• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking Disney Resort w/ RCI points

Kell1095

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
El Dorado - Mexico
I’ve been reading through as many threads as I could find about this, but posting so I can get a direct answer. We have RCI points (total of 41 points) and wanting to book at a Disney World resort in Sept 2020 or Jan 2021. I’ve read it’s most likely we would get SSR if anything, which is 45 points. I won’t have enough points to book until Jan 2020, when I can deposit more and then I can set up my on going search with RCI.
Questions:

1. What are my chances of getting a Disney resort 1BR (ideally 2BR) within 9-12 months of setting up my alert?
2. If you stay on Disney property do you also receive all the benefits? Including free bus transportation to the parks? 60 day Fast passes, etc.?
3. Any recommendations on best & least crowded time to visit Disney World?

Thanks in advance! -Crystal

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Questions:

1. What are my chances of getting a Disney resort 1BR (ideally 2BR) within 9-12 months of setting up my alert?
2. If you stay on Disney property do you also receive all the benefits? Including free bus transportation to the parks? 60 day Fast passes, etc.?
3. Any recommendations on best & least crowded time to visit Disney World?

Thanks in advance! -Crystal

1. If you are flexible, I would think a 1BR at SSR is likely to happen.
2. Yes. Yes. Yes. DVC onsite resorts are just like any other onsite WDW resort (except with RCI, you pay an extra Disney fee). SSR does have free boat transportation to Disney Springs, which is fun.
3. The best IMO is the week before Thanksgiving (or the week after Thanksgiving in November if Thanksgiving falls early in the month). The weather is generally close to perfect and the holiday decorations are amazing. (But it is peak season for DVC bookings in general so not sure if I'd aim for that with RCI.) Late September has the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot and can be a good time for a visit (there is still a risk of sweltering heat or hurricanes, however). January (non-holiday) can be colder but crowds should be reasonable.

Kell1095

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
El Dorado - Mexico
Thank you! Does that also include free transportation from the airport to SSR on a Disney bus?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The $190 you pay to Disney directly does include the transportation to/from the resort, plus you can get the dining plan, if you choose to pay that incredibly high price for it. You can also have groceries delivered to Saratoga Springs easily enough.

Crowds are not as high in summer as they used to be. I was so miserable in the parks during June, and then we started going in October, but crowds are worse in October.

I would say that buying a subscription to something like touringplans.com could help you plan a trip during a slower time. But slow times are fewer and fewer. Good weather makes all of the difference in what you can put up with in the way of crowds, however. January, especially the 3rd and 4th weeks, are pretty good times to go.

I personally prefer early December for Christmas lights and January for low crowds and cool weather (it can even be cold).

If you decide that you want Disney, you might want to look into a low maintenance fee timeshare to add to your ownership. It's just a thought.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
From my observations over the past few years, there tends to be more availability in January and May. Often the point requirements will be even less for last minute stays (within 30 days or so). I exchange thru WM and the SSR 1BRs are normally 9,000 points, but the last minute ones are only 4,000. If that would work for you, perhaps your 41 points may even be enough. If you watch availability as it gets closer to January, you'll be able to see how low it gets so you can use that info for the following year. I don't think the last minute specials will show up on an OGS. You will see them in open inventory. Good luck. We love SSR. You can also do the Disney Dining Plan if you are interested in that. We don't use it but a lot of people do, and you can when exchanging. You just have to call Disney directly.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Kell1095 You should join TUG (pay $15) to have access to the sighting section.
There is a tons of post about Disney sighting in the sighting section.
Also, there is 2 sticky threads about Disney OGS matching (1 for 2018 and one for 2019) with over 400 posts each in the sighting section.

Kell1095

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
El Dorado - Mexico
Thank you youppi! What are the Disney sightings and what is the benefit to knowing about them? Also what is Disney OSG?

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you youppi! What are the Disney sightings and what is the benefit to knowing about them? Also what is Disney OSG?
The "Sightings" section appears at the bottom of the list of forums. Unlike most of these forums, that one requires you to be a paid member of TUG to gain access. For the $15 per year I consider it well worth it.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
When some TUG members search on II or RCI and find nice resorts available like Disney resorts, they post it on the sighting forum to alert other TUG members that are interested by that resorts at that check-in date to go to II/RCI and book them.

People put an On Going Search request for Disney resorts on RCI and when they get a match, they report it to the sticky thread in the sighting section to let other TUG members to know that you can get this Disney resort of this unit size and at this date.

Sticky section of the sighting forum looks like this
upload_2019-8-17_18-34-39.png

and sighting posts look like this
upload_2019-8-17_18-39-11.png

Last edited: