• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

opportunity to enroll external marriott shadow ridge week

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
polo towers , marriott shadow ridge , hyatt sunset beach
Been thinking this one over for years -I own a post 2010 platinum shadow week - cost 4,000 - 3075 pts and marriott has offered a few st kitts platinum week options ( I dont plan going there too often at all ) all options below are $1977 mtf / year
1) $35,100 = o side view plat - 4025 points bringing the total DP to 7100 pts -- one time bnus 6250 dc pts
2)$38,300 - gard view 4325 - pts plat week 7 total DP - 7400 pts- sign bonus - 8750 dc pts
3)$42,300- o view - 4700 pts plat week 7 = 7775 pts - bonus 10,000 dc pts
these total would get me to executive with a point purchase of approx $5 / point -
I feel this is my best chance to get in to point program , I am tired with II program , although i have been successful over the last 22 yrs . should I do it - I do want the flex of points and this is less than buying on resale mkt for points or another resale week . I need the experts out there for some advice.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I bought something similar to what you are doing but I got the resale directly from Marriott. Your maintenance per point would also be lower than if you had pure Destination Points. I had to determine if I was going to use the benefits that came with points enough to justify the purchase. I found value in the flexibility and I knew that I would be using the points system effectively for my vacations and stretching out those points. You will have to do that for yourself. I would suggest that you look at the loyalty tiers and determine if the executive tier benefits will be ones that you will use regularly.
It really comes down to will you really use your points and how you will use them. I will say that I originally was going to buy some platinum plus weeks at St. Kitts because they were cheaper and you can get a bunch of points for the maintenance fee. However, I did not buy St. Kitts because of the difficulty in selling it. Apparently, St. Kitts’ process for selling it is a little more involved. I had read here on TUG of some requirements there that made sales a little more difficult there. Plus, you add hurricane lane to which it belongs and I did not purchase there. I bought Aruba instead. Just some food for thought. I was like you in that I wanted points and the option I had from Marriott was better than if I went resale. I got plenty of great incentives that resale would not give you. Others will weigh in with their thoughts.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
$5 per point is pretty hard to beat, definitely cheaper than most all resale points. And with executive, you can take advantage of within 30 day re-bookings to make the points go further. Of course, it's also a lot of money too! But if the flexibility and ease, along with some additional time is worth it to you, not bad.

As csalter2 says, you have risk with St Kitts as far as extra MF due to hurricanes. Aruba is pretty much outside the hurricane zone, or Europe.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
$5 per point is pretty hard to beat, definitely cheaper than most all resale points. And with executive, you can take advantage of within 30 day re-bookings to make the points go further. Of course, it's also a lot of money too! But if the flexibility and ease, along with some additional time is worth it to you, not bad.

As csalter2 says, you have risk with St Kitts as far as extra MF due to hurricanes. Aruba is pretty much outside the hurricane zone, or Europe.
I am sure you are right that there is a risk with St Kitts being in the hurricane zone.
We have owned there almost from the opening though and the resort has had no related extra MFs throughout that period.
The island has fortunately escaped the severe hurricane damage of other places within the zone.
Even Hurricane Irma in 2017, the most powerful ever recorded in the Caribbean, which did hit the island only resulted in 2 properties being severely damaged or destroyed.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Been thinking this one over for years -I own a post 2010 platinum shadow week - cost 4,000 - 3075 pts and marriott has offered a few st kitts platinum week options ( I dont plan going there too often at all ) all options below are $1977 mtf / year
1) $35,100 = o side view plat - 4025 points bringing the total DP to 7100 pts -- one time bnus 6250 dc pts
2)$38,300 - gard view 4325 - pts plat week 7 total DP - 7400 pts- sign bonus - 8750 dc pts
these total would get me to executive with a point purchase of approx $5 / point -
I feel this is my best chance to get in to point program , I am tired with II program , although i have been successful over the last 22 yrs . should I do it - I do want the flex of points and this is less than buying on resale mkt for points or another resale week . I need the experts out there for some advice.
Would you go to Spain or Aruba more than St. Kitt's, if so, I'd buy where I might go that would get this done. All else equal I'd also look at the fees per point on the purchase side. I don't have all the numbers for Spain but I think the cheapest per point dues, all else fairly equal, will be Spain followed by Aruba Surf Club, then Aruba Ocean Club and lastly St. Kitt's. You also might pick up some other options like lockout's in some cases. I think Aruba will have less risk in terms of fees increases and weather damage comparatively speaking as well. One thing you might also consider is getting to Presidential by getting them to add in a resale week enrolled at a good option along the lines of what Carlito did in the hybrid purchase.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would you go to Spain or Aruba more than St. Kitt's, if so, I'd buy where I might go that would get this done. All else equal I'd also look at the fees per point on the purchase side. I don't have all the numbers for Spain but I think the cheapest per point dues, all else fairly equal, will be Spain followed by Aruba Surf Club, then Aruba Ocean Club and lastly St. Kitt's. You also might pick up some other options like lockout's in some cases. I think Aruba will have less risk in terms of fees increases and weather damage comparatively speaking as well. One thing you might also consider is getting to Presidential by getting them to add in a resale week enrolled at a good option along the lines of what Carlito did in the hybrid purchase.
Yes, all the Spanish resorts will have significantly lower MFs than Aruba or St Kitts.
Even our 3 Bed units in Playa Andaluza and Club Son Antem are around $1500, compared to our 2 Bed units in St Kitts at $2000.

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barry, are you in the point program with the spain properties , and did you buy in Spain , everyone telling me that you have to be there to buy and I am not even sure if they will enroll an external week at this time?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
RESCIND!!!!!!!!

Kidding, of course. Sounds like you've thought out this potential purchase well, and you're not under any pressure. Others are more familiar with the respective weeks they could offer you. As long as you have calcuated out the true total cost of the points vs. what they will get you based on your expected usage, and the value is there for you, you just need to decide which option to choose.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Barry, are you in the point program with the spain properties , and did you buy in Spain , everyone telling me that you have to be there to buy and I am not even sure if they will enroll an external week at this time?
I have been in contact with MVC CENTRAL SALES office in SLC. I inquired about the Aruba resale week. When I asked about Spain they told me they don’t come enrolled, and that ONLY Aruba weeks do (likely a lie). How convenient since I inquired about Aruba resale. On here I learned that you have to either be In Spain to buy or you can do it over the phone via the Spain sales office.
1. I hate being lied to.
2. Contact Spain sales office and see what they can offer you
3. Make sure everything is in writing before you sign.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Your cash outlay is quite high; Maybe you have it and maybe you have no problems in spending it. I wouldn't.

Instead, I would purchase 1,000 points directly from Marriott, and then rent additional points whenever I needed to do so. Using this scenario you can keep your hands in your pocket and spend your funds only as needed.

Take the points system for a test drive; if after a few years you find you are consistently renting X amount of points then you may want to consider more expensive options to activate your Marriott Shadow Ridge Week.

Note; 2020 will mark 10 years since the points conversion. Will Marriott offer owners a special deal to enroll weeks purchased after June 2010 and prior to June of 2020 ? Who knows; only time will tell.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been in contact with MVC CENTRAL SALES office in SLC. I inquired about the Aruba resale week. When I asked about Spain they told me they don’t come enrolled, and that ONLY Aruba weeks do (likely a lie). How convenient since I inquired about Aruba resale. On here I learned that you have to either be In Spain to buy or you can do it over the phone via the Spain sales office.
1. I hate being lied to.
2. Contact Spain sales office and see what they can offer you
3. Make sure everything is in writing before you sign.
I do think you have to contact Spain directly. Barry can probably say for sure.

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1,000 points would cost 14,000 from Marriott and $600 mf would not enroll my week so for $35,000 I would get 7100 points for $1900 mf , thats a lot of renting at .60 / point = $3600 - $4000 / yr in rentals ?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a UK resident and yes I bought developer weeks whilst in Spain many years ago now.
I enrolled these in the Points programme, when that option first became possible in June 2012.
I have since bought resale weeks in Spain from home, although through a 3rd party so these are not eligible for enrolment but we use them as home resort weeks so this was not an issue for us.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
1,000 points would cost 14,000 from Marriott and $600 mf would not enroll my week so for $35,000 I would get 7100 points for $1900 mf , thats a lot of renting at .60 / point = $3600 - $4000 / yr in rentals ?

If you are sure you will use 7100 points a year and value convenience, it may be better to own than rent, as long as the up-front cost doesn't present issues and you pay cash instead of financing. Rentals work for us as a way to supplement ownership, but since you can't bank or borrow rented points, they are less flexible and cancellations might make create issues with points that are at risk of being lost.

Having said that, the cost of renting is only $0.05 to $0.10 per point more expensive than the annual maintenance fees on owned points, so any purely financial analysis will strongly favor rentals. Paying that extra 5 to 10 cents cost per point will likely be much cheaper over the long run than paying $35K to $42K upfront to buy points. But, as I said above, rented points come with some limitations, so if flexibility, options, and convenience are important to you, the kind of deal you were offered are some of the best deals Marriott offers - but as others have noted, there are options built around Aruba and Spain weeks that might pencil-out even better.

Can I ask where and when you were offered these options? Was it in St Kitts or through Central Sales? It had been reported earlier this week that the summer promotion to enroll a previously-purchased post-2010 week ended on July 31, so it would be interesting if you were offered this after that date.

Last edited:

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Utah- is that central office no in st kitts - this offered by 7/31 deadline - I hear Aruba is $10,000 more for same points- approx- and you need to be in spain to purchase and no guarantee on external enrollment that i know of , so what you suggest is get in at lowest point price and rent ? What would be lowest point purchase to do this 1000 pts and no enrollment of shadow ridge , i didnt think you could do that ?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Utah- is that central office no in st kitts - this offered by 7/31 deadline - I hear Aruba is $10,000 more for same points- approx- and you need to be in spain to purchase and no guarantee on external enrollment that i know of , so what you suggest is get in at lowest point price and rent ? What would be lowest point purchase to do this 1000 pts and no enrollment of shadow ridge , i didnt think you could do that ?

I believe TUG member @Steve Fatula recently purchased a Spain week (remotely from Marriott resales office in Spain) for around $13k and posted that his week came enrolled (worth around 2,750 points annually, I believe). I'll have to look for his prior thread/post. He would be a good source for exactly how Spain resales purchased directly from Marriott work (as far as coming enrolled or not) and I believe his MF worked out to .41 per point (which I believe is among the lowest). Hopefully, he will see this and respond with more detailed info for you.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Simply not true. What everyone is telling you that is. You can buy over the phone or via email, chat, whatever without being in Spain. You just can't call the US call center. It did come enrolled. MF per point is now 47 cents. Purchase cost was $4.76/pt

PM me if any questions.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

If you don't currently own points, the minimum ownership is 1500 to get full benefits. They call that a Base Interest. So that is the minimum you would need to buy to be able to have all benefits. Under that scenario, any points you rent each year over and above the 1500 would have to be used in the use year you rent - i.e. - 2020 rented points would have to be used in 2020; 2021 rented points would have to be used in 2021; etc. The 1500 points you would own in that scenario could be banked and/or borrowed since you own them. This approach would not, however, enroll your Shadow Ridge week, so you would have to continue using II for that. If you want to stop using your Shadow Ridge in II, you will have to buy one of the packages from Marriott to get that enrolled. Also, if Executive Status is important to you, the rented points don't count. That status is only based on points you own.

It sounds like you mean they pitched the deal prior to July 31, but you haven't actually agreed to the deal yet? Since you didn't actually sign the paperwork prior to July 31, are you sure they are still honoring the enrollment of your Shadow Ridge week?

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes, still approved on enrollment but I need to make a move in next few days

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
yes, still approved on enrollment but I need to make a move in next few days

Don’t feel time pressured. I worked with them on my purchase for four months. The terms of the original agreement changed but always for the better. However, I always had the choice to go back to the initial offer.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Don’t feel time pressured. I worked with them on my purchase for four months. The terms of the original agreement changed but always for the better. However, I always had the choice to go back to the initial offer.

But were you trying to enroll a post-2010 externally-purchased resale week? I agree that the deals for typical hybrids, etc. aren't usually time-limited, but the post-2010 amnesty promotions certainly have been. I'm surprised they are willing to honor the recent promo with the OP not signing until after 7/31.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the deals for typical hybrids, etc. aren't usually time-limited, but the post-2010 amnesty promotions certainly have been.

Deals can be, I know you said typically and you are correct. In my Spain week case, there's only a handful of those units in the entire resort, so, when one comes up, pounce or lose it. But generally, I do agree that they try and make you think things are going away.

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
another question- in my purchase options I've stated ranging from $35 k - $42 , I am considering a fixed week in St Kitts - either week 7 or week 51 or possibly week 52 - for the fact of a stronger exit plan if I need to sell in future or simply want to rent the fixed week to get some return on investment the first couple of years and would it be a better value if I purchases a G view instead of OV fixed week. I figured for the extra 8-10k I may as well grab as many points for the same MF ? Once again I found out really no other options on weeks at other locations - Spain has no enrollment on resale and A surf club is much higher , not sure about ocean club though

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
another question- in my purchase options I've stated ranging from $35 k - $42 , I am considering a fixed week in St Kitts - either week 7 or week 51 or possibly week 52 - for the fact of a stronger exit plan if I need to sell in future or simply want to rent the fixed week to get some return on investment the first couple of years and would it be a better value if I purchases a G view instead of OV fixed week. I figured for the extra 8-10k I may as well grab as many points for the same MF ? Once again I found out really no other options on weeks at other locations - Spain has no enrollment on resale and A surf club is much higher , not sure about ocean club though
I think SC can be slightly less than OC because of the differences in the view types and the season Calendar since OC includes some of the weeks that are Platinum plus at SC. Personally I think you'll have more outs and more rental options on Aruba than St. Kitt's long term. Are you sure Spain doesn't enroll resale? Did you talk to them directly? Have they offered you the fixed or Plus weeks to do this?

You'll have to do the calculations on the various combinations of price vs points vs dues but I suspect the best balance is going to be Platinum OV 2 BR at SC. Another option is to put it off and pick up a couple more resale weeks as the options you're looking at should qualify to bring in 3 and likely even 7 weeks. That could cut your cost even more if you get good weeks to enroll. But it does carry risk that the options won't be there next year.

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks for input , not sure what you mean on those fixed or plus weeks when I spoke to Spain directly and they cant enroll my shadow ridge week and this is what their best offer was :
the price per point would work out at just $7.27 ($37,800/5,200) buying dc points and adding )free silver week 1950 pts to the purchase of 3250 dc pts- You would get 5,200 Vacation Club Points per year (3,250 + 1,950) for $37,800. MF's would cost $2518 / yr... the st kitts option calculates to approx $5.00 to 5.40 / pt on my options I posted and mf $1977