OF.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is not true. My renters may not get high floor consideration but they don't get put in an OS unit when I own OF.

I agree and the first I ever heard of this. I check in on Saturday so when I do, I will look into what unit is assigned ( os, of or courtyard) for the Sunday checkin. I will also know what was actually rented.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two methods of adding a name to a rental. One is changing the primary name, which very well may lead to losing owner priority. The other is adding the name in the notes so the owner's name remains primary. That method definitely keeps the owner priority.

Marriott doesn't like leaving the owner name as primary if they are not going to be occupying which is why most reps started asking a couple years ago. That said there is no way for them to know whether the owner is going or not.

Another method of adding a name is simply calling the resort directly instead of calling MVC. You simply state that another occupant is checking in first and they will notate it. This works for any hotel reservation as well. Since you can't change the primary name if it is booked on points or with a certificate it is the only way to add someone else for check-in.

I hate calling so I generally always change the primary name myself. For II guest certificates that I get for friends and family I leave it in my name until the day before and then I add the certificate. By the day before the units are usually already assigned. MVC owners definitely get higher priority on II exchanges vs non-owners. I have even been given upgraded views at Barony and Surfwatch for II exchange reservations.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I agree and the first I ever heard of this. I check in on Saturday so when I do, I will look into what unit is assigned ( os, of or courtyard) for the Sunday checkin. I will also know what was actually rented.

Grande Ocean units were sold with only two unit/view designations: Oceanfront and Oceanside. In the Marriott reservation system, though, the Oceanfront units are referred to as, "close to ocean" and the Oceanside units are referred to as, "courtyard view." If you draw a horizontal line across the resort map just under the Sea Horse and Sand Castle buildings, units in the top portion are Oceanfront ("close to ocean") and units in the bottom portion are Oceanside ("courtyard view.")

Like others here I have never heard of front desk staff assigning to renters a unit type other than what the owner owns. If they're able to determine through whatever means that the owner is not staying then it's possible they move the renter/guest to the bottom of the list for placement among owners, sure, but not to a unit type other than what's owned.

(I'm not saying this is the case but Dean mentions the possibility that this Redweek rental could involve a third-party or exchange. If that's the case I'd be leery of calling any attention at all to the unit placement because technically, private rentals are allowed only by owners directly to their guests.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean units were sold with only two unit/view designations: Oceanfront and Oceanside. In the Marriott reservation system, though, the Oceanfront units are referred to as, "close to ocean" and the Oceanside units are referred to as, "courtyard view." If you draw a horizontal line across the resort map just under the Sea Horse and Sand Castle buildings, units in the top portion are Oceanfront ("close to ocean") and units in the bottom portion are Oceanside ("courtyard view.")

Like others here I have never heard of front desk staff assigning to renters a unit type other than what the owner owns. If they're able to determine through whatever means that the owner is not staying then it's possible they move the renter/guest to the bottom of the list for placement among owners, sure, but not to a unit type other than what's owned.

(I'm not saying this is the case but Dean mentions the possibility that this Redweek rental could involve a third-party or exchange. If that's the case I'd be leery of calling any attention at all to the unit placement because technically, private rentals are allowed only by owners directly to their guests.)

I believe the lower priority is what the person I spoke with meant and not changing the view, especially if it is Oceanfront or courtyard. It was a redweek verified unit. The interesting thing is Redweek gave a rental confirmation number to my Wife's cousin that was unrelated to the Marriott confirmation that I got from the GO. I am guessing but I think Redweek notifies a resort that it is a rental unlike most owners that keep their name on the reservation and just add the renter. This is the only way GO would know it was a rental. When I get there I am going to see what is on the confirmation shows the GO it is a rental. If in fact redweek lets the resort know and that translates into a low priority placement, I would never suggest renting a redweek verified unit. Personally when I rent my unit or rent from someone, my price of doing business is speaking to the person. It is a deal breaker for me. Been in technology 41 years but conversation and using a check is how I do business with timeshares.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I believe the lower priority is what the person I spoke with meant and not changing the view, especially if it is Oceanfront or courtyard. It was a redweek verified unit. The interesting thing is Redweek gave a rental confirmation number to my Wife's cousin that was unrelated to the Marriott confirmation that I got from the GO. I am guessing but I think Redweek notifies a resort that it is a rental unlike most owners that keep their name on the reservation and just add the renter. This is the only way GO would know it was a rental. When I get there I am going to see what is on the confirmation shows the GO it is a rental. If in fact redweek lets the resort know and that translates into a low priority placement, I would never suggest renting a redweek verified unit. Personally when I rent my unit or rent from someone, my price of doing business is speaking to the person. It is a deal breaker for me. Been in technology 41 years but conversation and using a check is how I do business with timeshares.

I'm not completely familiar with "Redweek Verified" but my understanding is that Redweek is simply a conduit for owners to find renters and vice-versa, and it's a designation Redweek members in good standing can choose to use. I don't remember ever hearing of Redweek directly notifying (and I don't think they'd have any standing to do so) any of the resorts which are rented by/for users of that site, for any reason.

It's interesting that you mention the confirmation number is different from the usual ones you see from Marriott. There are TUGgers who can recognize the origin of an interval based on confirmation numbers so if you're able to share at least the format (for example, "8-digits beginning with 8") then somebody may be able to confirm where the reservation came from.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not completely familiar with "Redweek Verified" but my understanding is that Redweek is simply a conduit for owners to find renters and vice-versa, and it's a designation Redweek members in good standing can choose to use. I don't remember ever hearing of Redweek directly notifying (and I don't think they'd have any standing to do so) any of the resorts which are rented by/for users of that site, for any reason.

It's interesting that you mention the confirmation number is different from the usual ones you see from Marriott. There are TUGgers who can recognize the origin of an interval based on confirmation numbers so if you're able to share at least the format (for example, "8-digits beginning with 8") then somebody may be able to confirm where the reservation came from.
I have often wondered about if/how the Interval confirmation numbers differentiate between types of reservations?
The numerous ones we have had have all been 8 digits, but beginning with 7, 8 or 9 for no logical reason I have been able to determine so far.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Here is the number b12-3456-7890
[Numbers changed just in case the actual reservation could be accessed by anyone reading here. Better safe than sorry. :) <-- SueDonJ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

You are right that Redweek never notifies the resort or sends them anything. Not even with their full service rentals do they notify the resort. This is because for most timeshares the owner is the only one that has the authority so they do not include that as part of the service. The only thing they do is call the resort to verify the reservation before adding the "verified" flag. In the case of Marriott reservations they can simply look online without calling.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
II on the other hand always notifies the resort. Not just on the confirm that we see that might indicate an exchange but another method.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Checked in today at the GO. I am in 8938 with the following view. Surprised I get this view with an II exchange.

Attachments

• AA3641C9-D26D-493D-8244-CFDDD55453C4.jpeg
    AA3641C9-D26D-493D-8244-CFDDD55453C4.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 45

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Third floor Starfish a little further back seems reasonable from both directions esp for mid August. Did you request Starfish?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I remember the old days when the Marriott Resorts in South Carolina "used" to provide Interval International exchangers with Villa views based upon how many Marriott MVCI weeks the person coming in on the exchange actually owned (at any MVCI Resort). I think this held true up until 2011 or so if my memory serves correctly.

I always remember how nice it was to go to Hilton Head on an exchange & always end up in an Oceanfront Villa. Those were the good old days!

It doesn't happen anymore for exchangers, and point owners can have an Ocean Front Villa if they are willing to "spend" more points for the upgraded view.

Of course actual owners of the Marriott South Carolina Resorts are always assigned to their view listed on their deed when they check in.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Third floor Starfish a little further back seems reasonable from both directions esp for mid August. Did you request Starfish?
I always request that building and ask for the pool view and I always request a room with no sofa in the 2 nd bedroom. This has been the last 4 times we have been to the grand ocean. This is only the second time we got the Starfish. One time we got a room in the Sand Dollar that had the sofa in the second bedroom. They switched us. One time we got a room in the Sand Castle. Personally, I like a nice view but the view has no impact on my stay as long as we get the 2 beds in the second bedroom.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember the old days when the Marriott Resorts in South Carolina "used" to provide Interval International exchangers with Villa views based upon how many Marriott MVCI weeks the person coming in on the exchange actually owned (at any MVCI Resort). I think this held true up until 2011 or so if my memory serves correctly.

I always remember how nice it was to go to Hilton Head on an exchange & always end up in an Oceanfront Villa. Those were the good old days!

It doesn't happen anymore for exchangers, and point owners can have an Ocean Front Villa if they are willing to "spend" more points for the upgraded view.

Of course actual owners of the Marriott South Carolina Resorts are always assigned to their view listed on their deed when they check in.

I was upgraded to Ocean Front at Barony in 2013 on an II exchange although I have been downgraded at Surwatch more recently.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Of all the annoyances with the MVC program this one annoys me the most.

I believe the resort steals your owner's status when they redesignate your week to the rental level when you have a guest occupying your usage. I don't care if the occupancy is for us, our friends, our family or someone who has reimbursed us the expenses of ownership, it is still our occupancy and should retain our owner status at the level of the method we used to reserve (owner, DC, II).

I understand there is a hierarchy for room location. Owners using owned weeks all the way down to renters. When I reserve a unit with DC points or through II, I know it will fall below my owned week. I'm willing to accept that. However, I'm not at all in agreement that my reservation should have a lower status if there is a guest on the reservation.

Ocean Pointe has made this a practice for years. I don't agree with it.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only if you change the primary. If you leave the primary alone and add a second name in the notes the priority stays the same at Ocean Pointe.

How do you make your room location requests? Do you send an email to the resort or use the online form?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you make your room location requests? Do you send an email to the resort or use the online form?

I use the link in the email they send out. Then later I call the resort directly to confirm the requests are put in place. The box in the form that is for adding additional reservation numbers is open for any format so I write in exactly what I want.